Title: Survivors
Author: Donna
Feedback - Please donnah@donnas-stories.com
URL - http://www.donnas-stories.com/
Rating: R
Category - MSR, angst, AU
Spoilers: Synchrony, Per Manum
Keywords: MSR, angst, AU, post-invasion
Disclaimer: Mulder, Scully, the Lone Gunmen and Skinner all belong to Chris, 10-13, and Fox - Bless them for it!! No infringement intended.
Archive: Anywhere, just let me know so I can visit

Summary: A possible future...


Mulder looked up as Scully entered the office. She didn't look up or meet his eyes. She just moved toward her computer and took a seat. His heart broke again at the sight of her. The sadness was pervasive. He felt a crushing sense of guilt for a moment. He couldn't give her the miracle she wanted, and it was his fault.

"Hey, Scully, you busy tonight? We could start off the weekend with a pizza and movie at my place."

"Thanks, but I think I'll just head home. I have a couple of articles I need to review."

"But do you want to read them? Come on, it's Friday I'll be charming; I'll even let you pick the movie." He sent her a cajoling grin.

"Mulder - "

"Great! I can pick up the food on the way."

She rolled her eyes, but before she could continue her argument, there was a knock on the open door. That caused them both to look up "Package for Agent Scully." The courier held up a padded envelope.

"Thank you," she said as he lay the package on her desk, then handed her the electronic pad to sign. Mulder was on his feet now and approached to see what had been delivered. They didn't speak until they were alone again.

"Where's it from?"

"MIT." She was still looking at the package.

"MIT? Who do you know there?"

"Nobody comes to mind." She pulled the strip to open the package.

He picked up the note that dropped out as she opened a case that looked as though it would hold a CD. The name made him pause. "Scully wait!"

He reached for her, but it seemed as though the air had gelled. Her eyes were wide as she reached for him in slow motion. Her mouth was open, but no sound emerged. He was cold, freezing. He could feel darkness closing in on him. Their fingers touched just as it all went black.


He woke slowly but didn't open his eyes. His first thought was that the motion was making him nauseous, so he kept his eyes closed. The swaying was rythmetic but unwelcome. He was cold, on one side of his body. His right side was covered with .... There was a lurch and he bit his lip, trying to keep his stomach down. The warmth on his right side moved and he caught a familiar scent. He relaxed slightly and opened his eyes. A mass of red tangles greeted him. Scully. Relief flooded his mind.

His next realization was that he was nude. She moved slightly and he knew she was too. She was lying face down on him, curled in on his right side. He swallowed and tried to look around without disturbing her.

They were lying in a canvas hammock of some kind. There was another hammock above them and it seemed to be occupied as well. They were on something like a train car it seemed, but the only light came from a naked bulb hanging from the ceiling in the aisle to his left. It swayed with the movement of the car.

The train lurched again and Scully grasped at him, as she snapped awake.

"It's okay, Scully." His arms tightened around her.

"M-Mulder? What - " She realized their state of undress then and tried to jerk away from him.

"Hold still, Scully. It's okay, just relax."

"Relax?" She lowered her voice "What the hell's going on?"

"I don't know," he whispered. "Scully, wherever we are, you know I'm not going to hurt you or take advantage I'm also depressingly sure you haven't taken advantage of me, so relax."

"Mulder, what's going on?" she hissed, embarrassed by his words.

He kept her pressed against him, using her for his modesty as well as protecting hers. He spotted what looked like blue uniforms on a hook at the end of their hammock. He nodded in that direction and she looked. "Do you want me to get them?"

"I, uh, okay." She rolled away from him, turning her back. He sat up and snagged the clothing. He yanked the larger pair of pants on and passed the smaller set to her.

"Thanks," she said in a low voice and he finally turned around. This was a familiar look on her; they were wearing what looked like surgical scrubs. He took the remaining tunic and slipped it over his head "Where are we?" she whispered, the fear still in her eyes.

He shook his head and turned to crawl out of the hammock. Her hand grasped his arm "No!"

He looked back, startled "We need to see what's going on."

After a moment she nodded and when he was on his feet, moved to follow him. That caused him to hesitate, but it was better to have her beside him. He lifted her down, then looked up and down the train car. No shoes were in evidence. There were four other couples, all in the upper hammocks. There were no windows. This was obviously a freight car that had been outfitted for passengers. There was a porta-john in one corner. He looked back at her, then opened the door. It was empty. "You first?"

She wouldn't meet his eyes, but stepped past him and entered the tiny cubicle.

He moved away, checking out the rest of the car. There was room for eight couples, why only five? No luggage or food was visible. He turned when he heard the door open. She looked around quickly and when she spotted him, visibly relaxed.

He approached her quickly "You okay?" he asked, his voice low in deference to the others still sleeping.

She took a shaky breath. "Yes, I'm fine."

He tried to control his expression at those words, then squeezed her shoulder and entered the cubicle himself.

She returned to their hammock. There was nothing in it. The clothing that had hung on the peg was the only thing besides them. She turned as the couple nearest the front of the car stirred.

She tensed and automatically reached for her gun. Of course there was nothing but her empty waistband.

She backed away from them. She wanted to slip back into the hammock they had used, but that left Mulder alone and vulnerable. As though sensing her, he quietly emerged and moved quickly to her side.

Before he could speak, the light bulb flickered and the train began to move down an incline. Her hand went out to steady herself and Mulder grabbed her arm. He groped his way back to the hammock and pulled them both back up into it. The incline sharpened and the light went out completely.

She clutched him and his arm tightened around her. "What's going on?" she asked again, though she knew he had no more information than she did.

"It feels like we're moving underground Maybe we're on a subway. We're slowing down as well."

"And where will we be when we stop?"

He looked down. He couldn't see her well in the darkness, but he could feel her fear. The problem was he shared it.

When the train leveled out again, the light flickered back on "Scully, why isn't anyone else waking up? I mean, this isn't exactly the smoothest ride."

"Maybe they're drugged I could - " she went silent as the train jerked to a halt.

"Too bad. I know you're not packing a gun under that outfit," he whispered as he held her close. The door opened with the whoosh of an air lock. Three individuals entered wearing radiation suits and pushing a gurney. He felt Scully tense against him.

The three ignored them, obviously assuming everyone was drugged. They approached the first hammock and loaded the man onto the gurney. He was wheeled out as they loaded the woman onto a second gurney. They worked silently until they approached Mulder and Scully's hammock.

Mulder sat up and the man in front startled back "You're awake."

"Is that a problem?"

"No, it saves us some work Come on."

"Where to?"

"Don't they tell you guys anything? You've been sent to the Raleigh Dome, at least for the next year."

Raleigh? Mulder kept quiet.

"Just follow me. There'll be a briefing."

Mulder looked him up and down "What about shoes?"

