Title: Unquestionable Truth
Author: Erin J.
Email: Queenbosse@aol.com
Date Written (approx.): May-September 1999
Rating: PG-13 or R depending on how lightly one takes cursing and some situations.
Spoilers: Season 7. Uhh...well a tad here, a tad there...just basic stuff--no real specific identification of the events just intimated as already understood (in most cases). I'd also like to add that much of my inspiration for this story was fueled by most, if not all of Sarah Mclachlan's CD's "Surfacing" and "Mirrorball." (So, if you sort of want to understand the "feel" of the story more, those would be good places to start.) *Music of all kinds is inspiration*.
Classification: SRA--Story/Romance/Angst
Disclaimer: All characters, etc., belong to Chris Carter, 1013 Productions, and the Fox Network--oh, and not to mention the individuals that master them i.e., David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson, Mitch Pileggi, etc. No infringement or any other illegal action intended. The story is just some little spark of my imagination...and probably a small part of my sanity gone down the tubes...you decide. Oh, and by the way the format is in somewhat of a script form.

Summary: Romance of the more platonic, understanding, and unconditional level. Absolutions, assertions, revelations/discoveries, etc., are all part of this piece of mental magic.

Comments, discrepancies, quarrels, etc. are all welcome just email me at: Queenbosse@aol.com


Opening Teaser:

March 6, 2000
Dana Scully's Apartment
4:23 a.m.

Dana Scully writes in her journal as she sits in her near dark kitchen with a cup of coffee steaming next to her. As she writes her voice dictates her thoughts aloud

It seems as though the world has turn over and upside down a million times since I met him nearly seven years ago. Yet, with all that I have endeavored with him and by myself, I truly feel happy. True to the fact (that seems like a paradox of a statement etched so deeply into my life), we seemed to have gone to hell and back many times, and between the two of us have ducked under Death's finger what seems to be the lives of ten cats. It's an odd thing to say, but tragedy seems to be what makes our lives more complete and meaningful, while all at the same time makes our bond stronger and yet our souls a little more despaired.

The scene fades with the usual Mark Snow music, but it is more melodic.

March 4, 2000
8:56 a.m.
J. Edgar Hoover FBI Building, Washington, D.C.
Corridor in Front of Elevator

Mulder: Hey Scully! Hold up there a minute. Trust me you're ahead of Flo Jo (smiles devilishly--realizing his pun).

Scully: (turning around somewhat startled from a daze) Huh? Oh, Mulder. Sorry.

Mulder: What's with the speed walking? You got something on your mind, Red? (quirkily smiling at his own playfulness).

Scully: Don't I always have something on my mind? (looks up at him with a faint sign of fury in her eyes).

Mulder: I'm gonna take that as "none of your damn business." Okay, so you don't want to talk about your problems...well, I got one of mine to lay on ya. Scully, I have a dilemma with the logic in this new case Kersh gave us. I admit, yes I need logical guidance. I'm having troub--(stops as he sees her fury melt into tears at the corners of her eyes as she stares off).

Mulder reaches for Scully's arm knowing that she would rather not be publicly embarrassed in the corridor and gently leads her to an empty hallway. He sees that she clearly is in a state of dysphoria.

Mulder: Scully, what's wrong? You know you can't hold whatever it is back from me. Trust me Scully.

Scully lifts her head slightly revealing tearstained cheeks smudged with a little eyeliner. By now she is in total anguish of her emotions and cannot help but let Mulder support her as her legs weaken.

Scully: (Choking out small sobs) M-Mulder, something's wrong.

Mulder: (Guides her to a bench, puts his arm around her as he sits next to her, she buries her head in his chest) Scully? What's wrong? I've never seen your composure so depleted. At least not in these halls (he grumbles more to himself in an almost inaudible tone to hide his reflection and as not to belittle her ability of normally strong composure).

Scully: (Still sobbing slightly, stares up at him through glazed, blurry eyes) I-I don't know how to say it. Mulder, my life isn't my own. I'm not sure it ever has been. Everything is a...lie...

Mulder: Scully, you've been through a lot, granted, but it's doubtful your entire life has been a lie. I know your entire life hasn't been a lie, you know that too, Scully. Please, don't do that to yourself. Your honesty is part of my strength. I've lead you into the lies (he lowers his head in shame). If anyone's life is a lie, it's mine...you know as well as I do that my past is a damn spider web of lies. (Lifting his gaze again) What happened Scully?

Scully: I'm not sure what is happening to me. It seems like it's all coming back, only in a different...more devastating way. I'm losing my sanity...in shards. Mulder, I'm a puppet...a guinea pig. I....(trails off as she becomes more despaired).

Mulder tightens his arm around her shoulders and holds her closer.

Mulder: Come on let's go somewhere we can talk privately about what's troubling you. (In a desperate attempt to form a shadow of smile out of her somber expression:) You know how these walls seem to have ears...

