Title: Father and Son
Author: Sara H
Rating: R (language and sexual situations
Category: X-file, Romance
Spoilers: Requiem
Classification- MSR, The Return of Mulder, Krycek/Other

Summary: Mulder and Scully are trying to create a life together as well as continuing their own X-Files shortly after the birth of their child...


The woman leaned her back against the dirt wall, trying not to imagine what was crawling around in the darkness behind her. She had been in here for an hour, and she knew she should head back the way she had come. Her doctorate teacher was going to be angry with her for attempting this on her own, but she was the only one small enough to get in and open up the tunnel. She swept back her shoulder length brown hair with her hand, and her face crumpled with confusion at what she saw. She had been digging secretly in here for a few hours each night without too much light and too much luck. She estimated she had dug at least twenty feet with much care, but this was the first time she hadn't seen endless dirt in front of her. In fact, she saw absolutely nothing. She reached her hand out into the darkness, but felt no wall. The emptiness was more than she could have hoped for.

Excited, she reached at her side, fumbling for the flashlight. She watched as the light spread feet in front of her that descended into a room that was larger than any other she had seen. "Oh my God," she spoke, as she slipped herself out backwards from the tunnel, holding on to the edge as she dropped below. She knew she was out of her league here, and prayed that the bottom wasn't miles beneath her. She knew that if her crumpled body was found here, she could botch the integrity of the whole archaeological dig.

Her feet touched the ground easily and she sighed with relief. Around her, a monstrous room opened up. The walls were covered with hieroglyphics. The people pictured were large and monstrous with alien eyes. She couldn't believe what she was seeing. This looked like ancient proof that beings like aliens had existed. There were also humans pictured. The humans were enslaved to the alien creatures, but the strange part was that the people were not Egyptian at all.

These individuals were anyone that could be seen walking down the street. The clothes and faces were modern, and they all bowed to the aliens. Amazed and yet still wary, she stayed close to the wall from which she came. She could feel the stealthy fingers of fear and awareness begin to waken her senses. She felt hot all over, and weakness took over her limbs. She put her back against the wall, and she began to let herself slide down the coolness behind her. Nausea began to overcome the pain within her head. She looked at some of the writing and the hieroglyphics seemed to change, and she realized that she was looking at writing that she had only seen in the American southwest.

The words seemed to make a change within her. Her light began to dwindle, and she cursed loudly. Hitting her flashlight with her hand, she got no response. Suddenly, she was covered in darkness, and that was when she heard the sound of someone coming through the tunnel. Suddenly her strength came flooding back when the blind- ness set in. Her hands struggled to help her find her way in the darkness, but she did not know where she could run. Oh God, she was trapped. She could feel the large and stringy cobwebs as they reached out to catch her face and skin. Her throat choked back a cry.

That was when she felt him grab her, hand over her mouth. She could feel his strong body pulling her next to him, and the smell of expensive cologne mixed with sweat clogged her nostrils. She became a trapped animal, kicking, biting, and suddenly as if by some instinct, she used her flashlight in an upward movement against his jaw. He fell backwards into the tunnel. She shoved past him and headed toward the entrance, illuminated from the rising sun. She pulled herself up and began to crawl up the tunnel as fast as she could. She crawled, struggling to reach the entrance. The twenty feet suddenly felt like a mile. She could hear him behind her. Then she felt the tug on her shoe. He was pulling her down toward him.

Suddenly she was underneath his large body and the strength of it pinned her beneath him. She could see his face. She gasped as they recognized each other. It was a meeting of old lovers. He almost let her go. She was the daughter of a powerful man, a woman that he had loved in the past, but he was here for a reason. She knew that he had been there when her father had died, and she knew why he was here.

Feeling him close, and knowing what he could do, she began to tremble. She tried not to scream. His hand turned her over, and he placed the barrel of the gun against the back of her head. He shook his head. God, she was beautiful. Something in him felt pity and sorrow, but he was here for a job.

The gun went off, and he shoved her body down the tunnel. It caught halfway down, like a rag doll, and he could see her face illuminated by the sun. The face that was blown away from the bullet, skeleton and skin smiled at him. He felt nauseated. Crawling out from the hole, he saw the morning archeologists gathering in the breakfast tent. He crawled behind the pyramid. His dark face covered with sudden determination. He took a drink from the bottled water, and realized he was covered in blood. Shaking his head, he would have to come back to finish the job. That room could never be uncovered.


I lay in the midst of sleep and awareness. I could feel his hand whispering against my face and neck as I slept, quiet luxuries of love. My dreams were disturbing, flashes of people struggling in small spaces, lust undefined and then the darkness of death and pain. My tears started to fall gently in my sleep, and I felt him bend down and kiss my forehead. Somehow I had always known he was there, around me, within me. My protector and friend, he was my partner in love and life.

"Wake up sleepyhead. You have to help me pick out the color for the nursery's walls. Are you sure you want to paint the room this shade of yellow," Mulder said. His feet up on the coffee table, and his hand held up a card with a rather dark shade of yellow on it. I reoriented myself to life, the continuous pattern that remains unshakable.

