Title: Shattered Halcyon
Author: Cinnamon Scully
Written: July 2001
Classification: MSR, Mulder/Scully/Doggett friendship Doggett/other, Conspiracy, Angst
Disclaimer: I do not own these characters, except for the ones I have made up. Don't sue me.
Spoilers: Myth arc, Season 8

Archive: YES. Just ask me first.

Feedback: Please!!!!!

Summary: See part one of the series: Enter Mulder. This story follows Resist or Die.


Part One: Blinded by Rainbows

Five Years Later

"Andy! Get down from there right this minute!" Samantha yelled at her son as he tried to climb on the coffee table and knock down Doggett's files. She sighed. He was taunting her and she knew it.

Andrew John Doggett smiled his father's smile at his mother. He turned that stare that his father was so good at on his mother, as well. Samantha knew it wasn't to intimidate, but rather to make her laugh at how cute he was. It worked to her dismay.

Doggett came into the living room from the kitchen.

"Listen to your mother, buster."

Andy stuck his tongue out at his father. He quickly evaded being picked up. "What has gotten into you, you little imp?" Doggett asked, laughing.

"Nothing. I just wanted to be king of the world." The five-year-old spoke much more grown-up tones than other children his age.

"Can't you do that in your bedroom, on your bed perhaps?" Doggett sighed.

"No."

"I don't know what to tell you, Sam. He's got your brother in him, that's all," Doggett said, giving her a kiss. Samantha was expecting their second child now, and she knew that Andy might feel threatened as the baby came closer to being a reality.

"Is Jack coming over soon?" Andy begged. Little John had complained to his parents that he wanted a more grown up name and that he wanted to be different from his Uncle John.

"Uncle Fox and Aunt Dana said they would be joining us for dinner," Samantha patiently told her son.

"Oh. Is anyone else coming?"

"Yes. Alex and Jane. Janis and Walter. John, is there someone I'm missing?" Samantha asked.

"The Gunmen, Sam. Don't tell Frohike you forgot them or you'll break his heart."

"I know. How could I be so mean?" Samantha said.

"Andy, why don't you run along and get ready for all the guests to arrive?"

Andy did as he was told. Samantha looked up into Doggett's face. She said, "I'm so happy that after all the complications our son made it. You're right. A little bit of Fox did escape into him. You just need to teach him some Southern manners."

Doggett laughed. He gave her a kiss. "I suppose I might have to, won't I?" He gave her another kiss before the door broke it up. Mulder and Scully had arrived.

Doggett opened the door, finding Mulder and Scully standing on the other side. They had Little John, now called Jack, and his two younger sisters, Kathy and Teresa with them. Teresa was the elder of the two, and looked just like her Aunt Samantha, except for the green eyes that pinned others down when she was pleading. Kathy was just the exact copy of what Scully looked like as a little girl.

"I see the whole brigade is here," Doggett said, laughter escaping.

"Yeah. It was a hassle to get over here, but we managed it," Mulder said, hefting his two-year-old daughter on his shoulder. Scully's hand held their three-year-old daughter's hand.

They entered and Doggett shut the door. Jack asked, "Is Andy in his room, Uncle John?"

"Yes. Go on. He's expectin' you," Doggett said, smiling at the young boy who had his father's eyes, but his mother's hair.

Samantha came out of the kitchen, smiling. "Fox, you could make it, even with that whole bunch of monkeys."

"Yep. Just have to be firm with them, that's all," Mulder said.

Scully punched him in the arm. "You're the biggest marshmallow when it comes to your girls. The only person worse about his girl is Krycek. He spoils Alexa rotten."

"Are they on their way?" Doggett asked.

"Yeah. They called, saying they might run a bit late," Scully said.

"Alright."

Scully went into the kitchen with Samantha. The girls set to playing on the couch. Mulder and Doggett were talking while they waited for the Gunmen to show up and for Alex and Jane, as well as Skinner and Janis.

"Do you think Skin Man will ever ask Janis to marry him? I mean they have one child now, and he still hasn't asked her," Mulder said.

"I was wondering the same thing. I don't know why he hasn't asked her in all these years. It doesn't make any sense," Doggett said.

"Well, I wonder what's taking the Gunmen so long.

Usually they beat us here," Mulder said.

"Frohike said something about bringin' a girl," Doggett said, his amusement apparent in his voice.

"A girl? Are you sure, Dogg Man?"

"Yeah. A girl. Frohike said she's a babe and you know what that means. I'm glad I'm married. I don't have to look around anymore."

"I hear you on that. He tells me I'm soft," Mulder said.

"Nah, you're not soft. You're just happy. He's just jealous of ya," Doggett said laughing.

"You're right. I hope they hurry up. I want to meet this girl that actually thought going out with Frohike was a good idea."

A knock came to the door and Doggett got up to answer it. He said, "Just a minute. Will you keep these two under control?"

Mulder nodded, holding both of his little girls down while Doggett answered the door. Krycek and Jane stood on the other side with Alexa. Alexa looked just like her father, same eyes, same hair. She was very manipulative, usually using that against her father.

Krycek was soft to his daughter. She could twist him around her little finger with ease.

She bounded into the room, joining Teresa and Kathy in play. Krycek and Jane followed inside. Doggett said, "Good to see you here. Sam's in the kitchen with Scully, Jane."

Jane nodded. Before dinner, the men would talk in the living room usually, while the women would gather in the kitchen cooking. She made her way out to the kitchen after giving Krycek a kiss. "Don't get into too much trouble."

Krycek smiled, "I'll try not to. You know Alexa, she'll get me into bounds of trouble."

Mulder and Krycek sat down, Doggett following suit soon after. "Krycek, you are not going to believe this. I won't until I see it myself."

"What is it?" Krycek asked.

"Frohike is bringing a girl to dinner tonight," Mulder said.

"No way. Not Frohike. That's impossible." Krycek said laughing. "What woman in her right mind would date Frohike?"

"I don't know. That's what I'm waiting to find out.

She's got to be patient. I'm telling you that."

"Oh no. You know what this means. The Gunmen are going to be fighting constantly. Frohike was stolen from them by this girl. I can just hear the whole fight now." Krycek rolled his eyes. "I was looking forward to a nice quiet evening myself. Damn it, I hate when they argue the whole time."

Mulder laughed. "It's just the way they are. They tend to do that whole bickering thing because they don't want to reveal a secret that everyone already knows.

They love each other," Doggett said, "Yeah. They do love each other and all they do is try to cover that up. This should be interestin' at least. I'll enjoy seeing this supposed 'babe' of his. That's what he called her when he told me."

"Wait a minute. He told you first, Doggett?" Krycek asked.

"Yeah."

"Why you first?"

"I don't know. He was excited at the time when he told me that he was going to bring this girl."

"Any specifics on her?" Mulder asked.

"No. He just said that you'd have to wait and see her.

If he told, it might spoil the whole thing."

"Spoil the whole thing? We don't know what to expect, how can we possibly be spoiled by this whole thing?"

"I don't know, don't ask me. It doesn't make any sense to me either," Doggett said with a sigh. "I'm just dyin' of curiosity now. I want to see her, just so I know he wasn't kiddin' me."

"Yeah. I think that's the only reason any of us want to see her." Krycek said.

Suddenly a knock at the door came. Doggett got up, Krycek and Mulder following. The Gunmen stood on the other side, with a woman shorter than Frohike with long red hair and green eyes. She was wearing an Aerosmith T-shirt and a pair of jeans.

All three men on the inside gawked for a moment. They let them in and Mulder said, "Would you mind to introduce the lady here?" Frohike said with pride, "This is Audrey Morey."

Audrey outstretched her hand. "Wow, you're Fox Mulder."

Mulder smiled. "Yeah, so how did you meet Frohike here?"

"Online." No wonder the match fit. She said, "Actually we were discussing hacking the mainframe of the D.O.J. one night, and that's when I knew." Certainly a match made in heaven.

Mulder looked at Krycek and Doggett raised eyebrows.

Doggett said, "Welcome. The women are in the kitchen if you wanted to join them. Usually they talk before dinner and then we all talk the rest of the night."

"Nah. I don't want to hear all of the women's talk."

Mulder laughed at the idea of the women in the kitchen talking about boring women subjects.

"So, is there anything to drink. I'm thirsty." No wonder she liked Frohike.

Doggett said, "You might be surprised when you go in there."

"Why? Who's in there?" she asked, turning her eyes toward him.

"Just go and get something to drink and you'll see why," Doggett replied.

Frohike stayed out of it. He didn't want to ruin the surprise that he did know Samantha Mulder. Audrey believed that he knew Fox Mulder before coming, but didn't believe that he knew Samantha and that she had been returned.

Mulder asked after she went into the kitchen, "So, when did you two meet?"

"A couple of months ago."

"Yeah, and I don't like her," Langly said.

"Shut up Punk! Any ways, she and I hit it off online, and we set up a meeting shortly after that," Frohike said.

"Yeah, and now you never want to do anything with us anymore. It's always Audrey this and Audrey that."

Krycek rolled his eyes. "Jane! They're at it again!"

Jane peeked her head out from the kitchen. "You stay out there. You know the rules until dinner. Guys out there, girls in here."

Krycek sighed. He was stuck with listening to them bicker. It was obvious that Langly didn't like the woman. He sat down next to Doggett, as far away from the argument as possible.

Frohike said, "She's really nice, once you get to know her. She doesn't believe I know you guys."

"Oh? Why's that?"

"She just didn't think I'd know you people. That's all."

A surprised Audrey walked out. "She was making dinner with no hands. Everything moved on its own. Who is that?"

Doggett laughed. "Didn't she say her name?"

"Yeah. Samantha Mulder, now Samantha Doggett. That can't be her. I know that Fox Mulder's sister was taken by Them."

"Yeah, four times in the past five years. But not for long," Doggett said. He hated it when she had to go back. It didn't get easier each time either.

"No way."

Frohike sighed. "I tried to tell you."

Audrey was surprised. "How did you meet these people?"

"Back in 1989 I met Mulder. It's a long story. I'm sure Mulder wouldn't want to spend the evening swapping stories about the past."

"No, I agree with you there, Frohike," Mulder said.

Alexa ran past and Krycek yelled, "Don't run in the house!"

Alexa turned dark eyes pleading with him. It was all she needed to do to get her way with him. He sighed.

"Come sit on my lap, alright?"

She did as her father asked.

Another knock came to the door. Doggett once again got up, opening it up to let Skinner and Janis in. With them was their son, Timothy. He had his mother's hair, but his father's eyes.

Audrey looked up. She gasped, "That's A.D. Skinner!"

Frohike hushed her. "Hey Skin Man!"

Skinner rolled his eyes. He then did a double take.

"Frohike, is that a woman with you?"

"Yeah. Her name is Audrey."

Skinner nodded. "Janis, you better go join the wonderful women's party before it's too late. I know you wouldn't want to miss out on that."

Janis gave him a kiss before exiting to the kitchen.

"You behave."

"I will of course."

Timothy scampered off to find the boys. He didn't want to get stuck playing with Teresa and Kathy.

Alexa was asleep on her father's lap. Krycek smiled for a moment, before asking the big question, "When you going to ask her to marry you?"

"I don't know yet. I just don't know if that is what she wants," Skinner said.

"It's been five years. I think that's long enough.

Don't make it eight like Scully and me," Mulder said.

"I know, I know. I should ask her soon." Skinner knew it was the right thing to do, he just knew that she might feel a little confined, or at least he thought so.

Mulder said, "I'm going to check up on those girls.

They might be creating some mischief if I'm not careful."

Audrey watched the close-knit group and feeling in the room. She wondered what they were all about. Frohike refused to tell her anything about any of the work he did outside of hacking. She only knew he talked with MUFON from time to time.

Krycek said, "I don't know about you, but I think Jane and Scully have gotten far on that vaccine."

"Yeah. I know that Samantha checks up from time to time. She doesn't lately, trying to be careful for the baby," Doggett said.

"How many AHH born is that?"

"Three. She has this baby and that makes four," Doggett said.

"What does she think it will be?"

"She's hoping for a girl, but it doesn't really matter. As long as it survives is all that matters to her," Doggett said.

"So, any news on what the next D.C. MUFON meeting will be?" Langly asked.

"Not that I know of. I heard that Gibson will be there. You'll have to ask Sam on that one. She can tell you more than I can on that."

Mulder came back, carrying Kathy in his arms. He sat down. She was asleep. "So, do you think we'll ever eat?"

"I wouldn't go into Sam's kitchen if I were you," Doggett said.

Byers smiled. "I wonder why."

"Last time, she got mad at me. That's why you shouldn't go in there."

Mulder nodded. He held his littlest girl close to him.

He said, "I hope that those boys aren't getting into too much trouble."

Mulder got up, the hair rising on the back of his neck. He said softly to Doggett as he passed, "I think there is something wrong. Come with me."

Doggett got up, following Mulder into the hallway, making his way toward his son's bedroom. They heard silence and they knew that something was terribly wrong now.

Doggett took out his gun, while Mulder armed himself with a stiletto. They opened the door, seeing Timothy, Jack and no Andy. Doggett asked, "Where is Andy, Jack?"

"A man came through the window and froze us in our places. He told us to be quiet. He picked Andy up and took him with him out of the window."

Mulder cursed loudly then. He was angry. "Did the man say anything else?"

"No," Jack said.

Doggett stopped at the boy's words. "You have to be jivin' me. Tell me you're playin' a game."

Jack nodded his head no slowly. Doggett went into shock. It had happened all over again. His gun fell to the floor and he stared ahead blankly until Mulder tapped him. He jumped then.

"You okay, Dogg Man?" Mulder asked.

"It happened again. My son got abducted again. I can't do this a second time," Doggett said, unemotionally. "I can't lose Sam."

"What do you mean you'd lose Sam?" Mulder asked, his eyes narrowing to try and understand why Doggett would say something like that.

"My first wife left me because my son was abducted. I can't do this a second time, Mulduh," Doggett said. He picked his gun up, walking out into the living room.

He walked into the kitchen, even though most of the other men protested him going in the kitchen.

When he got in, he simply said, "They have Andy."

Samantha stopped what she was doing. All her stirring sticks stopped as if the life that had animated them had never been. She turned to face Doggett, "THEM?"

"ABH, yes. I don't know if it's to the ship," Doggett said.

Samantha made her way to Doggett. She looked into his pain filled eyes. "I'll locate him. You inform the group, okay?"

Doggett nodded. He looked guilty. He turned to Samantha before going back into the living room, "I'm sorry, Sam. I should have been payin' more attention."

"It's not your fault. Now we just have to fix what's going on," Samantha said, giving him a kiss. "Now, let's get going."

Doggett nodded. He sighed. The last five years had been very quiet and nice. He had enjoyed the quiet preparations of the Resistance. He hated the idea that the pain and suffering of the earlier years was back.

He found that Krycek had already jumped into action.

He said, "Doggett, I got Frohike connecting to MUFON to tell them. We have to alert all of the Resistance groups."

Doggett nodded. "We'll get him back, Doggett." Krycek said. Audrey watched as Doggett looked crumpled about the whole ordeal. He broke then. He picked up a book sending it through the air to smash into the wall. He was angry now. Samantha came to see him losing his temper.

She said, "John, things will be okay. We'll get him back. An ABH would tell us up front if this abduction was for the ship. I'm assuming our old friend Cancer Man is behind this."


"Hello, young man," Cancer Man said, a smile playing across his lips.

"What do you want with me?" Andy asked.

"I'll be letting you know that soon. I need information from you right now. Can I ask you a few questions?" Cancer Man asked, trying to fool the child into listening to him.

Andy didn't fall for the trick. He knew what Cancer Man was planning before he spoke. "Why don't you just test me like you want to?"

"Ah, you've got your mother in you I see." Cancer Man was amused.

Andy may have been five, but he could tell that this man was up to no good and that he was in a lot of danger. He tried to curb his fear that he was feeling.

"I have a lot of my father in me too."

"Oh? Is that so?" Cancer Man said.

Andy sighed, "You don't seem to be very bright."

Cancer Man laughed at the young boy. "Whatever makes you think that I'm not intelligent, young man?"

"You wasted your life on hurting others. That's stupid." Andy said in matter of fact manner.

Cancer Man tried to hide that it had struck a chord in him. He knew that in a way the boy was right about the whole ordeal. He said, "Test him."

Andy felt the ABH grab him from behind. He tried to protest. "You're no better than They are! You're evil!"

The ABH strapped him down to a table, similar to the one that Mulder had been put on after his brain activity nearly six years ago. He looked around afraid of what they might do to him.

Cancer Man looked into the boy's eyes. Fear was there, but so was the defiance he knew was in his mother and uncle. He knew that Andy Doggett was a lot more tough than most five-year-old boys.

Andy pulled the Black Oil over his mind, taking the pain away from whatever they might do, protecting himself. His mother had taught him that a long time ago. She thought he might need it some day for whatever reason that might come up.

Cancer Man watched with fascination as the boy's eyes clouded over with Black Oil. He smiled for only an instant. The ABH said, "He's worthless to you now. Unless you can duplicate exactly what we do in the ship, nothing will work now."

Cancer Man was angry now. He said, "You said all I had to do was abduct the boy! You lied!"

"I never had to tell you all the secrets of the A. H.

H. and what we instill in them. Though he has never been tested on, he has learned well from the best test subject there is."

Frohike and Langly started to argue. Audrey was helping out as much as she could, not knowing all that was going on. Langly said, "I can help you better with this, Frohike."

"Will you just let Audrey do this?" Frohike snapped.

Doggett was angry. "We're talking about my son here.

Either you stop fighting now, or I beat that fight out of you."

Frohike looked up into Doggett's face. He noticed that Doggett's eyes were blazing. Frohike nodded. He turned back to the computer, alerting the MUFON group.

Doggett sat down on the couch. He placed his head in his hands and sighed. He was unsure of what to do about this whole mess. It would kill him if Andy was dead when they found him. Or tortured. He hoped that the Cancer Man had the decency to not test a five year-old boy.

Samantha sat down next to him. She whispered, "It's him. I can't go in to save him. An ABH is standing guard over him. I'm so sorry, John."

"Why are you sorry? I could have made sure that he was safe and could've been payin' attention to him. I could have done somethin'. If it's anyone's fault, it's mine," Doggett said, never lifting his head from his hands.

Samantha sighed. She took Doggett into her arms. "I know you blame yourself for your first son's death. I know that there is a way to get Andy back. We'll find it."

Krycek said, "Now that MUFON knows we can get some AHH that can help out or anything. I'm sorry that monster had to take your son like this," Mulder said, "As long as we can get the boy back alive, things will be fine then," Skinner said, "I'll get you some leave and keep this story under wraps. I know that Kersh hasn't changed a bit in the last five years. We'll get your boy back, I promise."

Doggett leaned his head into Samantha's shoulder. His eyes were closed. He sighed, placing a hand on top of Samantha's over his shoulder. He said, "I don't want any false hope, but I'm not going to give up. That's what he would want me to do."


Cancer Man said, "There has to be some way for me to utilize this boy for my cause."

"I can't compromise the Colonization by giving out information about how we test our subjects and what we do to make them what they are," The ABH said without emotion.

"Why not? You could crush the Resistance with this small child." He looked down at the small boy. Andy Doggett was still. Cancer Man said, "I could sell this young child into testing in the ship."

"We can't test on a born A. H. H.. You can't alter them any further. The Black Oil is a part of them naturally. Any tampering would make him even more useless."

"You mean I wasted my time."

"No."

"I can't use the boy."

"Didn't you want Samantha Mulder's secrets?"

"Yes, but I can't get them unless I can torture the young boy," Cancer Man said, flicking some ashes off of his cigarette.

"You can just leave him in my hands, with me standing guard, Samantha is helpless. She comes into contact with me and I will have to abduct her."

Cancer Man's smile returned. "Just make sure you figure out what his strengths are and what his weaknesses are. I need to know these things so I can use them to my advantage."

The ABH nodded. He sat down next to the table with Andy lying on it. He watched as the Cancer Man walked out of the room. He looked at the young boy strapped down, seeing the film cover the boy's eyes.

He knew that he could not do anything with the boy.


Krycek said, "I think for right now, Doggett and Samantha should stay home and try to relax. Let the rest of us work on this. I think that you two will be too emotional to deal with this and that might be extremely bad for you."

Samantha nodded. "As long as someone is looking for our son, that is all that matters."

Krycek nodded. He said, "How about the rest of us get going and let these two be."

The rest of the group agreed. Scully hugged first Samantha. "It's going to be alright." She hugged Doggett. "Don't go blaming yourself. Things will work out."

Doggett gave her a weak smile.

Mulder said, "We'll get him back. Just sit tight."

The group exited the house. Silence enveloped the pair for a few minutes. Doggett finally let the flood gates open. He hugged Samantha to himself. He sobbed.

"John, it's going to be fine. We'll get him back."

"Promise me this, that you won't leave me."

"I wouldn't dream of leaving you, John. I couldn't do that," Samantha said, holding him close to herself.

She rocked back and forth for a moment.

"John, don't worry about your past so much. I'm not that woman who could leave a man like you," Samantha said in soothing tones. She lifted him up off her shoulder for a moment. She gave him a kiss. "You'll see. We'll get him back."

Doggett nodded. He gave her a smile. "You know how to make me feel so much better without even trying."

"Was it the words or the kiss?" Samantha said, smiling at him.

"Both, I guess," she said, "I think Alex is right. We should try to relax. There is nothing we can do right now and worry would get us no where anyway." She felt him wrap his arms around her.

"Yeah, I guess. I just can't help but worry about him with that evil man," Doggett said. "I hope he isn't testing our son."

"We're closer to shutting that horrible practice down.

I got the MUFON group to rally behind me, after victims of that stepped forward."

"Yeah. I just want Andy back, even though he is a major trouble maker. We get him back and we might be able to put the final nail in the coffin for humans testing humans," Doggett said, holding her close to him.

The battle that had been more relaxed became all that harder again. They would face peril, but they would be facing it together and that was what mattered in the first place.

Later that night, Samantha lay awake next to an exhausted Doggett. She was very upset about the loss of her son to that man. She only hoped that they would find her son alive.

She looked over to Doggett's peaceful face. She was worried about his concern that she would leave him.

She sighed. She couldn't leave him. He was the only man who would stay with her through all of her abductions.

She was afraid now for the child she carried. She didn't want to lose this child. It would cripple Doggett if she should. She sighed, looking at him with love. She could only love him, even if he was afraid of other wise.

She rubbed her belly, feeling the life growing inside of her. It always amazed her how life could grow inside of her for all those months and become a person. She sighed again.

Doggett woke, asking, "Something the matter? Any news on Andy?"

She wished his eyes weren't so guilty over the whole ordeal. She said, "No news. I was just thinking about all of the things going on."

"Oh," he said, "It's my fault, isn't it?"

"No, John. It's not your fault. Don't go blaming yourself anymore about this. Blame Cancer Man. He did this to us."

He sighed. "I know. I just feel that if I had been payin' attention our boy would still be here with us safe and sound."

"We'll get him back, don't worry." She gasped suddenly. She looked at him with pain filled eyes. "John, the baby!"

Did you ever touch the night
Did you ever count the cost
Do you hide away the fear
Put down paradise as lost

(Jagger/Richards)

Doggett looked at her dumbfounded for a moment. "Are you sure?"

Samantha nodded. "It's too early! It's too early for me to be having a baby," she cried out in pain.

Doggett leapt into action. He got dressed quickly, lifting Samantha up from the bed. He carried her outside, noticing the blood on her nightgown. He swore under his breath. He placed her in the front seat and got into the driver's seat.


He drove down the street, fears piercing him as much as her screams of pain. She was too afraid to let the Black Oil in her blood take over. He floored it, trying to rush there.

When they arrived to the hospital, Doggett screamed at an Emergency room worker. "My wife is having problems with her pregnancy. I need help!"

The Emergency worker took Samantha's appearance into account. He lead her slowly to the ER and let a doctor look at her. He looked at Doggett with remorse in his eyes. He knew that there was no hope for the child that Samantha carried.

Doggett rushed into the ER, to only be forced out of the room. Samantha screamed again. She was in so much pain and was so fearful of what could happen.

The doctor said, "I need you to put her under and now!"

Another ER doctor put her under so they could take the baby from her. They had no choice, if they didn't remove the baby, Samantha would die.

Doggett watched as the doctors worked through a small window in the glass. He worried that something was terribly wrong and this time it wasn't doctor that was taking a child because they were ordered to, but rather because they had to.

He watched until a nurse escorted him to a waiting area. The nurse knew what was going on. She knew that if he continued to watch, he would be very upset.

He sat down and the nurse got him some coffee. Doggett sat waiting to hear the news on his child. He feared for the worst while hoping for the best. The worst unfortunately would be the outcome.

The doctor that was operating on Samantha finally came out. "Your wife will be fine, but I'm sorry to tell you this, sir, your daughter could not make it. We could not save the child."

Doggett nodded. Shock took over body yet again. He had lost his son, now the daughter that never had a chance to live in the first place. He asked softly, "When can I go and see her?"

"In an hour or so, sir. She'll be groggy, but she'll need lots of comfort and support. Are you sure you'll be fine?"

Doggett nodded. He only wanted the man to leave him alone. He took out his cell phone. He called Mulder, "Mulduh, I have bad news."

"Did you get something from Cancer Man?"

"No. Sam's pregnancy, she miscarried," Doggett said it softly.

"I'm so sorry. How is she holding up?"

"She's not awake yet."

"I'll send Scully to see you so that you two have emotional support. Krycek and I are on the search for your son."

"Thanks." Doggett hung up, pocketing the phone. He sighed. This had been a terrible day indeed. First Andy is abducted, now Sam miscarried. He didn't blame her for what had happened with the baby. He couldn't blame her. It happened, now he had to help her through her pain.

A doctor lead him to where she was still unconscious, putting a cot next to her bed. He hated hospitals so much. Much of their early relationship had been spent in a hospital, one in one place or the other. It was an all too familiar place he found himself in.

He took her hand into his, holding it to try and reassure her still form. He was sure that she would be devastated by the miscarriage. He knew that she would blame herself, much as he blamed himself for Andy's abduction.

He looked at her face. It was peaceful, but he knew that wasn't for very long. It made him break then. He pulled his chair up closer to her. He laid his head down on her bed, wrapping his arms around her shoulders. Sobs took over his body. He had suffered a death of yet another child, while another one may be hanging in the balance. It was a place he wished he was not in.


While Krycek and Mulder were looking for a way to rescue Andy Doggett, Jane stayed home with Alexa. She was playing a game with Alexa, trying to curb the fear in her gut that something might go wrong.

Alexa was curious as to why her father was not home playing this game with her. Her best ploys to make him do as she wished had failed. She was a little frustrated with that. Her daddy never denied her wish.

Jane looked at her daughter, letting a smile escape.

Alexa looked positively angry about her father denying her wish. She had that same gleam in her eyes that Krycek had often.

A knock came to the door and Jane opened it. She found an unpleasant surprise waiting for her on the other side. She couldn't shut the door in time.

Marita stood on the other side, pushing her way through the door way to enter the house. She said, "I bet you didn't expect to see me again, now did you?"

Jane sighed. She really didn't want to get involved with this woman. She said, "What is it you exactly want. If you wanted to make Alex angry, he's not here right now. He's angry enough as it is."

"Oh? Are you displeasing to him?" Marita said, trying to make a stab at the woman who had won the contest of who would win Alex Krycek.

"Certainly not. He's mad about the abduction of Andy Doggett," Jane said. She knew that the woman wanted to make her angry. It would fail.

Marita saw Alexa standing behind her mother. Her dark eyes regarded Marita with wide wonder. She kept silent, not wanting to upset her mother as this woman had obviously done.

"Who is the little girl?"

"Our daughter. You can't touch her," Jane said, anger boiling in her veins.

"What makes you so sure?" Marita asked. She said, "Why don't you come out and let me see you?"

Alexa stayed where she was. Marita grew frustrated.

She would have this little girl. She suddenly attacked, hitting Jane across the face, rendering her shocked.

While Jane recovered, Marita grabbed Alexa. Alexa tried to fight back. She tried to bite the woman who was holding her captive, but it didn't work.

Marita shouted to Jane, "Now who has the upper hand?"


Marita managed to make it to the car, the girl fighting her the whole way. She smiled. The girl certainly had her father's survival instincts. She shoved the young girl into the back seat and drove away.

She would alert Krycek that she had Alexa. It was the perfect way to get him to be with her. He would stir up his old emotions and understand where he truly belonged. She turned to smile at the young girl.

Alexa glared at the woman. She was angry about her daddy not playing with her, now this mean woman had to take her away. She wasn't afraid, at least not yet.

She knew that she was in some type of danger, but knew some how deep down that her daddy would save her.

Marita asked, trying to honey her voice for the child, "What is your name, sweetie?"

"Why do you want me?" Alexa simply asked.

"I just want to make sure you are safe."

"You're lying." The child could tell that the adult was lying simply by the way she had made her voice so sugar coated. None of the other adults she knew ever did that to her.

"I just want to know your name, dear."

"Alexa." Alexa decided that she couldn't do anything about the crazy woman who held her captive now. She looked at Marita with the same eyes of her father.

Marita said, "Alexa, that is a good name."

"Are you that crazy lady that Daddy warned me about?" Alexa asked suddenly.

"Is that what your father calls me?" Marita wasn't too upset, but she was getting irritated.

"He told me once that there was a crazy lady, I think you're that lady," Alexa said innocently.

Marita pulled up to the lab where they held Andy Doggett. She yanked the child out of the car. "Now that you're with me, you'll be respectful. Understood?"

Alexa appeased her by nodding her head. She meant to defy the woman. Her smile gave that away. "You know, my daddy doesn't love you, right?"

That made Marita angry. She pulled the child behind her into the building. She would make this girl pay for her comment. She walked into Cancer Man's office.

"I've got Alex's little girl."

Cancer Man looked at Alexa. Alexa gave him a defiant look. "She looks just like her father. Got his attitude as well."

"That's not the point. I want you to test the brat."

"A three-year-old girl? Marita, I may be cruel, but I refuse to test a human girl that has no significance to the Project. Holding her hostage will be enough to get Alex to react," Cancer Man said, flicking ashes into an ashtray on his desk.

Marita said, "Fine, I'll do it myself."

"I think not. The child is now mine. You will not test her," Cancer Man said.

Marita stomped her foot. "You fool! You stupid, stupid fool!" She stomped out of the room, leaving an amused Cancer Man.

Cancer Man turned toward Alexa. "What is your name, little girl?"

"Alexa. Are you that evil man daddy talks about all the time?"

Cancer Man laughed at her. "Yes, why that is who I am."


Scully arrived to the hospital, to find Samantha asleep and Doggett dozing in the chair next to the bed. He jumped when she entered the room. She said, "I didn't mean to startle you."

"It's alright." He sounded exhausted and hopeless.

Scully sat down next to him in another chair. She took his hand into hers, giving it a squeeze. "Things will get better, John."

Doggett looked at Samantha. He smoothed a strand of hair from her face, sighing. He turned back to her. "I lost another child tonight. I don't know if things will get better. Another child of mine is being held captive by a crazy man who likes to play frickin' God."

Scully knew how he felt in this matter. Emily had been similar in a way. Though she hadn't watched Emily grow, when Emily's death came and she had to admit defeat, it ripped her heart out. "I know John. We'll get Andy back."

"I wish I could believe that. I've been here before.

I've seen my son taken from me, just so I can find out that his captor has brutally defiled him." He was grieving and it made him angry that this had to happen.

Scully said, "I know how you feel."

"How can you possibly know what it feels like?" He wasn't thinking rationally. Scully could see this.

"Emily. I lost Emily to the same men. They had tested her all her life. She was supposed to be a mistake, a life that was not meant to be. Andy is not that, he has a future and we'll make sure he does."

Doggett apologized. "I'm sorry for accusin' you of not knowing what it is like. I guess you do know. I just can't believe I have to do this again. On top of it, the baby I was looking forward to raising didn't make it. A daughter, I've always wanted a daughter."

"Don't apologize to me. It is not your fault that any of this has happened. I know it will be difficult for Samantha when she wakes. I know it's difficult for the both of you. I'm so terribly sorry that this had to happen. If Krycek had had his way that Cancer Man would have been dead ages ago."

"I don't care if that worthless old man lives or dies, Dana. I only want my boy back safe and sound. I only want my family back. We had so much peace for all that time, building a stronger Resistance. I hated it when Samantha left, but at least I knew she would be back.

I can't take it anymore," he started to sob, his breaking point reached. The last 12 hours had been difficult.

Scully took his tired form into her arms. "It's going to get better. Just be patient. Good things come to those who believe. God will make things right."


Audrey sat at home, in Frohike and her room. She sat on the bed, barefoot, painting her nails. "Frohike, what is going on?"

"Let's just say that someone got to Samantha Mulder and John Doggett's boy. That might be deadly for the Cancer Man."

"Who is Cancer Man?" Audrey wondered.

"He's a man who is the only member left of what is known as the Syndicate. It's a long story, but the short of it is that this man has been after Samantha for quite some time," Frohike said, sitting down next to her.

"I don't understand. Why all of the sudden did he make this move?" Audrey asked. She moved her foot off the bed, starting to paint the other foot.

"We don't know. That's all we know is that he made this move. Other than that, I can't tell you much more." Frohike sighed. "Do you have to paint those things with that smelly stuff?"

"But isn't it pretty?" Audrey asked. She showed him one of her feet.

"Yeah, I guess. Why does it have to stink like that?"

"I don't know. It just does. Don't ask me," Audrey said.

Frohike said, "Any ways, I hope things will work themselves out in the end."

Audrey nodded her agreement. "I do too. I met them just a while ago, but I feel so bad for them."

"They do have that quality about them, don't they."

Frohike smiled at her.

"What was the big deal about you being with a girl, anyway?" Audrey finished painting her toes.

"They didn't think I'd ever find anyone. I didn't know if I'd ever find anyone either for awhile."

Audrey giggled. "But who could resist you?"

"I have a list, if you'd like to see it," Frohike said, smiling at her.

"I'm sure you do. My height always made guys not want to date me. I was too short," Audrey said.

"Too short? Those morons," Frohike grumbled.

"Hey, but that's when you come in. They didn't like me, but you do."

"Well, that's one of my jobs, Pretty Lady." Frohike scooted closer to her.

"I know it's one of your jobs." She leaned in, kissing him. "I can't sit on my feet for awhile. I hate that."

Frohike laughed. "No tickling then?"

"No tickling." She laughed at him.

"That's disappointing."


Yeah you're blinded by rainbows
Watching the wind blow
Blinded by rainbows
Do you dream at night
Do you sleep at night
I doubt it

(Jagger, Richards)

The next morning, Doggett was staring straight ahead.

He never went to actual sleep ever since it happened the night before. He was too upset to even think of sleep.

Scully sat not far from him, wondering if he would be okay. She worried that he might be in too much shock.

She was ready if anything had to be done.

Doggett's mind was racing, though he was tired. It was going over everything that had happened in the past day and a half. Though tired, it was as if he went into hyper activity while he thought.

He was sitting next to Samantha's bed, waiting for her to wake. He held her hand in his, to at least comfort himself that she was really there. He was feeling guilty for all that had happened, though he knew it was out of his control.

He thought of Scully's comment that said that God would make things all better, to those who believe. He was wondering if this time things would work out. He and Samantha fit each other better than his first wife had. It was obvious that God had gotten involved there.

He thought about asking Scully about it, but decided being silent about it for the moment being the better plan. He knew that things were becoming more and more complicated and a lot of suffering would happen, but he hoped in the end things would work out for the best.

Samantha woke suddenly. She asked in a daze, "John?"

Doggett took her hand, kissing it. "Sam, I'm here."

"Where am I? Is the baby okay?" Samantha didn't remember the night before. She saw the pain in Doggett's eyes. She worried then. She asked quietly, "Is there something I should know?"


Part Two: Taking Chances

Skinner left the Gunmen's place, to head to talk to this Melanie person with Janis. He knew that Doggett had been going non stop for the past two days. When they arrived, Skinner let himself in.

He saw Doggett asleep on the couch, sitting up, as if he had dozed off. He jumped when the door opened.

"Sorry, Skinner. I must have dozed off."

Skinner looked at Doggett's worn face. He hadn't shaved in a day or two, and the stubble was showing.

He looked as if he was ready to drop. Skinner looked at Janis. Janis was already talking with Melanie in a corner off to the side.

Skinner approached Doggett. He said, "I'm so sorry about all that has happened in the past few days. Why don't you get some sleep. It'll do you some good. You look extremely exhausted."

"I am. I haven't really slept in a few days here. I keep going on for Samantha, and because something new keeps coming up it seems," Doggett said, yawning and rubbing his eyes.

"I can see that. So, Melanie showed up out of the blue, did she?"

"Yeah, you can say that. I think if I go to bed now, I'll sleep until I'm 95. I've had a very very long past two days." He looked down at the floor for a moment.

Skinner sighed. "Yeah. Poor Mulder and Scully. To have that cancer come out of remission like it did is awful for them. It's going to be a long road for them."

"Yeah. I know that for sure. Hey, we'll get a cure for her in no time. It won't be too hard, I hope," Doggett said, another yawn escaping. "Excuse me, Sir."

"Hey, you need sleep. Speaking of which, why don't you go upstairs and do that right now?" Doggett said, "I'm too tired to drag my tired ass up the stairs."

Skinner laughed. "I bet. Just get going."

Doggett gave him a smile before getting up to go to bed. He said, "Good night, Melanie. I need to sleep."

Melanie smiled at him, and let him go to bed. She was talking with Janis, and seemed to be engrossed in the conversation.

Doggett crawled into his bed, lying down, sighing. He was so tired, that just as he hit the bed, and his head hit the pillow, the sweet oblivion of sleep had taken him. He was unaware of anything going on around him.

Samantha was released from the hospital, and now she only wanted to go home and see Doggett. She stopped on the way to see what the Gunmen were up to, thinking that Andy should be in on her surprise.

She smiled when she saw the group run out to greet her. She said, "Frohike, I'm going to take a child out of your hands. Andy should be at home with his parents. I'm on my way there no."

Frohike said, "So are we. We have something to tell Melanie. I'll leave you to be with Doggett, but we have to tell her what we know."

Samantha nodded. She said, "I'll get my ride with you then. Are you stuffing all these kids into the van then?"

"Yep. Don't worry, Byers is the one driving," Frohike said.

Samantha laughed. She said, "Alright. It's okay then. Let's get going."

They herded the children into the van, and climbed in themselves. Andy smiled at his mother. He climbed into her lap, falling back to sleep. Samantha knew it wasn't the safest, but it would have to do. She would have to talk to them about getting a new vehicle.

When they arrived to Doggett's place, they shuffled all the children into the house. Melanie looked up to see Samantha holding Andy. She saw the gaggle of children behind Samantha. She knew that not all of them were Samantha's. There was an awful lot of them.

Byers smiled at her, nodded his head at her. He walked towards her. "We have the information in from MUFON."

Samantha saw what was going on before her. She smiled.

At least Melanie wasn't going to try and win Doggett back from her, as if she had to worry in the first place. She excused herself quietly, taking Andy with her.

When she got upstairs, she took Andy with her, to their bedroom. She found Doggett passed out on the bed. He was asleep, on his stomach, his arm hanging over the edge of the bed.

She put a finger up to her lips, telling her son to be silent. Samantha got on the floor, and tickled Doggett with her fingers running over his face. He shook his head, rolling over. That made her smile, and Andy almost giggle.

She whispered in Doggett's ear, "John, it's Melanie."

Doggett jumped. He rolled his eyes, falling back on the bed. "Don't do that. You scared the crap out of me."

Samantha laughed. She kissed him, making him forget her cruel practical joke. She saw Andy standing behind her. "Wasn't that fun?"

Andy nodded. "Very."

That morning, the results came in on the AHH blood running against Scully's cancer blood. None had managed to do the miracle it had for Doggett and Jane, and a numerous others who needed this healing power.

Krycek cursed in Russian, when all results came out negative. He was very very upset about this. Jane knew that he was upset because he wanted to make sure things went well for Mulder and Scully, that guilt streak still in him.

Krycek turned angry eyes to Jane. "I'm going to have to tell Mulder that we cannot save Scully. Do you realize that will kill him? He'll watch her die, and he'll die with her."

Jane hugged him. "We can't give up hope just yet.

There has to be something out there that can save her life. Don't give up hope yet, never give up on a miracle, Alex."

Krycek sighed. "I better tell them. I don't want them to think we have a cure ready to go for them. I don't want them to be in the dark about this."

Jane nodded. "Tell them, but please, please tell them not to give up hope on this matter. It would just destroy both of them if they felt as if there was no hope to be had."

Krycek nodded. He kissed her. "Wish me luck."

She watched him walk into the hospital room. She hoped that the news wouldn't devastate Mulder too badly.

Scully for that matter too. She knew how Scully would feel, having been there herself. She was sure that things would be okay if they just kept searching for a cure.

Krycek walked up to Mulder's cot. He kneeled down before him, tapping him on the shoulder. Mulder woke up looking at him for a moment. He yawned.

Krycek said, "Got some bad news. That snag I told you about earlier. We ran into it."

Mulder sat up. He asked, "How long?"

"I'd say six months to a year. Maybe a bit longer or shorter, give or take. I wish we could do something for you. I'm so sorry to have to tell you this. We might find something still. Don't give up just yet. I just don't want you in the dark, and I don't want you to get your hopes up. She may die, she may not."

Mulder nodded. He sighed, closing his eyes. He opened them again. "If she goes, I go with her, you know that, don't you?"

Krycek nodded. "Yes. I know you would go with her to the other side. Just don't give up yet." He put his hand on Mulder's shoulder.

Mulder looked at Scully's sleeping form. He saw how beautiful she looked. She looked innocent, young. Why she might be fading away from him, he didn't understand. He wanted a reason why he might face losing her again. Those Alien Bastards just had to ruin human life. They couldn't let humans be. It made him angry.

Krycek knew he was suffering. He said, "Mulder, we'll stick with you through this. We will."

"I can't, I have three children, I have a family. My whole life all I've ever wanted is a family. A family that I can love and be with and, and hell be normal with. Why when things go well do I end up losing it all? What is wrong with me being happy?"

Krycek said, "I don't know. We'll find something. I promise you. I will find a way to save her. We all will."

Mulder turned pained eyes to Krycek. "It better be fast. I can't face losing her again."

Krycek got up, leaving him to his pain. He knew that Mulder would need this time alone. He exited into the hall, to let himself think over all the information he had in his mind.

Mulder watched him leave, and turned to Scully's sleeping form. He took her hand, sighing. Scully woke to look into his pained face. She whispered, "Things will be fine, Mulder."

Mulder shook his head. "They can't cure you, Scully. They can't. You have six months to a year to live," he said the last part softly, knowing it was bad enough to hear in the first place, not only for her but for him as well.

Scully looked at him with fear in her eyes. "What about my babies? What will become of you and them?"

Mulder shook his head. "I don't know, Scully. I just don't know." He hung his head low for a moment. "I just want this to be over, I want you to be safe, healthy, happy, having that bowl of ice cream you wanted before coming here. I wish I knew a lot more than I do now."

Scully outstretched her arm to touch his hand. She said, "You told me once that I should never give up on a miracle. Remember?" She looked into his eyes. "I'm asking you to do the same thing now. Oh Mulder, I have faced this alone once. I don't have to face it alone this time. I don't have to look into Death's face by myself, and know that I will die alone with no one to love me as I pass to the other side. I have you."

Mulder looked into Scully's face. He saw how much she loved him, saw how much she trusted him. She had tears in her eyes, her pain evident on her face, the pain of leaving him behind on her face. He took her hand. "You shouldn't have to face Death at all. I shouldn't have to watch you die. I can't bear to lose you, I can't bear to let you go."

Scully turned her face away from him. She said, still looking away from him, "Mulder, I want you to promise me something, Mulder."

"Anything, Scully." Mulder wondered what it was.

She turned towards him, her cheeks stained with tears.

"Promise me that if I die you won't take your own life, that you'll live for our children. That you'll teach them how wonderful their mother was."

Mulder felt himself start to cry. He nodded his head yes in response, unable to speak for a moment. "I promise, Scully. I promise that if you should die, that I will stay with the children. Oh God, Scully, please don't leave me. Please don't."

Scully took his hand. "I won't ever leave you. Even if I should die, Mulder, I am right here in your heart. I am right here with you always."

Doggett looked playfully at Samantha and Andy. "Not funny for very long, you two." He grabbed Samantha, pulling her to him. "I'm going to make sure you pay for that."

He tickled Samantha, making her try to get away from him. She squealed in mock terror, trying to make him stop. Doggett said, "Next time, you won't be so mean, now will you?"

Andy giggled, watching his father make his mother squirm. He said, "Dad, you're going to make her laugh too hard," Doggett said, "You're next, buster."