Mulder gently pulls her to her feet as he stands, moving his arm from her shoulder down to her hand and leads her to the nearest exit. Now outside they walk together in an understanding silence to the parking lot. Mulder pulls his keys from his coat pocket as they near his car. They go around to the passenger side. He unlocks her door and opens it for her. She sits down and he shuts the door. He goes back to the driver's side and gets in the car. They sit for a few minutes appreciating their bond of all-knowing silence. Mulder places his hand over hers.

Mulder: (Turns to her and gazes down into her ocean-like eyes, breaking the silence:) Scully, what's going on? Who's pulling your strings?

Scully: (Sighs weakly) Mulder, (speaks slowly in an effort to level her voice and her thoughts) for the past several years we've hunted and scavenged for the answers and the truth that we have so desired. We have often come to hard truths that we still have difficulty in accepting. You have professed to"wanting to believe," and with my faith in you I have come to an understanding myself of your driving force. Yet, after all that we have experienced and acknowledged, my personal views and former understandings have altered to a point where I can no longer recognize reality... (Pauses as she prepares herself for what she is about to divulge:) In all my will I just can't accept it, or come to how it happened...(lowers her eyes from his understanding stare) Mulder, I'm pregnant.

Instinctively Mulder squeezes her hand, yet is unable to bring himself to a straight forward reaction, he sits shocked and awed of his partner's confession. In a blind impulse as a gesture to both console and congratulate her, he leans toward her, reaches for her chin, leans in as he lowers his head and closes his eyes. Their lips meet and he passionately kisses her. She returns the kiss lightly, yet affectionately. In the best way he can and has knowledge of trying to support her without using words which he could not possibly say for fear of coming out wrong, he just holds her until it seems as if eternity has passed them by. Tears slowly stream down her face onto his jacket as she trembles in his arms and she embraces him feebly.

Scully: (pulling back slightly) Mulder, I'm not sure of what to do. This situation is so precarious...I feel as though a part of me that was missing before, is now back in place, but a whole new part has been taken away. How can life be so arduous and operose? I'm at my wits end as far as even trying to understand or make sense of all the questions, the obstacles...even the answers and the so-called truths. Mulder, now more than ever I need answers (peering under her wet eyelashes at his lips as she gently kneads her own).

Mulder: I'm here for you Scully. We will find the answers like we always have...together. But first, you need to hear something else (pulls her chin up to meet his eyes with hers). You've probably always known this, but you seem to deny it every time I make an attempt to tell you...Dana Scully, I love you--

Scully suddenly, deftly maneuvers her body to reach his level and just as abruptly pushes her lips to his and kisses them hungrily, and passionately as if a sudden flame has managed to flicker out of her soggy tears. She is overcome with gratification, love, and devotion for the man before her and his declaration that she has so long waited for in its true nature.

Scully: I love you, Fox William Mulder (smiles subtly at her verbalization of his entire name).

Mulder smiles at her own declaration accompanied by the mention of his name. He loved the way she said it. It sent a shockwave of pure pleasure through his head down throughout his body. He knew now that his destiny, no matter what it had led him to or what it might lead him to, that the woman before his eyes was certainly the best part of fate that he had met. He knew, as he had for a long time that she was, if they existed, and even if they did not, she definitely was his savior...his angel. Just the same he vowed as he had vowed before that he would do anything for her. No matter the price, no matter the pain. She was worth it. Dana Katherine Scully is and has been his strength, his courage, his encouragement, his wisdom, his skeptic, his believer, his challenger, his martyr, his partner, his friend, and most importantly his lover...not his physical lover, but his lover in so many ways the physical nature mattered not. He would deny her nothing and offer her everything.

Mulder: (a sudden memory jolts his mind and his guilt starts to rise. He knows he must tell her, but the result might impair their trust.) I have something else to tell you. Something that I've held in for so long, for fear of causing you grief. Scully, you know how I can't bear to see you in pain...you mean so much to me...it pains me to see you go through agony and despair (their converging gazes remain locked in their soul-searching depths as he pauses before proceeding with unloading yet another burden, this one though a true weight to his shoulders).

*Suddenly Mulder's cellular phone rings and they both jump startled. He reaches for it with apprehension as he looks for her approval to take the call. She nods her head and stares out of the windshield.

Mulder: (Presses the on button then puts the phone to his ear) Mulder.

Skinner: (From the other end of the line) Mulder, where the hell are you?! You're supposed to be in a meeting. And where's Scully? She went to get you, and didn't come back.

Mulder: Damn! Yeah, we'll be right there (clicks off the line and places the phone back into his jacket). Skinner sure does know how to ruin a moment (sourly smiles, yet edges his patented lady-killer smile in). C'mon Scully. Back to the dungeon we go (reaches for the door handle and leans toward the door). Oh, Scully, catch this look (he flashes a stern look with the undertones of a smile and the message in his eyes of "this conversation is not over").