"I know, too dark, but it goes with the nursery set." I fumbled to show him the picture of the furniture I had ordered, after picking up and cradling our small infant in my arms

"I can't believe you didn't do this before he was born," Mulder mumbled. "Now I get to help in decorating. Have you seen my apartment? Your mother could do this much better than I could."

"That's true. I know, but I feel like since this is our house, we should do this together."

"Okay," Mulder said, standing up. He walked behind me and put his hand on my shoulder and bent down to kiss my soft neck. "But do we have to have separate bedrooms."

"As long as you insist on keeping those porno videos here," I said, laughing, knowing that there was deeper feelings causing our separation.

I groaned and walked to the desk. Sitting down in the chair, I turned on the computer. Sleepless nights and the moodiness were getting to me. Especially the fact that the past two months had turned my life upside down. Mulder had returned to me, but not as I had expected. He was dead and alive, but through the help of others, his soul was restored to me. My baby son, William had been born. Our son had been born, and with Mulder having been through hell, he felt changed for the better. He was ready to be a father to our son, wanting what he needed, a family. We had moved in with each other, but I wasn't sure if I was ready to play husband and wife. I loved him, that much I was sure of, but we had never been intimate before his disappearance. Now, I needed time to accept this new part of my life, and there was the fact that any intimacy was prohibited at this time. I was just too tired, and my body still ached from the labor I had endured.

Mulder sat back on the couch, looking at the paint on the cards. He frowned. God, he had missed me, wanted to be near me, and to hold me. He told me how much he had missed the smell of my hair, and my skin. When he held me, I could hear him breathing me in, the beauty of life. I had been so changed by his disappearance, by his child, and he knew and accepted this, but I think it was hard on him, trying to put the new Scully with the old. He tried to accept us both.

I looked at the screen on the computer; there was a flash saying that we had mail. "Are you going to work this week?" I asked, knowing he had taken time off to get back physically what he had lost.

"Why?" he asked, looking up from his frustration of paint cards.

"Skinner has e-mailed you, and it looks important."

"The paler yellow, this is the color we'll use." He remarked, uninterested in my comment.

"Ok, but what about this e-mail," I said suddenly annoyed.

He smirked. His usual goofy grin caused me to smile softly, purposely trying to be difficult as usual.

"I'll look at it later, let's paint the room."

When we got back from the paint store, I got started as he sat at the computer, no longer able to ignore Skinner's mail. As the evening settled, I wondered what had kept him there for so long. Coming out, I stopped to grab us both a beer, and sat on the couch. It was the couch from his apartment. I guess we both had too many good memories to throw the old thing out.

"It's important," he said softly.

"Okay, so you have to go."

"I don't want to leave you here alone."

"My mom can stay with me during the day, and Skinner checks up on me all the time. Godfathers are awfully protective, and now, we have Doggett and Reyes close by also."

"I know, but we've only been together two weeks and..."

I stood up and walked behind him, noticing that there was nothing on the computer screen for me to see. "I can't go..."

I touched his hand and enclosed it in mine, leaning down I felt his love encircle me. Suddenly, my eyes were wet with tears. My feelings were so deep and true, enveloping us within them. He touched my face, and he pulled me to him for a soft kiss.

"But you have to go."

He nodded and stood up.

"My flight leaves in half an hour."

"Then you better get going."

"I'll never forget you looking like this, all distraught, in a tiny white tank top and plaid pajama bottoms," he said while grinning.

"Shut up" I replied.

He got up and grabbed me in a tight hug, and it was my turn to smile. He got a bag from the closet and went to his room to pack it. I stood at the side of the crib, feeling pain, tears on the edge. I needed to hold my William. I heard him get his coat behind me.

"See you in a while," he said softly.

"How long?"

"A week or two."

"That's long."

"I know."

He blew me a kiss as he went out the door, and I carried my child into the bedroom and sat in the rocking chair. We settled to nursing, his small hands and face looking up at me in great expectations of what a mother brought. I felt alone. I had always been so strong, but somehow the vulnerability of the child in my arms made me softer. The fear of being changed was so real and yet so new.


It hasn't rained for a while in Washington D.C, as if the sun had a connection to the feelings I felt within, the happiness, and the brightness of life. I was finally feeling the connection to the world around me, through the gentle hands of the child I had brought into the world. Knowing that I was to return to work soon, I had mixed feelings. The last two weeks of my maternity leave had passed, and the time in which Mulder had been gone. I could be with Mulder on his worldwide trips to unleash the answers to all of our questions, but right now, I sat in the peace of the nursery and rocked. The walls were painted the pale yellow, and the furniture was settled in place.

The moments slowed and fate seemed close. I held my son's head against my chest and felt him sigh with sleep. I am mother. The phone rings in the silence, jarring our peace. The wind picks up outside, beginning to whistle through the crack open on the window, blowing the white eyelet curtains up in the wind.