"I am not! You're going to have to find me first!" Andy said, cloaking.

"Damn. Gets me every time. That's cheatin'!" Doggett said. He laid down laughing. "I want to sleep. I need that if anything."

Samantha smiled. "Yeah. That is something we do need.

I need sleep, you need sleep, and even though he's hyper now, Andy needs sleep."

Doggett smiled. "Yeah. He does. If he doesn't, he'll be crabby, really crabby later on." Doggett pulled Samantha to him, holding her close.

Andy decloaked himself. "I don't want to sleep in my room yet. It's scary."

Doggett said, "Alright. Just don't go playing games, do you hear me?"

Andy nodded. Andy climbed into the bed, snuggling up to his mother. He sighed. "I'm happy that you're home, Mother. I didn't like you being in the hospital."

"I didn't like being in the hospital. Now, let's get some sleep. We all need it." She wrapped her arms around Andy, Doggett having already wrapped his arms around her.

She smiled at Andy, as he drifted off to sleep. "I'm glad we're all back together as a family." She had talked to herself. Doggett was already asleep, exhaustion having taken over his body.

Melanie listened to Byers explain to her what the MUFON group had gathered for information. She wanted to know what this was all about. She watched Byers speak, learning what was going on by watching.

Byers seemed to have forgotten there were other people involved. He spoke to Melanie, as if she was the only person in the room. He explained the Resistance to her, filling her in on what the group had done through out the years.

Langly noticed that Byers was paying a lot of attention to Melanie. He felt as if the Lone Gunmen were no longer the group it once was. It was no longer just the three of them. Audrey had already pushed her way into the group, now it looked like this Melanie was getting to Byers.

When Byers had finished telling her the information, he sat down, amongst all of the children. Melanie asked, "Alright, who is who's?"

"The red haired boy, that's Mulder and Scully's. The red haired little girl and the dark haired little girl that looks like Samantha, that's also Mulder and Scully's. The dark haired girl with dark eyes, that is Jane and Krycek's. The dark haired little boy is Skinner and Janis's. And you already met Andy, who I am sure is with his parents upstairs."

Melanie laughed. "It is quite a crowd." She sat down where there was available space. "So, you met John through Mulder and Scully?"

"Yeah. Actually John showed up asking us for help on a case through Scully. That was before we found Mulder."

"Why do they still refer to their last names?"

"They always have. I don't think Mulder wants to be known as Fox anyway. It is something that goes back to his sister," Byers said, quietly.

"I see. Samantha hasn't had it easy," Melanie said.

"No, no she hasn't. We're just glad that she found John when she did," Byers said. He apologized a moment later, "I'm sorry. I know you were married to him."

"No, no. I conceded a while ago. I couldn't win now if I tried," Melanie said.

Frohike was watching the scene with Langly. Langly grumbled, "Not him too. You get a girl, and now he's got one."

"Quit your whining," Frohike said.

Byers voice could be heard saying, "Would you like to go to get some coffee sometime?"

Melanie was surprised by Byers question. She knew she would be delighted to go out to coffee with Byers. "I would love to."

Byers smiled shyly at her. "Tomorrow morning?"

"Sounds good to me," Melanie said.

The phone rang in the house. Skinner grabbed it before anyone could get it, or for it to wake the Doggett family. Skinner said, "Doggett Residence."

Everyone stopped talking, to see who was calling.

Skinner was talking about Mulder and Scully, so it had to be Krycek. He looked as if he had gone pale for a moment. When he hung up, he simply said, "Scully has six months to a year to live. We need to find a cure and fast people. The AHH blood couldn't save her."

The room fell under a hush. Janis said, "Alright, this means what ever means we have had in the past to find anything must be drug up. Think hard, very very hard people to what we know and what we don't know. There has to be something we can find to save Scully here."

Frohike asked, "Did he tell you anything more about why it won't save Scully?"

Skinner shook his head. "No, no he didn't. He just told me her Timespan. I want everyone to clean their minds out of any bit of information, like Janis said that we can use to find out why and how this happened, and how we can fix it."

Langly asked, "Should we wake Doggett upstairs?"

"No. They need to sleep, and if they don't, they won't be any good to us," Skinner said. He sighed. "This couldn't have come at a worse time."

Melanie looked lost. She wondered what was going on, and why they couldn't cure Scully like they had before. She asked, "Is there anyone in the past that might heal her?"

The room was silent for a moment. Frohike said, "I don't know about you, but we might not be looking for a someTHING, but rather a someONE."

Skinner shook his head in agreement. "We just might be looking for a someone. I don't know where to start, or how to accomplish it, but we have to try and get a hold of him."

"Who are you talking about, Walter?" Janis asked.

"Jeremiah Smith. I think if we find him we can heal Scully. She just might be saved by him. Now there will be tricky parts along the way, not just with finding him, I'm sure. Let's just take a break. We should consult with Samantha before we start that search."

Everyone shook their heads in agreement. They would need to sit back for a while, before tackling it.

Everyone needed a breather if anything.

Skinner said, "Janis and I are going to take Timothy home with us. I'd assume that Mulder's children will stay here, as well as Alexa."

"That's fine. I don't think moving them again would be a good idea," Audrey said. "They're already grumpy, and Langly is bad enough. I don't need a bunch of kids being crabby with him."

Langly glared at Audrey. He was very upset about the fact that both Frohike, and now Byers were getting involved with women. He felt a little betrayed by the whole thing.

After Skinner and Janis left, the Gunmen and Melanie sat back for a moment. Frohike sighed. "It's been one hell of a roller coaster ride, wouldn't you say?"

Audrey nodded her head. She gave him a hug. "I just want to go home and sleep and wake up to find this is all a nightmare. Do you know if Doggett keeps any snack foods here?"

Langly laughed. "Of course he does. We come over at least once a week, don't we? Of course he has to keep stocked up."

Audrey stuck her tongue out at him. "Shut up, Punk."

She borrowed Frohike's line. She walked towards the kitchen, to ransack what she could out of it.

Melanie watched Audrey. She wondered what she saw in Frohike. There had to be something. She was still sitting next to Byers. She saw him roll his eyes.

Langly said, "Tell your woman to be nicer to me." He was crabby, and now on top of it, Byers was now interested in someone, and going to go out on a date with her.

"Why don't you just shut up, Punk ass," Frohike said.

He was getting tired of arguing.

Byers stood up. "Will you two try to keep it down. We have sleeping children and an overly tired family upstairs."

Frohike and Langly stopped fighting for a few moments.

Langly turned to Byers, "Who asked you any ways?"

"What is the matter, Langly?" Byers asked quietly.

"Nothing. I don't want to talk about it." He turned around.

Frohike said, "He's mad about us having women and he not having one."

Langly turned around. "It's more than that, but you never want to hear what I have to say."

Byers flushed at Frohike's statement. He felt embarrassed by it being said in front of Melanie.

"Frohike, I wouldn't say I have have a woman, don't be so rude."

Melanie wondered what the fight was about. Langly said, "Listen, if you don't want to hear it, fine. I just won't talk to you for awhile."

Frohike sighed. "Stop, Langly. I want to know what it is."

"Ever since Audrey showed up, we've been divided. The Lone Gunmen aren't the Lone Gunmen anymore. We're the Gunmen with Audrey. Now we might end up being the Gunmen with Audrey and Melanie. I feel as if we're drifting apart, and I hate it," Langly said, still not facing them.

Frohike asked softly, "Is that all?"

"Yeah."

Frohike sighed. "Langly, just because I date Audrey doesn't mean I'm not your friend. We've been friends for over 15 years now. I can't just give that up. I'm sure that whatever happens with Byers and Melanie won't change that friendship you have with him either."

Langly turned around. "Do you mean that? I'm the odd one out here. I don't have a girlfriend. I am the one that might be cut out if I'm not careful."

"Where would we get the kung fu we need if you weren't here?" Frohike said, putting a gloved hand on Langly's shoulder.

"Yeah, I guess you're right. I'll try to be nicer to Audrey under only one condition."

"What is it?"

"That she tries to be nice to me," Langly said.

Audrey came out of the kitchen. "Hey Mel, got what you like. I thought you'd want some chicken. Langly, I found something for you too."

Langly smiled then. "Thanks. It better be good. Can I trust it?"

"Yeah, you dolt."

Byers whispered to Melanie, "Want to leave for awhile? I hate to impede on John like those three. They make a bee line for his kitchen every week. They even have Audrey subvert the women in the kitchen, men in the living room rule for snacks before supper."

Melanie smiled. "I'd love to. I'd hate to be here when John wakes to a racket those three might make, just looking at them. He can be a bear when he's woken for no reason."

Byers said, "Melanie and I are going to get some coffee. Don't be overly loud while we're gone."

They all nodded their heads, returning to their conversation. Melanie shook her head, she couldn't believe the strange people she found herself amongst all of the sudden.

When they got outside, Byers said, "Sorry I don't have much more than the van to take us to coffee in. I'd have us ride in a better vehicle, except we don't have one."

Melanie said, "Don't apologize. It's fine."

Byers gave her a shy smile. He was unsure of what he was doing. He walked up to the van, finding it for once full of gas. He got into the driver's seat.

Melanie got into the passenger seat next to him. She wondered why Byers was with the group. She was about to ask, but decided against it.

When they arrived to where they were going for coffee, Byers said, "So, now that you've seen the most bizarre of us, what do you think?"

"I don't really know. It is so much to soak up in one time. I can't tell you what I think about this."

Melanie said, looking down at her hands. She was unsure of what to do.

Byers said, "Let's get that coffee."

They entered the shop, sitting down at a small table in the back. She saw how shy he was. He was sitting down quietly, looking any where but her. It seemed as if he hadn't been on a date in years.

She smiled at him. "John." It felt odd calling another man that. "Why did you get involved with those two?"

"Government cover ups. I don't agree with how the government hides things. Neither do they," Byers said.

She nodded. "I don't remember much about being held by what you guys referred to as the Cancer Man, but I do know that I don't like what they did to me while I was there."

"We'll find a way to stop them. No one should ever have to go through something like that. That's one of the reasons I work with Frohike and Langly. They believe the same thing I do. Stop the government that is against the American Dream," Byers said softly.

Melanie wondered what he thought of her. She wanted to know what he thought of her personality, her past, everything. She asked, "Why did you ask me to coffee, John?"

"Because, because I thought that it would be nice. I wanted to get to know you. I guess I don't really know why," he said the last part, looking down.

"Is Frohike really a mean person."

That made Byers laugh. "Certainly not. If anyone is a marshmallow in this group, it's him."

Melanie smiled. "I was just curious."

Samantha woke up, finding Doggett and Andy still asleep. She smiled. How would she tell the two of them that she had to pee? She sighed. Maybe staying here wouldn't be so bad.

She nudged Doggett in the stomach. He grumbled in his sleep, squeezing her tighter. She sighed again. That was not what she wanted. She nudged him harder. "Wake up, John. Come on. I've got to pee."

Doggett opened one eye. He said, "Alright, alright. Go ahead."

He let her go, and she said, "Keep my spot, there."

He smiled, nodding. She laughed as she saw him close his eye, falling back to sleep as she walked out of the room. She went down the hall to the bathroom. When she came back out, she heard voices down stairs.

Langly and Frohike were talking. She smiled. Leave it to them to hang out here.

She decided to walk down stairs to talk to them for a minute or two. When she got down stairs, she said, "What's up?" Frohike said, "We got the word that the AHH blood can't save Scully. We don't have many options open to us, but we thought before we pursued anything, we'd talk to you about it."

Samantha sighed. "Poor Fox. What option do you refer to?"

"A man named Jeremiah Smith. I don't know if you are familiar with the man," Langly said.

"Hmm, not right now, no. You say he may be able to heal Dana?" Samantha asked.

"Yep. Should be able to. He is notorious for being able to heal a lot of people. He's hard to get a hold of, being a shape changer," Frohike said.

"Hmm. I might be able to track him down with your help. I think first and fore most, I should finish getting my sleep. Before I go and tackle that, I need to rest. Look up what ever you can find on the man while I sleep though."

Frohike nodded. He said, "We will."

"Alright. Thanks so much you guys."

Frohike, Langly, and Audrey all set out to looking information up on Jeremiah Smith. They had lap tops with them to look things up on the internet. Frohike typed in the man's name.

Langly said, "Frohike, do you think we'll find much? I don't expect this man to be an easy find."

Frohike sighed. "Don't know. We don't have time to dilly dally though. Scully needs this cure as soon as we can get a hold of it. I'm afraid if we don't, many people will not be very happy."

Audrey sat down next to Frohike, "Mel, look at the screen, alright?"

Frohike turned back to look at it. A dozen files sprung up. Frohike clicked on one. It was obviously an assignment post. Unfortunately, as soon as the page popped up, the unauthorized viewing screen did as well. It barred them from seeing anything.

Frohike grumbled for a minute. He said, "Langly, do you think you can hack into this site on your laptop? I'm going to see how many of these will need hacking."

Langly nodded. "Sure. You just find what you can, and I'll hack the rest, until you run out of files to try."

Audrey smiled. "And I'll make sure Mel stays on task."

Langly rolled his eyes. "I'm sure you will, Audrey."

Audrey knew that Langly felt threatened by her being there. She also knew that Frohike and Langly were best friends. If Frohike and Langly were separated, she knew that Frohike would be unhappy.

"Any luck, Mel?" she asked him, whispering in his ear.

"Not yet. I'm hoping with this file though," Frohike said, turning to give her a quick kiss. "There we go, someone forgot to bar this one. It says here, and I quote, that 'Jeremiah Smith lives in one small town in Minnesota. A Marshall, Minnesota to be exact and can be contacted through a local MUFON group out there.

Our MUFON group must have not known about it yet.

They'd tell us in a bit. I'll have to tell Samantha when she wakes."

Langly said, "Yep. That's basically what all these files say too. I'd say it's going to be the hard part of getting him to help out now. I know Mulder will be all over this once he hears. Anything to save Scully."

Frohike nodded. "You bet he'll want to save the Pretty Lady."

Audrey glared at him. "Hey."

"Audrey, you're the Prettiest Lady, alright? It's an old nick name for Scully. It irritates her, and that's the fun part of it."

Audrey looked pleased. "Well, now that we have that finished, what do you two want to do?"

Jeremiah Smith stepped out of the Hy Vee on East Main Street. He walked to his car in the cold parking lot.

The small town of Marshall, wasn't so small, but was actually the largest city in Lyon County. It being the County Seat had benefited. It was still smaller than Sioux Falls, but was growing rapidly.

He got into his car, starting it. There had been a lot of snow that year, and it only being January, it was sure that Marshall would be getting more. He cursed the bitter temperature of 10 below zero, and the windchill factor of 40 below. It seemed Marshall always had a wind blowing.

He drove down Main Street, to his house. He lived on an old street in an old house. It was rumored to be the house everyone moved in and out of in a hurry.

That fact would suit him perfectly. If it ever need be to leave in a hurry, he wouldn't be noticed. Small towns had eyes and ears, he didn't want to be noticed, nor did he want to be remembered.

A college student cut him off suddenly, and he cursed.

SSU students were over running the town at this time of year. It always ticked him off when that happened.

He hated that. They were every where he went.

He finally made it to the brick house, getting into the warmth of it. It was better than outside by far.

He didn't have to lock his door, but he felt safer with it locked. He picked up the paper, the Independent. The paper was always making mistakes, and never really reported on anything important. The front page had the Superintendent of the school talking about the need for a new school. He tossed the paper to his table.

As long as Marshallites didn't question his activities, he didn't feel threatened. He knew that he was hiding from the Alien Bounty Hunter, but the longer he hid, the better.

He opened up his computer, noticing he had a message.

He opened it, reading:

Message from: MUFONDC @ResistanceDC.com We are searching all groups for a healer for a necessary healing. AHH blood is unable to save a person in the DCRT. We can not afford to lose this person. If you have any word, send it to us as soon as possible.

DCRT

Jeremiah re read the file. DCRT? Who was on that team?

He only knew people on the Sioux Falls and Minneapolis Teams. He was worried about who was in DCRT. He'd have to ask someone who was on the DCRT.

Mulder woke up, on the cot the hospital provided. He looked at Scully's sleeping form. She looked at peace, and a smile was on her face. He wondered what Scully was thinking or dreaming about in her sleep.

Scully woke then. She said, "Mulder, why don't you go home for a bit. Visit the children. I'm sure they want to know what is going on."

Mulder nodded. "Alright. I'm sure me being here like this won't do any good. I should go out and find something useful to do."

Scully smiled. "Yeah. You do that." She sighed. "Give me a kiss before you go. I wouldn't want to miss that."

Mulder nodded, giving her a smile. He kissed her, "Wait for me to come back. I'll be back in a little while."

"I'm not going anywhere, Mulder," Scully said, smiling at him.

"Good." He gave her one more smile before leaving. He walked down the hall way thinking about how Scully was slowly beginning to fade, though it wasn't evident yet. He sighed.

He drove first to the Gunmen's. A note was posted to the door. "Went to raid the kitchen. Be back later."

Mulder smiled. Leave it to them to refer to Doggett's house as a kitchen. He got into his car, to drive to Doggett's and see his children. He hoped that Samantha would be awake.

When he arrived, he said, "Kathy, Teresa, Jack, it's Daddy!"

The children woke up, yawning. The children got up, running towards their father. Mulder scooped up his youngest child. He asked, "How was your stay with Uncles Langly, Frohike and Byers?"

They said, "It was fun. We watched movies, and we went to bed, just like Mama said to," Kathy said.

"Good." He set his daughter down. "Boys, hope the night hasn't been too rough on you.

"Not at all. You're going to want to see this though, Mulder," Langly said.

Mulder stepped over the sleeping Alexa. He said, "What is it?"

"Just take a peek," Frohike said.

Mulder looked at what was on the site that had been pulled up. He read Jeremiah Smith's name. "Do you think there is a way to contact him and get him to help Scully?"

"Don't know Mulder. He might be against that action," Frohike said. "He's hard to get to cooperate. You know that. He does as he pleases."

Mulder read the name of the town. "Maybe if I go to him, tell him what the problem is, he might concede to help me. I have nothing else to try."

Samantha came down the stairs. She said, "Oh Fox. I'm so sorry about Dana."

"We might have that cure, Sam. That man is our key," Mulder said, pointing the computer screen.

Kathy pulled on Mulder's pants leg. "Daddy, what is wrong with Mama?"

"She's sick, baby girl. We have to save Mama. You just be mindful of your uncles here," Mulder said. He picked the child up. "I'm sorry I can't tell you anything more. I don't want to upset you guys too much."

Kathy looked satisfied with the answer. She hugged her father. "Mama will be okay soon. Don't worry about her too much."

Mulder felt tears come to his eyes. "Yeah. Mama will be okay in a little while," Samantha said, "Minnesota this time of year is harsh.

We'll just have to brave it."

Mulder nodded. "Yeah. The sooner we can convince him to come to save Scully the better off we'll be."

Samantha hugged her brother. "John won't like me going off to the middle of no where. He hates me leaving."

Mulder smiled. "I don't blame him. I know that if Scully needed to do the same thing, I'd let her go, though I don't like it."

Doggett came down the stairs carrying Andy. "Mulduh, I'm so sorry. Any luck?"

"No. We might have found a good key to saving Scully though," Mulder said.

Doggett nodded. "So, who goes with you?"

"Samantha will. I'll choose one Gunmen to come along with me to keep us in contact with home through the computer."

Doggett nodded. "I'll have to let her go. I know you'd let Scully go if our situations were reversed."

"Which Gunmen would you take, Mulder?" Frohike asked.

"Langly. I want to take him along," Mulder said.

Frohike nodded. "Alright. I'd rather stay where it is a bit warmer if you ask me."

Mulder nodded. "Alright, I'll go and book our flight.

We should get out there as soon as we can. I don't want to dawdle when we can get this done so much sooner."

Samantha nodded. "Fox, you get dressed. I'm sure that John and the remaining Gunmen can keep an eye on the children while we're gone."

Doggett nodded. "Not a problem. Krycek and Jane staying with Scully then?"

"That be the plan. Let me just get those errands ran, and we'll go." Mulder left the house.

After he was gone, Doggett said, "Be careful, Sam.

We've had enough problems lately."

Samantha hugged Doggett. "I know we have. I hope that this doesn't go badly. Fox needs Dana."

"That he does," Doggett said. "Andy, don't bother Langly when he's on the computer."

Langly turned saying, "It's not a problem." He had taken the boy onto his lap.

The door opened, and Byers and Melanie walked through.

Byers asked, "What's going on?"

"Mulder, Samantha and Langly are going to Minnesota," Frohike said. "Glad it's not me."

"Minnesota? This time of year? It's cold up there."

Byers said. He sighed. "We have no choice I suppose."

Melanie saw Samantha in Doggett's arms. She smiled.

They looked so happy and perfect for each other.

Having had coffee with Byers made her all that much happier. "Good luck in Minnesota."

"Thanks," Samantha said.

Mulder came back, saying, "Let's get going. We should get on our flight with in the hour. We'll be flying to Minneapolis, and driving to Marshall from there."

Langly said, "Can we pack?"

"Yeah. Let's get all of that done, and we'll go," Mulder said.

Samantha said, "I'll go pack, John. I'll take some pictures if you like. We should take a vacation sometime, when it's not so crazy."

Doggett smiled. "Sure, take all the pictures you want.

Just don't turn the trip into a sight seein' tour."

"I won't." She disappeared up the stairs. Doggett shook his head. "Think she's ever been anywhere?"

Mulder shrugged. "Maybe not. She should have fun for a bit while we're there any ways."

Samantha came back down, carrying a bag. She gave Doggett a kiss. "Don't spoil Andy while I'm gone.

Don't worry, I'm bringing my thick winter coat. I'm not going to be silly and go into the Great White North unprepared."

Doggett smiled. "Good luck you guys."

Mulder nodded. Langly and the two Mulders left the house. Mulder said, "We'll swing by your place, Langly. I already packed."

Langly nodded. He hoped that it wouldn't be too cold up there. He sat in the back seat. Samantha sat next to Mulder. Her and Mulder's bag were in the trunk.

Mulder pulled up to the Gunmen's place. Langly got out. "I'll just be a minute."

Mulder sighed. He said to Samantha, "I hope I picked the right Gunmen."

"Fox, any one of them would do," Samantha said with a smile. "Let's just hope that this Jeremiah Smith is willing to help us out."

Mulder nodded. "No kidding."

Langly came back out, toting his bag. He gave a signal to Mulder to pop the trunk. Mulder did as asked.

Langly threw his bag into trunk, getting back in.

"Let's get going."

Mulder drove them to the airport. They boarded the plane after Mulder flashed his badge. He wanted to get seated as soon as possible. They made it to their seats, and Samantha sitting in the middle.

She sighed. The take off of a plane might be like the alien ship. She hoped it would not be. She settled back, preparing for a nice plane ride.

When they arrived in Minneapolis, Samantha was asleep on Mulder's shoulder. She had failed asleep on the way, as soon as the flight was nothing like the alien ship.

Mulder nudged her. "We're in Minneapolis."

She woke, shaking her head. "Thanks. Let's get going to Marshall. Wonder what it's like there."

Mulder had never been there either, so he couldn't give her an answer. He said, "Let's get there and find out. Have the map, Langly?"

Langly had been looking up Minnesota maps while they were on the flight. He was using his laptop to locate Marshall. "Yep. Right here. We have a 3 hour drive ahead of us."

Mulder sighed. "I hate driving long distances," Samantha said, "It might pretty."

They got off the plane and went to a rental car place.

Mulder got his rental car, and they got in to go to Marshall. Langly sat in the back again. He didn't mind. Samantha wanted to take pictures of Minnesota as they went by. She wanted to remember the place as she went by, and so she could show Doggett what the area looked like.

Langly sent an email to Frohike. He wanted Frohike to know that they were on their way and that the flight had landed safely. He also wanted to tell Frohike how silly Samantha was being.

To: "Melvin Frohike" frohike @magicbullet.com Hey Dohike! You'd like it out here, except it is COLD!!! The plane landed and we're on our way to Marshall. Samantha is acting like a tourist, and has taken at least 8 pictures. She said something about showing them to Doggbert. Don't ask me. Check back with you when we get to Marshall.

Langly

Mulder said, "Redwood Falls. We're getting closer. How much more do we have, Langly?"

Langly checked the map. He said, "About 36 miles, Mulder."

Samantha was taking a picture again. She said, "This is fun. Have you ever seen so much snow in all your life?"

Langly shook his head. This girl needed to go sight seeing just once. Anywhere, just so she didn't act like a tourist where ever she went. It might help a bit though.

Mulder smiled at his sister. "Yes, Sam. I've been to Antarctica."

"Ooo, so big and important, are we Fox Mulder?" She took another picture. "I don't care, I think it's beautiful out here."

Mulder shook his head. "Let's hope we can find him and get what we need while we are out here."

When they arrived in Marshall, they saw the college campus. The sign read, "Home of the Marshall Tigers and SSU Mustangs." Samantha took a snap shot of that.

She giggled. "John is going to wonder what I did when I was out here. I've taken three rolls of film already."

Langly rolled his eyes. "Let's stop at some place to eat."

Mulder nodded. He drove onto the street called "East College Drive". A few places down from SSU was an Embers. They pulled into the restaurant. Samantha said, "Fox, I shouldn't be seen. I want to wait to be seen just in case we need a way to coax Jeremiah into coming. I'll eat at our hotel."

Mulder nodded. "Good plan. Come on Langly."

Langly and Mulder walked into the Embers. They were seated in the nice restaurant, not far from a table that had an argument going on.

Langly saw who was arguing, but Mulder didn't care.

A woman was arguing with some people about politics.

She said rather loudly, "Yeah well, Al Gore should be in his second term, not his first. If this town wasn't so Republican I wouldn't even be having this conversation. I always say that friends don't friends vote Republican."

Her companion replied, "Yeah, but at least Bush didn't boink anyone in the oval office."

"Still stuck on bashing Clinton are we? That's sad.

What about Bush's missile scandal? We had at least 6,000 troops killed in a simple mission, and the fool covered it up. Not to mention that Election 2000 mess.

Al Gore won then too. Admit it."

Langly watched in fascination. The woman was small, and had long blonde hair. It was combed nicely. She was wearing a Rolling Stones T-Shirt that had Jagger on the front, and JJFlash above his picture. She pulled at her shirt, "Does this look like a conservatives shirt? I'm about as liberal as they come."

Langly was startled by Mulder, "Gonna order anything Langly, or are you going to just stare at the political woman?"

Langly blushed. "I've never heard anyone argue like that, except on Capitol Hill."

"What are you talking Langly, you and Frohike argue like that all the time," Mulder said, shaking his head.

Langly sighed. "She wouldn't want to talk to a geek like me any ways. Besides, we won't be here long enough."

He heard her say, "I'd do almost anything to move out to D.C. The only problem with that is everything I've ever known is out here. Who would keep the balance in District 21A with out me?"

"I'm sure we'd find another Liberal to argue with."

"Yeah, but they wouldn't be as good as me," the woman said.

"Josephine, I'll be right back, try not to start a fist fight with anyone over this, okay?"

"I won't. Just go." Josephine sipped her drink. She shook her head, "Damn Republican fool."

Langly looked at Mulder with imploring eyes. "Should I?"

"Go right ahead, Langly. I'm not stopping you."

Langly got up, approaching the woman. "Hi, I'm Ringo Langly."

The woman looked up. She noticed that he had a rock t-shirt. "Not another Republican moron, are you?"

"No."

"Good. You sound like you come from some where else."

Josephine said, her blue eyes penetrating Langly.

"I come from D.C. actually. When I heard you say that you'd do almost anything to move out there, I had to talk to you."

Josephine smiled big then. It lit up her face. "I love D.C. I went there once a few years back, on a tourist thing. Never got to see the F.B.I. building though. Oh by the way, I think you'll really enjoy the FDR Memorial, mkay?" she asked the last part with a nasal tone, dragging the words by, way, really out. Langly smiled at her impression.

"I'm sitting over there with that dude." Langly felt silly calling Mulder dude.

"He looks very important. You guys in the government trying to set us up for a scandal?" she asked it with a smile.

"No, not at all," Langly said.

"He does look preoccupied though. Something wrong?"

"Yes, actually we're here on something. I can't tell you much," Langly said, feeling as if he sounded like any F.B.I. agent out there on an undercover mission.

"See, inner governmental conspiracy." She shook her head.

Langly smiled. This girl was good. "No. Unless you want to keep arguing with the Republican, you can come and sit with us."

Josephine looked forlorn for a moment. "Richard wouldn't like that. We're just old college friends catching up in our old hang out. SSU down the road you know. I'm a political scientist with a law background."

Langly said, "It's totally up to you. I'll let you be, and you can decide to sit with us if you want."

Josephine nodded. She looked wary. He wondered why she looked so wary about meeting someone new. He sighed, walking away to sit with Mulder.

"Well, how did it go?" Mulder asked, smiling.

"She was nice. She's from this town. Said she's been to D.C., but didn't get to see the F.B.I. building."

"Bummer. Did she happen to go with the 'Oh By the Way Lady'" Mulder asked smiling.

"Yeah, yeah she did! How do you know that lady?"

Langly asked.

"Went on her tour one day when I was bored. I was about to throttle her by the end of it. 'Oh by the way, I think you'll really enjoy the FDR Memorial, mkay? Oh by the way, I think you'll really enjoy the fourth fountain, built in it, mkay?' She drove me up the fricking wall. Took 25 to 30 minutes just to see the damn memorial," Mulder said.

Josephine heard him say this. She got up joining them at the table. She said, "You've taken that tour?"

"Yep. You must be the woman that Langly went to talk to," Mulder said, "Fox Mulder."

"Josephine Carson. So, what are you boys doing in freezing no wheres land?" Josephine asked, looking at both of them.

Mulder said, "It's a mission that if we don't complete will just be a bad thing for all the things we do."

"Don't talk in circles. Just get to the point. You look like the Alien guy on the news from time to time."

"I, I actually am. You've heard of the Resistance, right?" Mulder said.

"Yeah. Proud MUFON member," Josephine said.

"Good. This will make things so much easier," Mulder said.

"Alright. Give me the low down on this. I know this town inside and out, though most don't even notice me.

I'm that little girl that no one notices simply because I'm not the prettiest," Josephine said.

Langly wondered what was wrong with this town.

Josephine was very pretty. "Want to talk about this somewhere else, Mulder? We don't want too many ears to hear."

"You and your paranoid tenancies, Langly. Between you and Frohike, I can't decide who is worse," Mulder said with a laugh. "It wouldn't be a good idea, I think.

Looks like I'm not going to get to eat here any ways."

All three of them stepped out of the restaurant.

Josephine got into the back seat with Langly. She saw all of his computer stuff. "I don't know what that is all for, but I do know how to email if anything."

Langly smiled. He said, "Frohike is going to die when I tell him about Marshall."

"What ever for? You can do everything in one day. You can go to Market Street Mall and go shopping, you can go to the biggest thing in town, Hy Vee, you can go to the movies, you can go out to eat, and in the Summer you can go swimming on top of it. We're boring."

Josephine said. She hadn't caught what he meant, simply because she didn't think anyone would actually think that she was worth meeting.

She looked up, seeing Samantha Mulder. "Who are you? You guys just get more perplexing."

"Samantha Mulder," Samantha said, smiling.

"The Samantha Mulder? I should have guessed when Mulder up there said his name." She picked up on Langly saying Mulder instead of Fox."

"Yep. This town is so quaint," Samantha said.

"Thanks. Grew up here. Been a Marshallite my entire life," Josephine said.

They drove to their hotel. Mulder said, "Langly, you are in charge of all that computer stuff. I'm not about to even touch that stuff."

Langly said, "Good. I didn't tell Frohike that I took something of his."

Mulder rolled his eyes. "Langly! Frohike will yell at me when we get back."

"Nah. He'll yell at me," Langly said.

Samantha was back to taking pictures. Josephine said, "It's not the Ritz or anything. You don't have to remember all of Marshall," Samantha said, "This is the first place I've ever been. Until I have to actually do work, I'm going to have fun," she snapped pictures.

"I guess you do have a point. I have pictures of Idaho from when I was a little girl. Don't go there."

Josephine said. She sighed. "You guys sure you want to stay in this hotel? I have a nice place with plenty of room. Oldest place in town too."

They looked at her surprised. They really didn't want to spend it in a hotel. Things would be harder if they were in a hotel, harder to keep things under wraps.

Josephine said, "Here, I'll give you instructions to get to my place. You guys should stay there. If you're on a major mission for the Resistance, I think you'd want to keep it as quiet as you can."

Mulder smiled. "Thanks. We appreciate it. Let's go."

Josephine got back into the back seat. Everyone else got ready to follow her instructions. She said, "Alright, take this street down to the curve in East College." Mulder did as told. He pulled into the lane she directed him to take.

"Now, when we get to the curve, there are two different ways to go. Take the left fork," Josephine said.

Mulder did as told. He found the fork, taking it as she said. "Now, there is another curve here. Turn right at the first block. Drive past the run down Junior High for two blocks."

Mulder followed that instruction. She said, "Take a right, go for a block and turn right. The blue house is the one you are looking for."

Mulder saw it. He said, "Looks good. Let's get inside, and we'll fill her in."

Samantha was giggling again. "John is going to wonder what all these pictures are. Oh well. I'm having fun."

Josephine watched Samantha enter the house. Samantha was the most powerful person in the Resistance, yet she was acting like a little girl. She shook her head.

Langly walked in to the house, seeing it nicely furnished. She said, "Make yourself at home. I'll just put something on to eat. How about a frozen pizza? It's not better than flight food. No, wait, I'll order a pizza."

Langly saw all of her books. She had a lot of them.

Her living room was furnished with a sofa and two chairs. Samantha took pictures of the inside of the house, and sat down in one chair. Mulder took the other.

Langly said, "Samantha, don't go taking pictures of the woman's house."

"Why not?" Samantha said, sticking her tongue out.

Langly rolled his eyes. He heard Josephine exclaim, "Holy Katz! If I have to tell one more cat not to knock the food cans down, I don't know what I'll do."

She came back out, carrying a couple cans of pop. She handed the pop out, and sat down on her sofa. She sighed. "Alright, tell me what is going on," Mulder said, "My wife, Dana Scully is sick. She needs the assistance of this man." Mulder opened the picture of Jeremiah Smith.

Josephine said, "Seen him. He thinks I don't know I'm on to him," Mulder said, "Where does he live?"

"Next block, the evil house. He lives in the brick house. No one seems to stay there for more than six months."

"Oh?" Mulder said. He took a sip of his Coke. "We'll have to see if he'll talk to us."

"He doesn't talk to anyone."

"That's where I come in," Samantha said. "I'll be the secret weapon for Fox. When he decides not to talk to Fox, I'll decloak myself."

"You'll do what?"

"Show her, Sam," Mulder said.

Samantha started to cloak herself. She Cheshire Catted, saying, "That might persuade him if I suddenly appear. Dana Scully is very important."

"Yes. Scully is dying, and I need this man to save her," Mulder whispered.

Josephine said, "Well, we'll have to make him do what we can to convince him that this must be done. For today, try relaxing. You've done a lot today.

Traveling from D.C. to Marshall Minnesota. That's silly."

Langly sat next to her. He watched her, rather than listen to what Mulder and Samantha were saying. She was very animated about everything. A cat came into the room, jumping into her lap. "Hey Bit Bit. These new people aren't going to hurt you." He really liked this girl.

"Bit Bit, I'm going to get up." The cat meowed its protest. She asked, "Stones alright?"

Samantha looked up into the girl's face. "You like the Stones?"

"Did you see the T-Shirt?"

"No, I was taking too many pictures." Samantha admitted.

Josephine was blunt, and didn't dilly dally on telling people her thoughts. She stuck a CD in. "How about some of the early stuff, Beggars Banquet."

She sat back down, hoping that the company wouldn't mind. She said, "Bit Bit, you can come back." She flipped a foot rest up, sitting on the couch, and the cat climbed back onto her lap.

Mulder saw Langly's pleading face. He said, "Sam, why don't we get our stuff in the house, alright?"

"Alright Fox. I still want to hear the rest of the CD."

"You will later."

Langly gave Mulder a smile.

Josephine was petting her cat. Langly wanted to say something to her, but wondered what he should say.

"So, ever see the Stones live before?" It was worth a shot, good ice breaker.

"Yeah. 94 and 98. Great concerts. I love their music."

Josephine said. "I noticed you like rock and roll.

Nice Aerosmith T-shirt."

"Thanks. Only good thing about Frohike having a girl friend around. She can defend my music taste," Langly said.

"Oh? He doesn't like that stuff?" Josephine said.

"Not really. It's an odd thing him not liking that music."

"How did you meet these two?" Josephine asked.

"I met them when Mulder was a young Violent Crimes agent. We've been friends ever since."

Josephine smiled. "That's a neat thing. I know that Samantha was abducted a long time ago. She just turned up one day?"

"She had to wait for Mulder, as far as I know. It's a very very long story."

Josephine said, "I'd like to hear it, if you don't mind."

Langly said, "Alright." He filled her in on what he knew about all of the Resistance. He filled her in on how the Gunmen was formed. He told her about all of the little things that happened in the past five years. Josephine had moved closer to him, though Bit Bit protested her movements.

Langly asked softly, "Tell me about yourself. I want to know."

Josephine looked down. She asked, "My childhood sucked. I never had any real friends. Don't always believe stereotypes. Not all Midwesterners are nice and considerate."

"What do you mean, go on," Langly said.

"My childhood, I spent a lot of my time getting beaten by other kids and then being blamed for it. My supposed best friends ditched me. I had helped my best friend through a difficult time with suicide and she later on told me that she didn't want to be my friend.

It tore me apart for awhile, though on the outside I never let it show. I went to SSU here, and let myself slowly forget, or at least I tried. I made new friends, but most them weren't any different than the other ones."

Langly felt bad for her. He knew it had to be difficult to be betrayed like that. "Did they ever have a reason for doing that to you?"

"No. Just said they didn't like me. That was after she came back from the mental hospital in Willmar, my boy friend was with me and when she moved into his house as a foster child, she swiftly made that relationship end. I'm past it now, but I wish that I wouldn't have done all of that to find out that I would get screwed over in the end."

Langly nodded. "Yeah. I can see that."

"So, do you like Minnesota?"

"Yeah, it's pretty. I just don't like the cold."

"Me either, but I'm not afraid of it. I wish I could just pack up and leave this place. Start fresh, where no one knows me. I'm sick of being known."

"Move to D.C. when we leave," Langly said.

"What?"

"Just pack up and move out to D.C," Langly said.

"I don't know. I wish I could, there is nothing out here for me, except desolation and bad memories."

Josephine said.

"Then you will?" Langly was hopeful. Though he really didn't know the girl, he was finding himself very attracted to the girl, and he feared he'd never find anyone like her again.

Title: Shattered Halcyon (Part Three: Guilt in the Dying

Author: Cinnamon Scully

"Alright, Fox. You drug me outside into this bitter cold. Tell me why," Samantha said, a little cross.

"Didn't you see Langly?" Mulder said.

"What do you mean?" Samantha looked at her brother, trying to figure out what was going on.

He picked up her bag. "Langly likes Josephine. He wants to talk to her alone, see if she likes him."

Samantha sighed. "The Gunmen are dropping like flies to women. I hope he has luck with her."

Mulder nodded. "Me too. I've noticed that he isn't happy lately. Said something about not having anyone like Frohike does. Josephine is a good match."

Samantha sighed. "I hope that he doesn't get disappointed. It would break his heart."

"Yeah. It would. I don't know what he would do," Mulder said, "Let's go around the block just quick.

We'll cloak even."

Samantha smiled. She said, "Who can run around the block the fastest?"

"Sam, don't. It's pure ice here. You can go faster any ways. Just don't get hurt. I'd never be able to forgive myself if I had to come home and tell Doggett that you had managed to break your neck."

Samantha pouted. "You're not any fun." She walked with her brother cloaked. They walked down the sidewalk, Samantha taking more pictures. She took a picture of the great big white house on the corner. The corner across from it was Jeremiah Smiths. Mulder pointed it out to her. They saw a man staring out the window. He didn't see them, but he could feel their presence. If he would have been focusing on finding them, he would have seen them.

They walked over treacherous ice and snow. Mulder cursed a few time. "You'd think they'd heard of a shovel."

Samantha almost took a nose dive. Mulder caught her.

"Sam, don't do that."

"Sorry, found glaze ice. Wait a minute," she started to rise above the ground, floating above the ice. She smiled at her brother sheepishly.

Mulder groaned. "Sam! That's so not fair!"

Samantha said, "How is it not fair? I earned this right. Let's just hope that Jeremiah isn't on to us.

Let's get back before Langly embarrasses himself."

Mulder laughed. She continued to float about an inch or two off the ground. He shook his head. She had earned the right to be able to do that.

He followed her back to the house, noticing how pretty the trees were as he passed. The ice coated their branches. The gray sky set the ice off prettily. He wished that it would be this pretty without all of this cold. He realized he didn't notice the cold.

Samantha turned a devilish smile to him. "Sorry, turned on the heat here. I didn't feel like freezing."

She took another picture, one of a large ice covered maple tree.

Mulder laughed. He was glad to have this time with his sister. It was like when they were little, and they could just be together. He sighed. "Let's hope that Langly hasn't messed up too badly."

Later on that night, Langly was reading an email from Frohike.

From: "Melvin Frohike" frohike @magicbullet.com Hey Punk Ass! Glad you guys made it there alive. I told Dogggbert about Samantha. He laughed. He said something about buying a photo album for all the pictures he knows she's going to have. Tell us more about Marshall when you get the chance.

Frohike

Langly rolled his eyes. Leave it to Doggett to actually encourage Samantha. Doggett did tend to break for Samantha's desires. He knew why too, Doggett felt guilty for Samantha.

He decided to email Frohike back, telling him about Marshall.

To: "Melvin Frohike" frohike @magicbullet.com You'll never guess what happened in Marshall. When we arrived, Samantha took more pictures, but when Mulder and I went into the restaurant, we saw a local girl there. She's really nice, and she took us in to stay at her place. She wants to move to D.C. and I convinced her to do so. Can you believe it? I'll make room for her in my room, though I think we might be getting sort of cramped in our small living space.

Have we ever thought of getting a bigger place?

Jeremiah Smith is down the block. Samantha said that we'll approach him in a few days. Tell the rest of the gang. Oh, and Mulder told me that you should go and visit Scully for him.

Langly

Langly was in the living room, sitting next to Josephine. She was watching television. Samantha and Mulder were setting up their guest room. He was glad that they were upstairs. He saw her stare at the television screen. She was enjoying the program. A telephone call interrupted what he wanted to say.

"I did not do it!" Josephine yelled. "This had better be good."

He heard her talking to someone. Her face paled. "No, don't you dare try to get me to feel sorry for you. I did that once. You told me after you didn't need me that I was not important. Forget it!"

Langly realized it was the friend that she had told him about. He watched her eyes blaze with anger. She said, "Find someone else to make feel sorry for you and take you in. I'm not going to do it ever again.

What? You think you can waltz back into my life and tell me what I should or should not do. I'm moving in a bit."

Langly saw her tiny form fill with rage. He hoped that the person that was trying to force her to help would lose. She said, "Washington D.C. if it's anything to you. What? You said he lives out there? So what, it's a big place, I think I'll manage. I'm sick of living here."

Langly felt his spirits sink. Her ex boyfriend lived out there. He hoped that he wouldn't have to deal with this. She slammed the phone down. "Fool! Like I'm going to go back to being used. Just because he lives out there means nothing."

Langly wondered how angry she really was. She turned to him, waving her arms in aspiration, "Can you believe that! My blood is boiling now!"

Langly sighed. She was very attractive when she was angry. "Calm down. At least you can hang up."

"Yeah, she'll try and show up. I can't let her see you guys."

A knock came to the door. She said, "Hide." Langly went into the den that went off the living room. He heard her open the door. Josephine said, "Didn't we deal with this enough, already?"

A woman's voice said, "Jo, you got to help me. I don't have anyone else to turn to. I'm sorry for saying that I don't like you."

"I'm not good enough for you, remember? I'm not worth talking to. I don't care enough for, not considerate enough for you. Why don't find someone else to screw over."

"I did not screw you over," the woman said.

"Oh, and I'm the Queen of England. If you gave a rip for me, you wouldn't have ripped my heart out like you did. You're an idiot."

"Don't call me that."

"You should have thought of that when you tried to screw me over," Josephine said, ice in her voice.

Langly knew she had the upper hand with the woman.

Samantha came down the stair. "Who is this, Josephine?"

"Some one who is leaving," Josephine said.

The woman looked at Samantha. She saw Samantha's shoulders square. "You just tried to screw her over!

You came over here with this martyr story, and none of it is true! You want to see hell, I'll give you hell!"

The woman saw Samantha approach her. She said, "How did you read my mind."