Scully: I know Mulder. This conversation is only suspended to a later time (responds to his expression as she knows it all too well and can read him like a book).

They both reach for the door handles and ease themselves out of the car. Mulder locks the doors and waits for Scully as she rounds the car. She is fishing in her pockets for a tissue or some agent of relief for her smeared make-up and sore eyes. Mulder reaches inside his suit jacket and pulls out a folded red handkerchief.

Mulder: (Handing her the handkerchief as she comes up next to him) I knew this would come in handy one time or another. And to think I was going to quit carrying them around all together.

Scully: (Takes the handkerchief) Thanks Mulder. You're my lifesaver.

They both smile equally in the understanding of the multitude of meanings harbored by her comment--for both their benefits. They walk back to the building in the silence they had left it with, yet now with a lighter air--not all unresolved, but lighter. Now in the building, they walk toward the stairs and begin ascending them.

Scully: (Checking her watch) Dammit! Mulder! I'm such a fool! They sent me to search for you over a half an hour ago. I completely forgot about the meeting as soon as I got off the elevator to look for you (she stumbles on a step)--ahh-shhiit!

Mulder: (His arm flies out to brace her as she teeters a little) a little out of it today, Scully? (smiles knowingly).

Scully: (Regaining her footing) Yes, I suppose you could call it that. More like over the edge, Mulder. But I'm okay, you've helped to bring me solace.

Mulder: I swear Scully, I'd be rich if had a dollar for every time you've told me you're okay. I don't need the money though...just as long as I've got my favorite treasure (he blushes slightly at his mushy sincerity).

Scully: (blushes) Mulder, you're charming in all-too granny way. Just don't forget to dust and polish me when I get old, okay?

Mulder: (grinning his sardonic smile) Why is that sarcasm or an intimation of wishful thinking, Agent Scully?

Scully: (Nudging him lightly as they finally near their desired level and head for the entry door) Head out of the gutter Agent Mulder, before these new hormones of mine decided to put it permanently into an eaves trough.

Mulder opens the door for her and follows as she passes through. He reaches for her right arm suddenly and pulls her back into the stairwell. She whirls around startled at his slight aggressiveness and instantly becomes alert as she was dazing again a brief moment ago.

Scully: Mulder! What the hell are you doing? Did you see something? (she blurts out all in a moment of panic and fear).

Mulder: No. Sorry, Scully. Didn't mean to scare you, but before we go in there I have to tell you something or I just might decide to push myself down these stairs. I feel awful for not telling you before-- Scully: (Gives him a look of "please not now" and a sigh as she interrupts) Mulder, the phrase "I feel awful" doesn't stand well with me at the moment. I know you want to get something off your chest, but right now we're almost forty-five minutes late for a meeting that started an hour ago. Please just do us both a favor and save it for after our ass-chewing.

Mulder: Scully, Woman...you're tearin' me apart. Okay, I'll do my best not to fling myself over this guard rail.

She smiles and reaches for the door this time and allows him to go ahead of her. Down the hall and to the right they turn, heading for Assistant Director Kersh's office.

Scully: (Turning to face Mulder) Is my eye make-up smeared still? (Wipes the handkerchief under her eyes for the tenth time.)

Mulder: (reaching for the handkerchief in her right hand) Yeah, you missed a spot--right here (puts his hand over hers, covering the handkerchief with his forefinger as he directs her to the spot and gently helps her wipe it away). As good as new Agent Scully. All polished again.

Scully flashes him a hopeful smile as they proceed to the office.

Scully: (Twisting the door knob to the A.D.'s office) You'd think after all the times we've been late they'd just leave the door ajar, but instead they insist on making a mockery of us...for what matter so insignificant.

Mulder: (Leans over and behind Scully, placing his hand on the small of her back and knocks on the door) Aww, then what fun would that be...we couldn't play trick or treat with the military and cigarette-smoking monsters (he says not masking his sarcasm with much effort in a vain attempt to mock his superiors).

Scully looks up at him with a grin. They both move back from the door as it opens. Assistant Director Skinner appears and ushers them into the office with an expression of warning and annoyance masked upon his face. Mulder and Scully enter the tense office, crossing methodically over to a table occupied by several men. They try to maintain even, expressionless faces as they separate to seat themselves in the remaining chairs*.

Scully: Sir, gentleman, (voice quivers slightly) I'm sorry for our prolonged absence. Please excuse our transgression. I assure you that it won't happen again (she apologizes to A.D. Kersh and the group of men as she glances around the room at them and then at Mulder where her stare lingers momentarily as she lowers herself into a chair next to Skinner).