It was my cell phone. I held it to my ear. Skinner tells me that they have found something in Africa, that Mulder felt I should see. The question I knew was to come. My answer was yes, and I asked Skinner to make sure that William was safe while we were gone. I needed to be near Mulder, but once again the torn self tried to choose between child and father. I looked around the apartment and realized that there was more to take with me. I smiled at William; he was beginning to smile at me. I think that was when I realized that it would all be better. I called my mother and she agreed to come and stay here with him. I laid him into the crib. Going to my bedroom, I passed Mulder's closed door. Opening it, I found the simplicity reassuring. The line we had drawn between our lives was thinning and molding into one. Mulder had asked me to bring something for him, smiling at his request. I didn't think of myself as comfortable enough to pack him some more underwear and socks. In the drawer, I saw the letter addressed to me. Smiling I sat on the bed and looked at its sealed message. I slipped it into my pocket and grabbed a bag from under the bed and packed it with his boxers and socks. Suddenly his smell filled my nostrils, causing me to feel the longing within. In my room, I pulled out my suits, and some of my desert khaki wear. After a shower, it was weird to pull on a light black suit with a blue shell shirt, and I realized that I was going back to work.

I reached into the pocket of my robe, and pulled out the letter that Mulder had given me. It read like a poem, intimate and close. His words on paper that spoke to me of how much he cared, what he needed and wanted from us. I knew it was time to break down the walls that stood between us.

My mother rang the doorbell, and I went to greet her with a hug that came from within. She was all tears. A grandmother that missed her daughter and her new grandson, I followed her and her suitcase straight into the nursery. She smiled at the room. It was beautiful, but it was the only project I had to work on in the past two weeks. She touched the baby's cheek and looked at me with intimate motherly love. She had always been there for me. She was my friend and my protector.

"Go on, get out of here," she said. "Leave me with my grandson. I'll put my things in your bedroom and get settled later. You have to go and see Mulder."

Once again, she understood more than she said and it showed in her soft smile. I left the apartment and headed to the taxi with a sudden understanding that I was surrounded by love.


The plane ride was silent with the absence of Mulder. The rain began to trickle against the plane window, skimming across it. I laid my head against the cool panel and thought about how far I had come and how far I had to go. Mulder waited for me as the plane set its wheels down. I could feel him. His eyes and their concern filled my mind. The rain stopped, creating a hazy mist in the noon sun. I reached for him with outstretched arms and laid my head against his chest, and we were silent in our tears. We took a rental car up to a hotel, as usual one that was economical, but this time we shared the same room. A silent understanding of where we stood in this confusing rush of new emotions and new places that life had given us. We were father and mother, but we were lovers. Lovers of the soul at the beginning, but soon we would become true lovers.

"I brought you here, because of something they found," he said softly, as I lay next to him. He held me. Our bodies are afraid of separating, and he didn't question my submission to him. I let him wrap himself all around me. I listened to the music of his voice, but suddenly I realized that I wasn't listening to anything but the rushing of blood inside of my mind, the sound of desire. A feeling that had filled me before, but now had a deeper cohesiveness of mind and soul.

"What?"

"Inside the Great Pyramids in Egypt they found a new tunnel. Inside of the tunnel was a great room located deep within. It appeared to have prophecies and stories written across all of the rooms in Navajo. Here in Egypt. I think some of the prophecies have to deal with us. I know you don't believe me, but I'll take you there tomorrow."

"I'm so tired. I never get to sleep anymore. Are you suggesting that we are here for some great purpose, that I don't even know if I have the strength to do?"

"It's my fault. I should be there to help you."

"Your work is your passion. I understood that from the beginning. I wanted this for myself, a child would be a way for me to complete my life."

"But now William is ours. He brings completion into both of our lives"

I nodded, looking at the wall in front of me, trying to tell myself to reach out further, but slumber was overwhelming. Deep within, I let myself give in. It was late the next day, when he woke me. His chest was bare, strong and soft. I felt weak with desire, but we had too much to do and no time for any escapes into our own world. We dressed in quiet understanding, and the car ride was filled with our usual banter of idle conversation. The laughter we had was contagious.

The dig site was mostly abandoned, due to rumors that Mulder had told me about the way people had been dying there. One girl's face had been blown off, and an Egyptian man was found in pieces all over the desert floor. He had come upon a hidden bomb.

I stood in the tombs, and wondered at the pyramid's connection to the stars. Mulder explained to me the connection between the Great Pyramids and Orion's Belt as we drove up to the dig site. He said that the tunnels were believed to be actual maps that pointed to a planet from which the alien's descended. He knew that I found all these theories unscientific, but I let him talk without arguing. In the months while he was gone, I had allowed myself to believe more than I had ever believed before. Placing myself within his ideas and concepts had given me the perceptive to understand that there always was more to any situation than what could be seen.