"They'll be issued, along with all of your supplies." He headed toward the door then Mulder placed Scully just ahead of him, his hand on her back, but holding her close.

The swooshing of the air lock made them exchange glances, then they were inside a short corridor with an elevator at the end. There was no other option Scully stiffened her spine and stepped into the car Mulder was right behind her.

There was a woman waiting for them. "I heard you were awake. Please, come with me, we'll go ahead and assign you a room." She looked down at her clipboard. "I don't seem to have your paperwork here. That's not unusual, but I need your names."

"Oh, yeah I'm William, this is Katherine."

She made notes on the paper and smiled. She motioned them toward a room on the left and they entered it .Still, no windows; and the ceiling was none too tall. It was dark and the plants hanging from the ceiling made it seem even darker. There was what seemed to be an examining table and locked cabinets. The amenities just weren't cutting it.

The woman joined them after a moment. "I'm Jennifer I just need some information, since we don't have your paperwork; and I'll need some blood."

"Blood?" Mulder's eyes narrowed.

"Just a drop, from the finger. We'll do the more elaborate tests in a few days after you're settled."

They exchanged glances, but a prick to get a drop or two should be okay. Scully nodded and held out her left hand. After taking a pipette of Scully's blood, Jennifer took Mulder's blood as well.

Within moments, the darkness took them both.


At least the bed wasn't moving this time. Scully was pressed against him, but she was wearing something and he at least had on boxers.

"Hey, Scully?" he said softly.

She protested mutely, but then realized she was again lying pressed up against her partner. She jerked away from him and very nearly fell off the bed. His arm around her kept her from hitting the floor. He pulled her back against him. "Be careful."

She didn't say anything.

Without rising, he looked around the room. He estimated it at twelve by twelve. There was one straight back chair, a small four-drawer, wooden dresser that had seen better days and the bed they were in. It wasn't even a full double bed, which partially accounted for their close proximity.

"Now what?" She finally met his eyes.

"I don't have a clue, but I don't like that we were knocked out again." He rose and flinched as his bare feet hit the cold floor. She tried to hide her sigh of relief that he wore boxers. He opened the closest door and she saw the tiny bathroom beyond it. There was a sink, toilet and small shower stall. He looked back at her and shrugged.

The second door hid a tiny closet. The bath and closet had obviously been added after the room had been built, making the room even smaller. The wall the bath and closet shared was cinder block. The word "bleak" described it perfectly.

He looked into the closet again and realized that all of the clothing looked the same; uniform blue and made from the same sturdy cloth as what they had put on when they woke on the train. At his look she rose and joined him. It was only a couple of steps, but before she got there, a knock on the door startled them.

"Bill, Kat, get up Breakfast is ready."

Mulder and Scully looked at each other "Bill and Kat?" Mulder mouthed to her. She shrugged "Uh, yeah, we're up."

"Better hurry," the voice said and moved on.

"Mulder?" She was shivering slightly now and not just because of the cold floor.

He pulled her against him, ignoring their lack of clothing and held her "I don't know. At least it seems to be morning for a change," he whispered in her ear, "but I think we need to play along for a little while and see what we can find out."

She took a steadying breath and nodded "I don't think we can both fit in that bathroom." He tried a leer, but she ignored it. "You go first. I'll see what these clothes are." He squeezed her hand once more as she moved away from him.

She shut the door to the bathroom. He moved toward the dim light in the corner. There were plants on the table and a fern hanging from the ceiling, just like the room they had waited in last night. After a moment he reached into the closet. There were three tunics with the name Bill in permanent marker over the left breast pocket. There were also three with the name Kat in the same location. These were slightly smaller, but still too large for her. There were also draw string pants in the two sizes.

The fabric had been washed so many times it was soft. He pulled out a set and slipped them on before Scully returned.

She hesitated just outside the door.

"Scully?"

"The, uh, the water never got hot I didn't take a shower."

"You okay?" He moved closer.

She met his eyes. "I want to know what's going on."

"We'll figure it out; remember they promised us a briefing Wait for me Don't open the door." He looked in that direction "Our stuff isn't here; no guns, cell phones, IDs."

She didn't respond, just glanced at the door A good breeze would blow it down, but she nodded and he let himself into the tiny bathroom. She dressed quickly, finding well used but clean underwear in the dresser. Even though the outfit with Kat on the front was smaller, she still had to roll up the pant legs several times. The smaller pair of work boots beside the door fit reasonably well.

He quickly joined her and slipped on his shoes. "Breakfast time."

She took a deep breath and stayed close to his side as he opened the door. There were other couples in the hall, all headed to the right, so Mulder and Scully followed along.

A couple of people nodded, but there was little conversation. They came to a large room set up as a cafeteria. They both noticed that plants were everywhere, hanging from the ceiling, lining the walls and near the lights on the serving table. Mulder joined the line, placing Scully in front of him. There were probably forty couples in the room, some were already seated, eating, others were arriving.

They were each handed a bowl of runny oatmeal and a cup of coffee. Scully looked at it with distaste, but headed toward a table. They sat side by side and looked around for seasonings, coffee fixings. There were none.

The coffee was hot, but weak and the oatmeal was bland, almost gruel. No one seemed to be complaining, eating the food in silence.

Mulder had lost his appetite at the smell. Oatmeal had never been his favorite, but at Scully's silent urging he'd forced himself to swallow it. After the coffee, people began waking up a little and conversations started up.

"Where are we assigned today?" a man down the table from them asked. "Did anybody check?"

"We're harvesting," a second man spoke up, pointing to a clipboard hanging by the door.

"Yeah, I guess most of us are this week," the first man spoke. A couple of others nodded. They began rising, taking their dirty dishes to the window into the kitchen. Bowls were rinsed; mismatched silverware went into soapy tubs.

Then, with his hand on her back, Mulder and Scully fell into line following the two couples from their table outside. Damn, this felt like something out of Orwell's 1984. Everyone dressed alike and moving more like automatons than anything else.

As the others picked up wide brim hats from pegs near the door, he picked up the two on the pegs with masking tape marked Bill and Kat. He handed her one and her eyebrow rose.

Her steps faltered as they stepped outside. The sky wasn't right. It took an instant to realize they were inside a large dome, but outside of the dome was even worse. The sky was a dirty orange and yellow with streaks of brown. There was light but it reminded him of the light just before a major storm or an eclipse. No wonder the ancients thought it was the end of the world, this was.

There was no privacy so they only exchanged looks. One of the men from the table, the one with Randy on his tunic, looked up as well. "It is lighter, isn't it?" He shook his head. "Makes me glad we're this far south."

There was no good response to that, so they headed down a short dirt road to the fields. Mulder looked back at the building they had exited. It was squat and gray and dismal looking. There were no windows but the cinder block building had been bermed which accounted for the coolness inside. There were even plants growing on the roof. It was as close to a man-made cave as he'd ever seen.