Kersh: Agent Scully, the length of your jaunt to search for Agent Mulder had lead us to believe that you had decided to disregard the importance of this council. Therefore, we have decided that due to the inability of you and your partner to appear on time together for this vital meeting--which has now ceased its discussion, that as a consequence you and Agent Mulder take a leave of absence for a week to realize the seriousness of punctuality (he sneers authoritatively as his eyes burn condescendingly into Scully's).

Scully realizing that sympathy is scare among the men before her and that understanding is utterly impossible, lowers her eyes to the table and bites her lip in order to force back a wave of nausea that has accompanied her sudden anger and resentment.

Mulder: (Jolts enraged from his chair knocking it to floor with a loud crash; everyone jumps in surprise and turns toward him) Sir! You have unjustly assumed the situation! You have no business releasing Agent Scully on the account that I was the one that arrived late! She was here. You know she was here, hell you're the one that fucking sent her to look for me!

Kersh and Skinner: Agent Mulder!

Kersh: (Stands up) Agent Mulder, restrain yourself immediately or your punishment will be increased.

Mulder: My punishment! Punishment for what crime?! The rashness of your decision is based on ignorance. You haven't even offered us a chance to explain ourselves goddammit!

Kersh: Your personal rashness is leading you deeper and deeper into a peril, Agent Mulder. I suggest for your own benefit you walk out that door and return here in a week with a clearer vision of your actions and their consequences. Agent Scully's release is for not returning in due time. Your partnership involves communication to each other and to me. It seems-- Mulder: (stares indignantly at Kersh) A.D. Kersh, is hypocrisy a major priority of our "*just"* system of government?! Or is it just a personal favorite of yours?

Scully: (Snapping out of idleness due to her contemplation of her sentence, she rises to her feet with shared indignation as well as fear for her partner's job) Mulder! Stop now! Let's go!

Scully quickly pushes back her chair and walks toward Mulder motioning for his arm and the direction of the door. Mulder glares at Kersh, his jaw clenching, his fists tight at his sides. He apprehends then moves toward Scully as she leads them toward the door. They move tensely out of the room and into the lobby area of the individual office. Mulder begins laughing abruptly and absurdly.

Scully: Mulder, have you gone over the edge?! You're stark raving mad! C'mon before they decide to throw a white coat on you again (she pulls him out of the office into the incandescent hallway toward the elevator).

Mulder: They didn't take our guns or our badges, Scully (chuckles roughly). They must be getting out of practice, but somehow that seems impossible. What is this the second? -- the third time we've been dismissed in the past few years? They're fucking with us again, Scully.

Scully: (Ducking into the elevator and away from the stares of the other FBI agents, she pulls Mulder in) Calm down, Mulder. Just settle down. You're overworking yourself.

The elevator door closes. They are alone in the elevator. Scully pushes the button for the basement floor. Mulder lets out an exasperated sigh as he slumps against the elevator's left corner wall.

Mulder: Tell me, Scully, are we two very unlucky people stuck in a dimension aimed to destroy us. Or are we two very confused people stuck in an alternate universe full of ironies that appear differently to only us...or is it just me?

The elevator reaches the basement floor, signals its arrival, then opens its doors. Mulder and Scully exit it in silence. She waits to respond until they have reached the "privacy" of their office. Mulder routinely pulls out his keys in a weary motion, lifts them to the door and unlocks it. They enter, crossing to their respective work areas. Mulder tosses the keys onto his desk and sits sullenly in his chair. Scully crosses over to him, stands before him momentarily then lowers herself to a crouch, reaching for his hand.

Scully: Mulder, the world has become a mystery to me...more than it ever has. Somehow though, you're the one thing that makes sense to me. You're a man on a mission. A rebel with a cause. And worst of all, a threat to the largest establishment of lies ever created. you are the "Chosen One," Mulder. From what or whom, that I don't know, but of all the people I have encountered you are the most zealous. And for that you have been targeted, it's a fault you've unconsciously developed, yet it is a strength that guides you. You have shown me so much. Not only of the world...but of myself. For that, you have become all I have to will for. You say my honesty is part of your strength, *you are* my strength (she casts her eyes to his). Mulder, in all honesty, I don't really give a damn anymore about protocol, I guess I've lost my faith in its abilities. I'm sick of the games, we both our. We've played by their rules...to an extent anyway, but now it's time to turn the tables. And this time failure is an option that only they will have to face.

Mulder: (Leaning down to her level, clasping both of his hands over hers) Scully, you're not only a miracle, you're an angel. Of all the paradoxes and ironies in this damn world...you're the one I'm thankful for (his somberness from moments ago fade into a smile). Scully, my dear, you and I have an establishment to conquer (rises to his feet with renewed ambition and strength. With her hands still in his, she does the same).

Scully: (Echoing his ambitious tone) Yes, I do believe you are correct, Agent Mulder. It's time for you and me to hold the winning hand...all the stacked cards will be displayed and concealment of them will be made impossible.