"Wait until I do this." Samantha connected her mind with the woman. "See Hell? I can arrange that if I so need to do so."

The woman screamed in horror. "Don't, no please!"

"I've gone through that for over 30 years. Since you were going to screw this good kindhearted woman over, I'd leave if you don't want to be there in hell."

The woman backed back out of the door. "You found freaks."

Josephine sighed. "Now they know you are here."

"No, she won't remember a thing. I erased my identity and mark from her. She'll be picked up by an ABH that will hold her until I give a command to let her go.

She won't be tested on. I can't be that cruel."

Josephine said, "Langly, you can come back out."

"Is it okay?" Langly was a little afraid of Samantha when she got angry. He stepped back out. "I heard that woman. She is totally wrong to try and screw you over like that."

"Yeah," Josephine said. She looked like she was going to break.

Samantha was angry now. She stomped back up the stairs, leaving Langly and Josephine downstairs.

Josephine turned around, hiding tears from him. She hated to break down in front of people that she didn't know, and those she even did know.

Langly saw her shoulders straighten, but knew she was having an inner battle. He walked over to her, turning her around. He hugged her. "Move to D.C. with me, and you'll never have to see that woman again."

"I didn't think it would still hurt to see her after all these years. She made me believe no one liked me, but her." She finally let her tears fall, burying her face in Langly chest.

Langly felt a little odd holding her. He hadn't done something like that in a long time. "She was wrong to show up for no reason."

"If you guys wouldn't have been here, I would have broke. She'd be staying the night, and I'd be her slave."

Langly wished no one would use such a good heart as hers.

Scully lay in her hospital bed. She was staring into space, thinking about what lay ahead for her. She felt anger well up inside of her. Why did she have to face death again? She was hurting inside. She was happy, and now it was going to be taken from her.

She was curled up in a ball. She didn't want to be disturbed as she thought of her pain. She sighed. She knew that Mulder was fighting to save her life, but she still wished that it didn't have to happen. She missed him being with her. It made her feel stronger when he was near.

She felt tears well up in her eyes, and she let them slowly fall down her cheeks. She was in pain, facing death, knowing that she would be leaving behind happiness. She knew that she would be leaving her children motherless. She hated the thought of those sweet children growing up without a mother.

She started to sob. She shook with the pain of her heart, knowing that she was slowly fading, and might die away. She hated that idea, she was angry at why she must die.

A hand touched her shoulder. She turned her pain filled eyes to Frohike. Frohike whispered, "Langly told me that Mulder wanted me to visit you. He's going to find the cure."

"I don't know anymore, Frohike." She sobbed. Frohike sat down next to her on the bed.

He pulled her into his arms. He held her close as she sobbed her heart out on his shoulder. "We'll save you in time."

"Why? Why me?"

"I don't know why, Scully. All I know is we have to stop it. I know that you're scared and you're upset."

"I'm scared for Mulder and my babies. I want them to have a mother when they grow up. Someone has to watch over Mulder. He needs me," Scully said.

"You need him to, Dana," Frohike said softly. He knew that she needed Mulder to be with her. Mulder had to save her, so he had to be gone.

Scully sobbed harder. "I know. I know. I need him just as much as he needs me."

Frohike rocked her for a moment. "He'll be back soon.

You'll see. It will be okay."

Mulder came down stairs, not wanting to be in the way of his angry sister. He saw Langly and Josephine. He smiled. Perhaps seeing his sister's rage would be fine. Best to leave them alone.

The two of them did not notice him. Josephine whispered to Langly, "Thank you. No one has ever really cared for me that way. I, I try to be a kindhearted person, and someone almost always screws me over. I'm sick of it."

Langly said, "All the more to move to D.C."

"Are you kidding? Not take the chance to live in D.C.? I don't care if you live with Charles Manson! I'm going to D.C. and that's just the way it is. I love Marshall, I love this quiet town, but I don't want to die here. I want to leave, want to see the world."

Langly knew that she was tough, she had started to think already, and he was hearing her thoughts. He knew that she was just starting to get into high gear.

"Does anyone need a political analyst?" Josephine asked.

"The paper I do might. We might need someone who knows a lot about politics."

"I'm a writer too. Does that help?" Josephine asked.

"Immensely, but you'll have to talk Frohike down to get to be one in the paper," Langly said. Frohike didn't stand a chance. Langly knew that Frohike was a big marshmellow.

"Alright. Let's get some sleep, and in a few days this town will no longer be my home. It might be fun."

Josephine said smiling. She sighed. "What about my kitties?"

Langly didn't think about her cats. He looked at the kitchen, seeing three cats sitting there.

"Hmm, I don't know. I'm sure we can arrange to take them with," Langly said.

Josephine kissed him then. She was so excited about leaving, and she knew by intuition that Langly liked her, liked her a lot. When she pulled away, Langly looked a little embarrassed. She gave him a smile.

"Don't be so embarrassed."

Langly said, "I just didn't expect that, that's all."

"Well, I just couldn't part with Bit Bit, Bonnie, or Clyde. That would be too sad."

Langly smiled. "Yeah. I bet you couldn't."

Josephine looked at Langly, she knew that he was an odd sort of fellow, but he had already proven himself to be a kind hearted person. She knew she could be setting herself up, but rather decided to take the plunge. What could happen?

She said, "So, when we move me out to D.C., and I live with you, I'm assuming, will I have a room of my own?"

"No. We're running out of room as it is. You'll have to share with me," Langly said.

"That's fine. I'm glad you like rock music. That is always a plus." She gave him another kiss. "Good night, sleep well. You get the den bedroom. I'm upstairs. My room is the one at the end of the hall, left end.

Langly nodded. He said, "Thanks." He still felt odd about her kissing him. It made him happy, but he was a little unsure about her. Did she really like him, or did she want to just get out of this little town so badly she would do so any way she could.

He sighed. He would go to bed, and sleep. Maybe when he woke, he would find out all of the truths behind her acting towards him. He hoped that she wouldn't be too unhappy with him. He hoped that things would go well with Jeremiah Smith, and that he could get home, hopefully with Josephine.

Mulder and Samantha were sharing a room. There wasn't enough room for each to have a separate bedroom.

Mulder was a little nervous about the idea, having lost his sister in a similar situation when he was a boy. He looked at Samantha sitting on the floor. She had her eyes closed, her legs crossed. She was meditating. Mulder was surprised. He had never seen her do this.

She said with out opening an eye. "It helps me to calm down. That woman made me very very angry. Tomorrow we talk with Jeremiah Smith."

Mulder nodded. He crawled under the blankets, feeling better with the warmth of blankets around him. He noticed that the house's upstairs had only one heating duct.

Samantha crawled into the bed next to him. They only had one bed, and though she made a face at him, she got into the bed with him anyway. "Keep your hands to yourself, Fox." She was smiling at him.

Mulder made a grossed out face. "I'm not going to do anything to you. Gross, Sam."

Samantha laughed. "I got you to react."

Mulder sighed. "Quit it."

"No," Samantha said. She turned facing him. "I don't have to."

"I'm glad I'm not Doggett. I don't have to put up with you on a nightly basis. Before you go saying things I don't want to hear, stop."

Samantha giggled. She saw her brother blush about the thing he had just said. She said, "I wouldn't tell you any ways," Mulder said, "Good. I don't want to know," she said, "So, when we go talk to Jeremiah, I'm cloaked, heavy like. He may be able to sense me if I'm not careful. If he refuses, I will make my grandiose entrance."

Mulder nodded. "Yep. that be the plan."

"What do you think of Josephine?"

"She's a nice girl. Langly managed not to make a complete fool and ruin any chances with her. I think she might like him too," Mulder said.

"Yeah. I think she's very smart and may be a big help to the Resistance. She'll be good for us," Samantha said.

"Yeah, she will." Mulder yawned. "I just hope we can get Jeremiah to listen to us."

"Yeah me too." Samantha closed her eyes, preparing to go to sleep. She said, "Good night, Fox," Mulder said, "Good night, Samantha. You behave too."

She hit him with an extra pillow. "Shut up, Fox."

"You started it, not me."

"Still, shut up."

Mulder shook his head, laying his head back down to go to sleep. It had been a long day, and though Marshall was small, he was enjoying the trip immensely.

The next morning, Mulder and Samantha were out the door before breakfast was made. Mulder shook himself, feeling the cold Minnesota air grip him even inside the house. Samantha shot a smile at him. She was once again using her powers to heat herself. She said, "I'll be right back, I'm going to get dressed. Why don't you get dressed in here while I'm in there? We'll go then."

Mulder nodded. "Yeah, good idea. I like that plan. The sooner we talk to him, the better."

Samantha disappeared across the hall into the bathroom. She closed the door, and Mulder felt the air grow colder, as the heat was now trapped in one room.

He sighed. He would just get dressed and leave with his sister. He would leave a note first for Langly though. He didn't want to alarm either Langly or Josephine.

He made it down the stairs, without bumping his head on the door frame above the stair way. He found a piece of notebook paper on the table, and a pen to write down his note.

Langly, We went to track Jeremiah down. We are okay, and I hope things will go well. Tell Josephine that we'll probably get our own breakfast, so don't wait for us to eat. Good luck by the way.

Mulder

He turned around, seeing his sister come down the stairs in a pair of black jeans, a black pullover, and her hair pulled back in a bun. He smiled at her.

"Let's go."

Samantha nodded. Mulder was dressed all in black too.

He said, "Let's hope that this works."

"Sh. I'm going to cloak, and I don't want to be given away. Just be careful. Don't give away that you are AHH either, alright?" Samantha said.

"I won't." Mulder stepped outside, and shut the door after his sister. She was still visible to him, and it was difficult not to talk to her when she was there.

He walked the treacherous sidewalks, trying to not fall flat on his face. Of course Samantha was keeping herself warm, floating and cloaked all at once. He shook head, and tried to manage the walk without breaking his neck.

They arrived at Jeremiah's house, and knocked. They saw a man inside spring up, looking ready to defend himself. Mulder waited for him to open the door.

Jeremiah opened the door, asking, "What may I do for you, Agent Mulder?"

"Inside, please." Mulder and a very heavy cloaked Samantha walked into the house. "I need your help.

You're the only one with this gift."

Jeremiah said, "That will blow my cover. I can't help you."

"My wife, Dana Scully is dying of cancer given to her during her tests. I need your help," Mulder said.

"I'll get protection for you."

"How will you, get protection for me? I'm fine without it. You seek things you don't even understand. Your sister, you seek her in all the wrong places."

Mulder had to smile inwardly at the comment. He thought it was great that this guy was saying these things. "Please. I can't bear to lose her. She is a very very important part."

"I'm sure she is. Fox, I would help you if I could without getting caught. I need to help others without being caught by the Cancer Man. He wants to use me for things I can not do. I can't, I'm sorry, Fox."

Mulder was feeling hopeless now. Even with Samantha's help, would Jeremiah even help?

Scully sat alone again in her hospital bed. She was thinking of what Frohike had said. She needed Mulder too, she knew that, but she still felt hopeless facing a death that would come no matter what she tried. She sighed.

Krycek walked into the room, knowing that she would need comfort. He sat down on the bed, saying softly, "Scully, we received word that we found Jeremiah. We will hear the answer to him helping us in a little while. I'm sure he'll help. Samantha has a lot of clout."

Scully turned pained eyes to Krycek. He knew what those eyes were about. She was afraid not only for herself, but for her children and Mulder. The hopelessness in her eyes made his heart wrench. He was glad that Mulder couldn't see her like this.

Krycek said softly, "Scully, things will be okay. You just have to believe that. Do you want me to get your priest to talk to you?"

Scully's lip started to tremble. "How did you know that I might want to talk to Father McQue?"

"Just a hunch. You look like you need guidance none of us can give. Here, I'll get a hold of him and stay with you until he shows up. Is that okay with you?"

"Yes." She looked down for a moment. "Thanks, Krycek."

"Not a big deal." Krycek stepped out into the hall. He said, "Jane, give Father McQue a call. She wants to talk to him. I'm going to wait with Scully."

Jane nodded. "I'm glad she's willing to talk to the Father."

"Me too." Krycek walked back to the bed. He sat down next to her, taking her hand into his. He said, "Scully, he's on his way."

Scully sat up. She looked like she was going to break any minute. She flung her tired form on Krycek. He held her close to him, rocking her. She choked out, "My greatest fear has come true. I'm slowly dying away from all the happiness I have ever wanted. I'm leaving behind all those I love and those who love me. I never thought I'd face this terrible death again, and I wish I didn't have to."

Krycek said, "I know. We're doing all we can. We'll make sure you don't die without dignity. I'm sure it won't come down to that."

"What if it does? Who will watch over Mulder? Who will raise my babies?" Scully said.

"I will. I'll watch over all of them for you." Krycek said.

She said, "You will? Why?"

"Because I need to give him something back, something more than this. I still have a lot to make up for. I still have a lot of misdeeds to make up for. And because, Scully, I need to do this for you. I find myself feeling guilty for not being able to save you.

I need to do this for my own redemption, and for your forgiveness, as well as for Mulder's."

"Alex, stop. You've done some of the most wonderful things we've ever needed. Without you, we might not have made it this far. You don't need to work for our forgiveness. I'd like to let you know that Mulder regards you as one of his best friends. You don't have to seek something you already have."

Krycek looked down at her. "I still feel guilty. I did terrible terrible things."

"You had to do what needed to be done at that point in time. The past is the past. You can't change that," Scully said. "I learned that the hard way."

Krycek looked at her with questions in his eyes. "What way?"

"I learned the hard way about changing the past. I learned when I decided to become Mulder's wife, that I missed a lot of things. I made a lot of mistakes that I should have not made. But that is in the past, and now I try to make things now happen as well as I can.

I see an opportunity to do something, I take it. I don't wallow in what could have been," Scully said.

Krycek sighed. "I understand, but this guilt inside me, it feeds on me in so many ways."

"I know. Maybe you should talk to Father McQue when he comes," Scully said.

"Yeah. Maybe I should."

"Scully is more important to something I think you will recognize when I name it. She is very important to the success of the Resistance. She needs to be kept alive," Mulder said.

"Another important person from the DCRT needs to be saved, Fox. I must save this person first, if I can even save Scully." Jeremiah said.

"Scully is that person. I am in the DCRT," Mulder said getting frustrated.

"I can't help you then." Jeremiah said.

"Like hell you can't. You just don't want to help her.

I'll do anything to get you to help her. I need her to live. You don't understand."

"I understand plenty. You want her to live for your quest. You're quest to find someone who you will never find in all of the places you are looking in. Just open your eyes, you could find out so much more than you know if you opened those eyes of yours." Jeremiah said.

Mulder said, "My eyes are opened enough. I was abducted nearly six years ago. I experienced things I should have never had to experience. I think my eyes are open enough."

"Fox, you spend so much time trying to prove things that can't be proved unless you send them to places that they might never return from." Jeremiah said.

"You will blow my cover if you keep things up like this."

Mulder sighed. "What do you think I will do if you don't save Scully?"

"Knowing you, Fox, you will more than likely do something rash. You will think of killing yourself, and you will think of doing something terrible, but you will get back up and start a search for why she had to die. I'm so terribly sorry I can't help you."

Jeremiah said.

"Like hell you are. You're not sorry. Unless you can save your own ass, you don't want anything to do with it. I think I know more than I wanted to know. I had more respect for you before I came."

"I'm sure you did. I know that I have respect for your un relentless quest. You don't quit, and this will not make you quit either. You'll find a way to move on after her death."

"No I won't! I have three children. I can't raise those children on my own. I need Scully. Do you want to leave three children motherless?" Mulder asked through clenched teeth.

"She's no longer barren?" Jeremiah asked.

"That's right, and I can't let my children growing up with out her. I can't do the raising alone. I'll give you one warning. Either you help me, or I do something drastic."

"You wouldn't do it. You couldn't report me to CSM."

Jeremiah asked through fear now.

"No. I thought I'd report you to someone else," Mulder said.

Samantha decloaked herself. "I am the person Fox will report you to. Either you help Dana Scully, or I will expose you. I will leave you to the wolves, for my next testing session will give me your gift that you got in your third testing session. I will no longer need you then."

"Samantha Mulder?"

Father McQue came in. He saw Scully, and she said, "Talk to him first, he needs it more than I do right now."

Father McQue turned to Krycek. He saw the pained expression on his face. He knew that he was blaming himself for all that had been done to Mulder and Scully. "Let's go out into the hall, shall we?"

Krycek simply nodded. He was afraid of his confession to the priest. They sat down on a couple of benches.

Krycek said, "I feel guilty for this, and for other things."

"I noticed. You feel as if you need to seek redemption. I think you should tell me why you feel this way."

"I killed Mulder's father, Scully's sister. I tried to kill Doggett and Samantha. I'm not a good person."

"Look at what you are doing now, Alex. You are doing wonderful things, yet you refuse to see that good you are doing. I say you should re examine your heart. Let yourself grow from this guilt. Without it, you will be more whole and able."

"Do you think so?" Krycek asked with a little bit of fear crossing his features.

"I know so, my son. You don't have to seek redemption from people, it is from yourself you seek this redemption. You need it for you. You will never heal from the pain you caused others when you do not let this go."

Krycek looked down at his feet. "I so want to forgive myself. I just feel as if I am unable. I tried to hurt so many people, and I just want to move on from it.

Make it right."

"You must ask the Lord to forgive you then. You must ask him to guide you on how to heal from this pain. I know you are afraid of this."

Krycek sighed. "Yes. I am very much afraid of this. I want to do so so badly, I want to look at my relationships without guilt, I want to move on. Will He really help me to do that?"

"Yes. The Lord will do anything for you. It is in Him you seek your refuge."

Krycek looked up from the floor. "I have never felt like this in all my life. I want to understand it. I want to know why I do now."

"You see yourself doing good. You see yourself being loved, yet you are afraid of it. You feel as if you don't deserve it. You deserve to be loved just like anyone else. Believe that you are good, and you shall be good."

Krycek gave him a weak smile. "Yeah, maybe I should see it that way. I feel a lot better now. Thank you Father. I never had actually needed a talk like that.

It did me a lot of good. I don't know how to thank you."

"You already have, my son. You have tried to save Dana's life. That is a lot. You saved others without any thought to yourself. You have done the selfless."

"That's right. You may actually be of alien born, made more human, but I know how to get you where I need you. I can make a deal for Dana's life. Either you help me, or I sell you to the CSM. Don't think William wouldn't thank me for it."

Jeremiah stared at her. She was standing straight, her head held high and eyes blazing. "How did you know that I was actually alien? They stuck me in this human body, and now I'd probably die without it. Explain yourself."

"I learned things through being an AHH, you should know that," Samantha said.

"You want me to heal Dana Scully. You'll have to bring the woman here."

"What ever for? She has to stay in D.C. She comes out here and she'll freeze to death," Samantha said. "I can protect you, I promise if you do this, I'll get you to a safe place."

Jeremiah looked at Samantha's face. She looked like she could tackle the world. She probably already had.

He said, "Alright, fine, I will go. You must promise to watch my back. I can't be a test subject to CSM."

"I know the exact sentiment. I'll even make sure you can come back here. It is a wonderful hiding spot.

Kudos goes to you for picking it," Samantha said. She looked around the room, its lack of furniture and knew what Jeremiah Smith was hiding. A life of desolation and loneliness. She sympathized with the man.

"We'll pick you up to take you back to D.C. in a little while. We need to inform people of the fact that we're ready to go. I know that things will be difficult to deal with for you, but with hope we may be able to do things the right way," Samantha said.

Jeremiah sighed. "I can't high tail it either."

Samantha smiled. "I'd track you very easily. Don't play games."

Jeremiah knew that she was highly skilled. Running would expose him, and he knew that he could not afford that. "I won't. Just tell me when we leave. I will save Dana Scully. Just don't do anything to make me blow my cover."

"I won't," Samantha said.

Mulder watched in fascination as his sister put on her power role. She could as if by a sheer force of will draw a cloak of power about her. Just yesterday she was the doting little tourist, cooing over the quaintness of Minnesota. It made his mind boggle.

Mulder extended his hand to Jeremiah. "You don't know what you've done for us."

"I think I do, Fox. Just be glad you had your sister with you. I didn't know you had found her." Jeremiah said.

"I'm thankful for that everyday," Mulder said, smiling.

Langly woke up the next morning. He yawned, getting up. He thought about the night before, smiling. He couldn't help it. He stepped out into the living room.

He smelt someone cooking breakfast.

Josephine yelled from the kitchen, "They went to talk to Jeremiah! Thought I'd let you know!"

He yelled back, "Thanks."

She was singing. It wasn't rock music. She sang very prettily, and Langly cursed himself for not knowing who it was she was singing with. He followed her voice.

Her voice matched exactly to the singer on the CD. He saw standing in front of a stove, cooking some bacon.

She said, in between singing, "Hope you like bacon."

"Love it." He couldn't say much more. She had started to sing again. He didn't want to disrupt her. It was perfect.

She turned, saying, "Sorry. I just enjoy singing to Jewel. She's so good, and I enjoy her music. That's when I want to be on the soft side. I love hard rock most of the time."

He nodded. He hated feeling so shy all of the sudden.

He sat down in a chair by the kitchen table. She said, "You missed KELO Land News. How could you miss the experience. Oh well, there is the noon news."

He smiled again. She startled him by saying, "Don't be so shy. You're real quiet, aren't you."

"No, not really. I'm just not a morning person."

"Neither am I. I just couldn't sleep. I get hyper sometimes when I can't sleep." She took a plate and placed the bacon on it. She offered a piece to him.

He took one, eating it. "Good bacon."

A cat came in, rubbing Langly's legs. The cat meowed.

Josephine turned around, looking at the cat. "Hey, Bonnie, I'm over here. I'm the one who feeds you." She mouthed, 'We don't talk about her weight problem. It hurts her feelings.' Langly smiled. He said, "You're cute, Bonnie." The cat looked up at him, her golden eyes looking at him with interest. She meowed again.

"Alright, alright. I'll feed you, Bonnie. I'm sure your mother and brother will follow suit," Josephine said. She walked over to the shelves by the doorway, selecting a can. She opened it, and all three cats appeared. "What did I tell you."

She sat down, placing eggs down in front of Langly and herself. "I didn't know how you liked yours, so I took a guess."

Langly nodded. He didn't mind. She turned on the television. "It's my soap time. I love to watch Y&R just to see how stupid some people will be. That's when I'm not working of course. Other times I'm taping it."

Langly watched the show with little interest. He said, "I'll be right back. I'm going to get my laptop."

He walked back to his room. He thought about how nice she was. She didn't seem to mind him being there, rather, she seemed to enjoy his company. He took his laptop back with him.

He sat down, turning the laptop on so he could check his email. Of course, Frohike had sent him another one.

From: "Melvin Frohike" frohike @magicbullet.com So you got yourself a girl, did you Punk Ass. She really nice, or just like you? Audrey said I should be nice, so I will be. I could say all sorts of mean things, but I won't. Good luck with her. We'll make room for her of course. Where do you think we'll get the funding to live in a bigger place, you dolt? I have thought of us moving too, I just don't know where we'll get the funding. Hope to hear the good news soon.

Frohike

Langly smiled. He knew that Frohike could have been a lot meaner, and had gotten a few stabs in any ways.

Some things would never change.

Mulder and Samantha came back. Samantha shouted, "We got him, Langly!"

Langly turned to see Samantha standing triumphantly.

He smiled at her. "Good. I'll send the email then," Mulder said, "Let me! I want to scare the pants off of Frohike."

Langly shook his head. He said, "Alright. Go ahead."

Josephine said, "I'm going to take Langly here out on the town. Some one should see this place."

Samantha smiled. "Langly, take my camera with you. I want as many pictures as you can take."

Langly rolled his eyes. "Alright, I'll do it. I just can't believe I'm taking pictures of a small town," Samantha said, "I want to remember the place."

Mulder shook his head. "Why? It's just like an other city in the USA. You're silly sometimes."

"I don't care. I want to show John where I've been the last few days." She stole a piece of bacon. "Now, scoot. We want those pictures as soon as possible."

Josephine looked at Langly. He gave her a weak smile, as if he was not pleased about the idea. She giggled.

"It'll be fun, I promise."

He nodded. He got up, "Let's get this done. The sooner the better."

Josephine said, "Alright. First things first, let's cruise down East College and go to the Market Street Mall. I look at this as a way of saying bye to Marshall. First, let me get dressed."

Langly nodded. He watched her disappear out of the room. Mulder smiled at him. "You know you'll enjoy the trip."

"Yeah. I just don't want to be taking pictures."

"Do it just for Samantha. I'm sure Josephine will want pictures of them any ways," Mulder said.

Langly sighed. "Alright. I will, but mark my words, don't you dare tell Frohike."

Mulder laughed. "That takes all the fun out of it."

Josephine came back. She was dressed in black jeans, with a hunter orange shirt on. It read 'Marshall Tigers' on the front. She smiled. "Couldn't help but wear this shirt."

Langly thought it looked nice on her, loud, but nice.

She said, "MHS, we'll have to tool on by just quick. I haven't plagued the school for a while. It'll be my last chance."

Mulder saw Langly sigh. He couldn't help but smile.

"Good Luck, you two."

Josephine said, "First things first, the Mall!"

Langly got up, following her out the door. He had the camera around his neck. "I'm not going to like this, Sam! I'm telling Doggbert when I get home," Samantha said, "Go ahead. He knows I'd take a lot of pictures."

He groaned. "You get your way all the time with him, don't you?"

"Yep. Now get going."

Josephine was dressed heavily for winter weather. She looked at Langly. He was only wearing a jacket. She said, "Stop right there! You'll need this. It's 40 below wind chills out! Don't be a baby about it. Shawn Cable said it's going to warm up soon."

Langly did as he was told. When things were ready to go, they took off. She pulled out of the driveway, not even coming close to hitting the utility pole by her drive way. They cruised down the street, Josephine being a tour guide.

Langly listened to her as she told him about the church they drove by, "Holy Redeemer. That's my church. I'm going to miss it. It's a beauty, but lacks a good heating system."

They drove down the street past the church. "That's the Plum Creek Library, and across the street is the Post Office. Up ahead is the Marshall 6. When I was a little girl, it was only 3. Now we get to the fun stuff. Prepare for Burger Alley. The Mall is there too."

Langly nodded. He was actually enjoying the tour. He had shot a few pictures for Samantha. She cruised down the street to the sign that said, "Market Street Mall."

"We'll go to On Cue. Good store for music, but expensive. Wal Mart is cheaper, but censors good stuff." They pulled into a parking space. "Now, this place is no Mall of America. Have you ever been there, Langly?"

"No. I've wanted to go, but Frohike wouldn't let us, besides we couldn't afford it," Langly said.

"I see. Alright, here we go. B Daltons right there, great book store." They continued through the mall.

Langly was walking faster than Josephine. She said, "Hey, slow down. I can't go that fast. I have arthritis in the knees."

Langly slowed to her pace. "Sorry." He watched her walk, noticing she took small steps. He thought it was cute.

"I can't help it. My stride doesn't get any bigger than this. I hate going this slow myself," she said.

They made it On Cue, and she walked into the store, walking with purpose to a section. "I want to see if they have any new Stones." She sorted through them.

"Darn. I have all of these. Go ahead, look around."

Langly did as he was told to do. He looked up some of his favorite bands. She said, "I see you like Aerosmith, and you like some of the rare eighties and seventies bands."

"Yeah. Frohike hates them."

"What does he listen to?" Josephine asked.

"What ever Audrey listens to now." Langly shrugged.

She said, "Let's go and see how many places are stores. I bet only half are actually stores. We'll swing by Hy Vee next."

Langly wondered what he was getting himself into. He rather enjoyed seeing Marshall, but it was an odd place. She had her shirt showing now, and he smiled.

It was a different shirt.

She said, "Come on! I'm the slow one here."

Langly followed her down the hall way in the mall. She said, "I count only five stores. That's pathetic.

Let's go and see Hy Vee. There's not much more to do here, but hey."

Langly walked out to the car with her. He was enjoying spending time with her. He got into the car, feeling the warmth take his body inside the car. The weather was horrible. She smiled at him. "Handling the cold well?"

"Not really," Langly said.

"Think of anything but the cold. You won't even really notice it at some point." She smiled at him. "This is fun."

"Hy Vee, shop Hy Vee, where there is a helpful smile, in every aisle!" She sang the jingle, smiling at him.

"I'm going to make you guys a real Midwestern meal. A good pot pie."

Langly nodded. He said, "Sounds good."

They drove up to the store, and Langly said, "That's a grocery store? What is inside?"

"A whole lot of stuff. Take a picture of what I like to call the Citadel," Josephine said. She walked out into the cold, barely noticing it.

He was chilled to the bone by the brutal wind. She smiled, "Come on big city boy. It's not that cold."

They made inside, and he said, "It's cold as hell out, are you kidding?"

"No, that's the warmest it's been in days. It's a heat wave!" She was pushing a cart through the large store, and Langly looked at the size of the store. It surprised him that the store was so huge for a small town like this.

She had her coat open again. A person shouted, "Josephine! Are you trying to live up to your MHS days? You suck up!"

Josephine shouted back, "Hey Mary, I'm going to visit the school in just a little while. Taking my friend here on a tour."

Mary approached them. "You always did have the eye for the long haired boys. Have fun."

Josephine smiled, "Yah betcha. You have fun too. I'm going to make a large supper for the crowd at my house."

"Oh?" Mary said.

"Yep. I better get going. I don't want to miss the school."

"You don't. Good luck."

Langly watched the conversation with amusement. She talked just like a Minnesotan. She turned, "Yah betcha, don'tcha know? Sure, you're thinking I'm a crazy hick."

"No. It's funny. I didn't know you really talked like that," Langly said.

"Oh sure, ya should learn Minnesotan, don'tcha know?"

She said. "We're almost finished here. Then we'll buzz the school. They can't give me detention, though Ms. Celander won't be happy with me."

She pushed her cart up to the check out. "I haven't had this much fun shopping for groceries in ages."

Langly smiled. "Glad I could make it fun."

"You get to help carry." She gave him a imploring smile.

He knew he had been had. He sighed. Of course he would help her carry the groceries out.

Hy Vee had been an adventure, and until Frohike saw the pictures, he wouldn't believe him. He grabbed a few bags. Josephine said, "Now, back out into the Arctic Zone."

They exited the store, going back to the car. They filled up the back seat, and drove to the school, not far from the store. She said, "MHS straight ahead.

Wait until the school gets a load of you!"

Frohike checked his email at Doggett's. He read an email from Mulder, and was surprised. Langly wasn't very lenient about his computer.

From: "Fox Mulder" Mulder @fbi.gov

Hey, Frohike! Great news! Jeremiah will be helping us out. Tell Dogg Man that his wife is going to need two photo albums. She trapped Langly into taking pictures of the town while Josephine gives him a tour. You better not be corrupting my children. Tell them Daddy misses them for me. I can't wait to be back with them.

Don't forget to spread the good news. Oh, and ask Skin Man when he is setting his date for marriage. I want to make sure I don't miss it.

Mulder

Frohike said, "Hey Doggett! It's from Mulder. He says that you'll have to buy another photo album."

Doggett rolled his eyes. "I thought I told her not to turn it into a tourist trip."

"Yeah, well, she seems to have done both. Poor Langly, she really tricked him into taking pictures for her."

Audrey said, "I can't wait until I meet this Josephine. She sounds like she might be fun to be around," Frohike said, "I hope he isn't bringing home another one like him. I can't take more than one of him."

Audrey giggled. "Mel, you're so mean."

"I am not," Frohike said.

Doggett said, "Will ya two stop it? I have to tell Dana the good news. Try not to hurt the children while I'm gone." He disappeared out the door.

Doggett shook his head. He knew that Samantha was going to come home with an entire photo album, if not more, and he smiled. It was just like her to do something like that. It was one of the things that endeared her to him.

He got into his car, driving away as quickly as he could. He wanted Dana to get the news as soon as possible. It was an important thing. He was sure that Scully would want to know right away.

He thanked God for allowing Byers to be there while he babysat. He knew that he might have killed Frohike a few times, maybe not really, but he certainly thought of it.

He sighed. He really missed Sam, even though he knew that she was safe and not on an alien ship. He still missed her when she was gone from him for any length of time.

He made it to the hospital, parking. He would make it up to her room, and deliver the good news to her. He knew where she was, how she felt about this impending death over her head. He remembered how he felt about it when he went through it. He couldn't imagine doing that twice.

Josephine pulled into the Visitor's Parking at the Marshall Senior High School. She said, "Hey, welcome to the school. Are you ready to be transported back in to time? I was an outcast, so I don't know why I'm even doing this."

Langly was amazed that she was an outcast. How could such a nice person being an outcast. She said, "Who designed this school? Some freaking Californian moron!"

The side walk up to the door was very very long. She said, "Get ready, it's a long walk from here to that door."

He followed her, trying to go her pace, and not freeze at the same time. He heard her curse her own slow pace. When they finally entered, she said, "Let's check into the office first."

They walked into the office, right across from the entrance. She said, "Hi, we're visitors to the school.

I thought I'd let you know we are here."

The secretary behind the desk nodded. "Sign in here."

Josephine signed the paper, and Langly followed suit.

She saw his first name. "Ringo?"

"Yeah. I hate being called Richard."

"Alright, what ever suits you best. Let's go." She suppressed a giggle.

She walked down the hall, seeing the signs for games and dances. She turned to him, "I never went to any of those. Wasn't interested in them, and not only that, I always ended up feeling like I wasn't doing something I should be doing. I'm a workaholic, I admit it."

They walked towards the cafeteria. She said, "Tiger Cafe. That sign is still here?"

A radio station blared into the cafeteria. She heard new music. "Aww, today they play KKCK. Why? I hate that station."

The dish room stood in the back of the cafeteria.

Little round blue tables with students filled the room. She said, "I sat there to the right of the dish room with the friend that showed up the other night.

That table to the left was where I sat by myself to finish my senior year. Pretty sad, huh?"

Langly felt sorry for her. She shouldn't have had to live like that. She sighed, "Let's see if we can disrupt Grabau's class."

She walked the main hallway. He saw the lockers. They were small and red. She stood by a locker that had once been hers. "This was mine. I'm still shorter than the lockers. That is sad."

He thought she was cute at her height. It was just right. He followed her into a sub hallway. She whispered, "This is the E-wing." She walked up to a room, knocking on the door. A man opened the door. She said, "Grabau."

Grabau said, "How are you doing?"

"I'm a political analyst. I finally made it. I'm moving to D.C. I thought I'd say bye before I take off," Josephine said.

"Oh? Good luck then."

"Torturing those kids in there?"

"Yeah, write a letter to a person in power. It's fun, but hey."

"Have fun. Mrs. Ahmann still here?"

"She left a couple of years ago."

"Oh come on."

"Yeah. I'm the oldest one here now. I still haven't gotten my raise."

"Still out for that are you. Well, good luck."

"You too."

She turned around, walking back out the hall. "Let's get out of here. The ghosts of my past are haunting too close."

Langly nodded. They went back out to the car. She sighed when she entered the drivers seat. "Did you get enough pictures?"

"Yep."

"Good."

Father McQue walked into Scully room. She had her back turned to him. He said softly, "Dana."

She turned over in the bed to face him, her face streaked with tears. "Oh Father."

He sat down in the chair next to the bed. He said, "Tell me what you are feeling, my daughter."

"I'm so terribly afraid, Father. I, I'm dying again, and I can't bear to leave them behind. I don't want to die." She bit her lip to stop herself from crying.

"I know. I know. Tell me more."

"I did this once, I shouldn't have to do it again. I don't value life any less, I don't take it for granted. I, I don't understand why I must face this death alone."

"You're not alone. You have Mulder, and Alex, and a number of other people who care for you."

"I feel so afraid and lost. I try so hard to do so much good, and something always happens to make things wrong. It hurts to know that if I die, Mulder might try to follow me," she started to sob.

"I know. I know you fear for him."

"I do more than fear for him. I ache for him to be happy. I know that if I die, he will never be happy again. He will never be happy again."

Father McQue put a hand on her shoulder. "You can't blame yourself for your disease. It is not in your hands."

Doggett stood in the door way. "Dana, they got him."

Scully looked over to Doggett. She asked through sobs.

"They got him to help me?"

"Yes. Said they'd be here soon," Doggett said softly.

Father McQue said, "God has certainly blessed you.

Scully nodded her head yes, tears welling up in her eyes. She started to cry, unable to hold back her tears and emotions any longer. Doggett sat down on the bed next to her, taking her into his arms.

"Things are goin' to be alright now, Dana. They are on their way. Things will be alright," Doggett said softly in her ear.

"I, I don't know what to say. I never want to face this again. Ever." She sobbed into his shoulder. "I can't face something like this ever again."

Doggett rocked her, "You won't ever have to, you'll be able to go on. Thank God for it."

Father McQue said, "Thank God for it is right. You have been blessed with a miracle, Dana." He got up.

"I'm finished here."

Doggett watched the man leave. He held Scully close to him, trying to let her let go of all her pent up emotions. She said, "Thank you, John. You don't know what this means to me."

"I think I do," Doggett said. "I remember facing death like this, and I nearly was dead. I know where you are, and how the good news effects you," she said, "I guess you do. I just want it to be over."

Mulder sat down in the kitchen with his sister. He said, "Sam, how did you know he was an alien?"

"He's one of the first AHH's that started out alien and not human. They put him in a human body, and just like I must go back for testing sessions, he is advanced with his sessions. He is tested on with higher skills much sooner. Good thing I'm already up to his caliber, though I can't shape shift. I will in time. Come, let's go for a walk. I'll even heat things up."

Mulder sighed. "Alright, sis."

They exited into the cold. She heated it up, and looked across the street. A man was shoveling snow.

Mulder saw her eyes widen. She said to his mind, [Back inside, now.]

Mulder headed back inside. Once they were both inside, Mulder asked, "What is it, Sam?"

"That man across the street is ABH. When those two get back, we have to hightail it to Jeremiah's and get out of town. I'll tow us all in super speed if I have too.

That ABH's mission is to destroy Jeremiah."

Mulder cursed. He called Langly's cell that he had when he traveled without his laptop.

Langly answered, and Mulder said, "Get back here. We have trouble," Mulder said, "We're going to have to get Josephine's stuff later. Marshall is no longer safe, and Josephine no longer safe in it. I hate to do this to her."

"She wants to leave any ways. Believe me. She's got enough pictures. You, grab Langly's laptop. He wouldn't dream of leaving without it, even if there was a nuclear war head to be dropped in 2 seconds."

Samantha ordered her brother.

Mulder grabbed it. "I'll cloak, you search for their car. We should get them before that ABH can see them."

"Good plan." She snuck out the front door quietly.

Mulder had them covered, and they sped down the sidewalk. Samantha said, "Fox, I'm going to float you.

You'll fall for sure if I don't."

Mulder nodded. He felt himself start to rise, and she ran. He felt as if he was flying. He said, "I spot them. Get that car to stop."

Samantha made Josephine slam on the brakes with her mind. The car jarred, but both were safe. Mulder decloaked for a second, letting them know it was safe.

He said, "Drive to Jeremiah's. We have no time."

Josephine did as she was told. She made it to the brick house. Mulder ran up cloaked. He pounded on the door, and it opened. Jeremiah peeked his head out.

Mulder grabbed him, pulling him to the car.

"Drive Josephine. We have to get out of here, and now," Mulder said. "Sorry for the abduction. An ABH is on that block, and we have to get going before he decides to do what ever it is he is sent to do."

Jeremiah nodded. "He would more than likely show up and kill me. Using that filthy tool, I'd presume."

"I use it on him on a regular basis. There just seems to be always more," Mulder said.

Langly watched in fascination as the tranquil day turned into one of panic. "Hand me my laptop, Mulder."

Samantha cursed. "My diary! I have to get that back.

With it they can find out everything."

Mulder turned to look at her. "Sam, don't."

"I have to," she said. "Stop the car."

Josephine did as told. They watched as Samantha ran down the street, blurring as her speed increased, and disappearing all together. Mulder heard her say in his mind, [If I'm not back in 10, get my diary.] They sat waiting. Mulder noticed that 10 minutes had gone by. He cursed. "We have to get that diary.

Langly, you're going to have to get it. I have to keep Jeremiah safe."

Langly nodded. He said, "I'll be right back, I hope."

He got out of the car, and Josephine followed. Langly said, "You shouldn't do this."

"I'm not afraid. Besides, I know this house inside and out. Don't try to tell me I can't get this. You need someone to watch your back." She looked defiantly at Langly.

They walked into the house, Josephine first. She said, "Up stairs in the room." Langly followed her upstairs to the guest room Mulder and Samantha had stayed in.

She said, "There. There it is. There is a page open.

I'll let Mulder read it." She grabbed the diary.

Langly watched her walk down the stairs. She said, "Come on, let's go!"

They made it back to the car. Josephine made it into the driver's seat. She handed the diary to Mulder.

"She wrote something. I thought it'd be best for you to read it."

Mulder took it from her. He read aloud: Fox, Save Dana. Get Jeremiah Smith to her as soon as you possibly can. I took his place for testing session. I was allowed only to write this to you. Tell John that I love him and will be back soon. Don't let him do anything rash. You will have to move Josephine's stuff later. Take her with you, she is no longer safe, and by default has become a part of the Resistance. I do what I must. Please understand this.

Love, Samantha

Mulder cursed. He said, "This is stupid! She didn't have to do that!" He closed the diary, sitting back.

He stared out the window. "Doggett is going to kill me!"

Langly said, "Mulder, it's not your fault. I'm sure he'll understand you could do nothing about it."

"Like hell he will! I was supposed to keep her safe," Mulder said.

Jeremiah said, "I have to thank you for doing what you are doing. Samantha's sacrifice is going to help things out. I'm sorry she had to do this."

"Yeah, but you're not the one telling John Doggett his wife is on an Alien space craft getting tested on."

Mulder was very upset about the whole thing. "She shouldn't have done that."

Josephine was quiet through out all of this. She said suddenly, "I'll try to lose anyone who might be tracking. You have tickets for Minneapolis to D.C.?"

"Yes," Mulder said, his voice tight.

"We're going to Sioux Falls. They can get us to an airport that will get us to D.C. We can't afford to have anyone else abducted," she said it with purpose and command.

"Fine. Take us to Sioux Falls."



From: Allison Broesder Date: Mon, 30 July 2001 23:58:38 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Shattered Halcyon (4/?) by Cinnamon Scully Happiness Found, Sorrow Begotten

Title: Shattered Halcyon (Part 4: Happiness Found, Sorrow Begotten

Author: Cinnamon Scully

Category: MSR, Doggett/other, Angst, Conspiracy Disclaimer: I do not own these characters except the ones I made up. Don't sue.

Archive..just ask me

Feed Back: A MUST

The Cancer Man was thinking about what Samantha had told him a long time ago. He was dying of cancer, lung cancer to be precise. He knew that he didn't have long, not unless he could get a hold of the now cure all AHH blood. Without it, he would die.

He knew that he didn't stand a chance of abducting Mulder or one of his children, nor did he have a chance of abducting Samantha or Andy. That had failed in the first place. He feared the worst, still trying to find an answer that would never come.

He smoked as he thought, flicking ashes down on the ground in front of him. He was lost in thought, trying to figure out how he would heal himself. He knew that Scully was left terminally ill, now all he would have to do is use what they used to heal her. But how? That was the question he was left with now.

Marita said, her voice throaty and behind him, "You could make Alex do a transfusion. Abduct his little girl, and make it impossible for him to abduct the child back. Tell him the only way to get the child back would be to have an AHH transfuse with you."

"He'd never go for it."

"He loves that little girl. I should know. He basically man handled me to get the brat back. All you have to do is make sure she is inaccessible to him, demand a transfusion, and screw him over in the end.

Kill the child, or send the child off to tests with the aliens. You won't be testing her, They will be."

Cancer Man threw the cigarette he had to the ground.

He lit another one. "I first want to try the cure they are doing for Scully. If I can get my hands on it, I'll be fine. I know it's not AHH blood."

"I know who it is. You'll want to get a hold of this man any ways." Marita said.

"Who is it?" Cancer Man said, coughing.

"Jeremiah Smith. He could solve a lot of your problems. You could force him to work for you." Marita said, getting up. She walked towards Cancer Man.

"Besides, without him, others may die. Others that may hurt the Project."

Cancer Man let a wisp of smoke go. He looked rather sickly in the light they sat in. He turned to look at Marita. "Yes, yes I could. My back up plan is to get Alex's little girl. I could always get him to work for me if I never gave his girl back to me."

Marita smiled at him. "Yes, yes you could. I could have him back then. I like your plans. Save yourself, and wreck the lives they have tried to build for the past five years. It's excellent."

Cancer Man got up. "I need to see how tests are going today. You'll have to excuse me."