We had to crawl through the tunnel, the darkness all around us, but I felt safe. Down below, a great room was open before us. Archeologists and their assistants moved around uncovering the wall piece by piece and their faces were blank in diligent work. Mulder pointed out the clearest area. This new wall that had been uncovered, spoke of the aliens and their last colonization of earth. Its language interpreted by a Navajo Native American brought here by the government to relay the message that was carved into these walls.

I had stared at the detailed work, as its pictures spoke of the enslavement of humans, the construction of the most amazing buildings of the world, these unexplainable pyramids. Mulder and I had looked at that wall and seen our lives inscribed as prophecy. The wall suggests that a powerful Goddess, with hair the color of the sun, will give birth to a son, and she will not die. I am one that cannot die, or at least that is what I have been told. It begins to make sense.

Mulder looks at me with eyes clear, but I am too humble to admit any such an idea. I am only human, theoretically immortal. If I live forever it will only be to lose all that I hold dear to me. The wall speaks of the son as a savior for the people of the earth, born of an immortal woman and a man unable to be harmed by the alien sickness. I feel weak and touched the ground, holding the mysterious gray substance in my hands. Time slowed down, and once again fate was close to me.

"Why are we here?"

"An American Archeologist student was killed at the site in execution style, when she tried to open the site. She was the one that was shot in close range. Her father was a senator, and he had been murdered last year. Skinner and the FBI feel the murders were connected. She had also claimed to have been abducted. Her father was coming to believer her, when he died. They were both shot with the same gun," hesaid softly to me. "She was too close to the truth."

"This wall is about us, about our lives. I can see it all here. I feel ill, Mulder. I don't know if I am ready for this. I can't let you go again. I can't let our son go," I said, but thought to myself that I needed Mulder, without him my life closed around me. I had spent the past nine years, centering my life around our relationship, our love.

"But that is not for a while."

"I just got you back. God, why do we have to constantly fight against everything? Why isn't there ever a simple answer. I just want to go home and have a normal case, one of the X-Files."

"They took me off of the X-Files. Skinner allowed you to help me with this case, because of the senator's situation. I'm supposed to be profiling the quote "terrorist," not be reading the inscriptions on the wall."

"But that's not the way we ever work. We are going to get in a shitload of trouble if we report this the way we see it. When are we going to finish this up and go home? We don't have a clue who did this, and there is no proof, because as usual, all the proof is gone."

"There's the body of the two victims," Mulder said. "They are back in Washington."

I groaned. I had come all this way to go home and do autopsies.

"So what are you going to do Mulder?"

"Get myself in a 'shit load of trouble'" he quoted. "But you don't get to go home just yet. I need you to go somewhere else where some weird things have been going on. You need to go to Ireland, but I cannot go."

"Why?"

"Because the prophecy says that you will make a trip there in the first year of the new millennium, which technically is this year. You have to go without me. Plus, there have been some weird sightings there, and Dogget has those documented in one of his X-Files, but guess what, the X-Files are yours now, not mine."

"Screw the prophecy. Damn it. Are you trying to tell me that I have produced the savior of the world? And now I have to go to Ireland today without you, because of the New Year and some UFO's."

"This is the whole world were talking about."

He showed me the place where the prophecy talked about why I needed to go to Ireland. I was too tired, too weak to argue. Once again, I wondered if this was true, or if there was some sort of twist unspoken within the pictures on the wall. I knew that I was frustrated physically and mentally, there was so much pent up within me.

We headed back to the hotel and packed. I looked at his arms, his face, his back, and I knew what I wanted. I went behind him and wrapped my arms around him and he turned to meet me. Hunger filled us. Our lips entwined, arms grabbing at clothes, tossing them aside. Passion filling us. We lay on the floor in each other's arms, and the moment was gentle but fervent. Our bodies began to mold into one, softly and gently at first and then fervently. Built up frustrations from the years passed, and suddenly, I felt the connection between us, emotional and physical. We lay in each other's arms all night, talking and making love. The morning brought pouring rain, sloshing and filling the streets with mud. Rainy season was all Mulder said. He put my suitcase into the car. Mulder gave me the keys to the room, and I smiled at him softly. When I went to give the key to the man at the front office, Mulder pulled the car around. As he pulled out, a loud sound knocked me against the cabinet. The man began cussing in his foreign language. The whole area from where we had slept, where we had burned in lovemaking had been exploded all around us. Taking with it Mulder's suitcase, and all the pictures and all the proof we had. The smoke filled my lungs and I began to cough.

Mulder stood by his car, yelling obscenities back to the sky. I grabbed my purse and ran to his car. We drove off, leaving the man behind with his crippled hotel. Mulder was silent in his anger. When we got to the airport, he went to check in my luggage, and that was when I saw the ticket in my purse. Too late for a reaction, I realized he had ditched me again, fervent for me to go to Ireland alone. I couldn't find him in the crowd, and the lady at the information desk paged him with no result. I was worried, until a young man brought me a letter pointing at the exit sign and a crowd of people. Mulder had scratched me a note, saying that he had to go back to the site to gather more information before something happened there.