Mulder: Scully, you make the best metaphors. The power in your words is turning me on (beams erotically).... Like they say, "The pen is mightier than the sword." Yet, that probably isn't the way we'll win this battle, Scully.

Scully: Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. You know what else they say, Mulder? (He nods unknowingly.) They say, "Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire." Mulder: They're right. Damn, I hate generalizations. So, where to start? Any suggestions, Scully?

They release their grasp from one another as he moves to get her chair and moves it next to his desk. He motions for her to sit and she does so. He walks around to his chair and does the same.

Scully: (Looks down at her hands in her lap and fumbles with the hem of her blazer) Well, Mulder, I'd say we've got another unexplained pregnancy on our hands.

Mulder: (Jerks his head up instantly remembering her confession) Oh, Scully. Oh, Scully (he repeats with a sympathetic tone). Do you have any idea?...(his eyes soften to accommodate his rising empathy). Any recollection of anything...anything at all that seemed...seemed-- Scully: (Continues to stare downward) Anything strange? Or paranormal? Actually, yes. I-I...uhhh, have a faint recollection. It's so hard to explain, Mulder. It's more of a feeling. A while ago--I'm unable to recall how long ago, I had a vision, yet it seemed more of a waking dream-- I don't know, I...I can't distinguish exactly what it was. I was walking through a large mass of white fog or clouds. I felt out of place yet strangely placid. Then I think there was a glint of light among the clouds...it seemed as if birds--doves fluttered, but I didn't see it, I only heard a rustle and then a breeze. I had a strange feeling they were doves, I don't know why, it was more of a sensational idea that overcame me. Now, it seems as if it's only a symbolic memory. I still haven't been able to figure out the meaning or anything else for that matter. How did I possibly become impregnated in the first place?! (Looks up pained, yet feigns a smile) In all of my humility, Mulder, (forces a small grunt of a chuckle) I checked my frying pans.

Mulder: (Reaches for her hand again, flashing a quick, wary smile) Scully, what I've been attempting to tell you might offer an explanation, or a piece of one anyway...(lowers his eyes, stares at the gold cross around her neck). About two years ago, when you discovered your daughter (holding back her name as if not to pain Scully's ears with the sound of her shortly beloved daughter's forename), I went to the convalescent home in which her surrogate mother lived. There, among other things, I found viles containing live human embryos. Several were indicated as yours by a label. I took three of them, but on the way out Kresge cut me off, put his gun to my head and took the viles from me. Then Dr. Calderon appeared, as he assailed on Kresge, I managed to get one of the viles and got my ass out of there. Ever since I've had the vile...I kept it safe, but I didn't know what to do.... Scully, you've been through so much...I-I didn't want -- oh hell Scully, I damn stupid. You have every right to scorn me. I had no right to keep that from you (sags his shoulders and drops his head in deep remorse for his past actions, he appears to wilt).

Scully: (Breaking her intent silence as she sits mildly incredulous of her partner's confession) Mulder, you're used to taking the burdens of others and lifting them to your own shoulders (rises from her chair, moves toward Mulder, extending her arms around his hunched body, she cradles him). I understand. All that you've been through, has made you into your own scapegoat. Please, Mulder, don't feel that you have to go through anything alone or that you have to protect me from the truth. We do that together, right? We have for so long.

As they had earlier, Mulder and Scully embrace each other in an entwine that can withstand time, pressing it to the outer limits of acknowledgment and worry. They sit together, reconciling silently all the misfortunes and trespasses they have placed upon one another in their history together.

Mulder: (Raising his chin from the crown of her head, speaks with a hoarse tone) So, it's possible there's a fairly plausible explanation to your pregnancy. Most likely pernicious, but not extraterrestrial-oriented or monster-oriented. I dread, to think what you were subjected to this time. (Anger rises in his voice) Scully, when I get a hold of the bastards that touched you--even set an eye on you, every fucking one of them involved--I'll pass a vengeance on them even the devil can't condone.

Scully: Mulder, for your sake, I can't allow you to do that. I know our justice system is anything but just, yet having you behind bars for the rest of our lives would still mean they win. I won't make an ultimatum to my death, but until I do, I won't rest until I know in my heart that you've met true happiness and despite what you say, Mulder...I'll know.

Mulder: Scully, you as well as the other women in your family are so down to earth and caring, I'll never know how any of you ever got stuck in the same boat as me....Melissa once told me that no matter what I did, no matter how long I carried out my search for the people that placed destruction on you, it would never bring you back. She then reassured me that everyone involved had an equal horror coming their way. Scully, I'm one of those people. Even if I inadvertently did it, it still doesn't excuse the action. My redemption is long past gone. On the other hand though, Scully, if there is a God in Heaven, He must not think of me as a lost cause after all. You've been my savior since the day I met you. My salvation is tangible, if nothing else.