Marita nodded. "By all means, go." She watched him go, a smile of triumph crossing her lips. She would have Alex Krycek where she wanted him and this time she would win. This time Jane would lose to her. She would make sure of it.

Frohike hit his head in frustration. "I forgot something at home. I'll be right back," Doggett said, "I'll go with you. Audrey, stay here with the kids."

Audrey looked pouty. Doggett said, "I can't run that machine in case we get some information. You can." Her face lit up.

Doggett and Frohike got into Doggett's car. They drove to the Gunmen's. Doggett said, "Let's hope things are going to go well."

"No kidding." Frohike stepped out of the car. A blonde man stood in front of the door. Frohike groaned. "Not you."

The blonde man turned to see Frohike standing there.

"Frohike?" The man smiled. He ran up to hug Frohike.

Frohike pushed him away. The man finally noticed Doggett. "Whoa, they turned Mulder into the Liquid Metal Guy from Terminator. Dude, that's bad."

Doggett smiled. The man obviously wasn't the brightest bulb in the box. Frohike said, "Jimmy, no. That's John Doggett. Totally different man."

Jimmy looked confused. He suddenly nodded his head, and extended his hand. "Jimmy Bond. Friends just call me Jimmy."

Doggett smiled even bigger. This guy had parents with a sense of humor. Frohike said, "What are you doing back here. We haven't seen you in years."

"I was busy doing something important. I was in the neighborhood, and I thought I'd stop by and see how you guys were doing." Jimmy said.

Frohike rolled his eyes. "We're here to pick something up. We have to get back to his place." He pointed to Doggett. Doggett waved at Jimmy, so that he would get it.

Jimmy nodded his response, to indicate he had understood. He followed them inside. Doggett thought it was funny that Frohike had a follower.

Jimmy asked, "What are you three up to these days?"

Frohike turned to him. "None of your business, Jimmy," Doggett said, "Now Frohike, be nice to the man. We're busy doing some government stuff. It's very important.

Can't be discussed."

Jimmy looked confused. "I thought you tried to expose that type of thing." At least he had one thing right.

"Yeah, but we work with the good government guys.

Mulder is one. Doggett is another," Frohike said.

"Damn you, Langly! You took that with you, didn't you?"

Jimmy said, "Is Langly around?"

"No. He's off with Mulder on a mission," Frohike said.

"Doggett, we're going to have to make do with out this. I'm going to beat that Punk Ass when he gets home."

Doggett shook his head. "We'd better get back before Audrey does something irreparable." Frohike glared at him, and shook his head in Jimmy's direction. Doggett nodded.

They climbed back into Doggett's car. Jimmy followed.

Frohike rolled his eyes. Jimmy would be a tag along again. He hated that. Doggett smiled. For once someone would annoy him instead of him annoying someone.

When they arrived to Sioux Falls, Josephine said, "Let's get to the airport as soon as possible."

She drove to the Sioux Falls airport. She asked the woman behind the desk, "I need a flight out to D.C."

"I'm sorry, none of our flights are flying to D.C.

today. The flight that leaves for D.C. leaves tomorrow." The lady said.

Josephine groaned. This was bad. She walked back to the car. "Bad news. Hotels for the night. I'm pairing us up logically. Mulder and Jeremiah will share a room and adjoining your room will be Langly and me. I can't get around it, so let's just live with it. Don't go using your F.B.I. ability, Mulder. That'll give us away if you storm in there and direct a flight."

Mulder nodded. Josephine had a good head on her shoulders. He said, "Take us to the best hotel in town."

"Holiday Inn downtown. I'm telling you, it's the best." She drove down to the Holiday Inn, and got out.

"Stay here. They might not like you guys ordering a room up. Not Midwestern, and they may get suspicious.

Besides, you don't want to end up on KELO Land television. They'll yack about your room and how it smelled after you left for a week. I'll make the room arrangements."

Mulder wondered if she was a natural spy. She could possibly out do Krycek at his own game. She slipped inside the building. Mulder turned to Langly, "You sure she's even going to have a problem with Frohike?"

Langly shook his head. "I don't know. She thinks fast on her feet."

"I'll give you that," Mulder said.

Josephine came back. "Okay, I got those rooms. Now, all I have in the trunk are some groceries we picked up to make a meal earlier. Damn. Langly, use your laptop as something you need. We don't necessarily need luggage. We're fine the way we are, I guess."

They got out, following Josephine down the hall to their rooms. She said, "This is it. You two take these, and Langly and I will take these. Langly, we'll play married couple. Hmm, Mulder, Jeremiah, I don't know what to do about you two. How about our friends and we're here visiting family. There, we're covered."

Mulder was amazed at how quickly she came up with ID's for everyone. He said, "What are we signed under?"

"I signed in as Mr. and Mrs. Richards. I took your first name, Langly. Mulder, you'll be fine. We have a Mulder out here. Pose as Matt for me. Jeremiah, hmm, let me think about you for a bit."

Mulder smiled. "Alright. I'm Matt Mulder. Okay," she said, "Got it! You be John Gifford. It'll have to do. Not my best espionage. It'll have to do."

They went into their rooms. Langly sat down to email Frohike telling him there was a bit of a problem, and that they would be arriving shortly.

Josephine asked, "Are you comfortable with the accommodations?"

"Yeah. What choice do we have?" Langly smiled at her.

"You're really good."

"You learn by watching and learning. I watched my classmates for years. Learned how to double deal there. It's a good skill, but a nasty habit."

He nodded. "I understand your feeling there. Let's get to work, and try to relax. It's been a wild day."

"Tell me about it."

"So, Jimmy, how did you manage to meet the Gunmen here?" Doggett asked.

"I meet them once when I coached a blind football team. Still mad about being screwed over by those lying men. They helped me out. Simple as that." Jimmy said, smiling.

Doggett could only think that Samantha would like this guy. She'd more than likely feel sorry for him, and why shouldn't she? He said, "That's too bad about that."

Frohike glared at him the whole way home. He winked at Frohike, making Frohike turn around and look out the window. When they arrived, Doggett said, "Sh everyone.

Last time I checked, Alexa was still asleep."

They crept into the house quietly. What they saw was not what they were expecting. Audrey lay on the floor knocked out. Frohike rushed to her. "Audrey?" She was alive.

Doggett said, "Alexa, she's not here!"

Audrey groaned, and Frohike said, "Audrey, it's Mel.

Can you hear me?"

She shook her head, "A man, I think ABH came in, and hit me."

Doggett cursed. "I'm the one stuck telling Krycek his little girl was taken. Damn. Did he say anything at all, Audrey?"

"No. He hit me, grabbed the little girl, and left."

She sat up, groggy. "Mel, I'm so dizzy."

Frohike helped her up, supporting her. He lead her to the sofa, sitting her down. Jimmy watched with a confused look on his face. He asked, "Who is this, Frohike?"

"Audrey. Oh why am I telling you anything?" He was upset, not only about Audrey, but about Alexa being abducted. He knelt down looking into Audrey's face.

"Are you going to be alright?"

"Yeah. I'm going to be fine," Audrey said. She passed out suddenly, Frohike catching her in his arms.

"Doggett, help me here. Get her somewhere she can lay down and get more comfortable. Call someone, anything."

Doggett rushed to the phone. He dialed 911. "This is Special Agent John Doggett of the F.B.I. I have a civilian down at my residence. I am requesting an ambulance. Yes. Thank you." He turned to Frohike.

"They are on their way. Let's pack up the kids."

Frohike groaned. "Why can't anything ever go right?"

He didn't notice the email that Langly sent. Jimmy did though.

"Frohike, there is a message thing going off." Jimmy pointed to the computer.

Frohike said, "Alright. I'll check this stupid thing before they show up." He read the message. "Doggett, they had a problem."

"Sam in trouble?" Doggett asked, a pit of worry growing in his stomach.

"Doesn't say. Just says there is a delay. They'll be in tomorrow morning at the earliest," Frohike said.

Doggett sighed. "You take Audrey to the hospital when the ambulance shows up. I'm going to talk to Krycek.

Tell him his girl is missing. I'll take the kids with me."

Frohike nodded. "Good luck, Doggett."

Doggett nodded. "That is an understatement. I'm going to need heavy protection when I tell him this news."

Josephine laid down on the bed in the room. She yawned. "Nap time." She curled up into a ball, knees pulled into chest. She was cold. Langly could tell.

She pulled a blanket over herself.

He wondered what Frohike would think of Josephine posing as his wife. It made him blush for a moment.

She looked peaceful sleeping on the bed. He hoped that the peace would stay.

A soft knock came to the door. A bell hop stood on the other side. "Mr. Richards. I'm here to offer you tickets to the dinner in the hotel restaurant."

Langly nodded. "I'll take them."

"Thank you, Mr. Richards." The bell hop left. He sat back down to his laptop, to try and see if there was anything to look up. He saw Josephine had stretched out on the bed.

He would take her out to dinner to thank her for all she had done today. It had been difficult for her to say goodbye to Marshall, and now to do so more quickly was tough. He knew that she had put her life on the line to protect them.

He closed his laptop. He cursed. The room had only one bed. Someone would have to take the floor. He most likely would end up on the floor.

Josephine sighed in her sleep. She looked peaceful, and her bright orange t-shirt was still on. He smiled.

It was a goofy shirt for a spy to wear. She seemed to be more than just a political analyst.

He turned on the television. A news program was on.

This had to be KELO Land news that Josephine had been talking about. He saw the lovely weather report. She had been right, this was a heat wave they were experiencing.

Mulder stepped through the adjoining door. "Do they know?"

"Frohike you mean? I only told them we would be delayed," Langly said.

"I see. She looks tired," Mulder said.

"Yeah. I'm taking her out to the hotel restaurant as a thank you," Langly said.

"I think you mean it as a bit more than just a thank you," Mulder said, smiling at him.

"Yeah. I guess I might be. She's different, you know?"

Langly said.

Mulder sat down in another hotel chair. "I noticed.

She's very different than most stereo types of Midwesterners."

"She said not to listen to stereo types. I think she's right. Do either of us fit a stereo type?" Langly asked.

"No. I wish you luck with her. You deserve it," Mulder said, patting Langly on the shoulder.

Langly said, "Thanks."

He hoped that she would enjoy going to dinner with him. It wouldn't be much longer till dinner. He sighed. He figured he should get ready for dinner.

Though he had nothing to change into, he would do what he could.

Doggett found where Krycek was sitting with Scully. He stepped into the room. "Krycek, I have to see you."

Krycek got up, following Doggett. He saw all the children, all except Alexa. He asked, "What is it, Doggett?"

"Frohike and I went to get a piece of equipment, but when we returned, Alexa was missing. Audrey was hit, and is now in the hospital. I didn't think I could sugar coat it for you."

"That stupid bitch! I'll kill her. She went way too far this time." Krycek growled. "I got my baby girl back from her once, I'll do it again." He cursed in Russian.

Doggett said softly, "I know what you're going through. Let's hope that nothing stupid has happened.

I don't want to think about what could happen, nor do I want you to do so either."

"How is Audrey?" Krycek stopped pacing.

"Don't know yet. I rushed down here to tell you what has happened. You better tell Jane the bad news," Doggett said, picking up Andy. He held Andy close, not willing to let the boy go.

Krycek turned pained eyes towards Doggett. "My wife isn't going to handle this well at all. Why did this have to happen now?" He was really upset about this.

"I don't know. You better figure out soon though.

Mulduh had a delay and won't be in till tomorrow mornin' at the earliest."

"Murphy's Law. What can go wrong, will. I don't like this. Some one is setting something up." Krycek said.

Doggett nodded. "I don't know what all the delay reasons are, all I know is that they are delayed, and that is a bad thing. I'll tell you more when I know."

Krycek nodded, eyes closed. "Jane and I might stop by later on. I've been here as protection. I can easily get some one to stand in, right?"

"I'll take your place if I have too," Doggett said.

"Hmm, I don't know. Maybe get a hold of Skin Man. We have to do something here. He should know any ways.

Damn it!"

Doggett said, "Alright. I'll give Skinner a call as soon as I get home. You do what you must. We'll get her back. I promise you that."

Krycek watched Doggett walk away. His shoulders were squared and he walked with purpose. He knew that Doggett felt guilty for leaving the child alone and getting abducted. Seemed that he and Doggett were in the same boat. Guilt for pasts that could never be changed.

Langly tapped Josephine awake. She opened her eyes, shaking her head. "I'm up, I'm up. What are we doing now?"

"I'm taking you to dinner. That's what we are doing."

Langly said softly.

"Oh? I hope it is." She got up. "Oh dear. I look terrible." She brushed her hair with her fingers for a moment. Langly thought she looked wonderful, not terrible.

"Let's go," Langly said.

They stepped out into the hall. She took his arm, whispering, "I have bad ankles remember? We also have to play our part. Don't over act, alright?"

Langly nodded. They made it to the hotel restaurant.

She sat down at the table that was reserved for them.

Langly sat down across from her. He thought it was an odd thing he was doing.

She looked around. "I don't feel out of place just yet. I'm thinking D.C. will be just as big as I remember it to be. That place is so beautiful."

Langly nodded. "It hasn't changed. Big as always."

"Good. I absolutely hated the Ronald Reagan building.

Boring! We went to that instead of the FBI building, can you believe that? Not to mention what I think of Ronnie Reagans any ways. Trickle down theory my ass. How about Archie Bunker's Tinkle Down theory instead."

Langly smiled. He said, "I agree with you there."

"Bush tried to do the same thing. Fool. Tax cuts that are larger than the budget is terrible," Josephine said.

He saw her face light up when she talked about politics. He liked how her blue eyes lit up with excitement. She was really interested in the subject.

A waiter came by, asking what they would like to eat.

They ordered, and Langly said, "So, when you get to D.C. what will you do first?"

"Hmm, kiss the ground? Gawk like all Midwestern girls do at the big city? At least we are not going by bus.

I spent 9 hours on the side of a road by C&O canal because of a flat tire. At least it was as we were leaving D.C. That would have killed me to not see D.C."

Langly laughed. "What happened while you were on the side of the road?"

"I got sick, almost passed out. It was horrible. It was 90 degrees, and I was shivering from rubbing ice on my wrists to cool myself down. It was awful! We finally made it to a hotel at about 2 in the morning that night. We had our flat two in the afternoon. At 11 at night we finally received help."

"That's horrible."

"We weren't an emergency," Josephine said. "I'll never forget it."

Langly smiled. "I bet you won't."

"They were served their meals, and as they ate, they conversed about everything and nothing. They both enjoyed the other's company very much.

Frohike stood by Audrey's bed in the hospital room.

They had gotten her stabilized, and in a bed. He was very upset. Audrey was small to begin with, now she looked even smaller. He held her hand, hoping that things would be alright, and cursing himself for leaving.

He noticed that behind her ear there was a puncture mark there. He cursed, they had drugged her. He was unaware that Jimmy Bond sat watching him.

Jimmy was curious as to why Frohike was so concerned about this girl. He didn't know what to expect when he had shown up at the Gunmen's house, but certainly nothing like this. He asked, "Who is she, Frohike?"

"None of your business." Frohike was already upset, he didn't need to explain to Jimmy who Audrey was. He turned to look at Jimmy. Jimmy looked sad.

Jimmy said, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to do anything wrong. I'll go if you want."

Frohike sighed. "Jimmy, you don't have to go." He felt sorry for Jimmy. He knew that Jimmy didn't mean to screw up things.

Jimmy's face lit up. "Really?"

Frohike rolled his eyes, turning back to Audrey. "This is Audrey. She's my girlfriend." He didn't want to see Jimmy's confused face.

"Really? That's cool." Jimmy said.

Doggett walked into the room. He said, "I told him. He didn't take it very well." He sighed.

Frohike said, "They drugged Audrey. She wasn't just hit, they injected her with drugs. I hope that is all they did. I don't feel like telling Melanie that Byers really is chasing after the woman who lead to us forming in the first place."

Doggett nodded. "Read it in Mulduh's file. Don't have to say much more. They find anything else wrong with her?"

"Not that I know of. I hope that Krycek didn't go berserk when you told him," Frohike said softly.

Doggett looked at the floor. He looked ashamed about all of this. "He was very very angry. If Marita and that Smoking Bastard aren't careful, they'll have him blowing the backs of their heads off. Can't put it any other way. If we only had Samantha with us right now, things wouldn't be in this mess."

Frohike nodded. "I agree. Let's hope things calm down soon. I can't take much more excitement. I'm going to stay with her. Why don't you take the kids home. They don't need to spend time at the hospital some more.

Make Byers and Melanie help out."

Jimmy asked, "What should I do?"

Doggett said, "Why don't you come with me. We could use some help, and I'm sure Frohike would like some time alone with Audrey."

Jimmy got up. "See you later, Frohike."

"See you, Jimmy," Frohike said.

Doggett said, "Now, when we get home to my place, I'll try and get a hold of Mulder. Too bad Langly is gone.

He could get a hold of him so much easier. I wish that Mulder didn't have his cell phone shut off. Langly is the only connection. I'll get Byers to help me."

Jimmy nodded. He didn't understand anything going on, but that was to be expected. He followed Doggett and the children to the car. "So, what is exactly going on?"

"Chaos."

When dinner finished, they went back to their room.

Langly said, "I suppose we should get some sleep. I should check my mail before that, too."

Josephine sighed. "There is only one bed in this room.

Oh well."

Langly was about to say something when she disappeared into the bathroom. He heard water running. She was taking a shower. He sat down, checking his messages from Frohike. He read:

From: "Melvin Frohike" frohike @magicbullet.com Bad news, Punk Ass. Audrey was attacked and rushed to the hospital. Alexa was abducted, Krycek on the war path. Get home soon! We need Mulder and Samantha's help. Jimmy Bond showed up today on top of it. Things get any worse, and I don't know what I'll do. Tell Mulder what happened.

Frohike

Langly cursed. "God dammit!" He walked to the door separating the rooms. He knocked.

Mulder opened the door. He asked, "What is it, Langly?"

"Come here." Langly let him read the email.

Mulder cursed. "What do we tell him? We don't have Samantha anymore? She was abducted? I can't tell him over the internet."

"We'll just have to tell him that we'll be there as soon as possible. Langly said.

"Yeah. Who is Jimmy Bond?" Mulder asked.

"A really annoying man who we thought we made go away a while ago." Langly sighed.

"I hope that Alexa will be alright. This has become a disaster." Mulder ran a hand through his hair. "I want to fix everything. This is ridiculous," he started to pace back and forth.

Langly said, "I wonder what is going on. Things can't get much worse."

"Oh believe me. Things can always get worse," Mulder said.

"True." Langly sighed. "I only hope that Yves doesn't get involved."

"Who?"

"Yves Harlow. She's a good computer hacker, but she manages to do things for her own profit," Langly said.

"She never does anything without expecting a profit or something in return."

"Paid assassin?" Mulder asked.

"I don't know all of her jobs," Langly said.

"Sounds like what Krycek used to be."

"He's better than she ever was. She still always got her profit though."

Mulder smiled. "Alright, we'll have to get our rest and in the morning get on that flight. Sooner we arrive to D.C., the better."

Josephine stepped out of the bathroom wearing what she had arrived in. She was combing her waist long hair out, and humming a tune. She jumped when she saw Mulder and Langly stare at her. She asked, "What?"

Mulder said, "I'll see you two in the morning. Get some rest, it's going to be a busy day tomorrow."

Mulder went back into his room.

She asked, "What is it, Langly?" She combed her hair out, splashing water onto the carpet.

"Nothing." He turned away, blushing. She said, "I'm too wired to sleep just yet. I'll find something to watch. Damn, these channels aren't going to be the same as at home."

She flopped herself onto the bed, flipping through channels. "Hotel TV sucks." She yawned. "Alright, maybe I am tired enough to go to sleep."

Langly looked at the one bed. He sighed. He was going to have a stiff neck in the morning. He got up to take some pillows from the bed. She raised one eyebrow.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm just making a bed on the floor," Langly said.

"No you're not. I hate when I get the bed and force someone to sleep on the floor. That friend that screwed me over and I had this fight when she lived with me for awhile. I didn't have very many bedrooms set up then. You are not sleeping on the floor. I'll never sleep if you do."

Langly stopped what he was doing. "But your friend was a woman."

"Yeah, a lesbian too. I think I can handle it. If we're going to get some sleep, we better both be comfortable. No other reason I can find."

Langly sighed. "Alright. Scoot over then."

She moved over. She had already gotten comfortable.

"I'll comb my hair and braid it. I can never braid my hair well enough for bed. It always falls out during the night."

"I know how to braid."

"So you should. You're hair is long enough. Would you?" She made a pouty face.

"Sure."

She turned around, and he combed her long hair. It made him want to take better care of his own hair. He braided it, and she said, "Thanks. Now we can go to sleep."

She rolled over, facing away from him. He noticed that she left most of the bed open for him. She took up almost no space. He sighed. He hoped they would get to D.C. soon.

She was asleep, he could tell by her breathing. He sighed, rolling over onto his back, staring at the ceiling. He worried about what was happening in D.C.

He knew that something was wrong with Audrey, and that Alexa was missing. That would upset Frohike a lot. He finally fell asleep.

When they made it back to Doggett's, Doggett said, "Get to bed, you guys. It's nightfall, and we've had a long day. Now." The children did as told, though they looked disappointed.

Doggett put a pot of coffee on. "I have a funny feelin' we're going to be up late."

The door opened, Byers and Melanie walking through the door. Byers asked, "Where's Frohike and Audrey? Jimmy?"

Doggett said, "Frohike and Audrey are at the hospital.

Alexa was abducted. Stay away from Krycek. He's very angry right now."

Byers nodded. "Have you gotten a hold of Langly and Mulder?"

"Yep. Just did that," Doggett said. "Frohike sent a quick message before the ambulance took off."

Byers nodded. "Any news about when they'll be back in town?"

"Not that I know of," Doggett said. "Melanie, you want any coffee?"

Melanie smiled at Doggett. "I would love some, John."

Doggett went into the kitchen. He said, "Catch up with Jimmy while I get coffee."

Byers said, "So, Jimmy, what brings you here?"

Jimmy smiled. "I was just in the area, and I thought I'd see what my favorite heroes were up to. You know, for old times sake."

Byers smiled back at him. Jimmy may not always do the best thing, but he certainly meant well. He said, "Basically we're working on a project with these people. I don't know if you've heard about it Jimmy."

Jimmy said, "Don't know what you're working on."

Byers looked at Doggett standing in the door way, cups in his hands. He nodded, giving his approval. "Jimmy, we're involved in something called the Resistance.

It's the Resistance of governments hiding the existence of aliens, as well Resisting the aliens."

Jimmy looked confused. He asked, "How come you're working with government agents?"

"These people are involved because of, well how do I put this?" Byers said thinking.

Doggett handed a cup of coffee to Melanie. He said, "Byers, simply put it as this. Samantha Mulduh. That's how. Without her, a lot of us wouldn't even be involved with it." He sipped his coffee.

Jimmy looked confused. "Who?"

"My wife. She's the one that connects the Gunmen with us government agents. Through their meeting with Mulduh almost 15 years ago, and his search for his sister brought us to where we are today," Doggett said.

Jimmy nodded his understanding. He said, "So, you're the good guys."

"Yep, and we're out to get the bad guys." He hoped that he was making this an understanding for Jimmy.

Byers said, "I forgot something at home. I can't believe I did this."

Doggett rolled his eyes. "Let's pack everyone up. I don't want to take any chances."

Krycek found Jane dozing in a chair in the hallway. He had gone to call Skinner, and also to get some of his anger out. He touched her cheek. She opened her eyes.

"What's going on, Alex?"

"Stay sitting. You're going to want to be sitting to hear this." Krycek said, his eyes down cast.

"What is it, Alex?" Jane asked, alarm filling her voice.

"Alexa. They took her from Doggett's. I'm sorry."

Krycek said. He looked away from her, guilt filling him. He felt as if he was the one to blame for Alexa's abduction.

Jane got up. She wrapped her arms around him from behind. "We'll get our baby girl back. I'm scared too."

Krycek whispered, "I can't sit back and let our baby girl be hurt or worse. I can't."

Jane said, "I know you can't. Wait until Mulder and Samantha get back. Don't run off into something where you could get yourself killed. I don't doubt you, Alex. I just know you are acting on pure emotions right now. I can't lose the both of you, besides."

Krycek turned around in her arms. "I know you can't. I just wish I could do something besides sit here. I have a funny reason that Mulder was delayed because of something other than a flight delay. I don't think that it would have been a problem for him to direct a flight."

Jane said, "Do you think they ran into some problems?"

"Yeah. Jeremiah might have refused to do this. They might be taking longer to talk him into it. I don't know. It just seems like all the wonderful times together with all of us has been shattered to pieces.

We had rose colored glasses on. I should have seen this shit storm coming." He closed his eyes.

Jane sighed. "Alex, you can't predict everything."

"That's just it! I probably had clues to this happening a long time ago. I just never opened my eyes to it. I never let myself see them. Now our halcyon is shattered into a million different shards. I can't stand to stand here and see everything I've worked for disappear. It's just not happening." He was upset again.

Jane said, "Alex, calm down. I'm sure that we'll find Alexa safe and fine. She's just as bad as you are at confusing people. She's just as good as you at manipulating people to do as she wants them to do."

"Jane, face up. If Cancer Man has Alexa, God forbid, he'll do something to make me work for him. I know how this man works. I know what he is up to. It is no good. He's dying of cancer, don't you see? He's not going to stop until he gets a cure. He thinks I'll give that to him."

Jane's eyes grew wide. "He's dying?"

"Has been for years. He tests humans in a hope to get an AHH. If he can get that, he knew that AHH blood had a healing quality. I just happened to prove it to him.

Now he knows that I know how to do it, he'll force me to give him what he wants. His cure."

Jane sighed. "I know you. You'll find a way to subvert his plans. You're better than he is at this game."

"He's been at this game for over 50 years. I think he might have me cornered this time." Krycek sighed. "I think I just lost this time."

Jane said, "Don't give up. We'll find something out.

We'll fix this mess. Mulder and Samantha get home, and we can really get a move on this. Don't quit yet. Come home. I know you called Skinner and Janis."

"Yes. Let's go home. I need to just be with you for a while." Krycek said. He kissed her gently.

When they arrived to the Gunmen's, Byers walked up to the door, unlocking it. Someone pushed him aside, knocking him to the ground. Doggett drew his gun.

"FEDERAL AGENT! Stop right there!"

The figure stopped. They turned around, and Byers turned the lights on. He exclaimed, "Yves?"

The woman gave him a look, asking, "Since when do you consort with the government, Byers?"

"It's a long story. I should have guessed that if Jimmy showed up, so would you." Byers sighed.

Doggett said, "Think ya could spare the chit chat. I'm tired, I have a cranky couple of boys, some grumpy girls and I'm not very cheery right now."

Byers nodded. He said, "What ever you were going to steal, I'd stop."

A file was in her hands. "I noticed you were in over heads again, that's all."

Byers took the file. It was a copy of Samantha's file.

Byers said, "That is not over our heads. You can't do that."

"Funny, I just did," Doggett said, "That file belongs to us. If you want to deal with it, deal with Samantha when she comes home."

Yves walked towards him. He noticed how she walked, feeling embarrassed by it for a moment. "When does a nice looking smart man like you get involved with paranoid men like these?"

"None of your business. Unless you have anything else you're seeking, I want to get home. It's been a nice day in hell. Don't make it worse than it already is."

"So, are you the fabled Mulder?"

"No. I work with him, if it's anythin' to ya," Doggett said through clenched teeth. "I suggest you leave, cause I don't think ya want what will happen later on."

"Oh?"

Byers said. "Don't play games, Yves. Please."

"You're no fun. Alright, I'll leave. I promise," Doggett said, "Any tampering, and I'll deal with you myself."

She was a little afraid of Doggett. He hadn't given his name, and he seemed to be able to figure out that she was lying. He made her at least for once abide by his threat. He was probably able to defend himself better than the Gunmen.

The next morning, Langly woke feeling a weight on his chest. Josephine had rolled over during the night. He smiled. She had taken up so little space the night before, but now she took up most of the bed.

She looked peaceful. A knock came to the door. She jumped. "Wwhat?"

Mulder said, "We should get to that stupid airport.

It's time to get to D.C. I'll be taking you back out to Marshall as soon as I can get the all clear. We'll get your stuff and your cats then."

Josephine noticed where she was. She nodded. She moved from Langly. She sat up. "Use that F.B.I. skill today, Mulder. It'll save time," Mulder said, "Had that exact plan on my mind this morning. Let's get going."

Josephine and Langly got up. She said, "Don't forget the laptop, Langly." She smiled. "I know you're still thinking of what just happened. Let's get going. The sooner we leave, the sooner what ever is wrong will get fixed."

They followed Mulder and Jeremiah out to Josephine's car. She said, "We're going to have to throw out all of those groceries. I don't like this at all," Mulder said, "As long as we get our flight, I'm okay."

It was early in the morning. Mulder said, "Wait here."

He went into the airport terminal, up to a ticket window. He drew his badge, "Special Agent Fox Mulder of the F.B.I. I'd like a flight out to D.C. right away."

The ticket seller said, "Right this way, Agent," Mulder said, "I have three others with me. There on their way right now. We all have to get to D.C."

The ticket seller nodded. She made up four tickets.

"Just go ahead and board this plane here. We'll get you to D.C. as soon as we can."

Mulder smiled. He lead everyone to the plane.

They boarded. Langly sitting by the window, Josephine next to him. Mulder and Jeremiah sat behind them.

Mulder watched out the window. He sighed. "Let's hope we can get home safely."

Josephine was still tired. She didn't see a reason to stay awake. Langly was sitting down with his email, getting ready to tell Frohike that they were on their way.

Josephine put her head on his shoulder, going back to sleep. He smiled to himself. She was completely asleep. He noticed that she had already put her seat belt on.

Mulder stared out the window, waiting for the plane to take off. He wished that things would move faster. He didn't like this waiting around thing. It made him nervous.

They landed in D.C., and Josephine was excited to finally have arrived back in D.C. She said, "I don't know what to think of being back here. It's so amazing. I love this city," Mulder said, "Take her out to coffee, I'm going to get Jeremiah out to Scully, and inform Doggett of Sam. I think it's best that she doesn't Doggett in a bad light for the meeting."

Langly nodded. He took Josephine to a small coffee shop not far from the airport. She was looking around as if she was lost. She sat down at the table he directed her to.

He got up, asking, "Want some coffee?"

She shook her head. "Find out if they have strawberry smoothies." Langly walked away.

Since she was still in her Tigers shirt, she looked very obvious to those living in D.C. She looked like a tourist. She was looking around relishing the fact that she was here, in the city she so loved. She had her eyes closed when she heard a voice.

"Josephine, what are you doing here?" A man's voice asked. She knew who it was and immediately stiffened.

"I see she wasn't lying about you being in D.C."

Josephine said, opening her eyes, pinning the man before her.

"You look obviously lost. Did you come here to try and see if there was something we could do?" the man asked. He had blond hair, and hazel/green eyes.

She shook her head. "I'm with him." She pointed to Langly.

"Him? You must be desperate."

"If you had gone through my last two days, you wouldn't be so judgmental of him. I'm not going to tell you any more than I already have." She was angry now.

Langly noticed that a man she obviously knew was talking with her. He decided he would wait until she seemed to give him a signal.

"I'm sure. You didn't travel all this way to see me and try to patch things up?" The man said.

"No, I did not, Peter. If you weren't so stuck on a past that I gave up on a long time ago, you wouldn't be doing this. So, what do you do in D.C.?"

"I'm working to get into the F.B.I. I'm almost there.

You?"

"Political analyst," Josephine said through clenched teeth.

"I see. Good luck."

"Yeah, like you mean it. What do you want?"

"I just thought I'd tell you I'm in D.C. Thought you'd like to know." Peter said.

Langly made his move. "Josephine, we should get to the hospital."

Josephine glared at him, trying to tell him that he shouldn't tell. Langly knew what he was doing.

Peter asked, "For what?"

"Oh, I know that Mulder said something about us getting there as soon as possible," Langly said offhandedly.

"Spooky? You met Spooky Mulder, Josephine? I should have known. You're stuck now." Peter said. He walked away quickly.

Josephine sighed. "Can you believe that?"

"No. I got rid of him though."

"He judges you by your looks alone, as if I wouldn't like you for them. Moron. I hate superficial people like that. God dammit!" She clenched her teeth.

Langly said, "Hey, let's get out of here. We should get you used to your new home. I know that we might not run into anyone, but I think we should wait for you to meet Doggett."

Josephine nodded. "Alright."

Mulder and Jeremiah drove off to the hospital. When they arrived, they found Doggett waiting for them.

"Dogg Man!"

Doggett turned around, a smile on his face, though he was tired. He said, "Glad you made it," Mulder said, "Jeremiah, go on in. I need to talk to Doggett alone."

Jeremiah nodded. He said, "I'll heal her now. Thank you for all you've done for me."

Jeremiah disappeared into Scully's room. Doggett asked, "What is it, Mulduh?" His face was concerned now.

"Somewhere private," Mulder said. He went into the room that Jane had set up as a makeshift lab. He shut the door. He sighed. "Doggett, when we left Marshall, Samantha sacrificed herself to save Jeremiah from the ABH and ultimately Scully. She was abducted. I'm so sorry."

Doggett was in shock. A moment later, rage over took him. He found an empty table, and overturned it. He turned around. "You have to be lyin' to me, Mulduh. I can't do this again. I can't," Mulder said, "I'm sorry, so sorry."

"Sorry! She was supposed to come home safe. She wasn't supposed to do anythin' like this. I can't be with out her!" Doggett's face filled with pain. "I missed her the whole time she was in Marshall, and now I find out she was taken. First Alexa, now Sam!" He broke down then, fatigue over taking his senses and emotions.

Mulder sat him down. "We'll get her back. She'll be back before you know it."

"A moment without her is like a moment in hell. You know what I mean when I say that. You feel the same way about Scully. That's why you did all you could to save her," Doggett said softly.

"I know. I know. When she comes back, you'll be happy again."

"What if she comes back different? What if they change her even more and make her less of who she is?"

Doggett sobbed quietly.

"She'll come back to you just as sweet, just as beautiful, just as caring as before. You and I both know that," Mulder said, putting a hand on Doggett's shoulder. "Just pray and hope that things will be fine."

"I wish that I could turn back time a bit. Just so I can fix everythin' that went wrong the past few days away," Doggett said.

"Not all of it is bad. I think Langly got himself a girlfriend in Marshall," Mulder said.

"That girl that he emailed Frohike about?" Doggett said.

"That be the one," Mulder said. "Be patient, she'll come back to you. She will and you know she will. She loves you too much to leave you behind like that. I better go and see how Jeremiah is doing," Mulder said, getting up.

Mulder stepped quietly into the room. Jeremiah said softly from the other side of Scully's bedside, "She's fine now. She's healed."

Mulder gave him a smile. "Thank you so very much. I can't thank you enough."

Jeremiah said, "You're sister sacrificed herself for me. Without that, I might be in some type of trouble that would have ended my career to heal others like Scully here. I know how much it hurts you to lose your sister like that."

"Not as much as it hurts Doggett. He's crushed," Mulder said softly.

"I suppose he is. Protect him. I don't think I want to see Samantha hurt. She's got so much power, but she's so sweet. I can't say it any other way."

"I know," Mulder said. "She is, isn't she?"

Jeremiah said, "Thanks for watching over me. Hey, even if I can't go back to Marshall, I'll make sure to keep contact open between you two. I can't stay. I must go before I am caught."

"I understand. Go. Check with you later," Mulder said.

Jeremiah walked out past him. He sat down in the seat that he had been in only a few days ago, lamenting her slow death.

He whispered, "Scully, it's me."

Scully opened her eyes. "Oh Mulder, is everything alright?"

"You're healed. Oh Scully, Samantha was taken again.

I, I hate when she's taken like that. I feel sorry for Doggett. He hates when she is abducted."

"I know. Is he going to be alright?" Scully asked with concern in her voice. "I don't think it would bode well for Samantha to return and Doggett to do something rash."

"I know. Scully, you're going to be okay. I can't thank Jeremiah enough for what he has done for you," Mulder said.

"I know. I'll get my test results back, and we can really celebrate then. We have a lot of things to do while Samantha is absent. I hate to be in John's shoes. Poor John, he's suffered so much in such a little time."

"You rest. I'll be back later. I have to get him home as soon as I can, and check on some other things.

You'll be safe?" Mulder asked.

"I'll be perfectly fine. Go," Scully said.

Mulder bent down, kissing her. He said, "Kathy was right. Mommy is going to be alright."

Scully smiled. "Tell the children I'll be home soon."

"I will." Mulder walked out the door, leaving Scully with mixed emotions about what had happened. She was healed, but Samantha was missing again. She knew how that tolled on Doggett.

They arrived to the Gunmen's place. Langly unlocked the door. She said, "Got enough locks there, Langly? Sorry, I just saw Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid the other day."

Langly smiled. "Actually, we don't have enough locks.

Let's get inside."

She stepped inside. "My, does anyone clean this place?"

"Nope. Not even Audrey notices this mess. That's her computer there. She's got one of her own."

"Oh, I only know how to email and use it to write. I don't know any of that crazy hacking stuff."

Langly smiled. "That's fine."

"Good. So, where's your room?" She stepped over a pile of paper that had been left on the floor. She shook her head.

"Here." Langly lead her down to a set of rooms. He opened a door. "This is mine."

She sighed when she saw the mess inside. "I think I'm going to have my work cut out for me. I'm not sleeping in a messy place."

Langly knew he was cornered. There was no way for him to get her to change her mind now. She said, "Hamper, ever hear of one?"

"Sorry." He watched her pile up his clothes that he had thrown around the room into one pile. She then said, "Alright, that's a bit better."

A sound startled the both of them. She stopped, stiffening. "Someone is here," she whispered it. She lead the way towards the noise, silently.

Langly shouted all of the sudden. "Yves, what are you up this time?"

Yves turned around. "Who's the girl, Langly?"

Josephine stepped out to face the woman. She said, "Me? I'm Josephine. If you got a problem with that, take it up with me."

"Direct. I like that." Yves walked towards her.

Josephine started laughing. "Doesn't that hurt to walk that way? Maybe it's just my ankles. You should try walking normal, don'tcha know?" She had to throw in a bit of Minnesotan.

Yves looked at Josephine. "There is nothing wrong with the way I walk."

"Only if you're on a strip bar runway there isn't."

She started laughing again. Langly noticed that Josephine was confusing Yves.

"So, what brings you here, Josephine?" Yves asked, tryin to get some information.

"For me, and not for you to find out," Josephine said.

"Ah, another paranoid person. Fits I suppose."

"I'm a Midwesterner, I can't be paranoid. Oh well, think what you must," Josephine said, "I'm going to finish cleaning that tornado alley mess you live in. I think Chandler's tornado was cleaner." She walked away, imitating Yves. She giggled again, then said, "That does hurt!"

Yves stood with her arms crossed. "So, Langly, what things did you get involved in that you can't handle this time?"

"I have a funny feeling I'm handling it very very well," Langly said.

"Oh really? You're involved in a Resistance aren't you?" Yves said.

"Yeah, so."

"I have a funny feeling you three don't know what you are getting yourselves into."

"I have a funny feeling you're wrong," Langly said.

"Samantha Mulder?" Yves asked.

"She's the sister of my friend," Langly said.

"Ah, the fabled Mulder."

Title: Shattered Halcyon (Part Five: Fear and Sorrow All Consuming)

Author: Cinnamon Scully

Krycek stood outside the room where Marita and Cancer Man were talking. He listened at the door, trying ascertain if Alexa was there. He heard them talking.

"I'm sure Alex will show up and demand his little girl back soon." Marita said. "I can get him then. The only way he gets any information about the brat is to sleep with me."

Cancer Man coughed. "Marita, we're here to get a cure for me. If he wants information about Alexa he'll have to get me Jeremiah Smith. I don't feel like dying."

"Fine. He does both. I refuse to let you get all of the benefit." Martia said, her voice hard.

He cursed in Russian in his mind. He knew that they were setting up trap for him. He couldn't hear any signs of Alexa, but decided that he might find something out about her by listening to them talk.

Cancer Man said, "He'll come, you're right about that, and when he does, he'll have to do some bargaining.

Betraying the Project like this expects some compensation."

Marita said, "We'll get him to come back to us. That woman he is with right now is not nearly right enough for him. He'll see where he really belongs."

Krycek thought about Jane for a moment. He could remember her pained green eyes when he told her that their baby girl was missing. He could remember her smile when he had proposed to her. He only found happiness thinking of her.

He heard the Cancer Man say, "He'll realize more importantly that the Project is more successful than what ever he's up to know. He better understand that soon. It's not like him to join a lost cause."

Marita sighed. "He'll realize that. We'll get him where we want him. This abduction is what will work for us. He'll join us knowing that it's the only way for him to get the brat back. When he does, he won't want to leave us."

Cancer Man could be heard coughing again. He stopped.

"Marita, we must be patient. Wait for him to come to us and then we can get him where we want him. We must execute this perfectly, if we don't, this will blow up in our faces anyway."

Marita could be heard snorting. She said, "Let's hope that he won't be stubborn about the whole affair. I can't wait for him much longer. I can't, and I won't."

Krycek thought of how desperate Marita sounded. He wished someone would come around that would open her eyes to how she was being used by Cancer Man.

The next thing he heard made him angry and very very afraid. He heard Cancer Man say, "If anything, he has to work to get his little girl back. Your plan of sending her to the testing sessions was perfect."

Samantha Mulder felt herself enter the test session again. She felt scared for the first time since she was a little girl. She knew something was going to happen to her in an awful way. She knew that she was going to be tested on in a painful way, in a way she would have horrible nightmares about for quite some time after she was returned.

She knew this simply because they had added something to the chair she was to be strapped down into. Her wrists and ankles were also being crushed to the cold metal. She couldn't move her arms or legs, and she knew that was a bad sign.

She thought about how Doggett would be feeling when she didn't come home from Marshall. God, she missed him terribly. He was her refuge from this torture. She felt tears stream down her face as she sat waiting for the worst to happen.

She closed her eyes, feeling the pain and sobs take over her body. She almost always refused to show any emotion, but she had sacrificed herself for Scully, and she felt afraid that her testing out of order would harm her.

Frankly, she was sick of being a human lab rat. She was tired of bein ripped away from her family, her husband and lover, her little boy. She was sick and tired of having to endure the pain that no human being should ever suffer through. She sighed, trying to contain herself.

She felt the test begin. It was as always, the Black Oil falling down on her and the other test subjects.

She pulled her own Black Oil over her eyes, sealing the pain away from her directly. She was stiff, unmoving and aware of what was going around her. She knew they were watching her closely for what reaction they could get. She would refuse to give them anymore than she already had.

She felt her body jerk uncontrollably. Instead of jerking freely, she hit the metal holders on her wrists and ankles. She didn't register the pain, but she knew she would later. She was angry that she had to be here, she was angry that she had to be involved.

She let go, using some of her pent up energy. She snapped the anklets and the confining wrist holders.

She howled out, "You want a reaction you inhuman alien bastards, you got one! How about I tell you exactly how it feels to be used! You know what, you wouldn't understand it! As far as physical pain, you're going to be disappointed. I don't feel it! Did you hear that! I don't feel your stupid tests!"

"Mel?" Audrey woke up, wondering where she was. "Where am I?"

Frohike jumped up from the chair he was sitting in, dozing. "I'm here Audrey. You're in the hospital. Some one drugged you."

Audrey looked over to Frohike, "Mel, I'm sorry for not paying enough attention. We shouldn't be here," Frohike said, "It's not your fault at all. Things happen that we have no control over. It's not your fault, there was no way to prevent it when we didn't know it would happen.

She smiled. "Mel, when do I get out of here?"

"Doctor said he was going to hold you over night one more night. I hope Mulder, Samantha, and Langly made it home safely."

"Me too." She sighed. "I hate being here."

"I know you do. Audrey, today really scared me. I was afraid that something terrible would happen to you," Frohike said softly.

Audrey smiled at him. She said, "I'm glad you care.

Come here." Frohike did as asked. She gave him a kiss.

"I'll be fine, Mel. Don't worry about me too much. I don't think I could handle you acting like a mother hen."

Frohike smiled. "I might like playing the part of the mother hen. It might be fun, especially for a pretty lady like yourself."

Audrey giggled. "You always know what to say to make me laugh, Mel. That's why I love you so much. You may be a troll, but you're the cutest little troll I've ever seen."

Frohike smiled at her. "Why thank you, Pretty Lady," she said, "So, are you going to go home and see what is up there. I think you should. They may need you.

Don't worry about me. I'll be fine."

Frohike sighed. "Yeah. I suppose I will have to. Don't you go anywhere or get hurt again while I'm gone, Pretty Lady."

"I won't. Just get going before something comes up and you get into trouble for something."

Alright, Audrey. You get some rest." Frohike gave her one more kiss.