Randy grabbed up a basket and turned into a row of beans.

Mulder took a basket from the same stack and followed Scully deeper into the row, giving them some privacy. They both leaned over and began picking the beans from the vine. "Mulder, what the hell could cause that to the sky?"

He shook his head, his face grave "I don't know, but it looks damn lethal."

"I don't know of anything that would cause - "

"Anything natural."

"Are you thinking ... " She looked around to make certain they couldn't be heard. "Aliens?"

"I'm not saying anything. Whatever happened, how could we just wake up here, and not know what's going on?. We were put on that train, with nothing, not even clothes. Then we were knocked out again."

She sighed then and continued with the beans. They were quiet, each thinking their own thoughts, staying close to one another. When the first basket was full she took one side of the basket to help him carry it to the cart. He didn't protest, wanting to keep her within arms length.

After a couple of hours, a new cart pulled up with water and lunch after a couple of hours, so they took a break. The full cart pulled away. They washed up, then each took a thickly sliced sandwich with cheese and a thin layer of meat she didn't want to identify.

A thin man, shorter than Mulder, with Vince over his pocket, took a seat in the shade of the truck near Scully and leaned against the tire, stretching his back. "I heard a rumor that we were expecting some new people from north." He looked over at Mulder. "That where you're from?"

"North?" Randy's companion, with Sue written on her uniform, said, "I haven't seen anyone from north is ages."

"Well I'm sure they're not talking due north, probably western Pennsylvania, not near DC." Vince took a swig of water "Right, Bill?"

Mulder smiled. "Farther west, Ohio."

Vince nodded "It's good here. You have to work, but you have shelter and food, medical care I know we're lucky to be here. If you have any questions or anything, let us know," he offered.

"Thanks, we'll do that," Mulder answered.

"I haven't seen Rob or Vanessa today." Sue looked around.

"Didn't you hear?" Vince grinned. "Vanessa is confirmed pregnant."

Randy sat forward "You're kidding. That lucky SOB." He shook his head, "When are they leaving?"

"As soon as possible, I'm sure; probably this afternoon. They're going to want to get them south of here while they're both still fertile," Vince offered.

Sue glanced at Randy, but then stared down at her feet Mulder and Scully exchanged looks. Once the lunch was finished, they returned to the fields.

The sky was beginning to darken in the east when they finally heard the bell to return to the buildings. Mulder straightened up, stretching his back and groaning slightly. Still he held out his hand to help Scully up. They trudged back inside and returned to their rooms to clean up.

"You take first shower, Mulder."

He looked like he was going to protest for a moment, then nodded. He moved into the bathroom. She stretched across the bottom of the bed. His shower was short and he returned to the room with the thin towel around his waist. It wasn't quite large enough to wrap around his hips. He sidled around her and she rose, avoiding looking in his direction.

Her shower was quick as well and when she stepped out, she understood why Mulder had returned to the room to dry off. Even as small as she was, she would have trouble maneuvering in this space. After scratching her elbow on the cinder blocks, she gave up and opened the door.

Mulder had taken her place across the foot of the bed. The small towel hid his privates, but she could see the long line of his torso and hip naked before her. Tired as she was, the sight caused a reaction. She tamped down on it immediately; they were in a survival situation.

She realized he had opened his eyes and was watching her. Color flooded her cheeks and she turned abruptly, trying to hide the fact.

"Sorry, I drifted off." She heard him rise from the bed.

"It's okay. We're both exhausted."

"Uh, if you'll stay there for a minute, I'll get out of your way." He pulled open the closet door and reached for a second uniform "I'll go - "

"No!" She turned and he rapidly pulled the slacks to his waist. "I mean, don't leave."

"Scully?"

"I don't think we should be separated. We don't - "

"Okay," he said quickly "Go ahead and dress." He kept his back to her as she hurried to put on a new uniform herself "I understand all the plants now. They're trying to keep the oxygen level up. Do you know what the little plants on the table are?"

"Uh, yes. We have basil, chives, fennel and I think that's oregano. They're kitchen herbs. The spider plant must be just for oxygen Mulder when did all this happen? I mean, they couldn't have hidden this structure."

He nodded and turned when her hand came to rest on his arm. "We need to get out there for dinner. We can go over my theory later."

She seemed to wilt, but nodded. His hand on the small of her back seemed appreciated. The hall was deserted, but as they neared the dining room, Scully spotted Sue, seated on the floor in a dark corner.

She hesitated, then squatted beside her Mulder stood as though a guard over them "Sue? What's wrong?"

Sue shook her head, wiping her tears away. When she looked up at Scully, she sighed. "I am happy for Vanessa and Rob."

That took Scully a couple of seconds, then she remembered - the couple that were pregnant. "I'm sure you are."

"I'm just so scared Randy and I only have two months left."

"Two ... ?"

Sue nodded "Then they'll separate us I knew the rules, and it seemed like a wonderful opportunity. I really thought we'd get pregnant, I mean a year. But now I'm terrified. We're not like a lot of the couples here. We were married . . before I'll be given to strangers." Tears welled up again.

"Strangers?"

"Okay, not complete strangers, but not Randy. You've got time, twelve months, but if the problem is me, and Randy gets one of his other partners pregnant, then the two of them will go south and I'll be sent north alone!"

"Sue, you need to calm down." Scully put her arm around her, missing the grim look on Mulder's face. "The stress won't help. Are you, are you ovulating?"

"Next week," she murmured.

"I'm sure you know this, but don't have sex with Randy again until then. You know, build up the maximum sperm. Okay?"

Sue nodded, hiccupping slightly.

"You need to eat." Scully started to rise and felt Mulder's hand on her elbow. He took Sue's hand to lift her to her feet as well.

Scully wouldn't meet Mulder's eyes Giving advice on how to get pregnant was outside of her field "Go splash some water on your face, Sue, then come join us."

Sue nodded and moved away from them down the hall.

"Mulder?"

He shook his head "Let's eat. We can talk when we're alone."

She noted his face was carefully blank, almost to the point of his panic face, but she wasn't sure she wanted to know his thoughts right now.

Again they joined the line and were given bowls of a hearty stew Scully recognized some of the beans they had harvested that day. She didn't recognize the meat again, but overheard some people at the next table discuss the procreation rate of squirrels Mulder got two large pieces of the bread for them to clean their bowls.

After the meal Jennifer entered the room Mulder's eyes narrowed but she didn't seem the least disturbed if she even noticed. She quietly spoke to several couples, then approached Scully "We're going to have a briefing now, if you'll follow me."

"Are you planning to knock us out again?" Mulder asked just as quietly.

Her smile faded "There are tests that have to be run. That's why we transport you unconscious. You're very lucky to be here at all, I don't think you're going to want to protest." She pasted a smile back on her face "Follow me, please."