Scully: (Blushes a smile) Yeah, I've saved your ass a couple of times, but it doesn't make me a saint. Mulder, back to planning our scheme. So, when shall we regain our renegade status?

Mulder: (His eyes dart suddenly around, remembering where they are) Shit! Scully, how about them Knicks?! (He frantically motions to the smoke detectors and air vents.)

Scully: (Understanding his sudden awareness) Just great, Mulder, just great. You know what? I'm suddenly feeling the overpowering desire for fresh air. Since now we have a week to waste time, how about a walk?

Mulder: Anything you want, my little partner in crime, anything you want (he reiterates for truthful emphasis as he checks his watch). How about I treat you to a nice lunch downtown?

Scully: (Pushes herself to her feet, then moves toward her table, turning her back to Mulder.) You've been getting away with a lot of monickers and hypocorisms today, Mulder. I should come up with a couple for you. And yes, lunch would be great. I could probably eat enough chicken salad croissants to feed a small French nation.

Mulder puts on his coat that he had cast aside earlier. He then fumbles around for his keys on his disheveled desk. He finds them and plunges them in to his pocket as he throws a couple of files into his briefcase and closes it. Scully drapes her coat over her arm as she collects her purse and her briefcase. Together they move out of their office like schoolkids on their way out to recess. Mulder, pulls out his keys again, locks the door, then turns to leave, following Scully out of their haven of isolation.

Mulder: So, enough croissants to feed a small French nation, huh? I guess that means no more bee pollen yogurt for you Dr. Scully.

Scully: Hey, at least I don't discard sunflower shells left and right like a damn squirrel high off acorns. Besides, poopyhead, adjusting to accommodate junior and myself isn't going to be easy.

They have reached the elevator. Scully pushes the button for the ground level floor. Then turns toward her partner with a glance of silent retort.

Mulder: Poopyhead? (Laughs) I remember that one, Mrs. Petrie.

The elevator dings and the doors open. They advance inside to meet a few fellow agents. The air of gossip lingers in the air as the agents already occupying the elevator become suspiciously quiet. Scully reaches past one of them to push the button for ground level. Everyone stands in unnerving silence until the elevator reopens to the ground floor. Mulder and Scully shift out into the lobby, passing polite, quaint smiles at the other agents. They head toward the employee parking lot.

Mulder: Isn't it great to be so popular around here? (Sarcasm edges into his voice) You can just feel the recognition and love in the air. Almost like springtime, Scully.

Scully: Yeah, almost (tosses him a slight grimace). So, what did you have in mind as far as lunch goes?

Mulder: Chez Artiste? Is that okay?

Scully: A dinner theater in the middle of the day? Okay, sure. It's on you anyway. Glad to see you don't have an interest in casual cuisine today.

Mulder: We're all about changes today, Scully. I might even order myself a nice rack of lamb and the finest Chianti they offer. Just for the hell of it.

They have now reached the employee parking lot. They part to go toward the directions of their cars.

Scully: Are, you sure they're open this early in the day, Mulder? (Turns back to address him from a distance as she searches for her keys as she nears her car.)

Mulder: No, but we'll find out when we get there, won't we? You said French. Why not suck up the rest of this weeks salary on a decent meal? Hell, the spiders in my apartment have more food in their webs than I've got in my damn refrigerator and cupboards combine. Unless of course, you'd rather opt for Chinese takeout...we can do that too.

Scully: Forty-two's the number, Mulder. I'll be there (unlocks her door and opens it). You order it, and I'll pick it up on my way over. I have to run some errands first. The usual's fine for me (shouts back as she lowers herself into the car).

Mulder: Alright, Scully. Be there in no less than an hour or I'll probably end up huntin' for bug treats or gnawing on a limb (he warns with a toothy grin as he unlocks his own car and opens the door).

They both shut their doors simultaneously. Scully starts her car, backs up, then swings her car toward the exit hill. Mulder does the same and follows her out of the Bureau parking garage. They part in opposite directions at the first stop light.


March 4, 2000
1:26 p.m.
Alexandria, Virginia
2360 Hegal Place
Apartment #42

Scully knocks on Mulder's apartment door, shifting the warm, paper-bagged bundle to her left side as she slides the plastic grocery bag to hang around her wrist. She pulls the strap of her purse back over her shoulder. Mulder quickly opens the door and ushers Scully in, offering to take the heat-seeping bag from her arms. She gives it to him and begins to shrug out of her coat.

Scully: I hope to God that this child is normal. Already, I'm developing ridiculous cravings for disgusting combinations, I normally would retch at (holds out the plastic grocery bag containing a half gallon of triple chocolate fudge ice cream and a small jar of hot tamales).

Mulder: (Takes the bag from her and glances at its contents) Mmmm...looks like one hell of a sundae (grins sarcastically).