"See you later, Mel."

Please don't say I love you

Those words touch me too deeply

And they make my core tremble

Don't think you realize the power you have over me And please don't come so close

It just makes me want to make you near me always

Doggett was napping in bed at home. In his sleep he kept trying to reach for Samantha. His face was contorted with distress, and he tossed and turned a number of times.

[He felt as if he was in a mist looking for something or someone. As he stepped closer, the thing or person he seeked would elude him. He was growing frustrated by this, wanting to find this thing he needed to survive. He could not find it, could not catch up to it, no matter how hard he tried.]

He woke suddenly. He sighed. She was gone. He looked at her spot, her side of the bed, empty and cold from lack of her form sleeping there. She was gone, and he would have to accept that until she returned. He wanted her back now, wanted her to be with him.

He rolled onto his back, staring at his ceiling. He tried to think of anything else but her, yet he could only think of her, visualize her face.

She was so beautiful, her smiling face was imprinted upon his mind. He saw her flushed cheeks, her sparkling eyes, the way her dark hair fell around her face like the perfect frame when it was loose. Just the way he loved it. Framing her perfect face. He could see the way her perfect pink lips would be full and in a smile. He saw how they looked after a kiss, swollen from loving them.

He missed her terribly, wanting, needing her with him, his heart aching for her to return and all the sooner.

He wished he didn't have to tell his son that his mother was missing again. He hated to tell his son that, almost as much as he hated to hear it himself, or witness it himself.

He hated letting her go. He always had. He was thinking of how if he had been there, she might be here, next to him, asleep and happy. Perhaps not. He couldn't predict what could have happened.

A soft knock came to his door. He gruffly said, "Yeah."

Melanie peeked her head through the door. "How are you holding up, John?"

"I miss her so much. It aches, I know I've never been sentimental, but when she leaves a piece of me goes with her," Doggett said, softly.

"I know. I can tell by looking at you. I may not have had a successful marriage to you, but I do know when you hurt," Melanie said, sitting down at the foot of the bed. "I've seen how much you love Samantha."

Doggett sighed. "I know you wish I could have loved you that way."

"John, stop. I don't want you to feel guilty. Do I feel envious? Yes. Do I really think it's worth getting upset for it? No. I just wanted to let you know I feel for you. I've seen in your eyes how much you love that woman. She means a lot to you."

Doggett whispered, "She's my life."

"Langly, did you have any idea that you have a floor under this mess!" Josephine yelled out to where Langly sat at his computer. He looked at Frohike, shrugging.

Frohike asked, "Who was that?"

"Josephine."

"You just let her in here?" Frohike asked.

Josephine came out, saying, "Langly, do you want me to ..."

"Who are you?" Frohike demanded.

"Josephine."

"Do you have any idea where you are?" Frohike asked.

"Yeah, in a bachelor pad worse than my next door neighbor's mess," Josephine said.

"What skills does she have besides cleaning, Langly?"

Frohike demanded.

"I have ears, and I use them very well. You are conspiracy theorists. You want a conspiracy theory on JFK? Just remember back and to the left, ever see that movie with Kevin Costner? If you want a good conspiracy from the 80's, try the Iran-Contra scandal.

You want Bushy Wushy's dad's scandal that barely saw the light of day? Try the fact that he ordered our military to NOT intervene in the mass murder of thousands of Iraqi resistance fighters. You want a good Baby Bush scandal? Let's try the 6000 dead in Kosovo, a place he didn't know existed. He ordered a strike and they missed the target by his order. Try the fact he tried to cover that up. Oh, and let's not forget when he was caught with cocaine and alcohol.

Good enough for you?"

Frohike and Langly just stared. "How did you know that?"

"I read it somewhere. I think it's called the news, oh and I'm a political analyst by the way," Frohike said, "Wow, you sure know your stuff."

"Yeah, and that Yves chick is playing a game with you, don'tcha know?" Josephine said. "She's got you where she wants you. I can change that."

"Langly, you sure she is a Midwest girl?"

"Oh sure, doubt the accent," Josephine said, laughing.

"Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to finish cleaning our room, Langly. You shouldn't base everything on Oscar the Grouch."

Frohike watched her disappear back down to Langly's room. "She's something, isn't she."

"Yeah, doesn't know a thing about computers though."

"So what you dolt. She knows more than the three of us combined on the last four or five decades of scandals off the top of her head. You found a gold mine of information."

"She thinks fast on her feet."

"Get some music going, will ya! Try some Aerosmith.

That's if you don't have any Stones."

"Same music tastes." Frohike shook his head.

Krycek had gotten the information he needed. They didn't have his little girl anymore, though he knew that they had done this to her. They sent his little girl off to be tested on. He was angry, but knew giving away his presence would only ruin any chances of saving her. He snuck back out, leaving the evil conspirators behind.

He felt angry and afraid. This is how Doggett must feel when Samantha was taken. He didn't think he could go through this time and time again like Doggett does, but he understood fully what Doggett felt when Samantha was taken and left behind to fear the worst.

He was angry for what had happened. He loved his little girl, and he didn't need to feel as if he had caused her to suffer. It was his life, not theirs.

Their project, not his. He didn't owe them anything, he shouldn't have to.

He drove back to the hospital, finding that Scully had been released earlier that day. Jeremiah had made it in time. He wondered what other surprises he would find. He sighed.

He decided to drive to Doggett's and tell Samantha that Alexa had been taken. He knew that Samantha would understand his pain and fear for his little girl. He knew that she would know what to do, how to tell Jane.

He knew that he could seek refuge there.

He stepped out of his car. He walked up to the house, head bowed. He stepped through the door, without knocking. Doggett's voice could be heard saying, "If you expected Sam, she's not here. She's gone. She took Jeremiah's place."

"I think you've been married to her for too long."

Krycek said. "Alexa is up with those aliens."

Doggett looked into Krycek's pained face. "Are you sure?"

"Yes. Definitely. They sent her to testing trying to get me to join up with them. They sent my baby girl away to live or die." He looked guilty and in pain.

Doggett said, "Take a seat. You might be needin' it."

Krycek did as told. He sat down on the couch next to Doggett. "She's gone and now I have to tell Jane that she's missing. I can't do it. She'll be crushed to know that our baby girl is up with those inhuman bastards. It's all my fault."

"Krycek, it's no one's fault except the Cancer Man and Marita. It is their fault and their fault alone. You can't expect to take the blame for this."

"I do, I do. I just got my Alexa back, and now she's gone to a worse place than ever before. How do I forgive myself?" Krycek asked, his eyes imploring Doggett to answer.

"Well, you understand first that if you could go back into time and fix it, it would probably come out just the same. It's just the way things are goin' to be.

Just be patient, pray and hope she returns safely.

It's all ya can ever do," Doggett said, pain in his own voice.

"I guess so." Krycek said.

"I miss her, you know? She's who I live for, and when she's gone, a part of me dies. I hate when she has to leave to go up there. I know what it's like up there, and it makes me so angry and so sad that I don't know what to do. All I can do is hope."

Doggett went upstairs. He had called Jane over to talk to Krycek and have them both stay the night. It would be fine for them and he didn't mind the company. He was tired, wanting to only to get sleep now. He trudged up the stairs to get some sleep.

Some how he knew he would not be getting that sleep he so needed, that he craved. Without her, true refreshing sleep was impossible. He could not take pleasure with out her by his side, encircled in his arms. He could not, and would not.

He sighed, laying down in the bed, not even getting into a night wear. He just wanted to lay down, forget for awhile. He could not think of a way that was possible, but he would try.

He lay on his side, trying to think of anything but her, but could only think of her, she was everything to him, everything. She was all he had ever searched for, all he had ever asked for, and now she was gone.

How could this happen to him, to her?

He felt a tear escape his efforts to keep his emotions under control. He felt the pain inside of his heart grow as he thought of her, unbidding to himself.

He felt as if he would crumple up and die, fearing what was happening to Samantha, fearing that she would come home and no longer love him. He knew deep down that could not happen, but it still teased him, in his nightmares that plagued him.

In his dreams he would dream her returning to him, and leaving him by her own free will, no longer loving him. He felt afraid that each time she came back that it would be this time that she would leave him. He would die if she ever did that.

He heard a voice behind him. "Dad, is Mother going to come home?"

"Son, I don't know. She's with them. She's with them."

Having told his son, it made him break finally. He knew that telling his son this news was one of the hardest things he had to do. It broke his heart to do that.

"Can I sleep with you tonight, Dad?" The boy asked softly.

"Yeah, of course you can." Doggett turned to face his son. Andy crawled into the bed, curling up next to his father.

"She won't leave you, you know that, right?" Andy asked.

"Yeah. Deep down I do. It's just a irrational fear."

Doggett whispered. "We should get some sleep."

Andy sighed. "I hate when Mother has to leave too. I miss her so much."

"Yeah. I miss her an awful lot too, son," Doggett said. "She'll come home to us soon, she'll come home to us soon."

Josephine was arguing with Frohike. "You didn't party with the Stones at Altamont. No one was really partying at Altamont."

"I was there," Frohike said.

"Maybe so, but you weren't partying. Murdock was murdered in front of Jagger. Everyone uses that as the symbol that the 60's had ended. You know that."

"Maybe so, but I was with them."

"You're short like me. What was Jagger's height?"

"What that have to do with it?" Frohike demanded.

"All short people seem to know who's taller than them and by how much. So, what's his height."

"I don't know. 5'7"?"

"Wrong. Try 5'11". I've seen you scope out how tall other people are compared to you," Josephine said.

"Alright. Best Stones song."

"Best? I'd have to say musically You Can't Always Get What You Want. My fave, Sister Morphine. Two totally different albums."

"Name them." Frohike shot back, trying to stump her.

"Alright. YCAGWYW is from Let It Bleed, last song, 1968. The second, Sister Morphine, Stick Fingers, song number eight, 1971."

"You're too good. Langly, that pizza almost done?"

Langly yelled out, "Almost."

Byers was in the corner with Melanie, watching the debates. He liked Josephine. She told both Langly and Frohike several times their places, and they didn't scoff at her.

He thought that was funny. Frohike and Langly being put into their places by a woman who had a skill he didn't. Not backing down and not giving up. He gave in just to appease such a fight from happening. He knew that if he wasn't careful they would make life difficult. He sighed.

Melanie said, "What's wrong, John?"

"Nothing. I'm just glad that Langly has someone else on his side. Audrey and Frohike used to gang up on him all the time. Josephine is a bit meaner about it, but she's a great debater. She knows how to get them where it hurts."

"I noticed that too. She only met Frohike today, and Langly a couple of days ago. How did she do that so quickly." Melanie asked.

Byers shook his head. "I don't know, but I'm hungry. I wish that pizza would get done."

"Me too." She kissed him.

He kissed her back, "So, did you talk to Doggett?"

"Yes. I feel so sorry for him. He doesn't deserve something like this."

"No, no he doesn't," Byers said.

Mulder and Scully sat at home, celebrating a victory over death. The children were asleep and Mulder relished in the idea of being with Scully alone for once. He had missed her the whole time in Marshall.

He sat with her on the sofa. He kissed her, letting himself memorize her features, her taste, her essence.

He had missed her so terribly, but had to be away from her to be doing this in the first place.

She broke the kiss off, smiling at him. "Mulder, I'm so glad to be okay, for your sake. The one thing I could not bear about lying in that hospital bed thinking I might die was the fact that I would leave you behind, and I know how much you would be upset by that. I feared for you more than for me."

Mulder put his forehead on hers. He whispered, "I missed you the whole time I was away from you. You shouldn't have feared for me, Scully. It was you who was dying. It was you who was facing death and leaving the world behind, leaving things undone and unsaid."

Scully felt tears come to her eyes. "I just know you, Mulder. You would feel guilty, as if it was your fault that I was stricken with this disease. I, I love you too much to lay blame on you at anytime. You are my touchstone, remember telling me that?"

"Yes. Scully, you are mine, too. I feared for you, I feared for you so much, that I would come home too late, and find that you were dead, or that it was impossible to heal you. Oh Scully, don't ever scare me like that again. Please, don't."

"I'll try not to. Mulder, I love you so much." She kissed him, taking his bottom lip in between her teeth for a moment. She slipped a tongue into his waiting mouth, hers touching his. She felt his hands go to her hair, moving sensually through it.

She moved her hands through his coarse, yet soft hair, pulling him for a deeper kiss. He complied, making her feel more whole and complete than she had since coming out of remission in the first place. Oh how she wished that this moment would last forever. She loved this man so terribly.

She broke off the kiss, burrowing her head into his chest, feeling his strong arms go around her, holding her close to him. She could smell his smell of deodorant soap and pure Mulder smell. He smelled like everything sensual, everything male, everything with grace and beauty. She sighed.

"What is it, Scully?" Mulder asked, never moving her from her spot.

"I love you so much. I missed this spot while you were gone. I forgot how comfortable it really is; how safe it makes me feel," Scully said, smiling into his chest. She wrapped her arms around him. "Hold me forever like this."

Mulder laughed. It echoed loudly in her ear. "Scully, we should get some sleep. Who knows how much sleep we'll be getting in the next few days. I have a funny feeling that certain things will become big."

Scully grumbled for a moment. "Alright."

He helped her up. They walked slowly up to their bedroom, holding hands, going slowly. They wanted to savor every waking moment together. They always knew that it was a possibility that they could have less in the future.

"We'll get her back, Jane." Krycek whispered. "I promise."

Jane looked at Krycek with unshed tears in her eyes.

"Alex, what if they give her cancer? What if AHH blood doesn't her? What if they make her AHH. They'll be needing her again. I can't give up my baby. I can't."

Krycek held her close to himself. "I know. I can't give up Alexa either. She's our baby girl. I love her, too. Oh Jane, we have to hope things will go well."

Jane burrowed her head into his chest. "I hate those alien bastards. I hate them for what they've done to me, to Janis, to Scully, to Doggett, to Samantha. I hate them for all they are."

"I know you do. I know and it will be alright. I promise." Krycek said softly. He moved her from his chest to kiss her forehead. He kissed her forehead, moving down to her lips. He took hers gently, trying to reassure that things would be fine.

She responded by kissing him back. She felt so sad and so afraid for him, so terribly so. She broke the kiss off, sighing. "Alex, promise me this. Promise me that you will not blame yourself for this. Promise me that you won't do anything stupid to get yourself killed. I couldn't bear it."

Krycek's dark eyes looked into Jane's crystal green.

"I promise with all of my heart that I will not get hurt too. I love you too much. I want you to know that Marita is after me again. She doesn't stand a chance.

You won the war a long time ago. I love you and only you."

"You know you're in love with someone else than me."

Jane said, a smile playing across her lips. "I'm almost jealous of the young lady."

Krycek smiled. "I suppose I am in love with her, aren't I?"

"Of course you are. That's perfectly fine. Go ahead, be in love with Alexa. It's perfectly fine with me."

Jane said. She looked down then. "Do you think we'll get her back safely?"

"I think that what ever is going to happen will. I will make sure we get our baby girl back. I will make sure that Alexa comes home safely. I will, I promise."

Krycek said, kissing her.

She ran her hands through his hair, running her hands over his leather clad chest. She smiled against his lips. "Too bad we're staying here the night, Alex."

Krycek could only groan. He knew that if they were at home it wouldn't be a problem. He pulled back from her. "We'd better stop before we forget we aren't at home. Let's get some rest."

Jane smiled at him. "I know you're thinking naughty things. We'll have to wait to do that, won't we?"

Krycek smiled. "Don't mention it, Jane. It makes me want to do it more than before."

Jane giggled. "I know you do."

"You know that this will work, right?" Marita was speaking to a man. She had her back turned to him. She sighed. "It has to work."

"We have a bit of a problem though," the man said, behind her. "A big one."

"What is it?"

"Josephine Canon. She can figure us out in a blink of an eye," the man said softly, into her ear.

"Eliminate her. We don't need this." She turned around to look into the man's face fully. His blonde hair was cut short, but not too short. It looked rather shaggy.

He had his full lips in a sensual smile. She kissed his lips.

"Marita, there is something you should know about Josephine. She's not like other people. She senses things, she knows when people are there, what they feel, what they want. She knows things through this that I can't explain."

"So she's AHH is she?" Marita said with a smile. "Big deal."

"No. She's natural at it. Her next door neighbor would show up and she and I would be upstairs. She'd sit up, knowing he was there and that it was him before hearing or seeing him. She sensed things like that all the time."

"Peter, you know that doesn't mean anything." Marita purred.

"I saw her here in D.C. yesterday. I'm still in love with her. I only broke it off from her because Maria wanted me to. Maria was vindictive towards us for being together. Since Maria was living with me, she decided that Josephine had to go. I still love her, but I can't let her know that now. She came here with another guy."

Maria smiled. "What guy?"

"Someone who knows Spooky Mulder. I lied to her about just trying to get into the F.B.I. I'm really a director in VCS under a different name. That black lunged bastard put me there."

"Describe him."

"Long blond hair, geeky looking glasses and a rock t-shirt on." Peter said.

Marita laughed. "You'll win. You're ten times better looking that Richard Langly."

"You don't know Josephine. She doesn't care how they look if they love her or care for her. Once she's on your side, she'll fight for you like a female dragon, that's until you betray her and make her think otherwise of you."

"I think I know that she will see that you're better for her. She'll see our Project is more important."

Marita said. "Now, let's get some sleep." She led him to the bed.

Doggett dreamed again, a terrifying dream that he feared would come true. He saw Samantha come back to him, from the tests. She was beautiful as always, her smile lighting up her beautiful eyes. He stepped towards her, calling out her name. She turned to see him, but when he saw her face, she was angry. Her beautiful eyes held hate and anger.

"You promised me that I wouldn't have to go back up there. You lied to me, John Doggett. You lied," Samantha said with venom in her voice. "I never want to see you again."

Doggett felt his heart break. "Sam, I, I didn't want you to go. I tried to stop it. I love you."

"Love, what is love when it is built on a lie like yours. You don't love me with any sense of honesty," Samantha said, her eyes piercing into him.

"Sam, I'm being honest. I love you too much to see you hurt. When you are taken by them, I feel just as empty. Oh Sam, I'm so sorry that I can't stop them from testing on you. I'm so sorry," Doggett said, tears openly streaming down his face.

"You're not sorry for anyone but yourself." Samantha spat back.

"NO! I'm sorry that you ever had to go through what you did. I'm so sorry that you had to go through all of that pain. No one should ever have to do that," Doggett said, pleading with her.]

Doggett woke suddenly. He ran a hand over his face, trying to rub the sleep and the dreams images away from his eyes. He turned to see Andy next to him, fast asleep. He sighed. It was about 4 in the morning.

He rolled over onto to his side, watching his son sleep in the moonlight. His son was peacefully asleep.

He couldn't help but smile. Though Samantha said their son looked more like him, he always thought that Andy looked like Samantha. Especially when he was asleep.

He had that innocent look his mother had when she was asleep. He had the same lips and nose. He noticed that. Samantha was right about one thing, Andy did have his ears. Pointy and a little sticking out.

He took his sleeping son into his arms, holding him closer to him, feeling how much happier he did feel holding the boy. He knew that the dream he had was a fear that he had. It wasn't going to happen. She loved him and he loved her. Nothing was going to change that. He knew that, but he couldn't help feel that she would leave him. He knew it was because of Melanie's departure, but even with that over his head, he knew that Melanie and he did not belong together in the first place. They were so different.

He smiled. Melanie liked Byers, thinking of that made him a bit happier. At least he didn't feel as guilty for not loving Melanie as much as he should have then.

He could let that go.

He closed his eyes, trying in vain to go back to sleep. Nights without Samantha were always the most difficult to deal with, always the most painful.

That night, Josephine settled into her new home. She didn't have to argue too much with Langly on where each one of them would sleep. They would share, and that was final.

Langly marveled at how much cleaner his room was now that she had cleaned it. She had found the closet back, and hung up all of his t-shirts. The floor was walkable now.

She slept while he was on his laptop in his room. She was very tired, and still hadn't adjusted to the time change. He sat wondering how long this room would stay in it's present condition.

As he sat typing, he noticed that she was not asleep anymore. She was wide awake and looking around the room as if she sensed something. She whispered, "Some one is here, Langly."

"Probably just Frohike." Langly replied.

"No. Some one is here. Right here in this very place."

Josephine got up, stepping out into the dark hallway.

She walked towards the door, where she sensed someone was standing. She crept slowly, Langly following behind her.

She signaled for him to hide. She gasped suddenly. It was Peter! She stepped out in to the open. "Peter.

What are you doing here?"

"I came to talk to you." Peter said, his voice growing deeper.

"What ever for, you ninny," Josephine said.

"Because I wanted to tell you something." Peter said, stepping closer to her.

"Spit it out and be gone."

"I came to tell you that I broke it off with you because of Maria. I still love you. I do." Peter said, looking into her anger filled eyes.

She slapped him. "You fool! You came to tell me this? How did you know Mulder's name?"

"I can't tell you that. I'm sorry." Peter said. His hand went up to his face.

"Get out. I don't want to talk to you. I broke it off with you a long time ago in my own mind. I broke off the feelings and hoping that you'd say what you just did. I don't want to see you, you user. You used me to get what you want. Never again. You fool," Josephine said. "Oh, and I hope the slut you spent your night with before coming here to profess love enjoyed it.

I'm sure she did." Josephine spat at him before he could reply.

Langly wondered how she knew that. He watched her walk back, her anger making her stride bigger than usual.

She said, "Leave before I decide to call someone else."

"Wait. She and I mean nothing."

"Shut up and go. You're not only up to having any woman that crosses your path, you're up to screw someone over in the end by fooling them again. I was your fool once, I won't do it again."

A small voice made Samantha stop her shouts. It was the voice of a little girl, a frightened little girl who was terrified about what was going on. She listened for a while to the incessant cries of the child.

"No, please, I want to go home to my daddy. I don't like it here. Please, stop, please stop what you are doing to me." The young girls sobs could be heard.

Samantha felt tears come to her own eyes. She remembered being like that when she was little, crying out to go home to her brother rather than her father.

She remembered the fear, the pleading as an innocent sent to hell too soon. She listened to the girl, remembering her own testing when she was eight.

"Please, don't hurt me! Please!" The young child started to scream, words no longer in them. Samantha connected her mind with the child's.

She whispered, [Little girl, it is going to be alright. Just don't struggle. Just listen to my voice.]

[Aunt Samantha?]

God, the little girl was Alexa. She was angry now. She whispered back, [Yes. It's going to be alright. I'll get you out of this as soon as I can. Just stay calm.] [I'm so afraid, Aunt Samantha. I'm so afraid that something will happen to me and I'll die when I go home. I don't want to die.]

Samantha cursed the aliens. She replied back in soothing tones, [I'll make sure you're okay when we get out of here. I will make sure you are safe. Just let me do something to get us out of here. I think it's time the Resistance takes the next step.] She got up, still covered in Black Oil, and more falling on her. She walked towards the child, breaking the belt that holds subjects down, especially the young child. She lifted the child up, walking to her chair. She set the child down, explaining, "Alexa, I'm going to figure out how to teleport us out of here. It is time. I might have to leave your uncle John for a bit before safety can be assured. Will you tell him that I love him. I'm going to send you home. Tell him I will be back soon. I'm going to take them on a goose chase. Tell him I will come home to him soon. Soon."

Alexa nodded. She said, "I will, Aunt Samantha. I will. Is my daddy going to be okay?"

"He'll be fine once you're back. I'm going to send you back now. Now, don't be afraid," Samantha said. She formed her and Doggett's home in her mind. She envisioned the living room. She would send the child there. That way Alexa could tell Doggett right away.

She sent the child off, her energy draining from her as she moved the child from the hellish torture.

"Torture me! I have resisted! Leave my family alone!

I'll stay for a very long time if need be! Torture me!"

An ABH stepped forward. "You have resisted, but we will not bring your family into it as you have asked.

Your punishment is the removing of dead, extra tests and a new test we have prepared. Step this way."

Samantha felt the tears stream down her cheeks. She was going to go to a horrible place, more horrible than the one she was already in. All to save a little girl from becoming what she is today. She sobbed as she walked, feeling as if no help would come to her in her time of need.

Doggett stared up at the ceiling, holding his son close to him. He could not sleep. Despite knowing in his soul that she loved him, he could not shake this feeling that something was wrong. That something was going to happen.

He felt the tears stream down his cheeks, knowing where she was, hating the fact that she had to be treated like that, as if she was just a person to be disposed of at will. He felt himself ache, his heart ache, his soul felt constricted. He wanted her back so badly.

He kissed his son's forehead, trying to contain the emotions he felt. He was sad, lost feeling lost again.

He was dying inside, and the only way to save him was to give her back to him.

He closed his eyes. Her face floated in his vision, yet this time it was different. She was being tortured, being brutally tortured, and he felt anger and fear wash over himself.

Curse his imagination for dredging up false realities, curse them for taking her in the first place. Curse the entire alien race for doing this to humans, as if they were nothing; as if they didn't feel. He felt like screaming, felt like breaking something, but held his boy with tenderness.

Andy was draped over his father, head on his father's chest, arms wrapped around till they couldn't reach anymore. Lying on his stomach. He was breathing in time with his father, breathing in time to a hidden beat.

He felt like hugging his son to him and never letting go, he felt like sacrificing himself for Samantha.

Anything to take away her pain; anything to take her sadness away. He began to sob heavily, the pain and torture on his too much to bear.

Andy woke up, looking into his father's face. He put his small hand on his father's cheeks, taking a tear from them. He looked just as sad as Doggett did in that instant. Doggett sat up, holding his son. He sobbed into his son's shoulder, holding him to his body as close as he could. He rocked back and forth.

"You're all I have left till she comes home."

"Dad, she'll come home. She will. I know it." He held his dad close to himself, feeling his father's tears stain his shirt. He whispered, "I know how much it hurts you to have her taken again. I feel your pain."

"Oh my boy, she might be right here if I would have gone along. She might be right here. I failed to protect her, I failed." Doggett sobbed.

Andy put his ear to his father's chest. He could hear his father's heart beat, and though the heart of a person has nothing to do with the emotional heart, he could swear he could hear his father's heart break and shatter into so many pieces that he didn't know if he had the capability to heal his father again. It would take his mother, and until she returned, his father's heart would be broken into a million shards, the glue no longer there to hold them into place.

He sighed, wishing that his father would let go his guilt. He knew that his father felt guilty about his mother's recurrent abductions. He knew that his father blamed himself. He knew that he could not change that.

My weakness is you

It aches inside of me

It creaks and moans out to me

I feel the urge to find you

I feel the urge to need you so completely (My Weakness - My own poem)

Samantha was placed into a room, her fear increased, her heart breaking. She saw a table, a table with four metal holders; ones for her wrists, ones for her ankles. The ABH lead her to the table, placing her onto it.

She felt the straps go down onto her body. She felt the light turn on over her head. A frightening thought occurred to her. What if they wanted to dispose of her?

An ABH stepped forward. "No, Samantha. We are not going to destroy you. We are only going to discipline you in a way that will make you think twice of resisting at the tests."

Samantha looked frightened. She saw a red light come.

It seared her belly, making her scream. She writhed under the laser, this one being the worst, and she couldn't even make the pain disappear for her. She howled. "John! Forgive me, I should have not resisted!"

The ABHs watched her with no emotions on their faces.

They took Black Oil, pouring it directly into her wound. She bucked against her restraints, screaming loudly in pain and suffering. It's ice like grip locked onto her now open wound. She tossed her head back and forth, her eyes feral.

Blood of a dark reddish black oozed out under the restraints. She was being tortured for her crime in the up most way. She felt them seal up her wound. An ABH said, "It is time we start the new phase of testing on you. You are ready. We must have more AHH's. We will use you to make them."

"NO! NO!" She saw a syringe and they drew the blood and a few of her eggs. She screamed. "Don't do this to me! FORGIVE ME!"

She heard an ABH say, "We will not leave you barren.

We will use this DNA to make many clones. Now, we must make sure you are carrying child upon your return."

"No. NO! You will not do this," she snapped the restraints. "You will not." She could only think of leaving now. She saw Doggett's face float before her eyes. She knew he was her one weakness, and she wanted to get back to him.

Frohike charged into the hall. "What is going on out here? I'm trying to sleep."

"Tell him that." Josephine spat back at him.

"Langly, did you already make her mad?" Frohike yelled.

"No, but he did," Langly said.

Frohike followed Langly's voice. He said, "Who did?"

"He did." Langly pointed to Peter.

"You made her mad, and now I'm crabby. Who let you in any ways?" Frohike demanded.

"I let myself in. Locks are easy to pick you know.

Josephine knew I was here before anyone else did."

Peter said. He towered over Frohike.

"Yeah well, maybe you should leave the lady alone.

She'd be calling you if she wanted to talk to you. In a better timing than at 4 in the morning."

Peter laughed. "I don't know about that. I'd say that you two got fooled by her. She really wants to see me, I have something she wants."

Josephine came back out. "I'm sure you think you have me figured all out. You're hiding something, and when I find out what it is, I'll do what I must."

"Leave here, come live with me."

"And what, waste a good day of cleaning and good pizza? You're such a conceited big headed pompous ass that I forgot a long time ago. You make my flesh crawl. I'd leave before I force you to. Remember, I'm meaner than you. Size doesn't matter in a fight.

Besides, even if you were to beat me, I would not fear it."

Peter sighed. "I wouldn't beat you. You know that."

"But you'd double deal, double cross and hurt me anyway you could that did not require physical force.

These three may not be the pretty boys, but they have big, good hearts. Something with which they can achieve their own beauty. Besides, you always laughed at the causes I'd take on. Get lost."

"Fine. I give in... for now. I will talk to you again soon." Peter said. He opened the door. Josephine slumped for a moment.

Frohike said, "Who was that, Pretty Lady?"

"My ex. From about 5 years ago. The fool dumps me because the suicidal case I take care of screws me, and now he expects me to do what he wants."

"He seems like what Krycek used to be," Langly said.

"Haven't met him yet. In the morning I suppose. Look, I'm sorry you two. This is my problem and here I am dragging you into it. I'm sorry." She looked down to the floor for a moment.

"Hey, hey, it's not a problem," Langly said. "A lot of stupid people try to do stupid things to us already.

It's not your fault that this dumbass showed up."

"Yeah. That's all he is," Frohike said.

"Thanks you two. He just makes my blood boil. I hate him for what he did to me," Josephine said.

"I can tell."

"Can I play a game on one of your guy's computers?"

"Langly, that's your department."

"I only want to play a bit of solitaire, that's all."

Josephine said.

Langly lead her to his computer. She sat down, on her feet. "I'm too short, see."

Langly thought it was cute, she fit right on the chair, on her feet. She said, "Now, get this to that game, I hate when people mess with my own settings on my PC at home."

Krycek felt a feather like object brush his face. He opened his eyes to see Alexa's face staring down at him. "Daddy!" Krycek sat up, taking his baby girl into his lap.

"Where did you come from? You were taken, now you are here. How?" Krycek asked, tears in his eyes.

"Aunt Samantha sent me home. She's in trouble now, she's going to be hurt. She told me to tell Uncle John that she might be away from him for awhile, but that she loves him terribly. That's what she told me to do."

Krycek turned to look at Jane. His eyes were full of concern. "Is she going to be okay? Did she tell you anything else?"

"No. No she didn't Daddy. She sent me home, telling me that she would have to be away from Uncle John for a while."

Krycek said, "Jane, take Alexa. I'm going to wake Doggett and tell him the news. Keep her safe."

Jane nodded. She took Alexa on to her lap. She watched Krycek go up the stairs with a slow leaded step. She knew that he knew what he had to tell Doggett about Samantha would upset him.

When Krycek got upstairs, he tapped softly on Doggett's door. Doggett's gruff voice could be heard, "Yeah."

Krycek stepped into the room. "Alexa is back."

"How did she come back?" Doggett asked, sitting up, cradling his son.

"Samantha sent her home. Alexa said that Samantha is going to be away from you for awhile. I'd say she's going to be punished for what happened with Alexa."

Doggett cursed softly. "What did she have to go do that for. She tryin' to get herself killed?"

Krycek said, "She's just trying to save others from being like her, that's all."

"I miss her so terribly. If she comes home tortured more than normal, I don't know what I'll do," Doggett whispered.

"She will come home to you, loving you all the same."

"I know. I just hate her bein' gone like this. Thanks for tellin' me that Alexa is back and what Samantha told her to tell me. I appreciate it."

"Not a problem, Doggett." Krycek said. He could see the pain in Doggett's eyes, the crushed spirit trying to take that dangerous climb back up to being healed.

He stepped back into the hall, sighing. Samantha's absence was killing Doggett, he could tell. He hated to have to tell Doggett what Alexa had told him. He went down the stairs to see Alexa asleep on her mother's lap. It made him smile, but not very big.

Samantha was frozen in place suddenly. She glared at her captors, wishing death to them. She cried out when she felt a needle puncture the back of her neck. She slumped, and was placed onto the table then.

She floated in darkness, floated in pain and fear. She did not know what was going on around her, but she feared the worst of it. She couldn't think of where she was, what she was doing or how she was being effected, but she knew deep down that it was bad.

She could see one face in her mind. Doggett's. She could see his face, his smiling face, his intense electric eyes staring at her with love in them. She could see his joy when he was with her. She feared what he looked like without her by his side.

The ABHs were working on subduing her and now they were running the tests on her. They would allow her to go home unimpregnated, knowing that she would resist and win if they weren't careful.

They sealed a band of needles around her forehead the punctured her, forcing her to bleed. They took Black Oil, pouring it over the band, letting it seep into the cuts. Her body still bucked with the pain, her screams still erupted from her lips.

They sealed her wound in her stomach, and they applied healing hands to the wound. She looked at them with glassy eyes, part from pain, part from tranquilizers that had taken full effect. She was the most valuable test subject they had ever seen. She was the strongest, the best trained. She could do anything.

The only problem was that she could bring their demise. They still would not destroy her. Destroying her would mean having to start over from scratch, start over from another very young child and pray that they would do as well as she had.

The ABHs released her ankles and wrists. They would take her to the chair, place her back in familiar testing. They would watch for a bit how the test they had just finished would affect her.

She was too important for them to lose. They knew this, they knew that handing her over to the Cancer Man would only bring their demise. They could not, would not concede that to him. They knew that she was too valuable for that man to have her in his possession. It was all she was to them. A test subject and a possession they could use at any time.

Another test subject saw what they were doing to her.

They had been there a few times, and knew who the woman that the ABHs were carrying was. She knew that Samantha Mulder had sacrificed herself to this torture for the little girl that she had sent home to Earth.

She prayed for Samantha Mulder. Samantha was her salvation, she knew without her she would die.

Once Samantha was secured in her chair, they left her to wake up, finding her back in the chair. They couldn't kill John Doggett due to the fact that she would take her own life having nothing left. They would leave her family alone. She had surrendered herself over to torture already.

Langly came out of his room, to find out what was going to be made for breakfast. He found Josephine asleep at the computer. He smiled, tapping her on the shoulder lightly.

She jumped. "What?"

"It's morning. We're going to get breakfast and then we'll go and meet the rest of the group at Doggett's."

Langly said. "You fell asleep at my computer."

"Oh, sorry. I just sort of dozed off I guess. "She got up, stretching. "Who makes breakfast here?"

"Usually Frohike," Langly said.

"I see." Josephine walked into the kitchen. Frohike stood at the stove making breakfast. She snuck up on him, and poked him in the side.

Frohike jumped, "You Punk-Ass!" He turned around holding his spatula to find Josephine standing behind him. "Pretty Lady?"

"Sorry, I couldn't resist. I miss my kitties. Bonnie must be dying without me to feed her," Josephine whined.

Frohike looked at Langly, mouthing the words, 'she has cats?' '3.' Langly mouthed back.

Josephine took a bite of a piece of bacon. "Not bad at all. Just cook it a bit longer and you'll have it perfected."

Frohike looked at her. "You want to cook it?"

"By all means, go ahead. I was just giving you a tip.

You don't have to take it."

Frohike sighed. "Alright."

Josephine said, "TV news, is it any good?"

Langly shrugged. "Don't watch much of it."

"CNN it is then," Josephine said. She turned on the television that was set on the top of the microwave.

She said, "Got to watch my news so I can keep up with the politics."

Langly and Frohike watched her for a moment. Langly asked, "When is Audrey coming back?"

"Today. They held her over night again to make sure the drug was flushed from her system. That was a scare there."

Langly nodded. "Think they'll get along?"

"Does it matter. They are both stubborn as mules from what I can tell," Frohike said.

They ate breakfast, and Byers and Melanie walked into the kitchen. Josephine said, "Good morning! We're going to go over to Doggett's after breakfast. Sit, eat some."

Byers smiled. He liked Josephine. She was a very nice person. Melanie liked her too. She sat down next to Byers. "John, pass me the salt."

Byers did as he was told. He handed it to her, asking, "What are we watching?"

"CNN Headline News," Josephine said. The channel had gone to commercial. "Damn, I forgot my notebook. I'll just have to memorize it and write it down later."

Langly asked, "What notebook?"

"My CNN notebook. I tend to have a habit of writing down the news of the day for future reference."

"Ah. You'll have to pick it up when you go to Marshall to pick things up," Langly said.

"Yeah," Josephine said. She wiped her mouth, then got up to place her dishes into the sink. "When we get there, who's all going to be there?"

"Who knows with this group. Some of us might not show up, and some of us will. We'll see when we get there."

Josephine nodded. "It has been a very interesting past few days. Ah well, anything to see D.C. Do you think the 'Oh By the Way Lady' still gives tours?"

Langly laughed. "You'll have to ask Mulder that one."

"Maybe I will."

When they arrived to Doggett's, Krycek answered the door. He said, "Doggett's up stairs. He's had a rough night, so be careful."

Alexa ran up, hugging Frohike. "Uncle Frohike!"

Frohike said, "So, how's the little Pretty Lady today?"

"Good. I'm home with Daddy," Alexa said.

"That's good." Frohike patted the child on the head.

Josephine walked into the house. She looked around, noticing the pictures on the mantle immediately. "Nice place."

Krycek asked, "Who's she?"

"Oh, I'm Josephine Canon. I moved here with Langly when we went to get Jeremiah." Josephine out stretched her hand to Krycek. "You must be Krycek."

"Why do you say that?" Krycek said.

"Those pictures, I'm assuming the man is Doggett. That leaves you to be Krycek," Josephine said.

"Very observant." Krycek caught her talent to pick up on information without another noticing. He said, "Sit down, I'm going to see if Doggett wants to come down stairs or not."

The Gunmen, Melanie and Josephine all sat down.

Melanie said, "It's good to see Alexa safe and sound.

How did she return?"

"Samantha sent her home last night from the testing session," Jane said. "That's the tough part for John.

He's blaming himself for all kinds of things and he is missing her so terribly."

Melanie nodded. She took Byers hand into hers, giving it a squeeze. "Think he'll be alright?"

"We can hope so," Jane said.

Doggett came down the stairs. He looked haggard and worn. Josephine gasped when he walked into the room.

She could feel his pain. She was worried about what he might think of doing. She had seen it before.

Doggett dragged himself to the chair. He sat down, his eyes closing. "Who's she?"

Langly said, "She's the woman who housed us in Marshall. Her name is Josephine."

Doggett nodded. He was too tired and too upset to give his usual courtesies. He put his head into his hands, looking more and more tired as the moments wore on.

Josephine said, "I'm sure things will be alright." She hoped that the line would not upset him more than he already was.

Doggett looked up, "What did you say?"

"I said, I'm sure things will be alright. We just have to have patience sometimes. I know what it feels like to feel hopeless." Josephine whispered. She was trying to get through to Doggett.

"Yeah, sometimes your patience level just snaps. I don't know if I can have much more," Doggett said, tired.

"I met Samantha. She'll come back, don't worry about that," Josephine said softly.

"How can I not," Doggett said, too tired to say much more or argue with her.

"I don't know, I can't give you all of the answers."

Josephine said.

"Yeah well, if I don't find out how to do that, I might not make it," Doggett said. He leaned back, eyes closed.

Krycek said, "Hey, we already decided that she would make it back. We know she will. We know she find a way to come back to you."

Samantha woke up, looking around her. She noticed that she was back in her chair, her wrists and ankles sealed down again. She felt awful, but that was to be expected with all of the pain she had endured in the past few hours.

She felt drained, too tired to fight them. She would finish this testing session with no other disturbances, praying they would send her home. She missed Doggett, and now all she wanted to do was go home to him.

She felt the chaffed wrists and ankles throb in immense pain that she had not expected. This was the least favorite part of her testing. The sores and abrasions left over. She knew that Doggett would blame himself for this.

She felt tears of shame on her cheeks. She couldn't help but break down, feeling as if she had somehow let Doggett down. He was left behind, and her she was still in testing. She had surrendered herself to horrible testing rather than Resist Them. She felt as if she had betrayed the whole Resistance by this.

She felt guilty for leaving her boy to stay with Doggett. She knew that Andy had his work cut out for him when she was gone. Keeping Doggett sane while she was gone was difficult for her son. She understood this.

She prayed that soon her testing session would end, that the ABHs would take her home and leave her to be with her family. She missed them with all of her heart and soul, knowing that it ripped them apart for her to be up here.

She knew that Doggett felt guilty for her going up rather than him. Ever since he himself had really experienced testing, he felt the guilt of her going instead of him. It made her sad to know that he blamed himself for something he could not control.

She wished she could move, wished she could heal herself all that quickly, wished she could block the pain from her tired form. She would wait to get home, and heal herself body and soul in his arms, in his embrace, in his love.

She hoped against hopes that she would be sent home.

She prayed for her salvation and her freedom as a person to seek happiness. She wanted to only go home and see Doggett, even if it might be one last time.

She knew that it would not be, but if it were, it would be her piece of heaven.

Skinner stepped through the door at Doggett's. He saw the scene before him, disregarding dealing with finding out who Josephine was until later. Right now he had to make sure that Doggett was going to be alright.

He asked, "Doggett, how are you holding up?"

Doggett turned tired painful eyes to him. They were intense and the heart break was written all over his face. Skinner could only look away. The pain was too great.

He sat down in a remaining chair, saying, "We'll get her back. They'll give her back to us. They always do.

It just might take some time for her to return to us."

Doggett choked out, "She's up there, and it is a hell she should have been able to avoid. She shouldn't be up there. She should be right here."

Fatigue had taken all of Doggett's senses over. He got up, walking to the dining room. He knocked a chair over, shouting, "She's up there! They just might decide that she's not valuable anymore. What do They care if she lives or dies! They don't care! She could be dead, and where would I be?"

The room was hushed. They didn't know what to do with this. He turned around, his eyes intense and full of such inhuman pain. "Well, what would become of me?"

A knock came to door. Byers opened the door, letting Mulder and Scully in. Mulder ran to where Doggett was.

Doggett had slumped down onto his knees. He was holding himself up by a chair, sobbing.

Mulder caught him before he fell, holding him, trying to get through to him. Mulder shouted, "Some one, we got to get him somewhere that won't remind him of her so much. Being in this house with out her is what is killing him," Scully said, "Alright, all places that are open and available, make room just in case. I'm going to make sure our room is open. Gunmen, is there any room with the six of you there?"

Each Gunmem shook their heads no. Frohike said, "We're sorry."

"Don't bother apologizing. Mulder, take him to our place. He needs to get out of this house before it is too late and he does something rash." Scully gave the order, authority filling her voice.

Mulder helped Doggett up, leading him towards the door. He took him the two blocks to their house, hoping that Doggett would not resist at any point.

Doggett was too tired to fight.

When they arrived, Mulder lead Doggett upstairs to the guest room. He said, "Samantha will come back to you.

I guarantee it. She will be home soon."

Doggett turned pained eyes towards Mulder. "What if she isn't?"

"She will. You get some real rest. You're here at my house, so the memories at home don't kill you. It's going to be alright, I promise. I know how you feel."

Doggett sighed, laying down on the bed. "Keep Andy away from me while I'm like this. I don't want my boy to see me like this too much while she's gone."

"Alright. I will send him to the Gunmen's. He'll be fine there."

"Thanks Mulduh," Doggett said, closing his eyes.

"Not a problem." His reply landed on deaf ears.

Doggett was fast asleep.

Scully came into the house. "How is he doing, Mulder?"

"Finally asleep. He probably didn't sleep very well last night, if at all," Mulder said softly. "I don't know if he can take her being abducted much more."

"I can tell," Scully said softly. "She sacrificed herself for two people now. I think she is trying to do something for the Resistance that she shouldn't have to do. She's being very brave about the whole thing."

"Yeah. She's got more strength than I ever have hoped to have. She's got more in her than me," Mulder said.

"Now Mulder, don't go telling yourself something like that. You're very strong too. You have to remember that. She may have to be up there and have to handle that hell that they put her through, but you saw terrible things too. You can't compare yourself to her or to John. You are all equal. We all are," Scully said.