Scully's hand on his arm kept him quiet. He rose from the table and fell in behind Scully, following the other couples to another smaller room set up with chairs in a horseshoe pattern. He recognized one of the couples from their train car Probably the others had come in with them as well.

Once everyone was seated, the small, balding man sitting at the front of the room stood and smiled "Welcome I'm Dr Rubin First, congratulations on being selected to join us here. You are among the healthiest people in what used to be the United States, which makes you among the healthiest in the world. You have been selected to live here for up to eighteen months. You will be with your current mate for twelve of those months. This is the most important project in the history of mankind - survival. We will monitor you closely, but we want you to try not to become stressed I would love to be able to reassure you that all of you will get pregnant quickly. You know I would be lying, but we have every hope that will be the outcome. When you do become pregnant, you will be transported south immediately and hopefully have many more children."

Scully had frozen at those words, staring straight ahead Mulder had been looking around the room, at the other couples. They were smiling and holding hands or had their arms around each other. At the word pregnant, he turned to her. He could see her shock, he could feel his own. He let his hand rub her back slightly but he didn't think she even noticed.

They both missed the next few sentences, then Dr. Rubin released them to return to their rooms with the advice to stretch out well before going to bed Mulder noted there was no question and answer session.

"Excuse me, Dr. Rubin, have you been able to analyze the radiation?"

The smaller man hesitated at the door "Are you a scientist, Bill?"

"No, but I thought knowing the type of radiation could help in treatment."

"We're not working on that part of the process here. We are focused exclusively on the fertility program. It's our theory that we can develop a resistant human."

"Resistant. Well, I hope you're right."

Mulder helped Scully to her feet and guided her out into the hall. She looked up at him then, but he motioned for her to keep quiet. She subsided and let him lead her to their room.

He seated her on the bed and squatted in front of her "Scully?"

"What's your theory?"

He blinked at that, but if that's what she could handle right now, he'd take her lead "Do you remember the package that was delivered just before everything went screwy?"

After a moment with her forehead wrinkled she nodded "From MIT."

"Right. You had the box and I picked up the note. It was from Lisa Ianelli Remember that name?"

She met his eyes then, her mouth had fallen open "The future. You think we're in the future."

He slowly nodded "I think they, I think the aliens came Colonization, Scully. We knew it was coming, so did the government. The government had to have built this place, these places Something had to have gone wrong for them. We still exist, humans still exist. No one's said when we are, but it can't be too far - "

She rose then and he scrambled to his feet. She didn't speak, but moved toward the bathroom and shut the door behind her. He sank down on the bed and after a moment let his face fall into his hands. They were here to get pregnant?. That wasn't going to happen, even if they were involved that way With the in-vitro he'd only gotten a plastic cup And then in her disappointment and depression she'd moved even farther from him. She'd never wanted to move their relationship in that direction and he respected that, even if she was the one who helped him get to sleep most nights - she just didn't happen to be there.

Deep in his musings, he didn't hear the bathroom door open. She stood there watching him. Well, she could see how disturbed he was by tonight's revelations. His life was in danger and she couldn't cover his back this time. She wasn't going to get pregnant. She couldn't even get pregnant with special medical assistance.

"Mulder?"

He jerked upright and rose to his feet "You okay?"

She shrugged slightly.

"We'll be all right, Scully. We've gone undercover as a couple before; and ... and we know each other."

"I know I'm wondering what we do in a year."

"We'll be home before that."

"Oh?. You're working on the process now?" She sounded tired and brittle.

"Let's get some rest. We don't have any answers right now, but tomorrow morning we'll have to be back in the fields."

"Mulder, I can't ... "

He took her hand and pulled her to him "I know you're tired. We'll think of something."

"Like what?"

"Scully, please."

Instead of answering him she looked down at the bed. He saw her conflict, but surely she didn't expect him to sleep sitting up in that little chair. After a moment she seemed to relax "You're right; we need to get some sleep."

She lay down on her side of the bed a little stiffly and after a moment, he joined her. She tensed up even more, but he drew her back against him as he spooned around her "Relax, Scully. There's not that much room and we're going to need to get comfortable Come on, partner, you trust me."

"Yes, Mulder I do." She seemed to finally relax at that. They spoke no more of aliens that night.

The next day was the same, but after dinner some couples sat around the tables visiting, relaxing, as others returned to their rooms Scully looked over at him, to follow his lead. He gave her a tiny shrug, then rose and moved with her over toward a small group of people at a nearby table. She recognized Vince and saw that an oriental woman from the kitchen had joined him.

Mulder joined in the conversation that focused mainly on sore muscles. The topic eventually turned to the group of new couples that had recently arrived and the additional ones that were expected to replace the couple that had left Scully noted there was some grumbling that new couples from the north would be given a full year, while people they had grown to know would be sent away.

No one spoke of what had caused this disaster.

"What exactly happens when someone's sent north?" Mulder finally asked, ready to defend his ignorance if necessary.

It wasn't "It's just so much worse there. The domes can't keep out that much of the radiation I've heard you live inside the factories all the time; never go outside at all. They gave up trying to grow any crops. The only things they make are the durables, uniforms, shoes, that kind of thing. They exchange them for the food from here and other domes in the southern areas." Vince shook his head. "Even then, people don't seem to last long."

Scully saw the look of fear in most everyone's eyes and leaned against Mulder. He looked down at her, "Well, morning's going to come early." He rose and took her hand. A chorus of good night's followed them out into the hall.

When they got to the room, he saw that she had stopped and was staring at the bed "Uh, Scully, you were okay with sharing the bed last night, weren't you?"

She glanced around the room "Not a lot of options, Mulder Try and stay on your side."

A genuine grin split his face, erasing some of his weariness "I'll be good."

"I'll settle for you trying to be good." She took her nightgown from the peg on the bathroom door and closed it behind her. He relaxed visibly. She trusted him, he knew that, but this was a different situation, even for them. He stripped down to his boxers and crawled under the covers.

When she emerged, her uniform folded over her arm, she glanced at his clothes tossed over the chair. She glared at him, then hung both uniforms in the closet "I'm not your mother. We don't know how many sets of these we have, Mulder. If we mess up two a day ... "

"You're right Thanks." He nodded Mother?. Not even close. She rolled onto her side, her back to him and seemed to be asleep shortly. It took him longer, even though he was exhausted. Her proximity wasn't helping, but the things he'd heard throughout the day kept replaying in his mind.

Their only true safety lay in the ability to get pregnant. That wasn't going to happen, but at least they had some time on that Unfortunately he didn't have much faith in waking up at home tomorrow, so . .. North was deadly, near D.C. That sounded like a massive attack and from the color of the sky, from a weapon he was unfamiliar with. It had to be aliens. But even with colonization why kill off the humans? Did they not even need consumables anymore?

Scully stirred as though picking up his tension. He couldn't do anything about that right now Instead he spooned around her body and allowed himself to relax in the comfort of her Sleeping with her was no problem, even in this tiny bed In fact they seemed to fit perfectly together. He finally drifted off surrounded by her scent.