A classic Mulder ditch, but this time, after his abduction, it hurts more deeply. As if it cuts into a place of myself that needs to be reassured by his smile, his touch, and the feel of his warm skin. I sat in the seat of the airplane, alone, but knowing I had many at home that needed me. The baby has been a trial of error for both of us. A son, a new life, to represent the dawn of a new age. They are telling us that he is a savior for the New World, needing to be protected and separated from the bounty hunters and the alien force. He is our only salvation. The plane sets and I head to where the Pyramid wall spoke of, the place of destiny, in a Taxi. My cell phone rings, Mulder speaks but is broken up by a bad reception, telling me that the site was imploded and they cannot rescue the workers. All of the proof is gone. No one will know what we are, what I am.

But what am I? The taxi pulls down a country road; clouds are heavy above us. It stops on a hilltop in which down in the valley stone henge sits, waiting for me. As I stand here caught in the midst of a mythical Stone henge, I wonder if I am some virgin mother. A baby placed within without the intimacy of human warmth. A child born of a man that can withstand the virus of the alien life force, a child of a god.

I feel weaker because of my unexplained love for my baby's father. After his birth and his father's return completely to me, I became what I was not. An intimate lover to a New World wants to protect those that had ' brought me such joy. But I am the Mary, and I fear I will only watch them decay before me, as I live to be old and gray. There is question if I may be the only immortal one.

The stone henge is supposed to have been a power source for defeating the alien force, but only when immortal blood bleeds into the ground. I suppose mine. I don't know why Mulder had to go home. He never explains when he has a fervent belief in something, the belief in me. I suppose he is angry over the loss of our work in Egypt. I know who is behind it all. One who claims to be human, but works in a fervent state to stop human existence. I can see his dark, handsome face before me. He is so passionate for one so young, but as I look at what he has done to us, I see no reason for his actions. I wonder what lies in his desire to hurt us and to ruin our discovery of what really lies behind the mystery of the aliens. I told Mulder to meet me here when he is done at home, trying to follow a lead. I stand here in the shadows of the rainy atmosphere of Ireland, staring into the green grass. I miss my baby. My arms cry for him. Two months and he is a bringer of joy and happiness. He does not know what his role is on this Earth. Mulder is afraid he is going to have to take him away from me to a safer place, because of the possibility of him being the savior, the bringer of peace.

My thoughts are random. They have been as my world has been twisting from Mulder's disappearance, our kiss, my pregnancy, my labor, and my child's birth. Although my actions seem abrupt, possibly cold, it is because I can't face the coldness of reality. I don't know how long I will be able to hold Mulder, to make love to him. I don't know how long I can hold my baby. I see a figure on the hill, tall and handsome. It is my love come to me. I hold out my hand to see my mother following suit. My baby rolling around in her arms. Oh God, he had gone to bring me what I needed, family. I stood encircled by the Stone henge as it's magic protected me. Then I felt it and turned, but saw nothing but swirling darkness. The single cut of metal against my back. I yelled in the darkness to protect my child, protect my mother, and don't let Mulder die. Yet it was me that was bleeding on the ground, causing electricity in the sky. I awoke to realize that it was me that lay in a hospital bed, one of too many hospital beds I had seen in my life. Krycek had tried to stop me, or was he aware of the prophecy, and knew my destiny.

I could see my family around me.

"Oh thank God you are alive, but I knew you would be. You are everything the prophecy said you were. You shed your blood in the center, so that we may have a weapon," Mulder whispered cryptically in my ear, his breath warm against me. Was I alive or was I dead? Were we all dead? The whole mystical week seemed like a dream. My baby smiled at me, reaching for the comfort of mother's arms.

I grasped Mulder's body closer, so that I could smell the familiarity of baby and father. I felt my mother's hand on my own. I saw the wound above my heart, a deadly shot, but once again, I was alive. That realization spread over me slowly, and I felt guilt for my inability to believe. I hope God forgives me for my doubts, because I was in the midst of a mystery.


Krycek sat across from the person that had asked him to destroy the evidence of the pyramid prophecy. The man seemed strangely allusive at Krycek's obvious aversion. The bar was empty, except for a woman in the far back.

"You never said I had to kill someone I knew and loved."

"You made the choice to kill her," the man said, rubbing his gloved hands together. "Another martini?"

"Damn you, you Fucker. You deserve to go to hell for this."

The man laughed, "See you there. Check, please!"

Krycek grabbed the man by the collar, and familiar guards floated from the corners of the room. The bounty- hunters looked gravely at Krycek.

"Fuck you all," he said as he got up and shoved the man down.

Outside he flagged a cab, but not before the woman from the corner booth touched his elbow.

"You aren't one of them," he asked.

"One of what? An alien, no," she said.

"Then how did you know what they are?" he asked.

"You are more beautiful in person," she said, lifting her large, brown eyes up at him, studying his build, his face, her eyes eating every feature. "Let's say I know a lot more than most people. How about, you come with me on an airplane ride to someplace warm, and I'll explain how much I'm going to change your life."