Mulder sighed. "Scully, she sacrificed herself to save you, to save Jeremiah, to save Alexa. She did things I don't know if I could do."

"Mulder, of course you could do that. If it came down to saving someone you love, you'd do it in a heartbeat, and without even thinking about it. You'd do something rash, hoping that your leap in logic would solve the problem. You always have, and you always will. That is what makes you so attractive," Scully said.

"You think so?" He gave her a lopsided grin.

"Do you even have to ask that, Mulder? Don't be a goose," Scully said, smiling back at him. "Now, what do we do with Andy?"

"We send him to the Gunmen. Dogg Man said that he didn't want his son to see him like this while she was gone."

"Alright. I'll tell them that. We'll keep him here while she's gone. It'll keep him sane if we have some fun, or try to while she's up there. He needs to let go for awhile. It'll kill him if he doesn't" Scully said softly.

Mulder nodded. "We'll have to borrow his Star Trek collection. He'll like that."

"Yeah," Scully said with a smile. "I knew you'd find a way to make him watch all those movies," Mulder said, "Do you mock me, Agent Scully?"

"Of course not, Agent Mulder. You simply mocked yourself there," Scully said, getting the last shot in before he could reply.

Title: Shattered Halcyon (Part Six: Reunions So Sweet) Author: Cinnamon Scully

The phone rang at Doggett's. Krycek answered it.

"Doggett Residence," Mulder said, "Tell the Gunmen they are taking Andy home with them. Dogg Man doesn't feel up to taking care of him while Samantha's gone. He said he doesn't want the boy to see him like this any more."

Krycek replied, "I'll tell them. Don't you go worrying about Andy. I'm going to keep an eye on everyone else with Skinner. I have a funny feeling until your sister comes back that it is going to be one big roller coaster."

Mulder replied back, his voice tiny through the phone, "Yeah. I'd say so. Can you bring over Dogg Man's Star Trek collection? I thought we might watch that to provide some entertainment for him."

"Alright. I'm going to run those movies to your place.

I'll take Alexa and Jane home, and we should contact again after all that is done." Krycek said.

"Thanks Krycek. I appreciate all you're doing. I'm sure he finally get the sleep he so needs. He looks exhausted," Mulder said.

"Not a problem. He looked exhausted last night. He really needs to get some rest. I'm sure he'll feel a bit better after that. I'll get those things done, and we'll have to see if there is anything else to get done."

"Yep. See you in a few," Mulder said.

Krycek hung up. He said, "Gunmen, take Andy home with you. I'm going to drop off these Star Trek movies to Mulders. He said something about giving a Doggett an escape. Skinner, we'll talk after that."

Skinner nodded. He said, "Alright. I'll stay here with these guys until you get back."

The Gunmen looked at Andy. Frohike said, "You're coming home with us, kiddo."

Andy gave him a small smile. "Is Dad going to be okay?"

"Your father will be okay eventually, Andy. It just takes time for him to feel better right now." Byers tried to explain to the child.

Frohike said, "We have to stop at the hospital and see if Audrey is going to come home today."

Langly nodded. "We'll see if she is being released, we'll get Andy home and then what?"

Skinner said, "How about you give one of us a call.

Find out what else is going on. I think that Krycek and I have something to discuss about what we need to do next."

The Gunmen, Melanie and Josephine and Andy all left the house. They went out to their van to head to the hospital. Frohike hoped that Audrey would be released today. He was curious as to how Audrey and Josephine would get along.

A knock came to the door, and Mulder let Krycek in. He took the bag of movies from Krycek. He said, "How did everyone take the news?"

"Fairly decent. Gunmen are going to see if Audrey is going to come home today. I'm going to talk to Skinner about getting Doggett some leave. I wish we could just muscle Kersh around. Let me think on that one. I think I have an idea."

Mulder gave him a devilish smile. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"We could ask Jeremiah Smith to play the part of Samantha Mulder and trick him into letting Doggett have some leave. Without her, I can't really push him around." Krycek said.

"We think too much alike now, did you know that. I'll get a hold of Jeremiah. You tell Skinner the plan.

We'll only use Jeremiah as a last resort to get Kersh to do what we want. I'm telling you, this is going to be big if we can pull it off."

"No kidding. You just keep Doggett thinking happy thoughts and sane while I play some games. I just hope I don't run into Marita any time soon."

"I agree. Be careful," Mulder said. He didn't want to have another crisis on his hands.

"I better get going. You enjoy." Krycek said, stepping back out to walk back to Doggett's place. He wanted to get this done with Skinner as soon as he could.

Mulder took the movies to the living room, setting them on the coffee table. Scully asked, "He brought them over already?"

"Yep. We should let Dogg Man sleep until about 5 or so, I'd guess. We should make a nice dinner. That's more of your department than mine. I can't cook very well, and you know that."

Scully nodded. "I agree. Let him sleep. He's very tired and that over exhaustion will push him over the edge. He's too tired to think rationally any ways."

"I know. Krycek is going to try and get Kersh to give Doggett some leave through Skinner. If that doesn't work, we're going to talk to Jeremiah Smith."

"Mulder, you aren't going to have him pose as your sister, are you?" Scully said, a smile breaking out on her face. "That's cruel to Kersh. I love the plan."

"I thought you might. Where are the little ones?" Mulder asked.

"Asleep yet. They're in their rooms. They'll be down in a little while raising hell I'm sure," Scully said.

"Now, I don't know if I should take that as a strike against me or not," Mulder said, leaning in to kiss her.

"That's up to you, I'd guess," Scully said, kissing him back. "It is one of those things you can take either way, Mulder."

"How about I take it this way," Mulder said, dipping her backwards, kissing her. "Is that good?"

"Perfect. Now, we better get ready for two little girls and a little boy coming down to pester us. I don't think they should see Mommy and Daddy wrestling, now do you?"

Mulder put his pouty face on. "Oh alright. I'll behave. Only if you promise me we can misbehave later."

"Mulder! You're so naughty," Scully said, giving him another kiss.

"Mommy?" A little girl voice asked quietly.

When they arrived to the hospital, Frohike walked into Audrey's room. She said, "Mel, they said I can go home. Whatever drugs that were in my system, they're gone now," Frohike said, "That's great news. Get dressed and we'll leave."

She did as told, and they left to go home. When they reached the van, an argument was going on. "I will too be combing your hair, Langly. It is driving me crazy."

"It's fine the way it is," Langly said.

"I'm combing it, and that is final," Josephine said.

Langly sighed. "Fine."

Audrey asked, "Who are you?"

"Hi, I'm Josephine. I traveled home with Mulder and Jeremiah, and Mister who is going to get his hair combed by me."

Audrey smiled. She said, "I'm Audrey."

"I guessed that. I feel tall now," Josephine said.

"Yep. I'm the shortest. I'm even shorter than Mel!"

She sat down on the floor of the van. She asked, "So, what do you do?"

"Politics. Big on those," Josephine said.

Audrey smiled. "We need someone like that, don't we Mel?"

Frohike smiled. "Yep. First things first, we're taking Andy home with us. Doggett had a rough night last night."

Audrey said, "That's so sad."

Andy was sitting in between Langly and Josephine. He was asleep on Josephine's shoulder. Josephine said, "When we get home, we'll have to make sure he gets the sleep he needs. The poor little boy, having to see his father upset like that."

Audrey nodded. "Mel, is there anything to eat when we get home. I'm sick of hospital food," Frohike said, "Doritos are above the fridge as always."

"I'm too short."

"Get Langly or Byers to get it for you then."

Melanie said, "I'm taller than both of them, Frohike.

I think I could get them for her if need be," Frohike said, "Thanks."

Melanie was the tallest in the group. An inch shorter than Mulder and Doggett, she could always help out when one of the others couldn't reach something. She smiled.

Byers said, "Remember, if Jimmy or Yves shows up, we keep them away from the child. I don't think Andy will handle someone hanging around him very well."

"That's right," Frohike said. "Jimmy will only aggravate a lot of things. That dolt."

Byers rolled his eyes. "Any ways, the main objective is to keep Andy here calm."

"What is it, sweetie?" Scully asked her little girl.

Mulder noticed how much the little girl looked just like his sister at that age.

The little girl said, "Is Uncle John going to be alright?"

Scully sighed. "We don't know yet, honey. I want your sister and brother and you to be extra quiet today.

Uncle John is staying here, and he needs his sleep. We need everyone to be extra well behaved today."

Teresa nodded. "I will be extra nice today. I don't like seeing anyone unhappy."

"I know you don't, honey. Why don't we go to the kitchen and make you some breakfast?" Scully asked her child.

"Okay. Jack and Kathy are coming down soon." Teresa said.

"Alright, honey. Remember be extra quiet and nice today."

Mulder watched Scully and Teresa go into the kitchen.

He smiled. Scully had a way with their children. He wanted another one, just because he loved having children around. He'd have to talk to Scully about having another child.

Jack and Kathy came tearing into the kitchen . Scully said, "You two, be extra quiet and nice today. Your uncle John is staying here for now until your aunt Samantha comes home. He's had a rough past two days or so, so you guys all be extra quiet. He's trying to sleep."

Jack asked, "Is Andy okay?"

"Yep. He's staying with your paranoid uncles," Mulder said.

"He's with Uncle Frohike?" Jack pouted.

Scully gave Mulder an evil eye. "Mulder, we're going to have to talk about this one later."

Mulder shrugged. "Is it my fault, Scully?"

"Later, Mulder." Scully's voice held amusement.

Mulder sighed. "Alright. It's not a big deal really.

Let's just make sure things go well today."

Kathy pulled on Mulder's pants leg. "Daddy, I want to sit on your lap."

Mulder picked her up, placing her down on his lap.

"Did you miss Daddy?"

"I missed Daddy a whole lot. Why do you have to go away so much?" Kathy asked. She had her mother's eyes, and they were pleading with him for an answer.

"Because Daddy had to save Mommy. I don't like being away from you either, baby girl. You just make sure that Mommy is okay for me, and Daddy won't have to go anywhere away from you."

Kathy turned her face into her father's chest. She giggled. "you're a liar, Daddy."

"Even she doesn't believe me. Scully, what did you teach this child?"

"Guess it's something passed down."

Mulder sighed. "Kathy, it's called work. It's something everyone has to do at some point."

"I know. Why does Aunt Samantha have to go away?"

"That's different. She has to do things that she doesn't want to, but she has to," Mulder said.

"Why?"

"Because she does," Mulder said.

"Why?" Kathy said, more imploring.

"Because if you don't stop asking why, the tickle monster is going to get you," Mulder said.

Kathy giggled. "Will not."

"Will too. Here he comes. He's going to get you!"

Mulder said, tickling his daughter. She squirmed in his lap, trying to get away from the tickle monster.

"Say Uncle!"

"No!" Kathy squealed.

"Say it!" He tickled her more.

"NO!" Kathy shouted at her dad.

Scully said, "I think she's more stubborn than you are, Mulder."

"We'll see about that," he started to tickle her sides, making her wiggle on his lap.

"Uncle, Daddy, Uncle!" Kathy finally broke.

"See," Mulder said.

Krycek stepped back into Doggett's house. He said, "Skinner, you are going to get him some leave, right?"

"Without a question. If I even have to get down on my hands and knees to kiss that man's ass, I'll do it.

Doggett is not going to be able to work in the field until she is returned. You and I both know that."

Krycek sighed. "I know. If Kersh refuses to listen to you, get a hold of either Mulder or myself. We'll call Jeremiah Smith, and he'll convince Kersh."

"Are you going to talk him into being Samantha."

"Yep. Sounds like a good idea to me. If it works, we'll have him where we want him." Krycek said, sighing.

"Alright," Skinner said. "I'll do what I can for him."

Krycek sat down. "You think that Samantha will come home alright?"

"She better. Doggett is almost over the edge already.

I wouldn't want to think what might happen to him if she didn't," Skinner said, sighing. "Not to mention the effect it would have on Mulder."

"Yeah. I know that Mulder is holding up well, but inside it tears him up when his sister is taken again.

He feels just as guilty for her having to be up there as Doggett does."

"I know," Skinner said. "He hides it well, good thing he has Scully or he'd have done something he shouldn't do by now already. I can't imagine what would happen to Mulder if Scully was taken again."

"Don't say that. It'll happen if we're not careful.

Jane, will you write a note to Samantha just in case she should return and wonder where Doggett is."

Jane nodded. "Alright Alex."

Krycek turned back to Skinner. "You and Janis should wait to get married until she returns. It would be a good plan I think that we have everyone back safe and sound before we try to do anything happy for a bit."

"Good plan. I don't think I could have my wedding without everyone here any ways," Skinner said. "Come on, Janis. We should get Timothy from your mother's.

We'll go home from there."

"Good plan, Walter," Janis said.

Krycek shook Skinner's hand. "Hey, remember, get that smartass to do what we want. I don't feel like pulling a big gun just yet. I want to go home with my girls."

"Yeah, I can tell."

"Daddy, I want to go home." Alexa whined.

"We're going, we're going. I just had to talk to Uncle Walter here." Krycek said, smiling.

Skinner laughed. "You're daughter is so adorable."

"I know. Isn't she though." Krycek said.

Skinner and Janis left the house to head home. They gave their goodbyes, leaving Jane and Krycek.

Krycek said, "Well, now that mess is taken care of for us, what would you like to do?"

"I want some ice cream, Daddy. Can I have a puppy?"

Alexa asked. She had wanted a puppy for a very long time.

"I don't know, sweetie. We'll have to ask your mother." Krycek said.

"Get the girl a puppy. She deserves one."

"Did you hear that, Alexa? You can get a puppy!"

Krycek said, picking his girl up. "Let's get our ice cream, and we can go puppy shopping."

When the Gunmen arrived home, everyone piled into the house. Josephine disappeared down the hall. She reappeared with a comb in her hand. "I'm combing that hair of yours, Langly."

Langly sighed. "Alright, but go easy on it, will you?"

"You want to see what can be done with a comb to hair?" Josephine sighed. She flipped her hair over, taking a brush and combing it. She was pulling tangles out as she went. "See, it's not that big of deal. Your turn."

She stood behind him, taking the comb through his hair starting at the roots moving down. "Ouch, I said easy."

"It wouldn't hurt if you combed your hair more often."

Frohike and Audrey watched in fascination as Josephine combed Langly's hair. This was the first time Langly had let anyone comb his hair.

Byers led Andy by the hand down to the room they had set up for the children when they stayed there. Andy walked beside Byers, his head hanging low. Yawns escaped the child frequently.

Melanie opened the door, letting the boy enter. Byers pulled the covers of a bed back, helping Andy into it.

He covered the child, whispering, "Sleep well."

Melanie said once they stepped back into the hall, "Poor boy. He's had such a rough past few weeks. First he's abducted and returned, and then his mother is taken away. That family has had it so rough."

"I know. I can only hope that things will be alright.

We should let him sleep for a while, and we'll wake him for supper. The poor boy needs his sleep," Byers said softly.

They went down the hall, hearing Langly yell out in pain. Byers said, "She wasn't kidding when she said she was going to comb his hair."

Melanie laughed. Josephine was pulling her comb through a major tangle. She said, "It only hurts because you let your hair run free like Kentucky blue grass."

Byers saw Frohike and Audrey watch in fascination.

They thought it was funny that Langly was getting his hair combed. Josephine was merciless when it came to Langly's hair.

She finally finished, saying, "There, that looks so much better. Not like Keith Richards mess that he dares to call hair."

Langly glared at her. "That hurt."

"You should see what I do just to keep my hair nice.

It is a lot of work, but so worth it. You keep the hair, you do the work."

Langly rolled his eyes. "I want to see how much better this is." He looked into a mirror. "What did you do to my hair? It looks the best it has in ages."

"All I had to do was comb out your bird's nest. You know, it makes you look so much better. Not like Fabio, but hey, he's a big old annoying butter commercial dude."

Frohike laughed. "You do look a lot better, Langly.

You'd really make a lot of people think you really are a girl."

"Shut up, Dohike. At least I can do something about my hair." Langly shot behind.

"You're merciless with that child," Scully said.

"She started it by asking why so much," Mulder said.

"Let's get the living cleaned up, and we'll make sure that when Doggett gets up he'll be comfortable." He was feeding his little girl breakfast by handing her little bits of bacon at a time. She took them eagerly.

Scully sighed. "Mulder, you do that. I'm going to keep these kids under control."

"Why can't I help Daddy?" Kathy asked.

"All right, you go and help Daddy," Scully said, sighing. "You have a Daddy's Girl there, Mulder."

"I know I do," Mulder said, smiling.

After breakfast was finished, Mulder and Kathy went into the living room. Mulder started to clean up the room, finding toys all over the place. He sighed.

"Kathy, sweetie, you should put your toys away when you're done with them."

Kathy smiled at him, melting him. "Why Daddy?"

"Because Daddy doesn't like to pick them up or trip on them," Mulder said.

"Oh," she said, softly. "Why is Uncle John staying here and not at home?"

"Uncle John is staying here because he doesn't feel well and we want to make sure that he feels alright."

"Why?"

"Because Aunt Samantha is gone again."

"But why?" Kathy demanded her father.

"Kathy, I can't give you all of your answers. Please, don't make Daddy upset. He's got enough things to deal with right now," Mulder said, sternness in his voice.

"Are you alright, Daddy?" Kathy was just as curious as he was as a child he realized.

"Daddy just misses Aunt Samantha." Mulder told her little girl.

"Does she have to go up to that place?" Kathy asked.

Mulder had finished cleaning and she was sitting on his lap again.

"I wish she didn't, but she does. It's something you really will understand when you are older." Mulder told the young child.

"It upsets you, that's all I know, Daddy. You don't like when Aunt Samantha is gone," Kathy said, leaning into his chest.

Mulder put a hand on her flame red hair, kissing the top of her head. "No, Daddy does not like when Aunt Samantha is gone. In fact he hates it when Aunt Samantha is gone. It makes Daddy's heart ache."

"But how does it make Daddy's heart ache."

"Well, let's see. It's like when Daddy is gone and you miss him terribly and you wonder why Daddy can't be with you. It' a lot like that for Daddy when Aunt Samantha is gone."

"Oh. That's bad. I don't like to have that feeling, Daddy. It must be awful to feel like that when Aunt Samantha is gone and you don't know when she'll be back."

"Yes, yes it is baby girl. It certainly is. It makes Uncle John even more upset, and he needs to sleep right now. He just misses Aunt Samantha so much that he can't stay at home. He needs someone to keep an eye on him and read him bed time stories like you get when Daddy is gone."

"But Uncle John doesn't need bedtime stories," Kathy said, smiling.

"No, I suppose not," Mulder said.

Doggett had been watching the scene unable to sleep.

He said, "Not unless you have a good bedtime story, then I might need one, Miss Mulduh."

Krycek held his little girl's hand as they stepped out of the car. Jane followed them into the ice cream parlor. Krycek asked his little girl what she would like to have. She replied emphatically, "I'd like a sundae, Daddy."

Krycek smiled. He paid the man the amount, after ordering. He asked, "Jane, you want anything?"

"No, no. I'd rather not have ice cream for breakfast.

You're horrible to let her have ice cream."

Krycek gave her a devilish smile. "Am I really?"

Jane smiled back at him. "You shouldn't smile at me like that when we're in public, Alex."

"Why is that, Jane?" Krycek smiled again at her.

"You know why. Let's get her bad breakfast in her, and we'll go puppy shopping."

Alexa sat down at a booth with her ice cream. She asked, "Is Uncle John mad at me, Daddy?"

"No, no he's not. He just misses Aunt Samantha."

Krycek said.

"But he was really upset when you told him what Aunt Samantha told me to tell him. Is he mad because of that?" Alexa asked, taking a bite of her ice cream.

Krycek looked at Jane. His eyes asked how he should answer this question. Jane nodded knowing that he needed help. "Well, honey, it's like this. Uncle John was already upset when you came back. When he heard that news, it made him even more upset. It's not your fault, honey. Don't you blame yourself for it."

"Daddy, what kind of puppy should I get?" Alexa asked.

"The cutest one you can find that looks like it will play with you the most, baby girl." Krycek said, smiling. "You better eat all of that ice cream so we can go and look at your puppies to see which one is the cutest."

Alexa nodded. She said, "Daddy, you wouldn't mind a puppy, would you?"

"I think a puppy is a grand thing for a cute little girl like you. You can have the cutest puppy ever if you so wish." Krycek said.

"I can, Daddy?"

"Yes." Krycek said.

"Yay Daddy!" She smiled at him. Krycek felt his heart melt when she smiled like that. It was her way of trapping him into giving her what ever she wanted.

Jane laughed. "She's got you right where she wants you, Alex."

"I know. Isn't that sad."

"No, it's cute."

"Only cute?" Krycek asked, his eye brows raising.

"Not in front of the child," Jane said.

"I see." Krycek said.

Josephine giggled. "You're not that bad, Frohike. Not my cup of tea, but you're not that bad. I've seen worse."

"You're not helping," Frohike said.

"Sorry." Josephine apologized.

Langly ran a hand over his freshly combed hair. "It's a lot softer now."

"That is what happens when you comb your hair, Langly.

I should probably give my hair it's 200 strokes."

"200?" Langly asked.

"100 under, 100 over," Josephine said.

"That is a lot of work."

"Okay, so I get lazy from time to time, but we can't all be perfect," Josephine said.

"That's a lot of strokes to give your hair," Langly said still running a hand over his hair.

"But it makes it so much healthier." Josephine replied. "Why don't we do something, I'm bored with all of this hair talk."

Langly smiled. "What would you like to do?"

"Hmm, how about watch a movie?" Josephine said.

"Watch it in your room, Langly. Audrey and I have computer work to do," Frohike said.

"Alright," Langly said. "Not a problem."

Byers said, "Andy is asleep in the children's room. I want everyone to be some what quiet, alright?"

Frohike nodded. "Yeah. The boy has had it so rough in the past few weeks. You can't do anything but feel sorry for him."

Audrey said, munching on some Doritos, "I think it's so sad that his mother is gone like this. It's so difficult for that family. I'd hate to deal with that all the time."

Byers nodded. "Melanie and I will be in my room trying to get something done. If you need us, we'll be there.

I want this issue to come out well done."

Josephine said, "I'll get on the political stuff soon if you want."

"That'd be great, Josephine," Byers said.

Langly and Josephine went down the hall to his room.

They stepped inside. She said, "Isn't it nice having your room clean?"

"I can walk around, that's all I notice," Langly said.

"You're such a naysayer. It's a lot better than when I arrived. You shouldn't abuse rock t-shirts like that."

Josephine said.

"So, what movie?"

"The Patriot."

"Alright. I'm glad I bought that one then," Langly said, picking it up from his collection that she had neatly arranged. He stuck it in the VCR.

She sat down on the bed. "You can't get enough of Mel Gibson. Don't tell Frohike this, but Mel hates when people think his name is Melvin. It's not. It's Melbourne, just like the city in Australia."

"Really? That would just kill him." Langly laughed.

"Yeah. It's a fact. I thought it was funny though.

He's so cute in this movie though."

Langly rolled his eyes. "Uh-huh. Let's just watch the movie, alright?"

"Okay, I'll keep my drooling over Mel down. It's not like it's Clark Gable in Gone With The Wind." She smiled at him.

He pushed play on the movie. It was starting, and she lay down on her stomach, facing the movie. He laid down next to her, preparing to watch the movie.

Mulder gave him a smile. "How are you feeling, Doggett?"

"Better. Still feel like hell, but better than I was before. Now, Miss Mulduh, do you have a good bed time story for your uncle John?" Doggett said, sitting down next to Mulder and Kathy.

"Daddy, how about Green Eggs and Ham? That's my favorite story," Kathy said.

"I don't know, Kathy. You'll have to ask your uncle," Mulder said.

"Uncle John, is that okay with you?" Kathy asked.

"Yeah. It's a good story. Why don't you go and get it.

Your daddy and I will stay right here and wait for you," Doggett said to the little girl.

Kathy got up off of her father's lap. She said, "I'll be right back."

"Of course you will, sweetie," Mulder said.

After Kathy had disappeared up the stairs, Mulder asked, "So, couldn't sleep?"

"I woke up, and just couldn't get back to sleep. I thought I'd come down stairs," Doggett said.

"She'll come home. We just have to believe that," Mulder said softly.

Doggett sighed. "Yeah. I just wish it was now. I just wish I knew when. I just wish for a helluva lot of stuff that won't happen anytime soon."

Mulder put his hand on Doggett's shoulder. "You know that she'll come home happy to see you. God dammit, why does this have to happen over and over again. I'm sick and tired of this circus."

Doggett nodded. "Yeah. I am too. I just don't understand why this has to happen repeatedly either. I just know that I have to find hope."

Kathy came back down. She crawled back into Mulder's lap. "Daddy, you read it to us."

Doggett smiled at the small child. She didn't know how much missing someone could hurt, but she tried to cheer him up so much. He said, "Now Miss Mulduh, you ought to say please when you ask."

Kathy turned to look at Doggett. "Why?"

"Well, because it's nice to say please when you want someone to do something nice for you. You be nice and someone will be nice to you."

"Oh. Please Daddy?" Kathy asked.

"Alright," Mulder said, opening the book. "Is everyone ready to hear the story?"

"Yes," Kathy said.

Doggett nodded his response. Scully stood in the door watching the two men under the control of the little girl. She shook her head, amazed by how easily Kathy had the two of them under her thumb.

Mulder started the story, "Green Eggs and Ham by Doctor Sueus," Scully said, "Teresa and Jack, your father is reading Green Eggs and Ham out there."

They got up, to join Kathy, Mulder, and Doggett in the story reading. Scully thought it was adorable that they both were so easily trapped by these children.

She thought it might just the thing to take Doggett's mind off of Samantha.

Samantha found herself back on Earth. She felt bruised and a little broken, but knew that it wouldn't be a problem once she saw Doggett's face. She knew that was all she needed to feel better.

She made her way home, tired though she was. She entered the house, finding the note that Krycek had left her to tell her where Doggett was. It read: Samantha, Doggett is at Mulders. He was really upset, so we took him somewhere we could keep an eye on him. Just call over there, and I'm sure he'll rush home to see you.

AK

Samantha smiled. Apparently Alexa had gotten to where she was supposed to. She shut the door, her body throbbing from the pain she was feeling.

She made her way to the kitchen, to pick up the phone to call Mulders. She wanted to see Doggett, but didn't think she could walk over there to see him.

She called over there. Scully answered. She said, "Mulder Residence."

"Is John there?" Samantha asked.

"Samantha? Is that you?" Scully asked.

"Yes. Tell John to come home right away. I want to see him so badly," Samantha said.

Scully said, "Right away. I will." She hung up.

Samantha hoped that he would be okay when she saw him.

She sat down on to the couch, tired, yet excited to see him. She was impatient about seeing him.

The door opened, and she was immediately on her feet.

She heard him whisper, "Good God, Sam. What did they do to you?"

She ran to him, hugging him. She looked into his face.

He bent down, kissing her. She felt him hold her to himself, as if he would never let her go. "I missed you so much, John," Doggett said, "You got to quit leaving me like that.

God, I was so worried, Sam." He kissed her again before she could answer. He was so glad to see her, so glad to have her with him now. He ran his hands through her hair. He pulled away, seeing the piercings in her forehead from where the needles had been. He kissed them, trying to make them heal.

She whispered, "It's nothing. I don't feel them now."

"God damn Alien Bastards think they can do what ever they want to a beautiful lady," Doggett said, kissing her again. He had missed her so much, now all he wanted to do was show his love for her.

She had her arms around his neck, her hands running through his hair. She kissed him back, just as hungrily. "I hate them for doing this to me, this to you," he whispered, "I love you. I missed you so terribly while you were up there, fearing the worst. God, what did they do to you, Sam?"

"It doesn't matter now, John. All that matters is that I'm with you," Samantha said.

Doggett smiled, his forehead on hers. He said, "Yeah.

That is what matters." He kissed her again, lifting her easily in his arms. He moved slowly up the stairs to the bedroom, never stopping kissing her.

When they got upstairs to the bed room, Doggett laid Samantha down on the bed. He ran his hands slowly down her body, feeling the scars that were there. He kissed her neck, causing her to moan out in pleasure.

She felt him position himself on top of her, kissing him, trying to taste all of him that she could. She ran her hands over his strong back, over his arms. She felt alive and invigorated by his loving attention.

He kissed her again, moving down to the other side of her neck. He caused her to moan out again with this slight tease.

She whimpered, "John, take that shirt off."

He smiled at her, doing as she asked. He lifted the shirt over his head, having wore a black pull over that day. He tossed it to the floor. "That better?"

"Much." She ran her hands over his bare chest, feeling it's strength. She gasped at how fast his heart rate was going.

He kissed her again. Moving his hands down over her still fully clothed body, she suddenly wanted him to do more. He broke the kiss off, whispering in that voice that made her go wild, "Not fair that you get all the fun. Your shirt has to come off too."

She smiled. "Yes, yes it does. I just had it put back on just recently though."

"Well, it just will have to come off." He sat her up, pulling her sweater off of her, over her head.

Underneath was her bra. He noticed the deep scar on her stomach. "Jesus, Sam. They really were brutal this time." He kissed her neck, moving down to her navel.

He kissed it, and she winced half in pain, half in pleasure.

She whispered, "Take the bra too."

He did as asked, removing the pesky lace fabric. She felt him pay close attention to each breast, teasing her so slowly. She moaned out as he kissed each breast.

He smiled, still kissing her breast. He knew he was driving her mad. He rather enjoyed doing so. He ran a hand over her stomach, and it felt like feathers. He found her pants button, unbuttoning it in one swift motion.

She moaned out her pleasure, begging, "Take them off for me." He did as she asked, sliding her jeans and panties down in one motion.

She said, "Your turn."

Doggett smiled at her. He slid his pants and boxers down. "This good for you?"

She smiled back, "More than good."

He noticed her chaffed ankles and wrists. He kissed them, trying to take their pain away. She groaned as his tongue flicked over them. She said one intelligible word. "Please."

He moved up to kiss her again, moving down to her neck, his hands running over her body, until he got to her thighs. He parted her, asking, "This what you want?"

"Yes," she whispered it so softly. He took her answer, lowering himself on top of her. He sunk down into her slowly, feeling her surround him. She gasped as he slid into her, running her hands down his back.

He started to move, first slowly. She moaned as he moved. She moved under neath him, trying to get him to move faster.

He felt himself lose control, and he started to move faster, feeling her meet him with each stroke he gave.

She was driving him mad now, and all he could do was groan.

She took him over the edge when she found her own orgasm. She shook around him, and he found his release.

Once they had finished, he whispered, "Welcome home, Sam."



From: Allison Broesder Date: Tue, 31 July 2001 00:16:00 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Shattered Halcyon (7/?) by Cinnamon Scully Happiness For Awhile

Title: Shattered Halcyon (Part Seven: Happiness For Awhile)

Author: Cinnamon Scully

Rated: R

Categories: MSR,Doggett/other, Conspiracy Angst Disclaimer: NOT MINE

Summary: See ENTER Mulder

Archive: yes

Feedback: yes

Langly noticed that she had rolled into him, asleep.

He smiled. He thought it was cute that she was so tired and had rolled over into him. He debated with himself if he should put his arm around her.

She was curled up, her back to him. He took the plunge, putting his arm around her. He didn't think that anything bad could come out of the deal. He finished watching the movie while she slept. She had been tired.

He knew that he was holding her up and that if he were to move she'd wake up. He didn't want to wake her, so he stayed where he was, watching television.

She rolled over in her sleep, facing him. She sighed in her sleep, snuggling up to him. He smiled, he wondered if she knew what she was doing.

He watched nothing in particular on the television. He didn't really care what was on television. It didn't really interest him what was on. He hoped that Frohike would have enough sense to stay out there rather than barge in here.

He heard a bit of an argument going on between Audrey and Frohike. They were arguing about who should write and who should edit. He sighed. At least he wasn't involved with the fight.

He heard Byers shush the two them, reminding them that Andy was asleep down the hall. They promptly grew quiet again. Langly knew that they argued like that just because.

Josephine woke up next to him. "Who was arguing?"

"Frohike and Audrey," Langly said.

Josephine said, "I must have fallen asleep. Oh well.

It's not a big deal I guess. I've seen the movie before." She made no motion to move.

He decided to stay where he was. "As long as they don't come in here, I'm fine with that idea."

Josephine nodded. "They fight like that much?"

"It's only something they do when they are really bored. They must be bored." Langly replied.

"They can't find something better to do with their time?" Josephine asked.

"Guess not." Langly smiled.

"That's a shame." She rolled over, sighing. "I'm too comfy to move."

"That's why they should stay out there," Langly said with a smile.

"Yeah." She yawned. "I don't know what it is, but I'm so terribly tired."

"Maybe it's just been all the things we've done in the past few days. It has been hectic." He yawned himself.

"That it has." She leaned more into him. "I'm going to go back to sleep. I hope those two keep it down."

Langly laughed. "Sounds like a plan."

They went to a pet shop from the ice cream parlor.

Krycek said, "Take a look around, baby girl. Pick the cutest puppy you can find."

Alexa walked around the store, looking at all of the puppies. She came to a cage with small puppies that all wagged their small tails at her. They had big black eyes and big ears. She said, "Daddy, come look at these puppies!"

Krycek walked towards the cage to see the puppies his daughter was looking at. He said, "Those puppies are awfully small."

"But they are the cutest puppies. I want one of these." Alexa pouted. She knew she could muscle her father into getting the puppy for her.

He said, "Which one?"

"The brown and white one, Daddy."

Krycek saw the puppy she was looking at. "She looks just like cinnamon, baby girl."

"That's what I'd call her when we get her, Daddy.

Cinnamon," Alexa said.

He turned to look at Jane. "Well, what do you think?"

"She seems to like the puppy. Why don't you get it for her," Jane said.

"Alright. I'll get the puppy for her. I did tell her she could get the puppy of her choice." Krycek sighed.

He went to the counter. "Can you tell me the breed of those puppies?"

"Papillion, sir." The clerk replied.

"Papillion? That's a interesting name." Krycek said.

"It's butterfly in French. The ears gave them that name." The clerk said.

Krycek nodded. "Can you get the little brown and white one out for me?"

"Sure. Just write a check out for $400 here, and I'll get the puppy out for you." The clerk said.

"Alright. He took his check book out, signing the check. He went back to see the clerk pick up the wriggly puppy.

Alexa squealed in delight as the clerk handed the puppy to her to see. She said, "Daddy, can I?"

"She's yours, baby girl. She's all yours." Krycek said.

"She's a she, right?"

"Yes. She is a she." The clerk said to the little girl.

"You guess well, Daddy," Alexa said.

Krycek smiled. "Let's take your puppy home. How about that?"

"Okay, Daddy," Alexa said. She walked with her father back to the car.

Jane smiled at them. "You spoil that child so much."

"She deserves it, Jane. She came back from a horrible place. I say she deserves it." Krycek said.

"I agree. I was just saying you are spoiling that little girl."

"Nothing wrong with that." Krycek smiled back at her.

The puppy licked Alexa's face making her giggle. She said, "Don't lick so much, puppy."

Jane laughed. "She sure is happy to see you. Why don't you tell the puppy her name?"

"Okay. Hello Cinnammum," Alexa said.

"No honey, it's Cinnamon," Jane said.

"Cinn-a-mon," she said it really slowly. "Did I say it right?"

"Yes, honey." Jane told her daughter.

Skinner said to Janis, "You head on home and get Timothy. I'm going to talk that man into letting Doggett have some leave."

Janis nodded. She said, "Good luck."

Skinner smiled, giving her a quick kiss. "Don't worry, I'll get him where I want him."

Skinner took off to the F.B.I. building. When he arrived, he charged up to Kersh's office. He wanted to get this done as soon as he possibly could.

When he arrived, he said, "Director, can I speak with you?"

"Kersh looked up from his desk. "What can I do for you, Assistant Director?"

"Well, Doggett needs some leave. He's had a rough past few weeks with the abduction of his son and his wife's miscarriage. I was wondering if you could give him a bit off."

"Those things are resolved, I believe." Kersh said, shuffling some papers.

"He's still having a difficult time dealing with the death of a child, and he needs some personal leave," Skinner said, still trying to win him over.

"If he can work in the field, that is where he should be."

"Listen, Director, you don't know how John Doggett feels. He's got enough problems without you telling him he can't grieve for his child. Don't make me expose you."

Kersh looked up to Skinner. Skinner was towering over him now. "What would that be?"

"That you covered up a lead on Agent Mulder while he was still missing, that you authorized the removal of very important X-Files, that you lied to cover up the fact that you knew that the Cancer Man pays you to work in this office. There's plenty of things I can expose you on, now isn't there?" Skinner said, a smile playing across his lips.

"You can't prove any of that. Even if you could, it would ruin your career." Kersh said.

"But it would be worth it to see you go down. You've plagued the X-File Division with so many things since you arrived. And don't give me that mumbo jumbo about how Mulder doesn't listen to protocol. You know very well how capable he is of investigating with out you hanging over his shoulder nay saying him," Skinner said, still using his height and strength to intimidate the man.

"Alright, I'll give him some personal leave. You just make sure that he'll be ready to work on a case in a week or so." Kersh said. He knew that Skinner more fit and bigger than him. It frightened him a bit to think how far Skinner might go to protect the X-Files agents.

Skinner said, "Thanks. I'm sure Agent Doggett will appreciate it.

Frohike and Audrey were in the computer area. Frohike stopped what he was doing, asking, "What do you think of Josephine, Audrey?"

"I think she's nice. She's got a good head on her shoulders, just doesn't have the good taste in men."

Audrey said.

"Aw, you know that Langly isn't that bad. I think it's nice that he's got Josephine. He was so down before," Frohike said.

"She's got a good ability to observe things. How did she know that Peter guy was there before anyone else could get up?" Audrey asked.

"That I can't tell you. I know she is not an AHH. She would have been recognized by Mulder if that was the truth. I think she's got some ability that comes naturally. All I know is she probably saved our asses that night. He might have decided to kill us, so he could take her."

"Mel, you're so paranoid." Audrey smiled at him.

"Not when they are really after you. I don't know about you, but I think that Peter isn't all he seems to be. I don't think he kept his Midwestern traits like Josephine has. I think he's in some dark conspiracy, he's doing something," Frohike said. "I don't know. He just didn't seem like he was up to much good, that he wasn't just there to try and patch things up with Josephine."

"Yeah. She saw through him, didn't she?"

"Yeah. Yeah she did. You were still in the hospital, but all I know is that she said that we had big hearts. I wonder what she meant by that," Frohike said.

"She just saw you guys for what you are. Good guys. I don't know what this Peter guy looked like, but from the way he acted he can't be as cute as you are, Mel."

Audrey said.

Frohike smiled. "Yeah. I'm just surprised that she muscled Langly in to letting her comb his hair. He's never done that before."

"Oh well. Guess he just likes her that much," Audrey said. She got up, and gave Frohike a kiss. "She doesn't know anything about computers?"

"Only how to email and type is what she said," Frohike said.

"Good, I wouldn't want someone better to come in here and do my job better," Audrey said.

Frohike said, "Think she'd want to go through our files? Alphabetize them better than Jimmy ever did."

"You'd have to ask her. I'd assume Langly and her want to be left alone though," Audrey said.

A small voice asked, "Uncle Frohike, can I have a drink of water?"

Frohike looked over to Andy. "Certainly. Just follow me." Frohike led Andy out to the kitchen. He took a glass out, filling it with ice and then water. He handed it to the child. "Here you go, kiddo."

"Is my daddy going to be okay?" Andy asked.

"Andy... I think your daddy will be okay soon. Your daddy just misses your mother," Frohike said.

"Is Mother going to come home soon?" Andy asked.

"I wish I knew, Andy. We all wish we knew that. I'm sure she'll get back home to you as soon as she can," Frohike said, trying to reassure the child.

"Can I sit with you and Aunt Audrey?" Andy asked.

"Of course you can. Just be careful, okay?" Frohike spoke softly to Andy. He knew the child was hurting while his mother was gone.

Audrey noticed that Andy looked just like his father, except that he had his mother's nose. She said, "Why don't you sit between us, Andy?"

Andy took the seat in between them, drinking his water. He said, "I hope Mother comes home soon."

After Doggett had left in a hurry, Mulder finished the story for his children. Scully took Doggett's spot, taking Teresa onto her lap. Jack sat down on the sofa next to his mother.

When the story had finished, Mulder said, "Why don't you go play while your mother and I discuss something."

The children nodded. "Okay, Daddy," Kathy said excitedly.

After the children had gone up the stairs, Mulder said, "So, now that Samantha's home, do you think that things will finally calm down?"

"Mulder, I so terribly hope so. I don't think I can take much more of these things happening. It breaks my heart to see John and Samantha have to go through all they have to all the time. It just rips me apart to know that they suffer so."

"I know, Scully. It tears me up too. I miss Samantha when she's gone like that too. The only reason I hold up so well on the outside is because it's a wound that I'm familiar with. It only aches when she's gone, like the flesh is being retorn on it."

"I know. I'm glad that they were merciful enough to return her so much sooner. I know that if she would have been gone much longer, Doggett wouldn't have made it. He really loves your sister so much," Scully said softly.

"I know. I know he does," Mulder replied. "I hope you know that I love you that much too."

"I know you do." She kissed him, falling into his embrace. "Do you know that I love you that much too?"

"Of course I do, Scully. It took us 7 years to admit it, but yeah, I do love you that much," Mulder said, kissing her back. "I'm just praying that things will finally settle. I don't think I could take another bad situation."

"Me either. I know I couldn't handle another major crisis. We all need a bit of a break from the whole mess. It's been such a rough past few weeks," Scully said, her head on his chest.

"Well all I know, Scully, is that now that we are all back, Skin Man should finally marry Janis. He should have married her a long time ago."

"Yeah, what is with that?" Scully asked.

"I think he was nervous about something. I don't know.

He just hasn't gotten around to it," Mulder said smiling.

"They have Timothy. They should just get married and be done with it," Scully said.

"I know. I just hope they can manage to do so before the next crisis hits. They'll never manage to get married if they don't," Mulder said, laughing. "So, what did you have to talk to me about with Jack liking Uncle Frohike?"

"Mulder, the child is going to get corrupted by that man," Scully said, smiling.

"He is not," Mulder said. He knew that she didn't really mind the boy liking Frohike.

"Mulder, we're talking Frohike," Scully said.

"Yeah, so."

"Frohike, the man who swears, looks at naughty magazines and chases after governmental conspiracies," Scully said.

"You just described me, Scully. He loves me too. Does that mean he'll be corrupted by me?" Mulder said, smiling.

"Mulder, you're a given corrupter." She hit him with a pillow.

Mulder picked up a pillow of his own, striking back at her.

Skinner left the office to go home. He wanted to see Janis and Timothy. When he arrived, Skinner said, "Janis, I got it! I had to do a little arm twisting, but I got it."

Janis came out giving Skinner a kiss. "I'm sure you were excellent at intimidating the man." She smiled at him.

"How did you know that?" Skinner asked.

"Just do. You like to use your intimidation from time to time to get what you want. It's just your way."

Janis said, giving him another kiss.

"Oh, and you know this how?" Skinner said, smiling at her.

"I know a lot of things, Walter. Don't try to think I don't," Janis said, walking away from him to see what Timothy was doing. She said, "Are we going to set a date?"

"Let's try for Saturday. I think that would be the best plan. Before the next chaotic thing happens. You know it will," Skinner said.

Janis replied from Timothy's room. "Yeah, I know.

That's the problem. Why did we ever wait, Walter?"

He followed her into the room. "I don't know Janis. I don't know why we didn't do this so much sooner. I just don't understand it."

Janis tucked Timothy in. He was tired from having to go to bed so late the night before and being unable to sleep, and then having to go home so early. Janis gave the boy a kiss on the forehead, exiting her child's room.

"We waited because we were both a little nervous about what a marriage between us would be like. It was silly for us. It really was," Janis said, walking towards Skinner.

"I just we hadn't been so ridiculously nervous as to wait like this. Mulder and Scully waited longer to admit their feelings, we shouldn't have taken their example," Skinner said.

She smiled, "We both love each other and we know it.

Walter, I think you feel guilty for waiting. Don't worry, the past five years have been the best of my life. What you've brought to my life is worth the wait."

Skinner crossed his arms. "I still don't like this waiting game we played for far too long."

"We're getting married on Saturday. The past will be just that, the past. I'd say we let it go. I don't want us to be too nervous to pull this one off any ways," Janis said, stepping close to him.

He sighed. "I know." He removed his tie, putting it in the hamper. He said, "Let's just go and sit down. I've been going non stop all morning and I just want to sit down."

"I agree with that." She followed him to the sofa.

They sat down, and she put her head on his shoulder.

"You know something, even though we waited so long, it was worth that wait," Skinner said.

Janis sighed. "Walter, stop. She snuggled up to him.

"What?" He teased.