They fell into a routine Each night after dinner they joined whatever conversation was going on. It quickly became apparent that most of the discussions were speculation.

There had been an attack, but there were no eye witnesses from the actual event Most people thought it came from China or the Middle East Aliens weren't mentioned, at least not at first.

From what news got out before communications were completely disrupted, it seemed that most cities were affected Due to weather patterns eastern Tennessee and over half of. North Carolina had been spared. There were several domes that had been erected as quickly as possible. It was rumored that southern Texas was even cleaner and that's where people who had succeeded in getting pregnant were sent.

The radiation had rendered most people sterile. There had been no warning of the attack and no time to take cover, but some children were still conceived. The long term prognosis of those children hadn't been studied yet. The pregnancies that did occur were guarded ferociously, but even then word was that less than half the pregnancies ended in a full term baby. The human population hovered on the brink of extinction.

Mulder didn't bring aliens up with any of the groups, but began to speculate quietly during lunch with one or two of the others. When they realized he wasn't laughing, others let them know that they too had heard that rumor. No one had any credible information.

What wasn't discussed was what was expected of them since the briefing. He didn't have a clue how to bring it up and she obviously wanted to avoid the whole subject.


They had headed back to their room immediately after dinner that night. He wanted to pace but he couldn't go outside, he couldn't run - no one was allowed outside for such a 'useless' purpose. When he heard the intercom crackle, he cracked the door to better hear the announcement "Before reporting to your work station tomorrow all non-menstruating women will report to the clinic for a motility test Repeat, before work tomorrow all non-menstruating women will report to the clinic for a motility test."

Mulder turned to look at Scully, confusion plain on his face. She was white as a sheet. He was at her side in two steps "What? What's a motility test? What are they going to do to you?"

She shook her head and he seated her on the bed "Scully, talk to me," he spoke low due to the thin walls but his intensity was full volume.

"A, a motility test, uh ... " She studied her hands, "A motility test checks on the mobility of sperm inside of the female. It makes sure the sperm are healthy and that the environment inside the vagina is hospitable." She sounded like she was reading a textbook, no emotion colored her words.

Now he paled, but didn't take his eyes off of her "But that means ... "

She nodded.

"Scully, we don't have to - "

"If we don't, Mulder, they'll think you're sterile. They'll send you north."

"Scully ... "

She managed a tight smile then. "It's okay."

Okay? What was he to make of that?. They were going to have to have sex. He'd always fantasized about making love to this woman; not just have sex.

"Scully, I don't know if I - "

"You're a grown man, Mulder. You can do this. We just have to ... "

He closed his eyes and moved away from her Yeah, he could do this but ... Getting it up wasn't the problem For the last couple of years when he looked, hell, gazed at Scully, it was all he could do to keep it down. She turned away then, unable to look at him. She took a deep breath and pulled the tunic off over her head. She slipped on her nightgown, then removed her pants. She slipped into the bed and waited. She looked like a sacrifice waiting to be ... taken.

He had kept his back while he listened to her undress How the hell could he even contemplate this?. This was Scully, the woman that populated his hopes and dreams What would happen to her if he refused? With no ... with no sperm they would send him away. She'd be alone here, at the mercy of ... and she was barren. She would be sent north, but only after being used .... His fists clenched and his chest tightened.

"Mulder." Her voice was remote, devoid of emotion.

"Scully," he spoke, but didn't move closer to the bed. "We don't - "

"Mulder."

That was all she said, but that said it all. They had to do this God, could he? Could he use her like that?. He approached the bed. It felt like she was trying not to flinch from him How could he hurt her this way?. He sat on the edge of the bed, but neither spoke Finally he jerked his tunic off over his head.

Working in the fields had made a difference; his muscles were leaner, more defined ... more desirable. He was watching her, so she looked away. No reason to make this worse. He didn't need to see how much she wanted him, even now.

"Scully, I never wanted - "

"Don't," she interrupted. It was bad enough he was forced into this. She didn't need to hear him say he'd never wanted her this way.

He shut up then Just do it, try not to hurt her any more than necessary. He couldn't help his arousal. Hell, it was Scully, the woman he had held in his arms all night for the last few weeks. He slipped under the covers and gently pulled her to him Should he remove her nightgown?. She wasn't giving him any signals. It didn't look like she wanted him to see her, but he couldn't just enter her unprepared. The last thing he wanted to do was hurt her, at least physically.

Silently he brought his fingers to her core. She fought the tension that immediately took over her body One of his hands soothed her, while the other explored her sex To her mortification she realized how wet she had become. He had obviously noted it and looked up at her face. She turned away and he faltered, then removed his fingers. She couldn't help it, this was Mulder How many times had her own fingers created this same arousal with his face before her?

He began to enter her and she clamped down on a moan and closed her eyes. He was big, bigger than she had imagined. She felt full, stretched almost beyond endurance. After a slight hesitation he began to move.

God she was damn tight, hot - hot and wet. He couldn't take any credit for that, but he was grateful. She should be in less ... discomfort and he could pretend at least that she was enjoying it.

This certainly wasn't his finest work. It had been too long since he'd had some privacy Great, he finally was with this woman and he was turning into the two minute man. Hell, he'd had more control at 14 with the neighbor's babysitter. But if it saved her life ... Would she ever forgive him? God, Scully. He let go, filling her and collapsing. He immediately withdrew and rolled from her.

He needed to make this better. He had to. He let his hand lightly touch her curls, but before he could do more, she move away "That's okay."

"Scully let me - "

"Go to sleep, Mulder," she said it quietly, emotionlessly. She rolled to her side putting her back to him and closed her eyes. She pressed her thighs together, remembering the feel of him.

She'd used him again Part of her still reeled that she had asked this man to help her through the in-vitro process. Now he was having to save her life with his sperm. She bit her lip to keep quiet.

He watched her for a moment, then reached for the small lamp by the bed. He flipped off the light and lay on his side, his back to her as well. He stared into the darkness unable to sleep. He had raped her. He had just raped the only woman in the world he loved. She hadn't fought, she hadn't demurred, a lamb led to slaughter And he was the executioner - he'd murdered any feeling she could ever have had for him And all to save their lives.

Sleep took a long time to finally claim either of them.


When she woke, she realized they both had turned in the night. She was curled into his chest, his arm around her, his chin resting on her head One of his legs had insinuated itself between hers and she had wrapped her leg around it In short, they were as entangled as two separate beings could physically be.

It took her a moment to orient herself. The soreness between her legs brought memory and she jerked away, her cheeks flaming.

"Wha - " He realized what was happening and released her quickly, then had to grab her again to keep her from falling to the floor.