"I'm done with rich woman that know too much for their own good."

"I don't think you are done with me. Let's say, I know we won't be done for a long time."

"What are you, some kind of psychic."

"Sure, if that's what you want to call me. But more like a young, rich psychic that wants to get in your pants."

Krycek smiled at that remark.

"You want to be a better man, stick with me." She opened the car door to the limo, as it pulled around, and also slipped her other slender pale hand into his pocket.

"I think you want to be with me," she said softly. "I can give you everything you want and desire."

He chuckled, as he pulled the small, blonde woman into his arms. They fervently grasped at each other's bodies, animals molding together in the dark night around them.

"God," he said. "This is way too tempting."

"No strings attached," she said.

He stepped into the car, and she turned toward the door of the bar. The bounty hunters all looked at her as she smiled at them.

"At least the strings aren't attached

yet, my succulent darling," she said. "You ass-holes haven't won him yet."

She gave the stoic aliens the finger, and proceeded to pounce onto Krycek the minute the door was closed.

The four alien bounty hunters looked at each other in strange complacency. They wondered if all the prophecies would come true, and if so, that damn woman needed to be killed.


Kersh sat at his desk and studied the folder in front of him. The faces of the two agents seemed tired and cold. Scully leaned forward and her face was fervent, angry. Mulder sat beside her, leaning back, apathetic in his appearance. Skinner paced back and forth in the background.

Doggett entered the office and looked at the two agents in front of him. They seemed to look at him and speak volumes without saying a single word. "I brought you here, because these two agents decided to go off on their own to investigate a case that is supposed to be carried on by the CIA, not by the FBI. Do any of you want to tell me how Mulder and Scully learned of this?"

"We read about it on the Internet," Mulder said sarcastically.

"Since Scully is your partner, Doggett, I wanted you to be aware of her dismissal from the X-Files, and our placing Agent Reyes in her place. From now on, I am going to be running the X-Files, while Skinner is suspended without pay. Mulder, you have constantly gone against me in every role I have put you in the FBI. The board and I are meeting next week to have a hearing about your dismissal from the FBI, and until then, you are not to have anything to do with the FBI. I want you out of this office, out of this building and I don't want to hear of you ever using your badge again." Kersh stated.

Skinner stormed out, slamming the door behind him. Kersh stood up and walked to the door, and opened it for the three agents. Scully stopped and waited for the other two to leave. She didn't know what was leading her in this direction.

"You Asshole! The X-Files and the FBI have been Mulder's life, but you are taking that away from him to save your own ass. I hope you find that in trusting whoever has given you your orders that you are putting your own life in danger," Scully said.

"Get out of my office. I am this close to firing you Scully." Kersh yelled and hit his fist against the wall.

Scully backed out as she saw the fury and fear pass through his eyes. Mulder grabbed her arm and turned her to face him.

"it's not worth it. I've been done with the FBI for a long time. Its time I figure out some things on my own," he said.

"On your own," she said.

"With you."

She just shook her head, understanding the unspoken. The FBI that Had brought them together might end up driving them apart.

Doggett and Skinner waited in the garage for them.

"What the fuck happened?" Doggett asked. "I gave Skinner the information, thinking that you wouldn't screw it up."

"Its hard to explain," Scully said. "We found the killer. We found the inscriptions, but its like nothing we have ever seen."

"I'm going to give you one more piece of information for you both to look into, but I'm putting my ass on the line for you. Although you both know it's not the first time, " Skinner said. "I got a phone call while you were gone, from a Miss Angela Starr. She asked for you Mulder."

"She's a friend of Agent Reyes," Scully said. "She has called us a few times on some of the cases we have all worked on. She is some sort of psychic, although the boys don't seem to believe her."

"She wanted you two to meet with her," Skinner explained. "She said she had some information that would explain the findings at the pyramids, but the call was cut off. I didn't get a phone number or any address."

"We don't know where she lives."

"Agent Reyes does," Doggett interrupted, and looked at Skinner expectantly.

"Ok, we are going to dinner tonight, and I'll ask her about it. I'll send the information through Frohike." Skinner said. "For some reason, I think those guys are the only ones that would be able to get through the surveillance that is watching us even now. My best advice is that we all lay low for a while."

Scully looked at Skinner and then at Mulder. He had been so quiet. She knew that he was processing all that had happened to them, changed their lives, their relationship. He didn't seem like the same person. He held her in some reverent awe that was almost like a religious fervor that she had never seen in him before. Mulder would never lie low for a while, because she knew that it wasn't part of the persistent need for him to find the truth.


Mulder laid his head against her shoulder as they lay together in their bed. His hand slowly strolled up to grasp her breast, still engorged. She laughed and turned toward him, but then saw the seriousness on his face. "We haven't talked about this," he said.

"I know. We just have never needed to explain things," she said. "It's always been unspoken between us."

"You know you are not a typical woman," he said.

