Title: Yesterday
Author: Starbuck_Jayne
Written: December 2000
Rating: G I think but I really don't know!
Spoilers: Requiem
Keywords: Post-Requiem, MSR
Disclaimer: These characters belong to the wonderfully talented Mr Carter and all at Fox and 1013.
Archive: Anywhere just please keep my name and e-mail attached, but please-no flames!

Summary: In the days before the birth of her child Scully has little to do except reflect upon the past.

Feedback: On my knees and begging for it. Starbuck_Jayne@mulderandscully.co.uk

Author's Notes: This is a VERY short story that was written in a complete burst so by the time I have posted it will be too late to do anything about it! Please read PLEASE respond! Dedicated to all my shippers especially Liz, Jill and Kelly cos they're the best and Pippa cos she got me hooked in the first place! PS. Some of the timing may be a bit wrong and I have no idea how to spell that Theresa person's name...sorry!


Scully realised that there must be moments at some point in everyone's lives when it seemed that something much more constructive was waiting to be done, and instead of getting on with the task in hand they chose, or were forced to, idle away the time instead.

Outside her window flakes of wet snow fell past on their way to the streets of Washington below, covering the city in a dirty grey slush that wasn't that uncommon at the end of winter, but it *was* closer to spring time now. The baby was due in a few days, rather than weeks, time and Skinner had refused to let Scully go into work, which is how she came to be lying on her sofa, wrapped in the afghan. She watched the flames of the fire that crackled in the grate, momentarily captivated by the way in which they danced around the hearth and licked at the chimney. Her book lay on the floor beside her, along with a pad of paper and a pen she had been using to write a letter to Mulder. Writing to him gave her strength, but to let him read them would make her feel weak, so she had thrown her work on the fire.

Frustrated by the fact that there was nothing she could do to help him in this state, she had simply prayed for his safe return instead. It would have been nice if he could have been there for the birth of their child but she knew that would be impossible. Even if her partner returned tomorrow she knew from the state in which Theresa Hoese had been found that he wouldn't be able to be there.

Before he had left for Oregon he had been to her apartment to say goodbye and drop off some paperwork. Her mother had always told her that when she was pregnant, even before any tests had been carried out, she had known she was going to have a baby. Dana had laughed, the doctor in her scorning the idea of women's intuition. Yet, when she returned from Bellefleur and was still having dizzy spells, she knew it had to be more than just the fact that she was a supposed alien abductee. She hadn't believed it of course, well, not really, but something inside her still told her she should tell Mulder all the same.

Just as he was leaving she had stopped him, placing a nervous hand on his shoulder which caused him to turn around and look directly at her.

"Mulder, I..."

"What is it, Scully?"

"I...oh, it's nothing, Mulder. I'll tell you when you get back." She smiled somewhat meekly and he laid a hand on her shoulder.

"You're sure you're alright? You will go and get checked over by a doctor, won't you?"

"I'm fine, Mulder," she said automatically, "you'd better be going-Skinner won't be pleased if he has to wait for much longer!"

Mulder grinned and kissed the top of her head.

"Take care...I'll see you soon."

His promise echoed in her memory and she drew the afghan tighter around herself. Her mom would be back soon with the shopping. Scully would be glad of the conversation-at least work had given her an excuse to keep busy and stop focussing on the past. She finally understood what Mulder must have gone through with Samantha, and remembered a time when she'd found him on her sofa late one night, seemingly so deep in thought that he appeared not to notice her at first.

He was exactly where she had expected to find him-watching some corny '70s horror movie and cracking sunflower seeds. She slid onto the sofa next to him, clutching a mug of tea of which she took a sip before beginning to speak.

"Y'ok, Mulder?" She watched as he lowered his gaze to hers and smiled softly as he placed his arm loosely about her shoulders.

"Just thinking," he said, giving her shoulders a gentle squeeze and kissing the top of her head.

"'Bout what?" she asked, not moving her head from its resting-place just below his shoulder.

"I love you, Scully. You know that don't you?"

Scully did not reply-instead she just smiled and gave his fingers a reassuring squeeze.

"And everything's going to be alright..." he told her.

Two months later...he was gone.

The End


Thanks for reading.

www.geocities.com/Starbuck_Jayne

 

Read More Like This Write One Like This
Pregnant Scully
Lamaze Class challenge
Return to The Nursery Files home