They dressed in silence. She was aware of the times he looked at her, obviously trying to gauge her mood. She should put him at ease, but what would that entail?. He had had to have sex with her - 'they' had forced the situation. She wasn't going to get pregnant, so it was a waste. He was healthy, compared to the other men here he was truly a magnificent specimen. She should release him. He could probably get several women pregnant, hell, maybe everyone here. There were several women here that she knew would have drawn his attention in the past.


They had finished breakfast, sitting side by side but not speaking when the woman that worked in the clinic touched Scully's shoulder "Kat, you and Bill can come in now."

"Bill? Why does he ... "

"The doctor likes to see couples together. It helps them bond."

Scully rose without another word Mulder closed his eyes for an instant, then followed her down the hall.

"Now don't be nervous, Dear. It's just like a pap smear."

"Should I ... should I be in here?" Mulder glanced at Scully's blank face.

"Of course. You'll want to hear what the doctor says. You can just take that chair up by her head Go ahead and put on this gown, Kat. The doctor will be right in." She let herself out and Mulder put his hand on Scully's arm. She moved away immediately and he let his arm fall back to his side.

"I'm sorry," he said quietly. She started to respond, but he had turned his back, giving her privacy to change. Her shoulders sagged How were they going to live like this?

Shortly the doctor tapped on the door and entered "Kat, Bill, this won't take long Kat, if you could just lie back and put your feet in the stirrups. That's good, scoot down just a little Thanks."

She was silent, staring at the ceiling. She could feel Mulder watching her. He was concerned and obviously unfamiliar with the procedure Part of her automatically wanted to reassure him, but she could feel the wall he'd erected around himself and she was just too confused to know what to feel.

When the doctor left to use the microscope, they sat in silence waiting for the doctor to return. At least three times he started to reach for her but managed to stop himself each time. She didn't help, unsure what she wanted.

When the door opened again, Dr. Rubin fairly burst into the office. His excitement was palpable "Bill, your paperwork still hasn't arrived Tell me, where did you come from?"

"What?"

"You're healthy, probably the healthiest man that has come here since the program was instituted."

"I don't - "

"You looked healthier at my first exam, but I never .... You have a sperm count from before the, from before. They are healthy and mobile." Scully averted her head Mulder looked in her direction, ignoring the doctor Could the SOB rub it in any harder?

"I know that we have given you twelve months with your current partner - "

"Kat is sitting right here," Mulder pointed out quickly.

"I'm sorry, of course she is I'm just very excited with my findings." He ran a hand through his thinning hair "Kat, forgive me, but this is crucial. We set this up so that the couples have twelve months to try to conceive In this case though, Bill, we need for you to consider a different arrangement." He again focused on Mulder, seeming to exclude Scully "I believe I could get you a pass south, based on my findings. We could inseminate a number of women that otherwise will - "

"Would Kat go with me?"

Dr. Rubin blinked at the interruption "I ... I'd have to check into that."

"Fine Get back to us." Mulder rose then and took Scully's arm. She looked like she wanted to protest the move, but held her tongue in front of the doctor.

Mulder moved her down the hall and toward their room. Once out of sight of the office, she pulled her arm from his grip and stepped farther from him. His step faltered, but he continued following her into the small room they shared.

"Scully?" he said it softly, but she didn't turn, shutting herself in their tiny bathroom. He sank onto the bed and stared at his shoes.

When she emerged, composure firmly in place, he rose to his feet "We need to get to work," she said quietly.

"I think we need to talk."

"There's nothing to talk about."

He gaped at her "You're kidding, right?"

She forced herself to meet his eyes, keeping her expression neutral.

He watched her for a full minute, then shaking his head; he let himself out of the room and walked rapidly toward the dining room

She sank onto the bed they now shared and after a moment curled into a fetal position.

Without her, he snatched up his wide brimmed hat and headed for the fields. The beans were picked clean, but there were other vegetables still to be harvested and he moved purposefully in that direction. He kept his mind a careful blank as he worked, not even hearing the chatter of the others.

When they broke for lunch he sat alone and everyone respected his privacy, coming up with their own conclusions as to his mood and her absence. It was no secret they had been called into Dr. Rubin's office and everyone had heard the announcement the night before.


She ate with the kitchen staff that night, since she'd worked with them all day. They hadn't pressed her to talk and she was grateful. There was a lot of tension in this place, especially between partners As soon as things started slowing down, they shooed her off to go to her room.

Unfortunately that was the last place she wanted to be right now How could she face him?. It was a moot point, he wasn't in the room. She quickly got ready for bed. She could pretend to be asleep when he got there. She still couldn't face talking to him.

She didn't fall asleep and he didn't come to the room As much as she wanted to avoid him right now, she was getting worried. She'd become used to sharing the small bed with him and she was chilly. Hell, she was lonely too What had she done?. She finally fell asleep, exhausted.

He was in the bathroom when she woke. She could hear the shower and she sat up. When the door opened he didn't even look over at her.

"Mulder."

He began dressing.

"Mulder Where did you sleep?"

"Didn't Breakfast is ready. You should get up."

She bit her lip, but rose from the bed and shut herself in the bathroom.

He turned when he heard the door shut and stared at the door. He actually took a step toward it but stopped himself and left the room What could he say anyway?

In the small enclosure she heard the door shut behind him and let her body sag against the side of the small tin shower. Now what?. She closed her eyes, allowing one tear to fall.


Today, with her still not beside him, Mulder felt their eyes on him, assessing a situation of which they had no knowledge. He didn't attempt to enlighten them and again they kept their distance, until lunch.

Mulder took his sandwich and moved to a spot of shade away from the others. He ate the food, but it was bitter to him. A movement to his left caused him to look up Randy stood there, beside him "Could I talk to you a minute?"

Shit, marital advice? "Yeah," he said shortly and Randy took a seat beside him.

"Look, I heard ... Bill, I heard you're..." the man swallowed, but forced himself to continue. "Healthy."

Mulder looked over startled, so much for medical ethics. He kept quiet.

"I need a favor Sue and I are running out of time Two months, we've got two months before they split us up. She's my wife, man. Not someone they gave me when we got here. No one needs to know, it can be between the three, uh, four of us, if you want to tell Kat. You could ... "

"You want me to sleep with Sue," Mulder stated it flatly.

Randy winced "You don't have to ... we could - "

"So really you just want to borrow a cup of spunk."

Randy's face flushed dark, but he squared his shoulders, not backing down "Wouldn't you, if it could save Kat's life?" he finally said.

Mulder looked away. This man didn't know, couldn't know, what had happened between him and Scully, but his comment hit home.

"I need to think about this; talk to Sc-Kat."

"Yeah, sure." Randy started to rise.

"Does everyone know about this?"

"Not yet," Randy replied.

"But they will."

Randy nodded and made it to his feet, brushing his pants off "Yeah, they will, but not from me." He watched Mulder for a moment, then turned and walked back to the others.