Scully: I stopped by the grocery store to purchase my fourth home pregnancy test and suddenly felt the desire for that lovely concoction (confesses in a casual tone as she sets her purse and her coat on the couch).

Mulder: Scully! Your fourth one!? When did you find out you were pregnant? Have you gone to any other doctors (asks with concern as his earlier shock begins to fade)?

Scully: (Sighs forlornly as she drops onto the couch) Yes, I went to a specialist. Mulder, at first, I thought I was letting my imagination get away with me...I still think I might be.... Yet, aside from the fact that I haven't menstruated in over a two and a half months--which I had chalked up to stress, I had an overwhelming instinct that it was life inside of me...not the rebirth of a destructive killer. I suspected it could have been a dormant side effect from my cancer or the treatment. Then I thought about Antarctica...my abductions--kidnappings...I still can't come to any definite memories. Two days ago I decided to schedule an appointment to see my gynecologist. Then after work I bought three pregnancy tests. Two tested positive, the other negative. I got into the office yesterday, had a routine exam, an ultrasound, and then some blood work. I tested it as well as my doctor. She verified the pregnancy. I found no traces of any narcotics, opiates, or intoxicants...nothing at all. Nor have I found trace evidence anywhere in my apartment, car, anywhere...I've checked everywhere and anywhere I could think of. What confounds me more than the actual medical proof showing it impossible for me to conceive a child, has been defied, is that somehow, without my knowledge or awareness, I was impregnated.

Mulder: Scully, you uhhh...haven't been...uhh have you-- Scully: No, my sex life has come comparatively close to that of a nun's, Mulder (lowers her head in embarrassed shame).

Mulder: Scully that's it! (Sets the bag on the coffee table.)

Scully: What?

Mulder: Maybe the millennium hype is true (he moves to her side with a solemn, sincere expression), and the Second Coming or Armageddon is upon us. Immaculate Conception...Scully, you could be the Second Mother of Christ! (Scully glares at him skeptically) I'm not mocking you...I'm serious.

Scully: Immaculate Conception! Mulder, no. No, that's insane (shakes her head in disbelief)! No. Even for all the possibilities, that seems by far the most bizarre. Mulder, Mary was a virgin! I'm a thirty-six year old woman of the Twenty-first Century, we can think better of that. Do you honestly think that I would be chosen to carry the Son of God?! Mulder! It's inconceivable--uhh (grunts in disgust at her own accidental pun). Above all else, not only have I been skeptical of the existence of God, I've drifted away from the church as well. Of all people, especially Catholics...I'd be at the bottom of that list, Mulder.

Mulder: (Reaches his hand out to her chest where her gold cross lies delicately along her collarbone, he takes it in his fingers, tracing it lightly) You're my one in five-billion and if that doesn't qualify as astronomical or ethereal, then I don't believe anything does. Scully, you're my savior, why couldn't that make you eligible to possibly be the world's bearer of a Savior? I know I don't always place my faith in the idea of God, but in all that we've seen, Scully, we know there are things bigger and more complex than science can explain...I've--we have been trying to prove it. Who am I to say that it's not possible.

Scully looks away from his soft gaze as she moves to the edge of the couch, reaching for the paper bag. She pulls the cartons of food out, placing them side by side on the coffee table. She bites her lower lip gently as she stares off toward the window*.

Scully: I don't know what's what anymore...maybe you're right. Maybe for some obscure reason God chose me to have His Son. Or maybe I've become a freak of nature! Better yet, God and secret conspirators have ulterior motives for giving me a child. Or maybe I imagining all of this. Or...or--(she has worked herself up to temporary insanity and has now risen off of the couch, flailing her arms about emphatically).

Mulder: (Rises, stretching his arms toward her as he steps in her direction; pulls her into his arms) Stop! Scully, stop. (She shudders and heaves a sharp, gasping sob as he encircles her.) Now, you're working *yourself* up (rubs her back and shoulders as he presses her close to his chest).

Mulder rocks back and forth, releasing low, lulling hushes, appeasing Scully's ragged, convulsing sobs of rage and disconcertion. He moves her back to the couch, drops down, pulls her into his lap and continues to soothe her as if she were suddenly a child. He plants light kisses on her temples and the crown of her head, continuing to rock her. She nuzzles into his chest as she allows the repressed tears of sorrow and ire flow as they had earlier. Numerous minutes elapse as they sit in their unique silence. Scully gradually calms down and is entranced by Mulder's fatherly, consoling lullaby.

Scully: (Lifts her tearstained cheek from its resting place on Mulder's chest, revealing a large, sodden circle on his white dress shirt, she traces it with her fingers as she releases a weak sigh) Oh God, Mulder, your shirt. I feel a slight emotion, then my body and hormones suddenly turn it into a rampage of tears. If this keeps happening I'm going to loose my mind faster than I had anticipated.