"Well, you are a strange guy."

"We're family now. Its new for both of us, and I want you to know that I will not leave you. I saw your face today, when I said there were some things I needed to figure out. Those things don't mean that I won't come home to you at night," he said

She nodded and moved closer. Mulder frowned at her sarcastically. Who would have known that tight-laced Scully would have liked sex better than him? He groaned as she kissed his neck and his jaw.

"We never seem to kiss on the lips," he said.

She giggled, and softly caressed his lips with her own. The baby began to cry in the distance. She cursed under her breath, trying to keep with her new rule of not swearing in front of the baby.

"We never seem to have sex," she said.

"The beauty of parenthood, Dana," Mulder replied and grinned as her silk pajama self crawled out of bed into the nursery. Inside the shadowy room, she lifted her growing baby boy out of the crib. Outside, she saw movement under the streetlight. She moved to the window and then thought better of it. She was beginning to learn that windows meant that shooters could kill you easier. Instead, she sat back into the rocking chair and began to nurse. She heard the creeping of Mulder as he stole up behind her and looked down.

"Okay, I could say something vulgar right now, but I won't. This is too picture perfect," he said.

"You know, when your a stay-at-home dad, you'll have to do this too." Scully joked.

He groaned, "That wasn't in the Father 101 book. Who is that outside?"

"I don't know. I thought I'd give them a free show."

Instead of laughing, Mulder gave her an irritated look, secretly wondering when he would get his free show. He crept up to the window.

"That son of a bitch.."

"Honey," Scully reprimanded. "It's Krycek. Damn him. What does he want?"

"He won't hurt us."

"Why do you think that?"

"Because he has had every opportunity, and he hasn't yet. I just would like to know what he is doing," she said.

The doorbell jarred them. "Do we have to lock up the guns?"

"Just go answer the door."

Frohike stood outside, his head amplified by the peephole. He seemed even more shadowy outside under the porch light.

"Nice place. Hope I didn't come at a bad time. I can't stay. Seems as if we are being watched. Here is the phone number and the address, and Agent Reyes sends her love. Now there is a piece of work, all getting it on with the boss, kind of makes her sexy," Frohike said.

"Enough. I can't think of any other woman in that way. I'm a father now."

"Whatever, Mulder, see you later."

Mulder shut the door and waited to see Krycek light up another cigarette across the street.


Angela Starr lifted one ivory leg from underneath the water and then leaned farther down into the luxury of silken bubbles. The jets massaged her sore muscles, beginning to ache from two hours of kickboxing. She heard the bathroom door open, and she made sure that the top of her thigh was evident from the doorway. Krycek groaned, and she laughed the throaty laugh that he had come to want, to desire.

"Do you miss her?" she asked, standing up, allowing him to admire her supple figure as the water seemed to flow over every muscle, every curve.

"Who?" he asked.

"That double crossing bitch that's who." She bent over and picked up a towel from the floor. Krycek came up behind her and took hold of her shoulders.

"No. I only think of you." He kissed her shoulders and then her back.

She laughed. "You know I know."

He backed up. "What are you talking about?"

"I know where you've been, whom you have been talking to. You are trying to contact her. I told you I have ways of knowing things. You know what I am, if you tell anyone, they'll try to kill me. Of course, they won't succeed, but if they come after me, I'll kill you."

He backed up against the door, reaching for the handle. She grabbed hold of his throat and lifted him up by it. He thrashed about like a rag doll. She dropped him and walked out the door.

"Get out of my house," she said. "I tried to save you, but you can't be saved. Get the fuck out."

He stared at her, wondering at her beauty, her strength, and for the first time, he found something deep within moved. Damn it, they had been together for only a few weeks, and he was falling in love with her. He had never loved anyone before, just used them for the sex and power they could give him.

He looked into her eyes as he backed out of the house. She looked pitiful. He could see she was hurt, deep within, and it affected him.

"You will never change," she said and lowered her head. "I should just kill you now."

"I'm watching them, protecting them as you asked."

"But you can't leave you well being out of it. Always like Krycek to save your own ass."

"Damn you, bitch. I could have loved you."

"No, you already do, but I don't care. Get out of my house, or I'll make sure you leave." she started toward him. "But if you hurt them.."

Krycek turned and walked out slowly. She craved him as his backside moved away from her. Once he was gone, she let the inner pain out. She could see his every move. She could see everyone's moves. God, the images never left her. Sister and brother, one of three that had the alien DNA turned on within her, allowing her to be more human than any of the people she walked among in this world. She had to live with all of their pain.


Mulder, wearing a gray t-shirt and jeans, stood beside the family car that Scully had talked him into wearing. Scully came out the front door, trying to juggle a baby bag and the front door's keys.

"Don't you think you are a little overdressed today?" Mulder asked, looking at her suit and turtleneck.

"Old habits die hard," she said. "I don't know why she said we should bring the baby."

"She likes to read their futures," Mulder joked. "Come on, she sounded like a lonely woman."