Mulder refused to look in that direction. He wished desperately for Scully to be beside him, but he couldn't even consider talking to her about this.

The day did not improve. When he returned to the building that evening, walking apart from the others, he could feel their curiosity Randy hadn't said anything, that wouldn't be in his best interest, but whoever had talked to him apparently had no such scruples.

Scully was behind the food line when he went to dinner. She watched him approach and gave him a small smile. He turned away and took his food to a far table. She closed her eyes, the tiny hope she had tried to hang onto dissolving. She turned back to her work, ignoring the looks the others cast her way.

He looked up from his plate when he felt someone over him. He was surprised to see Jennifer at his side "Another briefing?"

"Actually I wanted to talk to you."

"About?" He had already turned back to his meal.

"I can see that you and Kat are having problems."

"So?"

"So, this is the kind of place where 'problems' aren't as important as the project. If she doesn't want your ... attentions, there are many women who do."

"Are you one of them?" He looked her squarely in the eye.

She had the grace to blush, but she didn't look away "Yes To live, to get sent south ... "

"So I'm your 'type'."

Her chin came up defiantly. "You could do worse."

"I probably have." With that he rose, taking his plate and walked away.

Her eyes narrowed as she watched him leave her.


His mood sank even lower after his encounter with Jennifer, though she was keeping her distance, at least for now. He could feel the eyes of everyone on him. No one else had actually approached him, but even in his funk he knew these people were desperate Part of him, a tiny part, cared.

He kept his distance from Scully when he could Unfortunately the tiny room they shared was his only refuge. The problem was that was also true of her.

He stayed away until he hoped she was asleep each night, but he was no longer comfortable around the other people that lived there. They all wanted something from him now; he felt it with every breath, that and their desperation.

Randy finally approached him again, this time he met Mulder's eyes unflinchingly "Have you spoken with Kat?"

"No."

Randy took a deep breath "Sue will be ovulating in a couple of days."

"Randy - "

"Do you think this is easy for me? Do you think I want my wife to have your child?. But I'm willing to do that to save her life."

It was Mulder that couldn't look up now "I ... I'll talk to, to Kat tonight."

"Thank you." The smaller man walked away.

Oh yeah, he could talk to Scully about this Sure, why not? So what if he couldn't even talk to her about what had happened between the two of them. She'd definitely want to discuss him impregnating Sue.

He was wandering through the building Since he couldn't run, he'd learned a path through the storerooms and kitchen. It gave him some exercise and even more important, some privacy.

He didn't see the blow coming as he turned the corner until the last second. It was too late to ward it off and the pipe connected with his head. He went down, dazed but not out Fortunately there was no second blow Whoever had assaulted him grabbed him by the feet and started hauling him down the corridor and into a room. There was no one here he couldn't take, if they were unarmed, so he faked unconsciousness to see what the hell was going on.

When the man left him to secure the door, Mulder opened his eyes. He knew this guy, he was in another work crew but he'd seen him around and at meals. He didn't think they'd ever had a conversation. He was not as tall as Mulder, probably 5' 10"and not as well built, but he'd packed a wallop with that pipe What was his name? Curtis?. No, Carl.

Mulder forced himself to go limp again as Carl turned back toward him Mulder heard nothing, as though the man were just standing there, staring at him Finally there was a whisper "I'm sorry, man I'm sorry." Then he began untying the drawstring of Mulder's pants.

What was happening clicked then and before Carl could get his pants loose enough to lower them, Mulder grabbed his arm "What the fuck do you think you're doing?"

Carl's eyes were panic wide and his lips moved, though no sound emerged for a moment "I, I need ... "

"Shit." Mulder rose then, not releasing the smaller man's arm "You could have killed me!"

"No, no I didn't hit you that hard I just needed you to - "

"Yeah, I know what you needed. You couldn't ask?"

"I ... I have to ... I'm already on my 15th month. They'll kill me."

"They'll send you north."

"It's the same thing! I have to, damn it Bill, I need this!"

Mulder's headache wasn't making this any better. He'd already told Randy he'd talk to Scully about this. Now he was being assaulted in the halls for a quickie "I'm walking out of here."

"Look, I know I messed up here - "

"Messed up?. You stay away from me I don't know what's going to happen here, but believe me when I tell you that you try anything like this again and I will take you out. Then you won't have to worry about going north or anywhere else."

The smaller man paled, but he backed away Mulder moved around him, giving him a wide berth, then made his way quickly to his room Great, now the inside of the complex wasn't safe for him either.


She entered their room and spotted him sitting in the straight back chair, his head in his hands "Sorry, I didn't realize..."

Slowly he sat up and sighed "It's okay. It's your room too I'll give you some space."

"Where are you ... Mulder? What happened to you?" She hurried to his side, checking out the bruise on his head.

"It's okay."

"What happened?" she demanded, the proximity of her body keeping him in the chair.

"Don't worry about it I'll be back later Go on to bed."

"Mulder." She wasn't going to move.

"Carl attacked me. He dragged me off to one of the store rooms and ... "

"Oh my god!"

"My virtue, such as it is, is intact I can take him, and just about anyone else here. It's okay."

"You should do it," she said quietly.

"Do what?"

"You should give them your sperm, Mulder Impregnate Sue, hell impregnate everyone here. They'll send you south and - "

"No," he rose to his feet then.

"It will save your life!"

"One - I don't especially want my life saved without you Two - I'm not going south or anywhere without you with me And three -. It's my sperm and the only one I want using it is you."

She blinked at that and seemed to draw further away from him "You don't have to - "

"You're right, I don't." He turned then and left the room. He didn't see her hand reach for him as he stalked away.

She sank into the chair he had vacated. There was no reason to hope.

When he returned a couple of hours later she had gotten ready for bed, but was sitting up with the light blanket around her shoulders, her knees up at her chest.

"You should be asleep."

"I wanted to wait for you. We need to talk."

He hesitated, then resumed his seat in the chair "About?"

"Look, I think you should go ahead and, and help these people." She looked down, studying her hands.

"Wow, if only I'd been this popular in high school," he said with no humor.

"It can save your - "

"Stop."

"I know you didn't want to have sex with me."

He looked up finally, startled "What?"

"You said it that night."

"I said what?" He leaned toward her.

"You said you didn't want me I forced you. If anyone raped anyone, it was me. You don't have anything to feel guilty about."

He stared at her in silence for a long moment, then he leaned back "You didn't let me finish what I was trying to say that night, but you're right, I didn't want to have sex with you, Scully."

She winced but managed not to look away.

"I didn't want to have sex with you I wanted to make love to you."

Her eyes widened and her lips parted but she made no sound.

"I knew that wasn't anything you wanted. You've made that clear for a long time."

"I made that..." she just looked at him then.

"You wanted a sample from me, not me I agreed because I knew how much you wanted a child And yes, I hoped that if I was the, the father, we'd have a connection that you couldn't..." He shrugged "I guess I don't want to give away any more samples."