Mulder: You're letting it all out, Scully. That's good. You could cry me into a river and the only thing I'd care about would be that you stay above the water. If it'd help you could turn some of those pent-up aggressions into some nice left and right hooks at me (smiles sensuously at the memory of a very aggressive Scully in a very sexy dress).

Scully: (Gives a small chortle as she raises her forefinger to trace the skin revealed above his partially unbuttoned collar) I know you'd let me use you as a punching bag, but Mulder, you're not my scapegoat...and you shouldn't be your own either. Thank you for always being here for me. (Gazes deeply into his hazel orbs) I don't think I'll ever be able to fully express how much you mean to me or how much I love you. I just hope this helps...(she whispers softly as she shifts her body upward as she continues to sit in his lap, closes in on his lips with her own).

Scully takes his lips into her own, tasting them as she flicks her tongue across their surface, urging between them. He moans in pure pleasure and exultation as he wraps one arm around her waist, bringing the other to the nape of her neck. They intertwine with one another's lips, bodies, and souls in an equally passionate battle of affection, love, lust, and harmony.

Mulder: (Breathes a sigh of exhaustion and longing as he releases her neck, pulling his lips away from hers) Mmm...Scully. I want that child to be our child inside of you. If only it could be.... (His lips part in a sudden smile of assertion.)

Mulder moves gently out from under her body, lifting his right forefinger to signal her to wait. She shifts to a sitting position with her feet back on the floor, her curiosity rising. He moves in the direction of his bedroom. Scully reaches for the now tepid food as she searches for plastic silverware in the bag. Mulder returns to her side with his arm cocked behind his back, watching her carefully as she sits staring at him in wonderment as she absently removes the plastic wrap from the plasticware. He sits down angled next to her on the edge of the couch. Decides against it, then moves his left knee to the floor, propping himself on his right leg, reaching for her left hand. He reveals a small black velveteen box, openly displaying a small gold band with a solitaire, calibre-cut diamond and the epigraph MY Truth and Love Forever encircling the inner band.

Scully: (Blushes in astonishment and stares with incredulous eyes) Mulder?!...

Mulder: Scully--Dana Katherine Scully, I've loved you for so long...and I will love you *forever*. I want to be with you for eternity.... Will you marry me, Dana?

Scully's heart flutters in response to her partner's avowal. She remains mesmerized by his eyes as they transform from the normal hazel into a light shade of green, casting out with them the unspoken words of his soul. He removes the ring from the tiny box, cradles her left hand in his as he slips the ring delicately onto her ring finger with his right hand.

Scully: I wouldn't have it any other way. I long for eternity with you, Mulder. We complete each other...you make me stronger.

They interlock their fingers as Scully pulls Mulder back up to her level. They embrace once again as they share a kiss of true passion and love.


Here is where I shall end my story. In light of the where I have left the loose ends dangling...I invite anyone and everyone to invent their own ending...or continuation to my story--under one circumstance: You Must Send it to me. It's possible I'll write a sequel. Otherwise, as I should hope it to end anyway, I would have Fox Mulder and Dana Scully live the fairytale life of the Twenty-first Century. They marry and become even more inseparable. Truth is revealed to them in time and indeed, together they conquer the opposition that has so long stood in the way of their happiness and salvation. Time heals the wounds of the past and the truth. They continue to work together at the FBI, yet devote all of their off time to their daughter, Melissa Emily Mulder. Mulder and Scully no longer drive hundreds and thousands of miles through neighborhoods, cities, and towns passing people raising families, buying homes, and playing with their kids and dogs...no, now they live in an Arcadian residential area of Washington D.C., along with their daughter, Pomeranian puppy, and their so-to-be born son. Together they continue to endure the hardships of a "normal" life, working each day to put all the pieces back together.

The End

Followed by: Absolute Eternity (not in script format)


-----Mulder: The truth will save you, Scully. The truth will save both of us. -Momento Mori ----------Mulder: How would this happen?

Scully: Birds and the bees and the monkey babies, Mulder.

Mulder: Birds do it, bees do it, even educated MDs do it. All five women shared the same Obgyn didn't they?

Scully: Well, yeah. He's the only one in town. -Small Potatoes ----------Mulder: Well, just find yourself a man with a sppotless genetic makeup and a really high tolerance for being second-guessed and start pumping out the little uber-Scullies.

Scully: What about your family?

Mulder: Well, aside from the need for corrective lenses and the tendency to be abducted by extraterrestrials involved in an international governmental conspiracy, the Mulder family passes genetic muster. ---Scully: Now, we all have a natural instinct to propagate.

Mulder: (Eyeing Scully) Do we? --- Mulder: Scully, I never saw you as a mother before... -Home ----------

Read More Like This Write One Like This
Pregnant Scully list It's Another Boy Challenge

Return to The Nursery Files home