They climbed into the front seats and looked at the already buckled In little William. He was always so happy, gurgling and smiling at them.

"He loves his mommy," Scully said.

"So do I," Mulder replied, and Scully gave him a beautiful smile.

The ride up to Virginia was long. The highway rolled by and they sat in common silence, other than the sound of the wheels as they hit the cement.

"We are being followed by two cars." Scully remarked as they pulled into the driveway of an older home with a neglected yard.

"Nice neighborhood. Guess the prophecy business isn't profitable," Mulder said.

As they pulled up, they saw a young woman dressed in warm, frumpy clothing, wearing large glasses and a stocking cap waiting on the front porch for them. Looking at her, they had images of Gibson Praise. They looked at each other in the same thought, as she smiled at them. Good, Angela thought, They've recognized me.

She watched the couple try and pull together their family life with their professional one. Out of the corner of her eye, she felt them being watched, and she knew by whom. She hoped her disguise was good enough, and she scanned the parked cars, but she couldn't see him. Damn, he was close.

"What a beautiful baby, definitely the leader I felt you two would have," she said and cooed at William. He just looked straight into her eyes as if caught within them.

They looked at her, not knowing what to think. She shook off the sudden feel of chills as they walked into the house. The baby, as if feeling her pain, began to cry softly.

"Oh time for a diaper change," Scully said. "How embarrassing."

"Oh its okay," Angela said.

She pulled Mulder into the living room and sat him down in the old couch. He studied her. "I asked you to come, because your child's life is in danger. I've asked someone to help you, to protect you, but there is definitely still more enemies than friends to keep your baby safe from harm. I want to ask you something that will change your lives forever, but will be in your best interest."

"What do you want?"

"I want you to give your baby to me. He will be the most safe in my care, and I want you to tell me where I can find my brother, so we can all be together. He's getting older, and he is going to need some help figuring out what he is able to do. Its more than he expects."

"Your Gibson Praise's sister. I could see the similarities, but you are evidently more, I mean...You want our child?" Mulder asked.

Scully just stood in the doorway and looked into the woman's eyes and began to back away toward the door. Angela closed her eyes and reached into the other woman's soul, calming her. Mulder just shook his head and leaned back.

"Okay, I see now that you truly love your child. I won't take him away from you. I know you will be good parents, and you can protect him, but you need to know that he'll be like us, Gibson and me," she said, watching Scully walk back in and sit down.

"What do you mean?" Scully said.

"Let me explain." Angela began.

The three of them sat together, she shared with them their role in The mysterious and unknown battle against the alien race. When they left, it was dark, and Angela looked at Scully in wonder. She had heard of the one that would have the inner weapon. She had heard of their child, but she did not know how well the puzzle pieces would fall together.

As she shut the front door, she could feel his presence. He was behind her, and she let him press her up against him, as he covered her mouth. The shadows hid them from the disappearing headlights.

"I should kill you. I know what you are," he said.

She knew he wanted her as much as she wanted him. She turned around.

"So what are you going to do about it?"

He ripped off her glasses and pressed her against the door. She wrapped her legs around him as he struggled to free her of the layers of clothing that hid her body within.

"Krycek, stop. This is wrong. You can't be with me," she said, lying, but hoping he wouldn't hear it in her voice.

"You know we are always supposed to be together," he said. "I asked Marita today and then I killed her."

He pulled away and looked at her face, bruised with his urgency. His heart caught. She was the picture of purity, of honesty, of all he was not, and God, she was so physically perfect, every muscle taut. Her breasts were exposed and her throat seemed to choke with the feelings within.

"You shouldn't have killed her."

"But she was trying to kill the infant and Scully. She was working with them all," Krycek explained.

"They know you are with me, and they will try to kill you."

"You know I don't care. I never have."

She nodded, suddenly realizing that as he began to make love to her less fervently, she knew for the first time he cared and he was scared by it. That made him a powerful ally.


Mulder and Scully sat on their porch with the baby intercom between them, looking at the stars. They seemed to blend together in simple streams of light.

"Can you believe that somewhere up there we have been investing our future?" Scully asked.

Mulder scooted over next to her and wrapped his arm around her.

"We've worked hard for that future."

"And its all in our hands..."

"Listen to you," Mulder said, poking her in the side, and then turned her head toward him.

"Can I kiss you?"

"I don't know, the baby might start crying."

He groaned and leaned forward and captured her lips softly.

"Ohh, no baby, let's go inside. I have plans for you," Scully said.

When they entered the front door, she tugged on his hand.

"Are you scared?" she asked.

"Not if you are with me," Mulder said, and then he took her hand firmly in his and led her down the hall to their bedroom. Within the nursery, Mathew looked at the ceiling and knew that he was safe within the comfort of family.

End

Read More Like This Write One Like This
Baby William
AU After Existence
Keeping William
Season Eight Missing Scenes Challenge Pack
William's Alternative Outcome Challenge
Season Nine Missing Scenes Challenge Pack


Return to The Nursery Files home