Title: A Greater Intelligence
Author: loveJanick
Written: May 2001
Feedback: http://www.geocities.com/lovejanick/
Rating: PG-13
Category: MSR, UST/RST, V
Spoilers: "all things", "Per Manum" and "Existence" (post episode/season eight)
Archiving: If you like it, post it...
Disclaimer: Just thought it could have been a good plot twist, if it would have been more of a soap-like show.

Summary: What happened after the long awaited kiss... What happened that time when Scully walked away from Mulder who lying in his bed...

Author's notes: I'm so anxious to find out how they will deal with the MSR next season since Mulder won't be back...


He bent down and she moved up to meet him halfway. As his lips finally made contact with hers, she remembered why she had been so patient with him. He couldn't have known that their only intimate time together had produced a miracle, the miracle that he had told her never to give up on. It's not that he hadn't trust her, but more that he hadn't trust himself. Now, they were back on the right track.

"Will you stay tonight?" she asked as she broke the kiss and the silence that had fallen upon them.

"Only tonight?" He grinned his answer back.

"Will you stay forever?" she shyly replied.

"If you'll let me, I gladly will." He finally smiled.

At the sound of his new nickname, William, sighed and Scully decided to put him to bed. Mulder followed her, watching her every move, learning how to parent their son. He was marveled by the beauty of it all. Everything was now as it always should have been and should always be from then on, everything as if the greater intelligence in all thing had chosen to give them a break to taste a normal life.

"What?" Scully wondered aloud when she noticed Mulder was staring at her.

"Nothing..." he lied, but quickly saved himself. "I just realized that this is it. This is the end of the line."

"End of the line?!" she repeated, worried about the significance of the words.

"This is where my old life ends and my new one begins, with you and William," he confessed to her as he approached her to take her in his arms.

"You scared me there, for a minute," she admitted.

"It wasn't on purpose," he defended himself.

"But..." she paused. "Are you saying your work is done on the X-Files? That you are giving up your life long quest?" she asked him.

"You know I'm not that type of guy," he giggled. "I'm just putting it aside for a while, in order to concentrate on our little family..." He stopped to look at her. "No matter how long it takes," he specified.

"I'm glad about that decision. And, I am so proud of you right now." She held him tight against her chest.

"You can't even begin to imagine how happy I am for you, William, myself and us."

And, with these words, he bent down again to kiss her. As before, she moved up to meet him halfway. When their lips touched, they both felt the electricity running between them. They both remembered the night this really all started. It was the night he came back from Stonehenge and she decided to put a part of her life behind, the part about her relationship with Daniel Waterston. They had tea...


She had fallen asleep on his shoulder after their cups of tea and he had let her sleep on her couch while he opted for his bed. When she woke up in the middle of the night, alone in the living room, she had went into Mulder's bedroom and had slipped under his covers, beside him. Mulder wasn't asleep, but he made her think that he was. He was too surprised by her daunting move.

Before she had time to take off to dreamland, he had curled up against her, behind her back. He had put his arms around her little waist and his face along her neck. She felt nervous for the very first time in her life, but she was still as comfortable as ever with his arms around her. She turned around to face him and he smiled at her. Her nervousness suddenly went away. She trusted him.

"I know I told you that I wouldn't want a child to come in the way between us..." Mulder had begun slowly. "But, the fact is that I love you so much is hurts."

"Prove it to me, Mulder," she had demanded of him.

And, he had made love to her. They had undressed each other gently, taking the time to study one another carefully. They had kissed and held one another tightly, as if it would be the only time they would ever consummate their relationship together. When they were about to get to seventh heaven, Scully felt Mulder's tears fall upon her face.

She opened her eyes to look up and he was crying.

"What's wrong?" she had asked him.

"I am making love to the only woman I have ever loved and desired in my life," he had mumbled. "It feels so surreal and I'm afraid..." he had paused. "I'm afraid that this is only a dream and, when I wake up, you won't be there anymore."

"I love you, Mulder," she had finally confessed to him.

"Thank you!" he had murmured in her ear as they came and he fell beside her.

It wasn't long before Mulder was asleep after that event. And, Scully felt regret and sorrow. As long as she could remember, she had always loved him. But, she felt things were going to fast that night. So, she broke Mulder's heart by leaving him alone in his bed. When he woke up the next morning, he cried. They never talked about it after that, not even after he was returned from his abduction.


Now, back in real time, he had to confront her about this. She just asked him never to leave her, but she had left him a few months ago.

She didn't turn his back on him, but she did turn her back on the relationship they could have had after becoming lovers. Now, she wanted to start anew. And, she expected him to act as if nothing had ever happened before. Of course, he could do it.

"What's wrong?" she wondered aloud again when he broke the kiss.

"I think I'm the one who should be asking you to stay," he admitted.

"I'm so sorry, Mulder." she burst into tears. "I thought about staying over that night, but I was afraid of the implications," she confessed. "And, I feel that you would never have left for Oregon if things would have been different."

"Don't be sorry, Scully." He grinned to reassure her he was alright with her choice. "It was mostly my fault since I rushed us into it.

And, by the way, I would have went to Oregon..." he paused to look at her worried reaction. "But, I would have thought twice before I boarded the spaceship."

"Mulder!?" she giggled as she punched him on his shoulder as his compunction.

"This time, we'll take it slowly," he told her, sure of himself.

"Well, we won't have much of a choice with William around." she laughed as she dried her tears. "But, parenthood is a huge step into a relationship." she precised.

"I'm ready if you are..." he ended as they walked up to her bed.

The End


Followed by A Great Risk

Read More Like This Write One Like This
Baby William
Births
Season Eight Missing Scenes Challenge Pack
Season Nine Missing Scenes Challenge Pack


Return to The Nursery Files home