"That's not ... Oh god." She pushed the blanket off of her shoulders and rose from the bed. She stood in front of him and he looked up, meeting her eyes "That is not what I meant."

"So what did you mean?"

"The same thing you did. You said you didn't want it to come between us. You were distancing yourself and I understood, or I thought I did."

"Distancing ... Jesus, that wasn't..." He turned away for a moment. When he looked back, he met her eyes "Scully, why did you ask me to help you?"

She looked deep into his eyes then. She had hurt this man, hurt him terribly by withholding the truth. That wasn't going to happen again "Because I wanted to have your baby I didn't ask anyone else, and I wouldn't have. You're the only man I want to have children with Mulder, I'm in love with you I'm sorry I never said that to you before."

He sat there like a statue.

"Mu-Mulder?"

"You're in love with me."

Her chin went up "Yes."

"You wanted to have a baby with me, my child."

"Yes," she said firmly.

"I didn't rape you."

She moved closer to him then, and let her hand caress his cheek. His hand was trembling slightly as it covered her "You didn't force me to do anything. The circumstances, the test, they forced things, not you."

"Why did you pull away from me?"

"Because I didn't understand. When you said ... I didn't know," she whispered "I was, I was embarrassed that my body, that I - " she looked down as her cheeks flushed "I responded to you."

"That was a bad thing?"

"It was if you didn't want me."

He closed his eyes, shaking his head "We really should have taken that communication seminar."

He opened his eyes again at her chuckle "Maybe you're right," she sighed "I should have told you."

"You're told me now."

"Is that enough?"

She tugged him to his feet and looked up at him. She wasn't quite touching him but a deep breath would bring her breasts in contact with his chest "You're in love with me."

"Fox Mulder, I, Dana Scully, am in love with you. You might as well get used to it."

He still didn't take her in his arms, but his finger traced her cheekbone.

"Mulder?"

"I don't want to mess this up."

She rose on her toes and placed a chaste kiss on his lips "You won't, you can't. We're together Mulder I think we always have been."

At that his hands cupped her head and turned her face up toward him. His lips met hers then and her arms went around his neck. He lifted her against him and crushed her to him "Scully."

"Make love with me, Mulder."

His eyes closed and nodded. She smiled and moved toward the small bed they had shared. He followed, not taking his eyes from her. At the bed she took hold of the hem of his shirt and lifted it over his head. Her fingers lightly played over the muscles of his chest. After a moment, he took hold of her hand.

She nodded and he removed her top. He outlined her plain cotton bra and after a tiny hesitation, unhooked it. It fell to her feet and his hand cupped her breast. He bowed, reverently it seemed, and kissed first one then the other.

She eased down on the bed and pulled him down with her. He lay beside her and caressed the silky skin of her abdomen "Muld - "

"Shh," he whispered in her ear. He untied the cord at the waist of her pants and slid them down her legs. The cotton panties went next. His hand brushed her curls, then he looked up to see her watching him "This is our first time together," he said softly.

She nodded "The first." Her hand found his waistband then and she pulled the tie lose. He lifted his hips just a little and she tugged his pants and boxers off, letting them fall to the floor.

Her hand moved down the long smooth muscle of his hip. He closed his eyes savoring the sensation. This was happening; Scully was touching him, loving him. He rolled her to her back and began kissing her, tasting her, delighting in her secret places.. This was nothing like that other night; they were making love, not having sex. He buried his face in her neck and covered her with his body.

"God you feel so good," he murmured.

She purred and writhed beneath him "Mulder, I want to feel you inside of me."

He looked at her for a long moment "Yeah, I want that too." His eyes closed as her hand wrapped around his cock "Ca-careful, Scully."

"Oh I think you can handle it." She brushed his cock through her curls and the aroma of her arousal intoxicated him.

"Scully, please."

There was just a hint of a smile when she nodded.

Yes!. He entered her slowly, watching her eyes, locked on her eyes, giving her time to adjust. Her fingers gripped his shoulders and he moved deeper and deeper within her. She'd never felt so full, even the other - no, that never happened.

He began moving inside of her, withdrawing almost all the way, then easing back in. Her eyes were locked on his as well. Her hands cupped his butt, speeding up his thrusts; she needed it rougher, she wanted him to dominate her for a little while.

He seemed to realize that and complied with her unspoken request. Her fingers tightened and he felt her nails on his back. That excited him and he increased his pace. She was made for him; her body fit him like a glove One of her hands began teasing his nipples and he hissed at the overload.

How close was she?. He had to pleasure her this ... he had to pleasure her. He brought his fingers to her core and by instinct found that special place on the woman he loved.

Her eyes opened wider as her body responded to him. Her hands returned to his shoulder, gripping him as she spiraled out of control. His strong arms held her safe as she rode out her orgasm, gasping his name.

Now the look in her eyes told him everything he needed to know. She loved him, she was in love with him Together, they were together.

"Mulder," her body urged him on "Please."

She wanted him. He had no doubt now. He began moving again within her God she felt good and what she was doing to his body was even beyond his imagination. She tightened her hold of him, changing her angle slightly and now it was his eyes widening as he slammed into her. Then he was coming, his body out of control, actually under her control.

Her arms tightened around him, now giving him the safety he had given her While he lay helpless in her arms she smoothed back his hair and placed a soft kiss on his brow. No words were needed.

He caressed her face as she watched him. A feeling of peace, of finally finding each other, binding them together. Her arms went around him as he tucked her against him Together.

He woke before her and reveled in the feel of her against him ... loving him "Scully?" he whispered.

Her lips quirked before she opened her eyes. When she did, he was consumed by the look of love filling them "Yes, Agent Mulder?"

He pressed against her and her chuckle faded as his arousal grew. He wanted her. He wanted her as much as she wanted him. She let her hand caress his cheek.

"I love you, Scully."

Without warning, the feeling of freezing covered him. He realized her eyes had widened, but in slow motion again "M - u - l - d "


"But do you want to read them? Come on, it's Friday I'll be charming; I'll even let you pick the movie." He sent her a cajoling grin.

"Mulder - "

"Great! I can pick up the food on the way."

For some reason his enthusiasm felt good to her and she smiled. She hadn't felt like smiling in a long time. "No pizza, something with vegetables."

"Yes, ma'am." He smiled back at her.


Epilogue -

Lisa leaned back and closed her eyes in relief. It had worked. Conception had triggered their return.. The future had been changed. Should she tell them what she had done? She shook her head; they wouldn't believe her and of course she had no physical proof. She smiled then, except the child of course.. It had been conceived and it would save them.. It would save them all.

Read More Like This Write One Like This
Post-Col Childhoods
Pregnant Scully
These Lines Challenge
2012 & 2012 Revisited Challenges
Return to. The Nursery Files home