"Your incessant chatter," she said.

"Sorry." He put his arms around her, holding her close to him. "I'll stop."

After they had gotten dressed, Doggett smiled at Samantha. He said, "Do you want to get Andy now or later?"

"Later. I'm just happy being here," Samantha said, sighing.

Doggett brushed his hand over her forehead. "What did They do to you?"

"Injected me with Black Oil through the Crown of Pain.

I had heard about others getting that, yet had never suffered it before. They fasten it to your head, with millions of tiny needles drilling into your scalp.

After that is done They let Black Oil fall onto the Crown seeping into all of the wounds you have. It hurts a lot."

Doggett cursed. He said, "How could they do that to you?"

"It was better than what they wanted to do to me. They wanted to send me home pregnant. That could have meant two things could have happened to me. Either They would have done it with invirto, or one of those robotic clones would have done it," Samantha said, her voice growing quiet.

"How dare they even think to do something like that to you," Doggett said, kissing her forehead.

"They don't think, they just do. That means causing as much pain as possible. It's awful I know, but I'm surprised they didn't," Samantha said.

"So, the belly, what is with that?" Doggett asked, his voice gruff.

"That? They sliced my stomach open. After that They dumped pure Black Oil into the fresh wound. It made me scream," Samantha whispered.

Doggett looked down in guilt for a moment. "I promised you that you would never go through that ever again. I failed you."

Samantha took his hand into hers. "John, you didn't fail me. I went on my own free will."

"To save Scully, to save Jeremiah," Doggett whispered.

"Yes," she said looking down at their hands. She felt a tear escape her eyes. "I did it to save the Resistance, to save my family, to, to, just hold me."

Doggett took her tired pained form into his arms. He rocked her, "It's over for now. They can't hurt you now. I'm here. It's going' to be alright."

She started to sob, all the emotions flooding out.

"They made me react this time. I screamed, I screamed and cried. I never let them have that satisfaction. I actually screamed."

"Sh, you're only human, Sam. You can't always be strong. Sometimes you have to just let it out.

Sometimes you have to let someone else be strong for you."

Samantha burrowed her head into his chest. She let her tears flow freely. She wished that all of her pain would go away. "Oh John, I was so scared while I was up there. I haven't been scared up there like that since I was a little girl."

"It's alright, Sam. I'm here now. I'm here and I'll let you be okay. When we go to pick up Andy, let's ask Josephine and Langly for those photos of Marshall. I'm curious to see what this town looks like."

Samantha gave him a weak smile. "Yeah."

Langly woke up first. He sighed. She was still asleep, and was still snuggled up to him. He wondered what time it was. He noticed that it was about noon. It had been an eventful morning. He yawned again.

She opened her eyes. "It's warm. What time is it?"

"Noon." He smiled at her.

"I don't want to get up. I'm too comfy. If I don't, I just might find myself not getting anything done, though." She sighed. "What to do."

He laughed. "You are a workaholic aren't you?"

"Yep. Alright, work calls. I promised Byers I'd get that political story done. Just let me see your files on some of the scandals so I can remember what I'm looking for and jump start my mind." She got up, stretching.

"Look out, if it starts with The, it's going to be filled under T," Langly said with a smile.

"What ever for?"

"You'll have to ask Jimmy. He did the filing a long time ago and we just were too lazy to fix it," Langly said, getting up himself.

She laughed. "The under T? That's silly. Did he do the same with A and An?"

"I don't know. I just know it's rather irritating when you look for any file that has The in the

."

"I'm sure it is." She gave him a kiss. "I'm going to get that filing done, and I'll get that story done.

You want to help me with the Internet search later? I don't want to mess your computer up. When I get my stuff, I'll bring my own."

"Sure." He smiled at her, following her out to where Audrey and Frohike were with Andy.

Josephine sighed. "I'm going to tackle that thing you call a filing system. Don't let Jimmy ever touch it again, please."

Frohike smiled. "Finally, someone who will fix that mess that moron made."

Audrey laughed. "I thought about it a couple of times, but I just couldn't manage to do it."

"Well, that's why you get a workaholic and they'll do the work for you." Josephine smiled. "Just point me to those files."

She made her way to the filing cabinets after Langly led her to them. She sighed. "Do you guys know anything about organization?"

"No."

"Didn't think so. Put some music on, will you. I'll be able to survive this mess with it," Josephine said.

She opened the T file first. She sighed. "You weren't kidding when you said that Jimmy filed everything with The under T. The Poisoner, The Warren Commission, The Grassy Knoll, The Water Gate Scandal, The White Water Scandal. What is he, just a lost individual?"

"Precisely," Langly said.

She groaned. "This is going to take forever."

"You said you'd do this, not me."

Cancer Man coughed. He said, "That plan did not work.

It was full of holes. Who thought that the child would return so soon? How did it happen?"

"Samantha Mulder." Marita hissed. "She managed to send the child back to Earth. She was abducted to save what ever it was that saved Scully's life."

"Jeremiah Smith saved Scully's life. He's long gone by now. I must have another plan or I will die. I must get AHH blood," Cancer Man said, puffing his cigarette.

"We will. We never have tried one of the Mulder children. They are AHH except for the boy." Marita said softly.

"Yes. Yes, but of course, Mulder's children are AHH.

I'll get a child and we'll do the transfusion of her blood with mine. It will save my life." Cancer Man smiled his triumphant smile. "This one will work."

"It'll hurt Mulder a lot. Samantha's disappearance is hard on him already. With his daughter missing, it will make him mad." Marita said.

"You will send Peter to abduct the child. He will, or I will expose him for what he is," Cancer Man said.

"He's not half of what Krycek is, but he'll have to do. He makes Jeffrey look competent."

"I know he is no Alex. I'll make him do so. Do you realize that the woman that helped Jeremiah get here knows Peter?" Marita said.

"That means nothing. Until she threatens the Project she means nothing to me. You just make Peter do this errand. I want him to get that child for me soon.

Maybe in the next few days or next week. I think they should have a break so they won't expect it," Cancer Man said, taking another drag.

"Fine. Just as long as I can benefit from this some how." Marita said. "I refuse to do something without getting paid."

"You will, you will. Don't worry about it. You will be paid very well. I'll find a way to do something for you for this in return," Cancer Man said, lighting his face up with a lighter to light a fresh cigarette.

"Oh? What would that be?" Marita asked.

"Trap Alex Krycek for your services to do with what ever you please. I'm sure it will be sufficient enough for what your task," Cancer Man said, flicking a couple of ashes.

"Perfect payment." Marita said with a smile. "Perfect indeed."

Doggett helped her up. He said, "Let's get goin'. I'm sure Andy would like to know his mother is home safe and sound."

Samantha smiled. "Yeah. I want to see my little boy too." She let him help her to the car. She was bruised and battered, but some of the scars were starting to disappear.

She let him help her into the car, and he got into the drivers seat. He said, "Let's surprise him. Do you feel up to cloakin'?"

"Yeah. I see your plan, John. It is certainly delightful," Samantha said, smiling.

Doggett gave her a big smile. "Yep. It'll be fun to make the Gunmen nervous any ways."

When they arrived, Doggett heard a lot of frustrated shouting inside. Frohike answered the door. "What are you doing here, Doggett?"

"I'm here to pick Andy up," Doggett said, smiling.

"But you said you didn't want him to be around when Samantha was gone," Frohike said.

"Yeah well, let me already, will ya?" Doggett entered after Frohike moved. He asked, "What is goin' on?"

"Josephine is trying to fix Jimmy's mess from when he did the filing for us."

Doggett smiled. "I'm sure it is bad."

He heard Josephine yell, "He put Iran-Contra under a title of I ran as in the action! What is wrong with him? Hasn't he ever heard of the country Iran?"

Doggett smiled. He said, "Andy, come here."

Andy approached. He said, "Mother!"

Samantha decloaked. "I can't hide from you, can I? You've learned very well."

Andy ran up to hug his mother. He said, "I missed you so much."

"I missed you too, Andy. I missed you an awful lot."

She picked her child up.

The Gunmen gawked at Samantha. "How, how did you get back?"

"I went through a lot of torture, and since I had already had extensive testing in such a short time, they let me go early. It's not any fun but at least I'm home with my family."

Andy wrapped his arms around his mother's neck, laying his head onto her shoulder. "Mother, I want to go home."

"Let me pick something up just quickly, alright?"

Andy nodded. He closed his eyes, content to be with his mother. Samantha asked, "Are those photos ready yet?"

Josephine nodded, "Right over there, next to the entire stack of anything starting with T."

Samantha smiled. "I see you've found a mess to clean up."

"Yeah well, I'm about to clobber the moron who decided this was a good idea. I'm telling you, the moron is making this hard."

Samantha laughed. "Have fun."

The phone rang at Skinner's. He answered, "Skinner."

"She's back, Skin Man!" Mulder's voice came over the line excited.

"Thanks for telling us. Janis and I were talking about setting a date. We think that Saturday would work.

Your sister has perfect timing. We want to get this marriage done right away."

"Alright. I'll let everyone else know when things cool down for the day. I'm sure things are buzzing all over the place. If anything we should leave Dogg Man and Sam alone for now," Mulder said.

"Yeah. I agree with you there," Skinner said. "Again, thanks for telling us."

"Did you get Dogg Man that leave any ways?" Mulder asked.

"Yeah."

"I'm sure he'll enjoy a few days off," Mulder said.

"I'm sure he will," Skinner said.

Mulder said, "I'll let you go, Skin Man."

Skinner replied. "Thanks, Mulder. See you soon." He hung up. He turned to Janis. "She's back safe and sound."

"Good. That's good to hear. We planned to have our wedding just right then. I just know that if we would have waited for Samantha to come back before finding out, we might have had another five years behind us."

Skinner smiled. "Yeah." He kissed her. "You know, I can't wait until Saturday now."

She kissed him back. "Neither can I."

He ran his hands through her hair. "I know that I'm going to enjoy the wedding night."

"Walter! Don't be so naughty," Janis said laughing.

"Why not? It might be fun to be a bit naughty," Skinner said.

"Yeah, it would be, but we'll have to wait until Saturday, Walter. Saturday night. I don't know if I feel up to it right now," Janis said. "Besides, Timothy is asleep right there. We'd have to take him back to my mother's."

"I know, I know. I just wish it was Saturday night now," Skinner said, smiling at her.

"I know you do. Now, find something productive to do to get your mind off of it, okay?" Janis said, giving him one more kiss.

"Alright. I will."

Skinner stood anxiously at the altar waiting for Janis to join him and become his wife. Mulder was his chosen best man after a difficult decision between Mulder and Doggett.

Mulder said, "You're doing the right thing, Skin Man."

Skinner glared at him. "Mulder, watch it. You just might find yourself hurting if you're not careful."

Mulder could only smile at how nervous Skinner was. He said, "It'll be over before you know it. You'll be man and wife before you know it."

Skinner gave him a nervous smile. "Yeah."

Suddenly Mulder disappeared from his side, to escort the maid of honor, Jane. He felt himself tense up again.

He saw Jane on Mulder's arm walk up to the altar. They went to their designated sides, and he turned to wait apprehensively for Janis to appear in the dress she refused to let him see.

The wedding march began to play, and he gasped when he saw her walk down the aisle. She wore her hair down, a pale veil on her hair. Her dress was flowing behind her, and her bosom was surrounded by lace. She gave a radiant smile to him.

When she arrived, she whispered, "Don't be so nervous, Walter."

Skinner couldn't help but feel nervous about marrying her. He simply nodded, waiting for the priest to start the ceremony. He would not even remember it by it's finish. He would only remember her and how she looked.

Her hand was soft under his own, her smile was radiant as she said the vows. She had the most beautiful look in her green eyes. She looked ten years younger and all that more radiant. He tried to memorize every feature of her while he stood there.

Suddenly it came that time to kiss the bride. He bent down, lifting her veil, kissing her gently at first.

She put her arms around his neck, kissing him more fully.

A cheer was among the crowd, and he could hear Mulder whoop, "Skin Man, you finally did it!"

When he stopped kissing her, he turned to Mulder. "I told you once already that you were pushing it, Mulder."

Mulder smiled. "Yeah well, I'm going to get away with it any ways." He walked over to Scully, saying, "She'll protect me."

"Mulder, why are you getting me involved in this?"

Scully said, laughing.

"Cause I can. You know that," Mulder said.

Skinner rolled his eyes. "Let's just hope that the reception goes well. Mulder, that means you watching yourself."

"Oh come on, Skin Man. I get to terrorize the wedding couple. It's part of being a guest and the best man."

Scully punched his arm. "Shut up Mulder. Before both of us hurt you."

Mulder sighed dramatically. "Alright. I'll behave. I was just trying to have a little fun."

At the reception and dance, Mulder and Scully watched all the children play together. Scully said, "I'm glad Skinner and Janis finally got married. Look how happy Timothy looks that his parents got married."

Timothy had a big smile on his face. He had his mother's eyes and they shone like a cat's with delight. He was running around with Andy and Jack.

The girls were all playing. Alexa was telling a very interesting tale about her puppy to the other two girls. Scully shook her head. Cinnamon made the little girl's life so much happier.

Scully turned to look at Skinner and Janis. They were so happy looking and it seemed as if the world had disappeared to them. In many ways it had.

Skinner said to Janis. "Finally. We waited..."

"Sh. Let's get the dance started," Janis said, giving him a kiss. She took his hand into hers, leading him to the dance floor.

He smiled at her. A song started to play, and Skinner smiled more. It was a good classic song, one that had been played many a dance. Stair Way to Heaven. It was so beautiful. As they danced, a cheer came from the rest of the crowd.

Many of the couples took each other's hand as the song played. Doggett took Samantha's hand into his own, and interlocked his fingers with her own. Scully took Mulder's hand into hers, doing the same. Jane surprised Krycek, who had Alexa on his lap, finally under control, by taking his hand into hers. Audrey took Frohike's hand, whispering, "Mel, this is so cute."

Melanie took Byers hand into hers, making him blush.

Melanie smiled at him, whispering, "Don't be so shy, John."

The one most startled was Langly. Josephine took Langly's hand into hers. She smiled at his surprised face. "You keep looking like that and it might just stick, Ringo."

Langly didn't know what to think of her using his first name. He closed his mouth, letting her hold his hand. She shook her head.

After the song ended, the couples took the floor for the first dance after the bride and groom. Mulder and Scully weren't dancing far from the Gunmen and their girlfriends. Mulder whispered, "In all the years that we've known them, did you ever expect that?"

Scully smiled. "No, but it is sure nice to see them all have someone." She leaned up to kiss him.

Skinner and Janis watched from the wedding table, sitting this dance out. He took her hand into his. She said, "Look at this place. It's full of love. I don't think I've ever seen this many couples. Oh look, Jane and Krycek even let Alexa in on the fun." Skinner kissed her. "It is a place sure full of love. Let's just hope that it stays that way."

Just then a song started to play. Someone had requested Another One Bites the Dust. Skinner shouted, "Alright, who requested that!"

Krycek and Mulder put on devilish smiles about the song selection. Skinner rolled his eyes at both of them. Scully and Jane laughed. They knew all of the men that were here were trapped some how.

Title: Shattered Halcyon (Part Eight: Full Circle) Author: Cinnamon Scully

Mulder and Scully went to bed shortly after they got home from the reception. They were so tired from all of the dancing. Mulder said, "Let's get these guys to bed, and we'll do the same. I'm beat."

Scully smiled at him. "Yeah, I can tell." She led the tired children to their bedroom, putting them to bed.

She gave each one a kiss, exiting to go to bed herself. It had been a long night indeed.

She found Mulder already asleep in the bed. She didn't even get a reaction from him when she climbed into bed. She sighed. He was really tired. She curled up to him, feeling his chest rise and fall with peaceful sleep.

She fell asleep herself, dead to the world around her in sleep. The party had been fun and a little wild. It was no wonder that they were both so tired. She had herself wrapped around Mulder in her sleep.

Peter snuck past their room, to the children's room down the hall. He felt proud of himself for not getting caught by Mulder. He opened the door softly and slowly to not awaken the children.

He snuck slowly up to Kathy's bed, pulling the covers down slowly and off of the sleeping child. Peter lifted the small girl up from the bed, her protest minimal from her tired body. She fell back asleep in his arms. He smiled, this had been easy.

He slowly shut the door again, leaving the house as it had been before coming, minus one little girl. He carried the child outside, and put her into a back seat of the car he had driven in with Marita.

Marita said when he had gotten back, "You got her. The little brat. Now it's just keeping the child from doing anything. We know have to somehow get Alex."

"Let me handle the situation with him. I think I can handle a one armed man." Peter said, smiling.

Marita sighed. This boy would never learn. She just hoped that Peter would catch Krycek off guard and get him back for her. He was so incompetent. She was surprised that Peter had managed to sneak Kathy Mulder out of the house without Mulder noticing. Sneaking Alex Krycek out of his home would be a different task.

They drove away from the quiet house, back to the place that Cancer Man had set up for his transfusion.

He promised that Alex Krycek would be hers. She only hoped that the man would live up to his promise. She really wanted Krycek back with her. Without him, she was nothing as far she was concerned.

Peter looked at Marita, wondering what she was thinking. He knew that even though he had bedded her, that she would only care if he could get Krycek back, and if he could, she'd toss him aside like a used dog.

He gritted his teeth. She was only using him to get her wishes. He had to obey, or she'd have him killed.

He knew that.

The next morning, Mulder and Scully went to wake their children. Mulder stepped into the room first. He noticed the empty bed, blankets pulled away neatly. He knew that his little girl didn't get up like that. Her blankets were always a mess.

He cursed. Some one had abducted his child during the night. He said, "Scully, Kathy is gone!"

Scully rushed into the room. She saw the empty bed, the way it was neatly pulled back. She said, "Cancer Man, and you know it." She sighed.

Mulder took Scully into his arms. "I'll get her back, Scully. I'll get Kathy back. You just keep Jack and Teresa safe. I don't want another child to go missing.

Call Doggett and Samantha. Tell them what has happened. I'm going to get a hold of Krycek. We're going to have to track Kathy and get her back.

Scully nodded. She ran to call Doggett and Samantha.

"John, someone took Kathy last night. She's gone."

She could hear Doggett's voice through the line, "Dana, do you know who took her?"

"We know that it was a person. The blankets were pulled back neatly from her bed, and They would have left a mess. Mulder and I think it's Cancer Man. He's on his way to get a hold of Krycek. They're going to try and get Kathy back." Scully told him.

"He should be careful when he goes to do that. If he isn't careful, he'll end up havin' a larger problem on his hands. I'm sure you wouldn't handle that very well, Dana. I'll tell Sam. We'll take the other children for you. I'm sure you'll want them to be as safe as possible," Doggett said.

"Thanks John. I knew that if I called you, you'd do something for us. Mulder's furious and so am I," Scully said.

"Yeah. Just be careful. I'll be over to pick up the other children in a moment," Doggett said, hanging up.

Scully said, "John is on his way to pick up Jack and Teresa. You go and get Krycek. I think the sooner we take action the sooner we can get our baby girl back."

Mulder walked towards her, pulling a black pullover over his head. "Yeah. Let's just hope that we can manage to get the child back. I don't like this, but I'm not going to just give up and let Cancer Man keep my child."

Scully gave him a kiss. She picked up from the table Mulder's gun. She gave him the gun, and picked up the stiletto next to it. "Don't leave without this. You'll more than likely need it more than your gun."

Mulder gave Scully a kiss. "If I'm not home by midnight, go and stay at Doggett's. I'll be looking for you there."

She nodded. "I hope it doesn't come down to that."

"Me either. It's a possibility. Scully, don't worry about me too much. I'll be fine," Mulder said.

"I know. Be careful." Scully gave him one more kiss before he disappeared out the door.

Mulder rushed over to Krycek's. He pounded on the door, yelling, "Answer dammit!"

Krycek opened the door, "You act as if we're enemies Mulder. What's the problem."

"Kathy. She's gone," Mulder said, pushing his way inside.

Krycek shut the door. "When did this happen?"

"Some time last night. She was taken. The sheets were pulled back neatly, the others left alone. I think it was someone working for Cancer Man. He needs something. He does," Mulder said.

"He's dying, Mulder. He needs AHH blood. Even though he could get his hands on it, he doesn't know how to transfuse it, nor does anyone else." Krycek said.

"But he has my baby girl, and if we don't get her out of there, he'll use her to save himself, that's if you're right about him wanting her for that purpose," Mulder said, nervous and pacing.

"First, you should calm down. If you don't something wrong will happen and you won't be helping to get Kathy back." Krycek said, placing his hand onto Mulder's shoulder.

Mulder took a couple of deep breaths. He said, "You're right. I could end up doing something foolish and that would hurt Kathy."

Krycek said, "Let me finish getting dressed. You locate the child and we'll head up there to save your child. Scully staying with the other children?"

"Yes. She's going to stay with Doggett if I don't return by midnight," Mulder said.

"Alright. I'll send Jane and Alexa there. I don't want something foolish to happen. It's bad enough that Alexa had to be abducted in the first place." Krycek said.

He disappeared into the bedroom. When he came back out, he was wearing a black t-shirt with his leather jacket over it, and a pair of black jeans. He said, "Got all sorts of goodies in these pockets of mine.

That old windbag can send any number of morons to attack me and I'll have them down before they can count to three."

Mulder smiled. "Good. That way we'll have a way to defend ourselves. I'm going to get my little girl out of there, even if I have to sell myself to the devil himself."

Krycek said, "Let's go. I already told Jane that we're taking off. Did you find your little girl's location?"

"Yeah. It's not far from here, but it's not the usual hideout. It's an abandoned clinic no longer used. I'd assume they had it abandoned for this purpose, that and more human testing," Mulder said.

They left Krycek's to go to the clinic that Mulder had located to be where his little girl was being kept. He was just afraid of what he would find when he got there.

When Doggett arrived to Mulder and Scully's, he said, "So it was Kathy that was taken?"

"Yep. She was taken last night, probably by someone hired by the Cancer Man. John, he wants me to stay with you guys," Scully said.

"Alright. Just grab a few things, and we'll go." He waited for her to get things for staying the night at his place.

They walked their way back to his, and she said, "Children, if you're still tired, you can rest upstairs," Scully said.

Doggett said, "You too, Dana. If you need to rest, you go right ahead."

"I can't possibly sleep, John. There is no way I can sleep until I know that Mulder and Kathy are home safe and sound." Scully sighed. "I wish that this roller coaster would just stop," Doggett said, "I know I do. Sam! Will you get our sofa more comfortable for Dana? She might decide to nap a bit later."

Samantha came out, hugging Scully. "Oh Dana, it's terrible that your child is taken. I'm sure that it was someone working for William. That silly old man is up to no good."

"Silly or not, he just might do something that could hurt either Kathy or Mulder. I don't think that I can handle that right now."

Samantha smiled. "I'm sure Fox will be careful. He'll get your little girl back somehow. He always does. I'm sure he'll figure something out. You just sit back and try to relax."

Scully sat down on the prepared sofa. She sighed. "I just wish I was there with him and Krycek. I'm sure he thought that I should stay behind so that the children would have one of us. I just don't like how this is feeling."

"I know how you feel, Dana," Doggett said. "Try to get some rest. You can't expect to do much more. It is still early, and I'm sure that you're still dead tired from the party last night. I know that Sam and I were, but we're awake now," Samantha said, "It'd be better for you. I know that."

Scully finally gave in. "Alright. I'll get some sleep."

Samantha sighed. "Good. I know that it's difficult for you to be asleep when you worry. I know the exact feeling."

Scully was already asleep when Samantha had finished her sentence. Samantha turned to Doggett, "I was hoping to tell these two the good news too."

"I know you were looking forward to it. I'm excited for us," Doggett said.

"If only I can carry to term this time," Samantha said softly.

"We'll find a way to do so," Doggett whispered. "I'm so excited that we might be havin' another baby. Andy does need a brother or sister."

Samantha smiled. "I agree with you. He does. He does look envious of Jack from time to time."

"I know. I've noticed that," Doggett said, giving her a kiss.

When they arrived, Mulder was cloaked, while Krycek was in the open. Krycek said something about wanting to be able to be seen, so that he might distract.

Mulder hung back, while Krycek snuck around to locate anything that might lead to Kathy.

Suddenly Krycek was jumped, but he easily threw the attacker off. He sneered at the man. "You want to be attacking a disabled man like that?"

The man stepped out of the shadows, grinning. "This is going to be easy, Alex Krycek."

"Really? How so?" Krycek gave his patented devilish smile.

"Mainly because I'm better equipped," the man said.

"I think you should know the name of the man who is about to take you prisoner. My name is Peter."

Krycek laughed. "So suave. You have my old job, eh? What makes you think that you'll be rewarded for your so valiant an effort?"

"Because I'll do it right." Peter said, inching his way closer.

Krycek said, "Maybe you should recalculate an attack on me, Peter."

"Why's that?" Peter said, still standing ready to attack.

"Because I'm going to hurt you first." Krycek drew from his leather jacket a throwing star. He took it to Peter's throat. "Not bad for a one armed man, is it? I'd run before someone else who is more angry than me shows up."

"You mean Fox "Spooky" Mulder, don't you." Peter said.

"That would be me." Mulder decloaked himself. "You're really messing with the wrong man."

"Oh really?" Peter said, not flinching from the star at his throat.

"You're not half the paid assassin Krycek used to be. He's still got the ability, and if I decide, he just might kill you."

"Are you sure about that, Fox?" Peter said, trying to make Mulder angry.

Mulder was already angry. He was now deathly quiet about what he was about to do next. He said in his mind, [Remove the star when I hit him. I don't want to leave a dead man behind.]

Krycek nodded. Mulder made his hand into a fist, and hit the man in the back of the head, making him crumple to the floor.

Mulder made it down to the room he knew that Kathy was being kept in. He stepped into the room, seeing his baby girl hooked up to a machine that was drawing her blood. Mulder shouted, "Stop!"

Cancer Man turned, smiling. "Ah, Mulder. I was counting on you arriving," Mulder said, "Take me, leave her go. You want that cancer healed, then take me. I'll heal you. I'm AHH."

Cancer Man smiled. "Would you trade places with your daughter like that, Mulder? Would you really do that?"

"Yes. I'll do anything to save Kathy. Just don't do anything to her."

Krycek heard him, and he was about to stop Mulder, when Peter got a lucky shot on Krycek. Peter hit Krycek, causing him to crumple. He dragged Krycek away from the lab.

Mulder said, "Just get my little girl home, and I'll give you the blood you need to live. I don't want my little girl to be used like this."

"Very well. Unhook the girl, and put Mulder on the table. Make sure that he can't resist," Cancer Man said with a cough. He smiled at Mulder. "Part of the agreement will be you save my life and then you go to testing with the aliens. This is all to save your daughter's life."

"Yes. I'll do it. Just get my girl home," Mulder said.

He knew that he had no choice. If he tried to jump and save Kathy, an ABH just might use a stiletto on her to kill her.

Mulder made his way to the table where Kathy was. He said, "Kathy, wake up honey."

Kathy opened her eyes, the Black Oil disappearing from her eyes. She said, "Daddy, where am I?"

"You'll be going home now sweetie. Will you tell your mother for me that I have to go where Aunt Samantha goes to time to time? I'd much appreciate it, sweetie."

"Yes, Daddy. Are you going to be away for a very long time, Daddy?" Kathy asked very innocently.

"Daddy doesn't know, sweetie. You just be strong for you mother, and let her know that I love her. I'll miss you." He bent down, giving his child a kiss before the ABH lifted her from the table.

The ABH said, "I'll bring the child home. She will be unharmed unless you resist."

Mulder nodded. "Thank you."

Kathy looked back to see her father placed onto the table. She screamed and began to cry. "DADDY!"

Mulder yelled back, "It'll be alright, baby girl. Just be strong for Mommy."

He would endure the tests for Kathy's sake. He would even if it killed him. He knew he didn't have a choice. He just prayed that Scully would forgive him.

In the kitchen, Samantha and Doggett were preparing for lunch. Samantha took out some eggs, mayonnaise, and celery. When she put the things on the counter, Doggett gave her a kiss.

She said, "John, how do you expect me to get anything done with you being frisky like that?"

Doggett gave her a smile. "That was exactly why I was bein' frisky."

"Make yourself useful. Dice that celery." She smiled at him. "It's okay to be frisky from time to time."

"Admit it. You like me bein' frisky when we're in the kitchen," Doggett said, wrapping his arms around her.

"Aren't you supposed to be dicing some celery, John dear?" she asked, smiling.

"Yeah." He gave her a kiss on the neck before going to dice the celery. He smiled at her as she mixed the rest of it together. He liked it when she did somethings by hand.

She smiled back at him, knowing that he was watching her.

A knock came to the door. Samantha went to answer it, Doggett following her to the door. She opened it, finding an ABH with Kathy in his arms.

The ABH said, "I have brought home the child. Your brother has surrendered himself to testing for her freedom."

"How long will he be gone?" she asked as she took Kathy from the ABH's arms.

"As long as the testing is necessary. You know that, Samantha." The ABH simply stated. He left then.

Samantha shut the door. "I guess I'll be the one to tell Dana that Fox is in testing. What was he thinking in going into testing like that?"

Doggett took her into his arms. "He wanted to do what ever it took to save Kathy from the testing. I'm sure he'll be fine, we can only hope."

"He hasn't been abducted as much as I have. I don't know what will happen to him," Samantha said. She sighed.

"I know. Let's let Dana sleep before we tell her. I don't think we can go telling her right away. Give me the child. I'll put her to bed with the rest," Doggett said, softly.

Samantha gave Kathy over to Doggett. She gave him a weak smile, knowing that the roller coaster just got worse. She sighed, to go and finish the egg salad mix for chilling for lunch.

Doggett carried the sleeping Kathy upstairs. He set her gently down into the bed, covering her with a blanket. He gave her a kiss on the forehead. The child had been through a horrible ordeal.

Krycek woke up feeling dizzy. He shook his head, and looked around. He groaned when he saw Marita standing by the place he was tied to. He noticed that it was a bed.

She said, "So, Alex, do you want to do this for old time's sake?"

Krycek swore at her in Russian.

"That's not very polite, Alex."

Krycek gave her a smile, whispering in a sexy voice, "Are you sure you're going to want me bound when we do this?"

Marita smiled. She knew that he would be willing. She said, "Ah, but I like you bound first."

She approached him. Krycek figured out the knot that Peter must have tied. He had his hand free, though it looked bound. She kissed him hungrily, and he indulged her, simply so she'd get comfortable and then he could make his escape.

She rubbed his chest underneath his shirt. She whimpered at him. He felt sick about this, but he would play along until he could make his break.

She ran her hands through his hair as she kissed him deeply. She was the only one enjoying this. He finally grew sick of dealing with it. He decided to knee her, causing her to get off of him.

He slid his hand out of the bound, hitting her as he made his escape past her. He knew that Mulder wouldn't be here anymore, so he had to get out of here, and now. He was surprised that he still had all of his weapons.

After he left the place, he felt guilty for having let Marita kiss him like that. He sighed. He hoped that Jane would understand that he could have done nothing about it.

He got into the vehicle that he had hidden before they went into the compound. He knew that what he had to tell Scully might be more difficult than what he had to tell Jane. He sighed again as he drove.

He knew that Scully would be at Doggett's by now. He parked his car in front of the house. He hoped that Jane and Alexa were here too. When he approached the house, Jane ran out to greet him. She kissed him.

"Don't feel guilty. We still haven't told Dana. We're letting her sleep a bit more. John told Walter already."

Krycek nodded. He followed her into the house, the guilt upon his heart, now that he had kissed Jane too.

Jane picked up on Krycek's guilty vibe. She asked, "You guilty about something else?"

Krycek looked pained for a moment. "I wasn't exactly with Mulder when he allowed himself to become a lab rat. I was some how knocked out by the man who took my old job. When I woke up, Marita was there. I had to indulge her just a bit before I could get loose."

Jane kissed him. "Don't feel so guilty. It was her and not you doing this."

"I can't help it. I feel bad for Scully though. When she wakes, she is going to be very upset. I tried to stop Mulder from doing this, but that was when I was knocked out." Krycek said softly.

" I figured as much. Poor Dana is right. She is going to wake up feeling horrible when she hears of what Mulder did," Jane said. She hugged him. "I'm okay as long as you and Alexa are with me, and that both of you are happy."

Krycek smiled. "Yeah. I just feel so bad for Scully.

She loves Mulder so much. I have a funny feeling that when she wakes up and hears this, we'll have to keep the breakables away from her. I think she just might throw a tantrum if we're not careful."

Doggett overheard Krycek say this. "I agree with you there. It's going to be chaos and she's going to be causin' a lot of it."

Samantha came back out. "Okay, lunch members seem to be multiplying faster. Now all we need is the Gunmen.

I don't have enough egg salad for everyone."

Krycek smiled. Of course Samantha would worry about a bunch of silly sandwiches on top of her brother. He said, "Don't worry about me, Samantha. I don't think I can eat right now anyway."

Samantha nodded. "Alright. I better go and wake poor Dana. I hope that she'll be okay. I don't want to see her too upset by this, but I don't think we have a choice in that matter."

Krycek nodded. He sighed. "It's going to be a bad thing when she finds out. I'd say that she's going to be very angry. That and sad."

Samantha nodded. "Let's just hope we can get her to calm down enough that she doesn't hurt herself or someone else."

Scully came down the stairs. She said, "Where is Mulder?"

The room fell into a hush. Everyone looked at each other, trying to figure out what was going on and what they should say.

Scully raised her eyebrows. "Look, I know that something happened, because Kathy just came to hug me, and Krycek is here. So, where is Mulder?"

"You just might want to sit down, Dana," Doggett said.

Scully did as she was told. She sat down, asking, "Well, what do you have to tell me, John?"

Doggett sighed. "To get Kathy back, Mulduh sold himself to testing."

Instead of the reaction expected, Scully grew very quiet. She looked lost in thought, and she clasped her hands tightly in her lap. When she finally spoke, it was very quiet. "Mulder is up there with Them?"

Krycek said, "After he saved Cancer Man's life. He had to have AHH blood. He was going to use your daughter to do it. Mulder charged in, and demanded that it be him instead of Kathy."

Scully looked at Krycek, her eyes revealing the turmoil inside. "So, he saved Kathy. Cancer Man is going to be healthy now?"

Krycek nodded. "Yes."

Doggett sat down next to Scully. He said, "Things will be difficult. Why don't you and the children stay here while he's gone? I know exactly how you feel, Dana."

Scully turned pain filled eyes towards him. She bit her lip to try and prevent tears from coming to her eyes. He knew the fight that was going on her heart.

He said, "Go ahead, Dana. Let it out."

She sobbed then. He took her into his arms, rocking her. He said, "Sam, prepare the guest room upstairs.

We got enough room for all of them."

Samantha nodded. She knew that it was difficult for Scully to not have Mulder with her. She disappeared up the stairs.

Scully sobbed into Doggett's shoulder. "What if they do something horrible to him, and he doesn't survive?"

"Dana, you know he will. He'll come back to you."

"This is worse than the first time I did this. He and I had told each other that we loved each other, but now that we're married, what am I supposed to do?"

Doggett sighed. "You're going to have to be strong. I know how you feel. Don't feel guilty for what happened with Mulduh. He did this out of his love for Kathy and on his own free will. He loves you and the children too much to let you be hurt the way he was up in the ship. I know you were there once, but he never wants you to be there ever again."

Scully buried her face into his chest. "But what of the pain of missing him? What about that pain? Kathy is going to beg me to let her see her father, and I can't let her see him. What do I do about that?"

Doggett replied, "You just have to be strong for your little girl. I'll be here for you anytime you need to talk. Anytime. You just tell me that you want to talk, and I'll listen."

"Thank you, John. I guess I better calm down before I upset myself too much," Scully said, still hugging Doggett.

"Melvin Frohike, if you dare to touch the files that took me 5 hours to organize, I'll put them back the way Jimmy had it, and I'll make you sort through them!" Josephine yelled.

Frohike was digging through the filing cabinet. He was looking for a file on something he was going to research for the paper. He sighed. "Alright, will you get it for me then?"

Josephine nodded. She went to the filing cabinet, digging the file he wanted out. He took it from her, and grumbled as he walked away to his computer.

Josephine said, "Ringo, I think we should go and get my stuff. I don't think we need an armed escort. I'll just ask them for one of their fire arms. No matter how much I hate guns, if I need it, I'll use it."

Langly turned around from his computer. "When?"

"The sooner the better. I want to wear my own collection of rock t-shirts. Tomorrow if by any chance," Josephine said.

Frohike snickered behind them. "You're trapped into going back up to the tundra."

"Hey, I resent that. I grew up there. You wouldn't make it a day. I heard that Minneapolis was at a 60 degree below windchill yesterday. You'd whine and complain."

Frohike gawked at her. "60 below?"

"Yep. Means Marshall is at about 65 then," Josephine said, laughing.

Langly sighed. "Alright. We should get your stuff any ways. I just don't like the cold."

"Hey, I don't like it either, but I'm able to withstand it. I'd like to see the little troll do that."

Frohike glared at her. "Hey."

"Well? Could you?" Josephine asked, smiling. "I'm only kidding, Frohike. You're not a toad."

Frohike smiled back at her. "Thank you. The temp, is that true?"

"Very. It hit 100 degrees below zero windchill, and the temp was 80 below once. Everything shut down that day. We Minnesotans have enough sense not when to go out." Josephine smiled.

"Wow, that was cold," Langly said.

"Prime puzzle doing weather. With almost nothing else to do, you do things like puzzles and watch tvs. It's a very dull day, slow and relaxing, but dull."

Langly said, "That's only because you're a workaholic."

"I admit that freely," Josephine said. "I'm going to pack our bags. See if you can get those tickets for us."

Scully let go of Doggett, putting on a weak smile. She closed her eyes, regaining her composure. She reopened them, asking, "Krycek, did he do anything else?"

"No. I had a hard time with the new guy with my old job. He didn't expect lil ol' me to be better than him. When I was distracted by Mulder bargaining for Kathy, that's when he struck."

Scully nodded. "So, they have another one in your place."

"I'm assuming until they find someone better qualified. I wouldn't go saying that he is great at his job. I wouldn't have a problem in a fight with him," Scully said, "I know you and your coat. You've got all kinds of little stashes of weapons all over inside."

Krycek smiled. "That's right. Jane, should we get going?"

Jane nodded. "Alright, let's get going. I think that Samantha is trying to feed enough as it is. Alexa, we're going!"

Alexa ran to hug her father. "Daddy, do you think Cinnamon is missing us?"

Krycek smiled. "Of course she is, sweetie. She's probably wondering where her little girl went."

Scully smiled at how Krycek was such a doting father.

She shook her head, who would have thought Krycek would be so fatherly to a child? She watched them leave.

Samantha came down the stairs. "We should have lunch soon. I'm going to go and finish it. John, why don't you help Dana get settled in?"

Doggett nodded. He gave her a kiss. "You holler if you need me in the kitchen."

Samantha raised an eyebrow. "I will, John. You just get Dana settled in."

Doggett led Scully up the stairs. When they arrived to the guest room, Scully sat down her things that she had packed to bring with her in the first place. She sighed. It was only supposed to be overnight. Now it would be for only God knows how long.

She sighed, sitting down onto the bed. She felt sad, knowing that tonight she would sleep alone. She would miss being wrapped in Mulder's arms, his scent a blanket around her as she slept. She could only pray that Mulder would return safely.

She wondered if Mulder was thinking about her while he was up there. She sat down on the bed, closing her eyes. She had forgot that Doggett was there.

He touched her shoulder gently, and she opened her eyes. "Sorry."

"It's perfectly fine, Dana. I was just gonna ask you if there was anythin' else you needed."

"No, not right now. I think I'll stay up here until lunch. Just think you know?" Scully said.

"Alright. You don't hesitate to get a hold of me if you feel like talking," Doggett said softly.

"I won't. You go and help Samantha if she'll let you," Scully said, smiling at him. It was a small one, and it didn't reach her eyes. It reminded him of when he was first assigned to help find Mulder in the first place. Amazing how things had changed from that one day that Mulder had returned.

Frohike said, "She's got you trapped."

Langly shrugged. "I can say the same thing about you with Audrey."

Frohike smiled. "You can say that. Have fun in Minnesota."

"Yeah. Let's hope it goes better this time than last time. I don't like having to run for my life," Langly said.

"I know what you mean. We'll keep in contact, right?" Frohike asked.

"Yeah, we will. I'm sure I'll have a lot of Marshall news to report," Langly said laughing.

Josephine came back out wearing her Tigers t-shirt.

She said, "Did you get those tickets?"

"Yep. We leave tomorrow morning," Langly said. He had been arranging the flights while he talked with Frohike.

She smiled. "Finally, my Stones collection back in my possession again. I missed it, don'tcha know?"

Frohike could only laugh. She spoke Minnesotan just like in Fargo. Of course it was just an over exaggeration to make others laugh. "I'm sure it will be."

Josephine said, "I know one thing that we'll do while we're in Marshall. You'll have to wait to find out, Ringo. I'm not going to go and tell you, or you'll want to stay home."

Langly sighed. "Alright. Just as long as it isn't too painful."

"Not painful by any sense."

Frohike and Langly exchanged looks. They shrugged, knowing that Langly couldn't do anything about it, so fighting it would only make things worse. They went back to working on their articles.

Josephine said, "I'm going to get something to eat, and then I'm going to view CNN. If you need me, just get a hold of me."

Langly nodded. He said, "We'll get you if we need you anytime soon."

Josephine smiled. "Have fun, boys."

Scully laid down on the bed in the guest room she would be staying in until Mulder returned. She sighed, her arm going underneath a pillow, her head on the pillow as she thought. She was already worried about what was happening to Mulder. She knew it wasn't good.

She sighed, closing her eyes.

She thought of the first time she had met Mulder in his basement office and how he regarded her as a spy.

She couldn't help but smile as she sat thinking about how he had acted so paranoid. She remembered exactly how he looked, that stray curl that always bugged him on his forehead. He had his glasses on, the ones he wore only for reading, and then only when he remembered them.

She could see him smiling at her as he told her theory after theory that she would 'debunk' or as they preferred to call it, 'proving' it. She remembered seeing his eyes light up as they tracked the X-File down.

She remembered all the times when she saw his heart breaking. He was so fragile and so strong at the same time. He could endure the most stressful things, the most painful, but then he would break under other things that were far more personal for him. It was surprising to her from time to time.

Mulder was always making jokes, she couldn't help but smile at the memories she had of his wise cracks. She could remember the time when he had tricked her on the roof top of the Dallas Federal Building. She laughed as she remembered him saying proudly, "I had you big time, Scully."

Now that he was gone again, she wondered what would happen to her and her children. She knew that it would be difficult for her children to understand from time to time that Daddy had to go away for awhile. She couldn't help but feel her heart break as she thought about the pain she'd see in those children's eyes when she had to tell them that she didn't know when Daddy was going to come home.

She sat up, staring out the window. The sun shone out brightly on the winter D.C. morning. Though there wasn't any snow on the ground, there was a bit of chill in the air. She knew that there was when she came over. She felt that the sun shining away like that was so unfair. She felt a rain cloud descend onto her heart, not to be lifted until Mulder was returned safe and sound.

Kathy came in to see her mother standing by the window. Jack wasn't far from her, and Teresa took the tail. They saw how down their mother was with the absence of their father. Jack said, "Mom, he'll be home. You got to believe that."

Scully turned to look into Jack's eyes. He had Mulder's exact color of eyes. It was like looking into Mulder's eyes all over again. "I know, I just miss him so much."

Jack hugged his mother. He said, "I know that Dad had to go away." He was so grown up for his age, simply because he was always watching out for his younger sisters.

Scully felt his small arms go around her. She sighed.

"Jack, what he did today was brave, I just wish it hadn't come down to that."

"I know. Aunt Sam said it's lunch time. Why don't you come down stairs?" Jack asked.

"Alright, I will," Scully said.

Scully followed her children down the stairs. She found the lunch already laid out on the table. She gave a weak smile to Samantha and Doggett. Doggett walked over to her, letting her lean on his arm. He seated her, while Samantha set glasses of milk.

Scully felt a little hungry, but she didn't pay much attention to the egg salad placed before her. She was lost in thought about what should have happened instead of what did. She sighed. Samantha asked quietly, "Are you going to be alright, Dana?"

Scully nodded slowly, her eyes down cast as she ate.

She didn't really feel like talking right now any ways. She just wanted to have Mulder back and things to be more normal in her life. She knew that the only way that happened would be for Mulder to come back.

Doggett knew exactly what she was feeling about the whole ordeal. He knew that she was blaming herself for all kinds of things that she had no control over any ways. He looked at Samantha to see if she felt for what he did. That Scully was afraid of what might happen to Mulder.

Samantha said, "Andy, will you please pass me the fries?"

Andy did as his mother told him to, looking a little sober about the whole situation before him. He knew that his Aunt Dana was missing his uncle. He knew that it had happened when Uncle Fox had gone to save Kathy.

He just wondered if his uncle had gone to the same place that his mother went to.

Scully was staring into space now. She was trying in vain not to be thinking about anything at all. She couldn't stop thinking of what had happened the first time when Mulder had disappeared. She knew that she didn't have to face this alone, nor did she have to face a new partner, she'd have someone she could trust almost as much as she trusted Mulder himself. She just wished that this didn't have to happen in the first place. She was feeling a keen hatred towards the aliens that Mulder had spent years chasing, and his 98% always being right turned out to be right here too. It had found him his sister back, his ultimate goal in the first place.

Doggett tapped her shoulder. He said, "Why don't we do something that will distract you. I know that always helps me when Sam's gone."

Scully could only smile at him. She got up from the table, walking towards the couch. She sat down, Kathy climbing into her lap. Kathy was quiet and reserved, not like herself at all. Kathy felt as if she had done something wrong to make her mother angry.

Scully sat with her children, watching a movie. She held Kathy in her arms, a little worried about the child's silence. She was thinking about it while she watched, not really paying attention to the movie.

She held Kathy close to her, sighing. Kathy looked up to her mother's face. She asked softly, "Mommy, did I do something to make you unhappy with me?"

Scully looked into her child's face. "No, darling. Mommy is just missing your daddy. It's not your fault, sweetie."

"But you're upset, and if it wasn't for me, you wouldn't be upset like this," Kathy said quietly.

"Listen to me, baby girl. Your daddy did what he did because he loved you and he loves me very much. What he did was to make sure that we could all be happy, but that will take a little while. It's not your fault that evil people want to do evil things to us."

Kathy nodded. "I'm sorry that Daddy had to do what he did."

Scully hugged her child to her. "It's okay, baby girl. Let's just hope that daddy comes home safely."

"Yeah," Kathy said. She fell asleep in her mother's arms. Scully looked up from her child, staring off into to space, wondering what was happening to Mulder, what things they were doing to hurt him. She felt a tear fall onto her cheek.

Doggett had seen the whole exchange. He said, "Dana, he'll come home safe. They'll do some mean things, but he'll come home alive."

Scully smiled at Doggett. It was a weak smile, one that had little hope in it. She said, "We've got to believe that, right? We've got to believe that in our hearts. I just don't know how to believe that. I guess it's just my doubts crowding in on me."

Doggett put a hand on her shoulder after sitting down next to her. "Well, I have doubts of my own when they take Sam away from me. I think that she'll come home and want to leave me, I think that she'll never come home, but I try to crush those doubts with positive thoughts, though I don't get very many while she's gone."

Scully sighed. "Yeah. I just know that I feel sort of guilty for him having to do what he did. He shouldn't have had to do what he did today. I feel as if I've wronged him and our children in some way."

"Dana, there was no way for you two to have known that a man would be comin' to take your baby away from you. You had no idea that Mulduh would have to sell himself for the safety of that child. It happens, and if we sit around blamin' ourselves for things we have no control over, we'll find ourselves stricken with grief that we can never gain control over again," Doggett said softly.

Scully sighed. "Yeah. I just can't help feeling a little guilty, that's all."

"It's late. Dana, you should get some rest. Just remember, he'll come home to you, loving you all that much more."

Scully smiled at him. She said, "Yeah."

The next morning, Josephine woke Langly early. She said, "Ringo, we're going to be late!"

Langly groaned in his sleep. "Do I have to get up now?"

"Yes. I got up at 5:30 this morning to make things ready."

"What time is it now?"

"7. Now get up sleepy head. You can always sleep on the plane," Josephine said.

"Alright. I'm up. Don't see why it has to be so damn early." He climbed out of bed, grabbing clothes to get dressed for the day.

She flitted about the room, getting things ready to go. She was really anxious to get back to Marshall to get the things she would need from home.

Langly came back out, rubbing his tired eyes, yawning.

He said, "Let's get going, the sooner I board, the sooner I can sleep."

Josephine sighed. "Let's just get going. I'm probably not going to get to sleep until about midnight or later. I don't know what you are whining about."

Langly glared at her for a moment. He helped her lift his bags into the car. She said, "You're going to have to drive here. I don't know the landscape well enough just yet."

Langly replied sarcastically, "Thanks."

She gave him a look, getting into the car. She said, "When we get on the plane, we can both get some sleep.

5 in the morning or so is way too early to get up.

It's not like I'm a farmer or anything."

Langly nodded. He drove to the airport, hoping that they could board right away. He wanted to sleep, and he wanted to sleep right now. He hated getting up early, always had.

She looked tired too, and he realized that she had gotten up very very early just so they could be on time. Their flight was 8:30, and the earlier they arrived, the sooner they could be checked and sent onto the plane.

She had dark circles under her eyes, her shoulders slumped, and she looked ready to drop herself. She yawned. "I hope they seat us right away."

"Yeah. Me too. I don't like to wait at airports."

Langly said, still tired.

"Yeah, but at least I don't have Shawn Cable being ultra enthusiastic in the morning," Josephine said with a smile.

They finally were able to board. Josephine said, "Does it matter who gets the stupid window seat?"

"No. I'm going to go right to sleep until this flight ends," Langly said.

"Me too." She sat down into the window seat. Langly sat down next to her, stretching out. She sighed, yawning. He took out the pillow provided, putting it behind his head.

She immediately turned him into her pillow. She smiled at him, "Hey, it's better than fighting bulky airline pillows."

Scully woke with the sun streaming onto her face. She opened her eyes, sighing. It was such a beautiful morning, but it was so cold and lonely without Mulder.

She had dreamed that he was still there with her. She could feel his arms around her as if he was there now.

She shook off the feeling, pulling the blankets off of her body. She stood up, sighing. It was going to be a long wait until Mulder returned to her. She hated being away from him like this.

She made her way downstairs to see what was going on with breakfast. Of course Doggett and Samantha were already awake. She gave them a weak good morning smile. Doggett said, "Take a seat. I'll get you some breakfast as soon as I can."

She did as told. She noticed that her children were not up just yet. She was worried suddenly that another child had been taken. She was about to rush up the stairs, when Doggett put his hand on her shoulder.

"I checked them this mornin' and all throughout the night. They're all safe and sound. Just let them sleep. They are pretty worn out themselves," Doggett said.

Scully heaved a sigh of relief. She said, "Thank you, John."

"Not a problem. Besides, I have to do something, don't I?"

Scully smiled at him. She said, "Get my breakfast for me, please John," Doggett said, "Ready in a jiffy."

Samantha sat down next to her. She said, "Dana, I just want you to know that no matter what they are doing to Fox, he is strong and can take it. He knows that what he did is going to cause a lot of pain for you, but he sacrificed himself out of love for you. I did the same thing for him and for you. I have a funny feeling that even if this hadn't been his child he would have done the same thing he just had done."

Scully looked down at the table for a moment. "Yeah, I guess so. I just don't know what to think about this.

I just find myself feeling a little empty without him here beside me. I fear for him while he's up there."

"Some day none of us will ever have to go back up there. I promise you of that some day. I will stop them from their evil testing. I just haven't gotten all of the things I need just yet."

Samantha was about to get up, when Doggett said, "Sit, Sam. I'll get it for you."

Scully wondered if that was Doggett's gentlemanly behavior or something else. She saw Samantha smile radiantly. She as a doctor and as a woman knew what was making Samantha smile like that. Samantha was pregnant again. "Congratulations on the expectancy of another little one."

Samantha beamed at her. "Thank you so much, Dana. I hope to make it this time with the child. I don't care what it is, as long as the baby survives."

When they arrived in Minneapolis, they rented a car.

Josephine said, "We'll take 212 out to Marshall. Takes less time. Takes us by Valley Fair and The Minnesota Renaissance Festival grounds too. Best festival in the country."

Langly asked, "Here? Ever gone to it?"

"For years. It's in August. I'll show you it when we go past. It's not much to look at right now, but hey."

"I'd die to go to that."

"I don't know. There is an awful lot of walking. Puke and Snot is always there, but I don't know if they'll be here this year. Look out for Pastinorius. He's gross and rude. I wouldn't want to see you get mauled."

Langly smiled, "So, is it a Summer trip?"

"Ringo, I don't know. We'll have to see what is happening. We will never go on Labor Day. Too crowded and not much fun then."

She drove the car down the road, past all of the cold Minnesota farmland. She said, "Hey, if we do go, who goes?"

"How about just you and me." Langly was feeling a bit brave.

"I see. No Frohike or anyone else?" Josephine asked.

"Nope. It'd be fun," Langly said.

"Yes, yes it would. It's a great place. Huzzah! 20 pounds for the King! Get used to that phrase. It's repeated by all the shopkeepers when someone uses a 20 dollar bill."

Langly said, "Sounds like fun."

"Hey, thinking of the best Summer activity makes the cold not so cold. I refuse to let you play Human Chess. Too dangerous."

Langly pouted for a moment. "Come on."

"No. The jousters get involved and it's just too dangerous for you. Believe me. You try to get out of there as fast as you can when Human Chess starts. They will grab anyone they can to play a pawn, just so they can kill you off."

Langly nodded. "What else is there?"

"Hmm, Zilch the Tory Steller. Would you like a story told you. Mind you, No Huck Finn. No Robin Hood, Friar Tuck, it falls apart after that."

"I see. You reverse the letters, right?"

"Exactly. Piddle iddle in the marking lot. Great part of the Rindercella story," Josephine said. "I've seen it a few times. Almost every year."

"I'll have a translator then," Langly said.

"It's not hard," Josephine said. I'm going to utilize good radio until we get to Marshall. Then we're stuck."

Josephine turned on the radio, at a low. She smiled at Langly for a moment, saying, "You remember the stupid station we had to listen to in the cafeteria, right?"

"Yeah."

"Brace yourself, we'll be stuck with it for our stay."

Josephine said. "So let's utilize the fact that we can listen to KQ102 until we're stuck with Krap Krap C Krap."

Langly laughed at her nickname for the radio station.

He was surprised by how open she was about the area.

She knew so much about it. He asked, "So what happens to your house?"

"My blessed house? Goes to that Republican I was arguing with when you met me. He's been eying the place for a very long time. He wanted to move in with me, as if we were dating or something."

"Why didn't you go after it?" Langly was curious.

"What, and let a anti abortion, pro death penalty, Republican scum into my home of Democratic National Conventions? It would never work, besides, he's not my type. Too stuffy and spends too much time bashing Clinton for my liking," Josephine said.

"Oh. Wish I had a Republican that I could have you argue with," Langly said smiling.

"What ever for? It's tedious and boring to people watching," Josephine said, eye brow arched.

"I like to watch you argue. It's fun, and you argue so well." Langly replied.

"Are you trying to flatter me?" Josephine asked.

"Maybe."

She sighed. "Let's just get to Marshall. I may not need a Republican to argue with any ways. There is always Frohike. I could always argue with him about Mel Gibson's real name."

Langly laughed. "You'd win that one before it even began."

"I know. Too easy. We will be living in D.C. I'm sure I can find a bunch of Republicans to argue with. I'll have to get very active in the Democratic Party in D.C."

"You go right ahead. Why not," Langly said.

"Aren't you supposed to be paranoid of those types of things?"

"Nah. Why should I when I know that you won't be cheating the American People?" Langly asked her right out.

"I guess so," Josephine said.

Marshall lay before them now, and she said, "SSU right to your right. We're back on East College. Alright, let's get some supper. Why not Embers?" Josephine asked.

Scully was lost in thought again. She was thinking about her own children. She thought about the way Kathy was so guilty about something she had no control over. It broke her heart thinking about the child's guilty heart.

She also thought about having another child of her own. She wanted one. She knew that much, but now with Mulder gone she didn't know if that was possible. She didn't know if he'd want one too. She lost in her thoughts as to what she should do now, while Mulder was gone.

Doggett placed a hand on her shoulder to distract her from her thoughts. He smiled at her, asking, "Hey, we do have things we can do if you want."

"Oh?" Scully asked, trying to sound enthusiastic about doing anything.

"I don't know. We could perhaps go out for coffee, or anything really. I know that you just need anything to distract you from Mulduh's testing," Doggett said softly.

"Hmm, maybe. I don't know just yet. I don't feel like really going out into public right now," Scully said.

"That's alright. We don't have to. We can do whatever you feel that you want to. I don't want to pressure you," Doggett said softly.

She sighed. "John, I can't but help to think about Mulder and what they might be doing to him. It's terrible to think about what could be happening to him."

"I know, Dana. I know it's real hard. When Samantha is gone, I spend most of my time thinking the same things you are right now. Maybe I could do something to make things better. I keep blaming myself for things I couldn't have possibly prevented. I think about it when I'm even supposed to be distracted," Doggett said, looking into Scully's pained face.

She sighed. "John, it doesn't ever stop hurting while they're gone, does it?"

"I'm afraid not," Doggett said. "I wish I could tell you something else, Dana. It's hard to know that your spirits might not change for the better for a long time. You just got to hang in there."

"Yeah. I guess that's all I can do," Scully said, looking back down to the table.

"Sure, why not?" Langly said.

Josephine pulled into the Embers parking lot. She picked a booth, sitting down in it. She said, "There he is. There's Richard."

Langly saw him approach. He decided to take the seat next to Josephine rather than across. Richard sat down across from him. He asked, "So, Josephine, where did you take off to any ways?"

"D.C., a few other crazy things," Josephine said.

"You just up and left Marshall to go to Washington D.C. You're just pulling B.S., right?"

"No. This man and his friend and his sister took me with them," Josephine said coolly.

Richard eyed Langly for a moment. He wanted to know what made Josephine interested in him. He said, "Richard Sweet."

Langly outstretched his hand back, "Ringo Langly. It's really Richard, but I don't like to be called that."

Richard gave a small smile back. He knew that Josephine had to dig that, though she was a Stones fan.

Josephine said, "I'm moving to D.C. I just came to get my stuff, and tell you that my house is now your house."

"Really? You're letting me take the house?"

"Yeah. Just don't corrupt it with your Republican and Reactionaire ways. That house rejoiced when Clinton won. You get the house, and all the beds with bedding.

I can't take them with me. I'm going to pack all of my clothes, take my Stones album, my computer. I'm going to have to make a list, aren't I?"

"Yeah, Jo, you will. I wouldn't mind having the house." Richard said, his hazel eyes glancing at Langly from time to time. He knew that he didn't stand a chance against a once in a life time chance to live in D.C.

"I'm glad you're going to take the house. I'll just have the papers finalized for you before I leave, and she's all yours. Oh, and the cats go with me, so you won't have to worry about Bit Bit. She never did like you. Ringo, do you think that Bit Bit will like Frohike?"

Langly remembered seeing the cat. The cat seemed vocal and not very friendly to some people. "No." For some reason he felt as if he should be tight lipped about the whole thing. He didn't want Richard knowing too much. Maybe it was just paranoia.

Josephine laughed suddenly. She said, "What am I thinking? Bit Bit is going to be mad when she finds out we're moving in the first place, and that she can't go outside when we get there."

Richard rolled his eyes. "You and you're cats."

"Hey, they were my only friends for a while. I didn't see any of my people friends living up to my fur person ones, now did you?"

"No, no." Richard shook his head. He was going to miss this woman.

Meanwhile, Mulder was being tested brutally. He knew that he would be suffering when he got home, and though he was an AHH, he didn't know how to block pain like his sister did. They took into the room with the table. He tried to fight and get away, but They were too strong for him.

They strapped him down onto the table, placing a crown onto his head. He screamed as soon as he felt the millions of tiny needles puncture his scalp. He looked up with vision blurred by pain to see that they were going to pour Black Oil into those wounds. When it hit, he writhed back, screaming.

He thought about what Scully must be feeling right now for only a moment before the pain took over completely, and he slipped quietly into blackness.

The ABHs lifted him easily from the table, carrying him back to his chair to continue testing. His body was battered and bruised, but They did not care nor did They acknowledge that they could easily kill him if They weren't careful. They knew the tolerance level of Fox Mulder. They knew that he could possibly be the second best test subject they've ever had.

They strapped him down firmly into the chair. When that was finished, the ABHs walked off to find another subject to test. They wanted to make sure that They didn't Mulder beyond his limit and therefore kill him.

A test subject not far away saw what they had done to Mulder. They didn't know who he was, but they knew that he was going to die if something wasn't done for him. It wouldn't be long for his body to shut down as far as the other test subject was concerned.

Mulder's body was naturally gathering in strength to endure. The Black Oil in him was correcting the painful use of the Crown of Pain, it was rehashing his system to endure the pain and to repair, though on the outside it might not look as if that was what was going on.

Mulder's head hung lifelessly onto his chest. To anyone watching they would have swore that he was dead. But if you were to approach him and put a hand by his mouth, you'd feel a shallow rush of warm air as he struggled to breathe.

Scully was watching television. She was trying to find anything to distract her from Mulder, but none of it seemed to be working. She sighed. Maybe she was going to just feel down until he returned and there was nothing she could do about it. She felt like just giving up all together, but knew that Mulder wouldn't like her to do that either. She was positively stuck.

A knock came to the door. She wondered who was coming to visit Doggett or Samantha. She decided to answer it for them. When she opened the door, she saw the Lone Gunmen, minus Langly. She said, "What you guys doing here?"

"We heard that Mulder was abducted again. We thought we'd come over to see how you were doing. Are you holding up alright?" Byers asked.

Scully looked down, sighing. "Come on in. I'm sure that John and Sam wouldn't mind seeing you."

They entered, looking around for a few moments.

Frohike said, "I know that Mulder did it for your child..."

"Stop. I'm trying to relax and let go for a bit. I can't help but think of him, but I don't feel like talking about it," Scully said softly.

Frohike nodded quietly. He didn't know what to say, didn't know what to do.

"So, where is Langly off to?" Scully asked.

"Marshall with Josephine. They left early this morning to get on their flight so she could get her stuff and all that type of thing done," Frohike said.

"I see. Does Langly know about Mulder?" Scully asked.

"Not that I know of. He said something about that he'd give us a call from Marshall as soon as he could and that if anything happened to let him know then," Byers said, "Oh, I see," Scully said. "John! Sam! The Gunmen are here!"

Doggett came down the stairs. He said, "Heard the news, did you?"

"Krycek told us this morning."

"Oh. Well, just make yourselves at home. I'm going to get some stuff at the store. Why don't you two help Dana pick out a movie or something," Doggett said.

"Alright."

"Sam! Keep an eye on the Gunmen while I'm gone!"

Sam came down the stairs. "John, don't be so mean."

"I know, I was only kidding. Be back in a few minutes." He gave her a quick kiss and exited out the door.

Audrey said, "Like we need watching."

"Some us do," Melanie said.

Frohike glared, and Scully laughed at how the group though increased in size still bickered about everyone.

"Well, I'll leave you two to do what ever it is you're going to be doing. Have fun." Richard got up out of the booth. He walked away, back to the table he was sitting at before he had noticed Josephine with Langly.

Langly said, "So, what do you want to do after we eat?"

"We don't have to rush to pack, do we? I don't feel like tackling the mess just yet. Why don't we go do some shopping, maybe visit some friends of mine, and rent a movie calling it a day. I'll even make that home cooked meal I promised but couldn't last time."

Langly smiled. "Alright. Sounds good to me. We'll have to start packing tomorrow though."

"Yeah. I know. Doesn't that tedious work suck?"

Langly laughed, "Yeah, yeah it does."

They ate their lunch quietly, with a few comments here and there. Josephine was thinking about how she was going to organize her things when she finally got to packing.

Langly was thinking of what they were going to do that night. He wondered what sleeping arrangements were going to be made and what things were going to be done.

Suddenly both thought lines were broken up when an obnoxious voice disrupted. "So, Josephine, you finally found a boy friend, did you?"

Josephine looked up into a tall man's face. She knew the voice right away. She said, "You'll never grow up.

Still being rude are you?"

Langly glared at him. He didn't want to have deal with a creep today. Not when they had been having so much fun.

Josephine said, "You'll never change. I'm surprised you graduated from high school let a lone college."

The man said, "At least I've got friends."

"I've got friends. You just don't care for them, Ucker. You're always putting others down, yet you don't realize that yelling the same phrase over and over again is a little retarded. Don't even think of yelling it here. Just move on and find someone else to pick on. I'm irritated enough by just having to see you here."

Ucker walked off, finding another person to be rude to. Langly asked, "Who was that?"

"A guy I went to school with. He's got some mental problems I swear. The boy stands around yelling the stupidest things. I'm surprised he can even live on his own."

Langly smiled. "If you're done, let's go. What do you want to do next?"

"Hmm, I can probably ask Karen the Hair Goddess to give me one last trim before I go," Josephine said, smiling deviously.

"What about me?" Langly asked, wondering what she was up to now.

"You, you're going to get your hair cut too."

Josephine said smiling.

"What are you laughing at, Pretty Lady?" Frohike asked.

"You. You guys still argue about everything, all of you do. It's funny to watch," Scully said.

"You should have been there when Josephine ripped my head off for going into the filing cabinet. Said that she'd make me refile it from where Jimmy had it before. I don't think I want to do that, so I left it alone," Frohike said.

"Good plan. So, now that those two are gone, what do you think of all of this?"

"Well, I like Josephine. Not as much as Langly likes her, but I do like her," Byers said.

"Oh?" Scully asked. This might be the thing to distract her. It amused her that the Gunmen had all been caught by a woman.

"Well, he seems happier now that Josephine is here."

Byers said.

"Did you guys ever think that he actually fell in love with someone. Boy you guys are boneheads sometimes.

I'm going to see what Samantha is up to, and what the children are doing. I don't want to leave them alone too much." Scull said, walking to go up the stairs.

Frohike and Byers exchanged looks. Maybe that was it.

They had seen how Langly acted around the young woman.

They shrugged.

Jack came tumbling down the stairs. He ran up to Frohike, yelling, "Uncle Frohike!"

Frohike smiled at him, letting the child hug him. "So, how are you holding up, kiddo?"

"Okay. I'm doing okay. It's been really hard for Mom, but I'm doing okay. I miss Dad," Jack said.

Frohike ruffled the child's red hair. "I bet you do.

Tell you what, if we can talk your mother into going to a movie, we'll go to one. If we can't, we'll argue with your uncle John to let you watch one here."

"That'd be great! Mom! Uncle Frohike wants to take us for a movie!" Jack yelled to his mother.

"Tell him NO! I don't want to go see a movie." Scully yelled back down the stairs. "I'm sorry, I just don't feel up to it."

Jack put a pouty face on. He said, "Let's just stick a movie in when Uncle John gets home. I'm sure he'll let us."

"Alright," Frohike said, smiling at the child.

Audrey said, "I'm hungry. Mel, let's go and see if Doggbreath stocked the shelves with Doritos."

"Audrey, don't say mean things like that," Byers said.

"Sorry, let's go any ways," Audrey said.

Byers rolled his eyes. He hoped that Audrey didn't call Doggett that to his face.

"Me? I'm not cutting my hair!" Langly said, getting irritated. Everyone was always trying to cut his hair.

"A trim, silly. She'll work wonders with your hair.

Don't worry, I wouldn't let Karen cut your hair short any ways," Josephine said. "It's just you need a trim.

I have too many spilt ends myself."

Langly felt guilty for thinking she'd want him to cut his hair. He said, "Oh. Is she really that good?"

"Are you kidding? The Hair Goddess can cut hair. Not much more, but she can cut hair. Be careful what you talk about with her. She doesn't get very much, but she is so nice."

Langly nodded. They left the restaurant to go to the hair place. She said, "Simply Hot. The best hair salon in town. We're right across from StarLand, the video rental place, and we can go to HyVee from there. We'll head back home after that."

Langly nodded. He stepped into the shop after her. He watched her wrinkle her nose as the strong smells of hair styling products, hair spray, and curlers hit her nose. She looked silly like that.

Karen said, "Josephine! How are you doing? Who's the friend with you here? Is he getting his hair cut too?"

"Yeah, just trimmed like me," Josephine said.

"Alright. I wouldn't want him to cut his hair either.

It could be so pretty. Who's first?" Karen asked.

"Me. I'll go first," Josephine said.

"Alright. So tell me, what has been happening with you?" Karen asked.

"Well, I met Ringo, that's his name," she pointed to Langly. "At Embers when he came with a couple of his friends to do something. They're from D.C. and that's where I'm moving to."

"No way. That's cool. I hope you have fun, but I'm going to miss you so much." Karen said.

"Yeah. We came to get my stuff from Marshall to take back to D.C."

"That's cool. What do you plan on doing out there?" Karen asked.

"Hmm, I'm thinking of being a political analyst out there for their paper." Josephine replied while Karen piled part of her hair on top of her head.

Langly watched as Karen made Josephine's hair look so much better, and he thought, [I thought it was pretty before, wonder what she'll do with my hair.] Josephine was laughing while Karen was playing with her hair. Langly wondered what they were talking about. He couldn't hear through all of the blow drying, water running and other people talking, but he hoped it was good.

Scully came back down the stairs to see Byers and Melanie sitting down on the sofa. Byers said as soon as Scully had entered, "The other two went into the kitchen to see if there was any snacks."

Scully nodded. She sat down next to Melanie. She sighed, closing her eyes, leaning her head back on the couch. "I'm sorry that I didn't let Frohike take us to a movie. I just don't feel up to doing anything in public right now."

Byers said softly, "It's not a big deal, Dana. Really, you're going through a difficult time. I'm sure it's really hard for you. They decided to badger John for a movie here."

"He'll crumble and let them watch. You know that. It's the way he is."

"Yeah. He is that way," Melanie said. "He's just too nice sometimes."

"I wouldn't say he's too nice. "There isn't enough really nice men out there these days," Scully said.

"Yeah. I agree there. Let's hope that Audrey didn't clean out his pantry. It would be so unfair for him to have to go back to the store after they want more snacks." Melanie replied.

The door opened. Doggett stepped through. He said, "Got all kinds of snacks. I knew when I saw you guys that I'd need them."

Jack ran out. "Uncle John, can me and Uncle Frohike watch a movie?"

Doggett looked down at Jack. "Sure. Just don't let him go picking the movie. I don't trust his judgment when it comes to movies. Why don't you go and pick a movie out?"

Jack danced around. "Yay! I wanted to watch a movie."

He went to pick the movie out.

Scully said, "You spoil that child to death, did you know that?"

"Well, he wanted to watch a movie. Why not let him?"

Doggett said, taking the groceries to the kitchen.

"Softie," Melanie said.

"Hey, can't help it." Doggett disappeared through the kitchen door.

Scully saw the selection Jack had made. She said, "101 Dalmatians. That's a good movie."

Jack said, "I'll wait until Uncle Frohike and Uncle John come back out to put it in the VCR."

"Alright honey. I'm sure they'll appreciate it," Scully said.

Both houses were stocked with children's movies as well as more adult films for when the children were put to bed. All kids it seems to have grown up on Disney ever since the first one of Steam Boat Willy.

Frohike and Doggett came out, Audrey following behind.

They saw his choice, and Frohike said, "One of my favorites," Doggett said, "Let me put it in the VCR."

They all sat down to watch the film, and Scully was amazed at how the children had control over Frohike.

She thought he wouldn't make a bad father. Now if you could only get rid of some of his bad habits.

Mulder woke a little while later, groaning. He remembered now how much he hated this place of torture. He couldn't think about anything but about the pain he was in. He knew that he was bleeding. He could feel its warm trickle down his cheeks.

He tried to open his eyes, but found the lids too heavy to lift. He was so tired and so abused that he didn't know what he should do about it. He wanted water so badly. Why couldn't he have water?

He tried to shout for water, but found his voice but a whisper. They were slowly killing him, he was sure of it. He was so thirsty, and now that he thought about it, he was pretty hungry too. Why couldn't they be nice enough to feed and water him?

An ABH standing by saw his struggles. It communicated with another ABH stating that he needed substance.

They got some water in a glass and some basic food to give to him.

Mulder watched them approach through blearily eyes. He didn't have the energy to resist anything they would do to him. He felt one ABH take his head into its hand. A glass was placed to his lips, and he drank heavily. He felt it splash over his face, down his chest. It felt cool and refreshing. He gulped down as much as he could.

The other ABH took a slice of bread. It handed it to the ABH after the glass was taken away. The ABH fed him the bread, and Mulder took it in hungrily. He wanted to go home, but he knew he had to live through it to get home.

Once he had been fed and watered, he slipped back into a deep sleep. He wasn't only hungry and thirsty, but he was awfully tired. The tests had been so painful.

He slipped back into that free blackness that released him from his pain.

He had a small smile on his face as he slept. He had fallen into a dream about Scully, a happy dream.

Without her, he might go insane up here. He knew that, and as he dreamed of her, he felt himself grow happier, more hopeful of leaving.

The ABH's that had fed him knew that he was going to survive this testing session very nicely. They knew that they would have to let him go home soon. If they didn't he might cause some disruptions. It was a shortcoming for abducting an AHH.

After Langly had gotten his hair trimmed, Josephine said, "You look so much better. She worked wonders with your hair."

Langly felt odd for a few moments. They stepped out of the salon, walking back outside. She saw how uncomfortable he was. She said, "It looks great. Don't be silly about it."

Langly gave her a smile smile. She shook her head, letting her hair move. "Let's rent a movie!"

They walked over to Star Land, across the street from the building they were at. She said, "Let's hope they have a good movie selection. I'd hate to have to drive out to Premiere Video on EC."

They stepped inside, the light dim inside. She walked with purpose through the store, Langly following.

"Here we are, Action, Sci Fi, Drama, and yuck, westerns. I wouldn't mind Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, but it's up to you."

Langly looked around the store. He found the comedy section. "How about some comedy?"

"Which one you looking at?" Josephine stepped closer to him to see what he was looking at.

He saw her out of the corner of his eye, wondering what she was thinking. He held Meet the Parents. She shook her head. "That's a funny one. Hmm, how about something scary? I'm just throwing out ideas."

"What did you have in mind?" Langly asked her.

"Anything but blood guts and gore. Now I have to decide between Tremors or Psycho." She closed her eyes for a moment. "Tremors it is. I've seen Psycho a few times."

Langly said, "You're going to have to find it. I don't know where it would be in this place."

Josephine started to look at all of the

s that they had. She skimmed all of the names of the movies there. She finally found it, exclaiming, "Found it."

She went to the counter, paying for it. She turned to him. "Off to HyVee from here."

Langly followed her out the door to the car. They would get the groceries and head home finally. Langly just wanted to be able to sit down.

When they got back to Josephine went to the kitchen.

She put the groceries down. Langly followed her into the kitchen. She turned to him, "Will you run up to my bedroom and grab Some Girls? It's the bottom CD in the stand. It should be there, otherwise tell me to look for it."

Langly was surprised about her asking him to go into her bedroom. He did as told. When he got upstairs, he was surprised to remember her directions from the last time he had stayed. He stepped into the room, seeing her neatness. He smiled at her pictures from Stones albums on the walls. He found the CD among her at least 20 some Stones albums.

He brought it down. When she took it from his hand, she put it in the kitchen CD player. "How about a little Shattered." He watched her expertly select the track desired.

It boomed out, and she started to sing along with it.

Not in that voice he had heard that one morning. Her voice matched Mick's perfectly. She paused for a moment. "I picked the accent up a long time ago.

Cockney isn't that hard to learn. At least not his version."

Langly smiled. If Frohike ever wanted to argue about the Stones with someone, Josephine would have him so beat. She knew the man's accent, and not only that but how to speak it. He laughed suddenly.

"What's so funny?" she asked, still in accent.

"You have Frohike totally beat. He'd lose any argument about the Stones," Langly said.

"He'd lose to me about anything except computers and math. I don't do those things. The only thing I do with a computer besides things on the internet is to fight the thing to make it work. Stupid thing crashes five times a day illegally and I can't take it anymore. Stupid piece of junk." She was preparing supper as she spoke.

Langly said, "Tell you what, when we get back to D.C.

I'll tear the thing apart to fix the problem. I'm sure I can figure it out. Now the only other thing is keeping stupid people from the thing."

"Yeah. I totally agree. It's enough when I mess the thing up. I don't need people to do it for me," she said as she restarted the CD.

Langly said, "I'm going to check up with the people at home. I think we should tell them we arrived safely and find out what is going on down there. It'd be good for us to find out."

Josephine nodded. "Go right ahead. I'll just get this ready to go and we'll see what happens later on."

Langly took out his cell phone. He dialed home.

Frohike answered his call. He heard Frohike say, "Hey Punk Ass, you guys left just as we found out that Mulder was abducted. Good job, idiot."

"Don't go being rude and snide with me, Frohike. How were we supposed to know that Mulder would go and get abducted like that?"

"You should have been paying attention. You such a dork," Frohike said back.

Langly sighed. "Frohike, there's nothing I or Josephine could have done. We'll be home in a few days. Just take a chill pill, and don't get mad at her either."

"Alright, but make it quick. We don't need you out in some love nest for the next few weeks playing slap and tickle."

Langly rolled his eyes at the comment. "Frohike, you're walking on dangerous ground here. Why don't you just zip it."

"Alright, just remember to get home soon."

Langly hung up. "Bad news. Mulder was taken. We'll get the packing done tomorrow and head home as soon as we can."

"What did Frohike have to say?" Josephine said, an amused look on her face.

"Oh same old same old. He's always so insulting. I don't know how I live with the man," Langly said, pocketing his cell phone.

"Because deep down you two really love each other like brothers. Don't think you can hide from me."

Jack sat down in his mother's lap. He leaned back, watching the movie. The other children sat with everyone else. Scully wasn't really paying attention to the movie. Rather, she was thinking about what was happening to Mulder again.

Some point during the movie, Jack had fallen asleep.

Doggett saw that he was, and easily lifted the child from her lap. He put Jack back to bed, to nap.

When he got back down stairs, he tapped Scully on the shoulder. "You okay?"

"No," she admitted it freely, knowing she couldn't hide it. Doggett could read her easily, simply because she was his sister-in-law, and that she was a good friend.

He helped her up, taking her into the kitchen to talk.

He asked, "So, what's on your mind?"

"Everything that could be happening to Mulder. Everything that is hurting him so badly and terribly. I just want him to come home to me, to the family," Scully said, tears stinging her eyes.

"I know you do. I know you do. It's going to be okay. He'll come home, and everything will be just fine. He'll come home and you'll be so much happier for it," Doggett said.

"I know. I just don't feel as if I can do it. I don't know if I can do this a second time. You see someone almost killed so many times, and it makes you wonder if you can take that much more. I don't think I can."

Doggett put a hand onto hers. "I think you can. Maybe not for you, but for him. You have the strength in you. You'll find a way. Trust me. You will."

Scully looked down at their hands. She sighed, closing her eyes. "I keep seeing these terrible visions of him being hurt. I keep fearing that something is happening that is going to kill him."

"I know. It is scary to think about. When I first met you and we did this the first time, I knew that I couldn't know what you were going through, not like I do now. You pushed me away all the time, but I knew that you were hurting. Dana, I saw the strength and will not to give in then. You were so determined to keep lookin' and even though I didn't agree with you then, I knew that you'd find him, and you did. So it is with this time," Doggett said, softly.

Scully looked up into his eyes. "I'm so sorry I didn't let you know how I felt then."

"Hey, it's in the past. I know why you did it any ways. I'm just tryin' to tell you that you've got the determination to do it. You will find a way."

"I hope so. I can't take him being gone much more," Scully said, brushing a tear from her eyes.

"I know." Doggett got up, to leave her think for while.

Scully felt herself gather in hope after Doggett left.

She kept thinking about how she didn't have much of a choice but to find Mulder. She knew that she must, so she picked herself up, gathering in the determination to do it. She just feared she would falter.

She ran a hand through her hair, sighing. She knew that this was going to be a difficult task, looking for Mulder. Then he was just her partner, who happened to be the father of her child. Now he was so much more. A partner, a husband, a father to all of her children, a lover, and a best friend. She knew she would lose everything if she failed him this time.

She closed her eyes, allowing herself to see him in her mind as he was when she last saw him. He was wearing that goofy grin, the one when he knew he was off to deal with some dangerous thing. She knew he loved to do those types of things, even though he almost always ended up getting hurt. She smiled for a moment.

She sighed. Mulder wasn't here, and she had no idea when he would be back. She felt a little miserable about it. After all, she missed him more than he could even imagine. She did realize though that Mulder was up there, and that for her things could be much worse.

It made her feel guilty for being so upset about his disappearance. He was suffering much more than she was, she knew it.

She looked down, eyes still closed, and opened them to see her hands on her lap. She sighed again. She felt as if she was just twiddling her thumbs, that she should be doing something about it. But what was there for her to do? She couldn't go shouting to the high heavens that she wanted Mulder back. It would simply do her no good. She knew that as well as anyone else did. She had to find a way to find him. Just had to.

She felt a tiny hand onto top of hers. It was Teresa.

She looked down into the replica of Samantha, some how that was how she had come out, and gave a weak smile.

The child asked, "Mommy, are you going to be okay? You and Uncle John got up during the movie. Why?"

"Because baby girl, Mommy misses Daddy. She wanted to talk to someone, so Uncle John was who she talked to," Scully said, trying to help the child understand.

"But you feel better now, right?" The child asked, blue eyes on her mothers.

"I feel a little bit better, yes," Scully said.

"Do you think that Daddy will come home soon?"

"I certainly hope so. He'll be getting an earful from Mommy when he comes home," Scully said, smiling at the child.

Teresa laughed. "Come finish the movie with us, Mommy."

Scully got up, following her daughter to the living room. Everyone watched her come back in, and they all turned their attention back to the movie.

Langly looked at her surprised for a moment. "How do you know things like that? Are you sure you're not an AHH?"

"Perfectly sure. I just know certain things like feelings, that's all. Oh, would you go and answer the door, my next door neighbor is here, probably wondering what is going on."

Langly was about to say there wasn't anyone knocking when someone suddenly did. He did as told, letting a very tall guy. They both eyed each other warily.

Langly out of more paranoia, the other guy out of surprise.

The man walked into the kitchen, Langly following him.

He said, "Josephine, what's up?"

"Oh, just moving to D.C., hmm, what else is there? I'm going to be a political analyst and I'm not sure what else. Richard will be your neighbor by the way."

The man simply nodded. Josephine said, "I haven't forgotten my manners. Scott, this is Ringo Langly.

Ringo, this is Scott Wenner."

They both eyed each other again, and Scott turned back to Josephine. He seemed to be up to no good as far as Langly was concerned. Josephine ducked easily away from him, saying, "So, what is it this time? I need a tool to fix a car that will never run?"

"I actually came over because I was bored."

"Should have guessed that one. So, now that we know you are bored, there has to be some other reason to for you to come over. Otherwise you'd be at home or cruising with your weird friends, and I think I have weird friends."

"Just wanted to see what you were up to. You haven't been around for a couple of weeks, so I thought I'd stop by when I saw a car in the driveway."

"I see." She finished prepping the pot pie, and placed it into the oven. "No other reasons than that?"

"Nope."

Langly didn't know if he should like or not like this guy. He was up to something as far as Langly was concerned. He could tell that it wasn't any good.

Scott looked at her CD player for a moment. He said, "You and your Stones." He shook his head.

"What's wrong with the Stones? I happen to not enjoy your incessant blasts of Marilyn Manson by the way. It sets my teeth on edge."

Scott laughed, and Langly thought that this guy was being very rude. Not even Frohike would be rude like this to someone in their own home. He kept his mouth shut, not wanting to anger the guy.

Josephine said, "We're going to eat in a little while.

I don't remember inviting you to eat."

Scott put on a bit of a pouty face. "Aw, what got into you?"

"Maybe neighbors that show up out of the blue, eh?"

He smiled at her. She rolled her eyes, placing two mugs into the freezer. "Come on, you'll let me eat here, won't you?"

"Not really. Not unless you can pay," Josephine said.

Langly wondered how she was going to get rid of the guy. He watched Josephine walk out to the living room, looking at another stack of CDs. She grabbed on, showing it to Scott.

Scott promptly said, "Yeah, think I'll be going now."

After he left, Josephine smiled triumphantly at Langly. "Get's him every time."

After supper, Langly and Josephine went into the living room. She said, "Alright, where did I put the movie?" She rummaged through the mess on the table.

"Here it is."

Langly was a little nervous about doing anything for the moment. She sat down, patting the seat next to her. "Come on, don't be shy now."

He smiled at her shyly, sitting where she had patted.

She said, "Now, I might have to fight the VCR, I'm a bit electronically incompetent at times."

Langly said, "Why don't you let me run the VCR? I'm sure it can't be that hard."

"Alright." She handed the remote to him, letting him run the movie.

He pushed play, and asked, "Want me to put it in stereo, since I see you have a stereo system set up to it."

"Yeah. Go right ahead." She sat back, letting him put it into stereo. "You know so much more about these things than I do."

"Well, when you spend weeks doing nothing but dealing with computer software and things like that, you pick it up." Langly inwardly kicked himself for the statement.

Josephine didn't seem to notice. She sat back, patting her lap for a cat that had come into the room. "Hey Bit Bit, we're watching Kevin Bacon. I hate that guy.

He's connected to everything you know."

Langly looked at her with puzzlement. He asked, "How so?"

"Name anything."

"Ok, how about computers?"

"He's been in a movie where computers were used to either edit or that his character used them. Name something else."

"JFK."

"You've got to be kidding me. He was in the movie with Kevin Costner, there fore linking him to Kevin Costner by two things, name and movie."

"I give up," Langly said, sighing.

"It's fun though. I hate the guy, he's linked to everything see?"

"Not Samantha."

"How so?"

"She may have never heard of him."

"Simple, Doggett has, since he has, she's married to him and therefore she's linked to Kevin Bacon."

"That's so cheating."

"You've never played the game," Josephine said.

They watched the movie, and when it was over, Langly noticed that she was asleep on his shoulder. He smiled, knowing that they would have to pack and get home as soon as possible. Hopefully in time to help find Mulder.


One Month Later

Scully got the call that Mulder was in a hospital from Doggett that morning. She rushed out the door, telling Samantha to keep an eye on the children breathlessly.

She got into the car, driving to where they were holding Mulder. When she got there, she said, "Where is he, John?"

Doggett turned around, his face a little sober. He said, "In there, Dana. Be careful though, he's in a bit of rough shape."

Scully looked into his face, concern leaking in. "No, you can't be telling me he is going to die."

"I didn't say die, I'm just warning you that he's not doin' so good. He's a little battered," Doggett said softly. "I'll go in with you, if you want."

"I would like that. How did you find him?" Scully asked softly.

"I found him wandering a bit, dazed and dehydrated by the looks of it. He was clothed for some odd reason.

He was wanderin' on the side of the road as I drove to work. He didn't know what was goin' on, so I brought him here. He must not have the stamina or the experience Sam has. He'll be fine the doctors said."

"Let me see him," Scully said softly.

"Alright, but go in quietly." Doggett followed her quietly into the room. He saw her silently sit down next to him, taking his hand into her own.

She had tears in her eyes. She turned to him, saying, "John, They were so brutal with him. What did They do to him?"

"Well, from what Sam said from her last abduction, They used the Crown of Pain on him, and they did something else to him. I'm so sorry he looks like this, Dana."

She turned away from him, to look at Mulder again. She whispered, "I can't lose him. He has to be alright. I don't know what I'll do if he doesn't get better."

"He'll be fine. I talked to the doctor myself. He said that Mulduh was going to be sore when he woke, but once the dehydration was taken care of, he'd be fine."

Scully turned back to him, "I hope so. It's good to see him back, now I just want him to come home."

Doggett put a hand on her shoulder. "I know you do. He'll be home soon enough. We'll work things out soon. I'm going to have to twist some arms at the Bureau with Skinner's help, but I'll make sure that Mulder won't have a problem coming back to work," Scully said, "Thank you, John. He'll appreciate it."

"It's what I do, Dana," Doggett said. "He'll be home before you know it."

"Yeah."

Scully looked at Doggett, then back to Mulder. They had managed a full circle. When Mulder had been abducted the first time, she didn't know if she should trust Doggett or not, this time she trusted him fully.

She smiled at how much the same it was, yet how different too. Mulder lay in a hospital bed. She wasn't pregnant this time. Doggett was the one who helped her with the case, and she didn't hide from him this time. Sometimes coming full circle was the best thing in the whole world. It made her think about what would have happened if John Doggett had never joined the X-Files. Would she still be the woman looking for Mulder with a small child in tow, alone and wondering if she'd ever see him again? It made her think.

"What are you thinking about, Dana?" Doggett asked her.

"How things come full circle. It's amazing isn't it?" she said, looking at him.

He smiled at her. "That it is, Dana. That it is."

The End

Read More Like This Write One Like This
Pregnant Others
Kids with Others list
Lamaze Class
Baby/Kidfic plot Generator
One Each Way Challenge
Other Family Holidays Challenge
Return to The Nursery Files home